EVGA

Monitors won't wake!

Author
frag06
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/27 13:16:03 (permalink)
Recently I have been having this problem. It just started today. When my monitors turn off (set to after five minutes), they will not turn back on. No matter if I move the mouse, use the keyboard, they won't turn on. The only way to fix the problem is to do a reset via the power button.

I just bought an EVGA SC GTX 770 . I have been using it for a few days, but this problem just started today. I did take it out yesterday to remove the motherboard, however (to install new cooler).

I have two 1080p displays and have never had this problem before. I have tried different keyboards and mice with the same results. I have also tried different USB ports. When I press the power button on the monitor, it shows no active signal.

I have heard of this possibly being a driver issue, but it seems odd it would start now. That issue was also reported to start after 36 hours, but this starts immediately after the displays enter sleep.
I have the 2774 version of the EVGA 770. I am running an i7 990x. I have an HP x58 motherboard (Asus Sabertooth crapped out). The computer is set to never sleep or hibernate. I have had the card for a few days, but this problem just started this morning.

Any help is appreciated.
post edited by frag06 - 2014/08/27 13:18:09

11 Replies Related Threads

Wingless Wonder
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 151
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/27 18:02:17 (permalink)
    If you set the monitors to stay on instead of turning off after 5 minutes, do they stay on? Presently, can you tell if your system is still active when the monitors turn off? What I mean by that is, are all normal Windows processes still running in the background when the monitors have switched off? I would test this by playing an MP3 in looped play.

Have you tried swapping your previous graphics card for the 770 to see if the odd behavior still continues?

It might be helpful to list your other system specs (o/s, GeForce driver version, etc.).

Intel® Core™ i7-4790K cpu, Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
    Gigabyte Z97X-UD3P-BK mobo
    32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
    Corsair AX1200i power supply
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD (NVMe) boot drive
    WD 2tb Enterprise HDD data drive
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD battery backup UPS
    _JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 07:02:30 (permalink)
    Frag06, you may want to take a look at this FAQ that may be able to help with the problem you are having.
    http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59502 

frag06
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 10:29:53 (permalink)
    Wingless Wonder
    If you set the monitors to stay on instead of turning off after 5 minutes, do they stay on? Presently, can you tell if your system is still active when the monitors turn off? What I mean by that is, are all normal Windows processes still running in the background when the monitors have switched off? I would test this by playing an MP3 in looped play.

Have you tried swapping your previous graphics card for the 770 to see if the odd behavior still continues?

It might be helpful to list your other system specs (o/s, GeForce driver version, etc.).

They stay on, at least until the computer randomly reboots. Now sure why that is happening either. Not sure if everything is still active when the monitors are off, but the computer does stay on.

I haven't swapped it out yet, but that is probably the next thing I will do. I have an i7 990x, 12GB RAM and an HP IPMTB-TK motherboard (Asus Sabertooth crapped out). All of this is running on a brand new 750w EVGA Supernova G2. These problems just started after installing the new GPU and PSU, but oddly everything was fine for a few days after installing them.

Drivers are the current 340.52.

EVGATech_JoseR
    Frag06, you may want to take a look at this FAQ that may be able to help with the problem you are having.

I'll give it a look.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 10:37:58 (permalink)
    frag06
    They stay on, at least until the computer randomly reboots. Now sure why that is happening either.

Sounds like something else is given you issues. Is this a completely random, no BSOD, reboot?

How old is your PSU?

It's not entirely pointing toward a GPU problem if the whole system is suddenly rebooting, so you need to post full details and system specs so that others can look much deeper into what you are experiencing. If the computer is doing anything different, do of leave it out. The random reboot info is pretty important as well.
    frag06
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 15:19:45 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    frag06
    They stay on, at least until the computer randomly reboots. Now sure why that is happening either.

Sounds like something else is given you issues. Is this a completely random, no BSOD, reboot?

How old is your PSU?

It's not entirely pointing toward a GPU problem if the whole system is suddenly rebooting, so you need to post full details and system specs so that others can look much deeper into what you are experiencing. If the computer is doing anything different, do of leave it out. The random reboot info is pretty important as well.

i7 990x
    12GB Samsung RAM
    EVGA SC GTX 770 (Brand new!)
    EVGA Supernova G2 750W (Brand new! Bought with card)
    Samsung 840 Pro (OS)
    Seagate Barracuda
    HP IPMTB-TK X58 motherboard (non UEFI BIOS. Old Asus Sabertooth crapped out.)
    Windows 8.1

My monitors will not wake. Sometimes they do, but most of the time I have to use the power button to turn the computer off. This seems to happen at random. Earlier today they wouldn't wake, but just now they came back on without a problem. This started yesterday morning. I had taken the card out the night before to install a new CPU heatsink, but had no problem that night after reinstalling the card.

After the monitor issue started, my computer also started to reboot at random. It first started once I hit the lock screen, as it would reboot straight back to the BIOS screen. Then on the second boot, it usually let me sign in. Everything would be fine after this, at least until the monitors would turn off. But, at some point, it started rebooting randomly. It didn't matter what I was doing, it would just happen at random. I turned it off at some point yesterday, and it would not POST. It gave me two short beeps and one long beep, which I believe is related to either the GPU or the RAM, with it much more likely being the GPU at this point. After not posting a few times, it finally booted into windows. After this, the same errors have continued.

I never had any of the stated problems before installing this GTX 770. I have been reading up on this, and many others have had this same issue or a very similar one. The problem has been anywhere from a faulty PSU to it being an issue specific to EVGA 700 series cards. Some have said bad card BIOS, but I'm not totally sure. My friend has an MSI 770 and uses it on his old HP motherboard without any problems.

Any help is appreciated.
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 15:27:32 (permalink)
    Out of curiosity, have you tried reinstalling Windows?  Not really the solution you're looking for, I know, but it might be some sort of a conflict within the OS.  I usually suggest to try installing Windows on a spare hard drive, if you have one, without getting rid of your main OS, to see if the monitors continue to behave the same way.  If they begin working normally, then there's probably some conflict within the OS or drivers.  If they keep working the same way, then it's not really a software issue.a

Also, have you tried reseating the video card since this problem began?

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    frag06
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 15:34:41 (permalink)
    NordicJedi
    Out of curiosity, have you tried reinstalling Windows?  Not really the solution you're looking for, I know, but it might be some sort of a conflict within the OS.  I usually suggest to try installing Windows on a spare hard drive, if you have one, without getting rid of your main OS, to see if the monitors continue to behave the same way.  If they begin working normally, then there's probably some conflict within the OS or drivers.  If they keep working the same way, then it's not really a software issue.a

Also, have you tried reseating the video card since this problem began?

I don't think it's an OS issue, but I'll have to look into that. I have reseated it. Didn't help :(

May need to try a new EVGA 770. If that doesn't work, may need to buy from a different manufacturer :( . But I don't know if even that would help. Hoping it isn't a huge issue and can be easily solved.

Thanks.
    post edited by frag06 - 2014/08/28 15:44:09
    Wingless Wonder
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 17:17:09 (permalink)
    frag06
    I haven't swapped it out yet, but that is probably the next thing I will do. I have an i7 990x, 12GB RAM and an HP IPMTB-TK motherboard (Asus Sabertooth crapped out). All of this is running on a brand new 750w EVGA Supernova G2. These problems just started after installing the new GPU and PSU, but oddly everything was fine for a few days after installing them.

Others have posted good suggestions for you to try, but swapping your old card back in (assuming it was functioning normally when you removed it) might tell you if the problem is the new 770 or something else, if the problems continue with the old card installed. It's an easy swap and costs you nothing but a few minutes of your time, other than waiting for the problems to re-occur.

Intel® Core™ i7-4790K cpu, Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
    Gigabyte Z97X-UD3P-BK mobo
    32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
    Corsair AX1200i power supply
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD (NVMe) boot drive
    WD 2tb Enterprise HDD data drive
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD battery backup UPS
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 17:57:29 (permalink)
    Did you remove the power cables when you pulled the gpu to replace the cooler? If so, just for giggles, make sure all of the cables on the PSU, motherboard and gpu are seated secure. Try the plastic connector and give each and every cable a push as well, to make sure they are seated properly into the connector. It could be something as simple as 1 wire being loose inside the connector, and hopefully that is what it is.
    frag06
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 18:38:57 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Did you remove the power cables when you pulled the gpu to replace the cooler? If so, just for giggles, make sure all of the cables on the PSU, motherboard and gpu are seated secure. Try the plastic connector and give each and every cable a push as well, to make sure they are seated properly into the connector. It could be something as simple as 1 wire being loose inside the connector, and hopefully that is what it is.

Yes, I disconnected and reconnected the VGA cables. I also reseated the graphics card. It was pretty loose, so much so that it wasn't even straight (sort of hanging). How that happened I have no idea, as it was nice and secure when I reseated it yesterday. But it was also pretty hard to remove from the PCIe slot this time. I did get it out, though, and made sure it was nice and secure before closing the case.

Hopefully this fixes it. If not, hopefully the 900 series September release (can't post link, Google it) turns out to be true so I can just get a 970 or 980.

Thanks for the help.

post edited by frag06 - 2014/08/28 18:43:14
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Monitors won't wake! 2014/08/28 19:01:23 (permalink)
    What's bios is on that HP temp mobo your using? It may just need to be updated for tbe 7xx series card.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile