PCIe SSD success?

Author
jayworldtrav
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2014/08/27 14:12:14 (permalink)
Hi gang,
So I picked a shiny new Plextor m6e PCIe SSD for my p55 FTW board. Figured if I couldn't do my next build ($$$) all at once, I'd upgrade the one variable that would give me early benefits (High disc I/O in my case).

New shiny delivered, I planned on performing the installation and migrating my Win7 OS over from a disc image backup using native Windows Backup utility, after disconnecting the current OS HDD (never had a problem with this technique in the past) - easy as pie, right? But, couldn't even get that far.

The BIOS sees the card, and a pretty little Plextor screen announces the card/firmware version upon power-up; but I cannot get my Recovery DVD or even the original Win7 install DVD to load, it spins up then stops, and nothing happens but a black screen with blinking cursor. The POST code stops at 36 or 37 each time.

I've done the usual: disconnected all but key peripherals, removed my 2nd GPU, etc, but I'm never able to get the optical drive to continue spinning and load my recovery tools. In addition, I can reconnect the original OS HDD and load Windows normally, and then format and use the m6e as storage; even installed a game to it to test for sh*ts and giggles (and had to change my pants).

So, I figured I'd reach out to the evga community of p55 users to see if anyone else had successfully installed a PCIe SSD card on their own board. How did you do it?

Or, maybe someone can illuminate the POST 36 and 37 codes? The information I can find via manuals or searches seems pretty useless.

Or, maybe someone could offer some next steps for troubleshooting? I've heard of problems booting from PCIe SSD's, but I'm not even at that point yet. Further, this device is certified to work with both UEFI as well as legacy BIOS. I found a blurb on-line about possible power deficiencies, but this is a PCIe 2.0 x2 half riser card in the boards x4 slot, don't think it's worth chasing that idea...

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

Intel core i7 860 SLBJJ Batch L938B301
Intel SSD X25-M G2R5 02HD Batch 145267
3 Western Digital Sata HDD
Evga P55FTW e657
Evga Nvidia GTX275 1792GB
Corsair H50 CLC (CPU)
Corsair  8GB Dominator CMD8GX3M4A1600C8
Corsair 850TX PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932Case
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

1 Reply Related Threads

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1114
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PCIe SSD success? 2014/08/28 01:17:57 (permalink)
    Here is a long shot, put windows disc into dvd player, click computer, Drag windows from dvd player to Plextor SSD also any other driver you may need the same way. Then retry using Plextor as boot.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile