Got a seriously annoying reboot issue.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/08/26 12:04:57 (permalink)
In your motherboard BIOS, what do you see as the readings for the 3.3v., 5v., and 12v.?  It would be in a monitoring menu (H/W Monitor, PC Health Status, Hardware Monitor, etc.).

I generally agree that it sounds like the psu is giving out under load.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
ledgman
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/08/26 17:25:59 (permalink)
Corsair coughed up, I've got a replacement on it's way. HOPEFULLY this resolves my issue, if not then I'm going to have to start replacing parts until I find the culprit. :(
ledgman
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/08/26 22:29:22 (permalink)
I've just been playing Skyrim, Ultra everything with mods and I played for 4 hours, not a problem, no reboots, nothing.

What would seem the more likely culprit now? I think it may be software related seeing as it's ONLY CS:GO that I crash on.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/08/26 22:34:44 (permalink)

ledgman
I play Counter strike quite a lot and recently out of nowhere, my computer just shutdowns like somebody pulled the power, and reboots itself. It only happens during gaming.

To me this screams PSU issue. 

ledgman
I've just been playing Skyrim, Ultra everything with mods and I played for 4 hours, not a problem, no reboots, nothing.

What would seem the more likely culprit now? I think it may be software related seeing as it's ONLY CS:GO that I crash on.

Best way to get rid of software conflicts would be to perform a clean boot of windows or re-install windows completely.
utparatrooper
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/08/27 05:38:44 (permalink)
I experienced a very similar situation as well. PSU was slowly dying and it started with random reboots during games, eventually becoming more frequent. Initially, running Heaven and Valley didn't cause the same reboot, but it did get to the point where I couldn't even run those benchmarks. 

I replaced the PSU and all was well. Just make sure you have some form of surge protector on your new PSU. I live in a high rise apt building and I have come to realize that (I am speculating) every now and then I get odd power spikes that plays havoc to the AC, dishwasher, etc. If I had to guess, that was what happened to my PSU, but not 100% sure, just guessing. 

After I replaced the PSU all was well. Corsair has a great RMA program with PSUs.
ledgman
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/08/27 10:32:20 (permalink)
utparatrooper
I experienced a very similar situation as well. PSU was slowly dying and it started with random reboots during games, eventually becoming more frequent. Initially, running Heaven and Valley didn't cause the same reboot, but it did get to the point where I couldn't even run those benchmarks. 

I replaced the PSU and all was well. Just make sure you have some form of surge protector on your new PSU. I live in a high rise apt building and I have come to realize that (I am speculating) every now and then I get odd power spikes that plays havoc to the AC, dishwasher, etc. If I had to guess, that was what happened to my PSU, but not 100% sure, just guessing. 

After I replaced the PSU all was well. Corsair has a great RMA program with PSUs.

Funny you should mention that surge protector. My house light bulbs keep blowing randomly over the past month and my electric oven won't heat up as of last week. Could be something with the electrics..

I'm going to get an electrician out just to be safe. I've already RMA'd the PSU so it can't hurt. :P Yeah I admit, Corsair do provide solid warranty. :)
NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/08/27 22:04:49 (permalink)
Yeah, regardless of the PSU situation, you need to get the electric situation checked out first.  That's just not normal.  Unless, of course, your house is possessed.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
ledgman
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/08/27 22:50:59 (permalink)
NordicJedi
Yeah, regardless of the PSU situation, you need to get the electric situation checked out first.  That's just not normal.  Unless, of course, your house is possessed.

Yeah I need that sorting out. I've formatted then reinstalled Windows 8.1, got CS:GO and it shut-down on my 3rd game of casual. 
I got a reply from Corsair today, they wanted the usual receipts etc. Hopefully it's not too long!

These are the only programs I installed which I always have, ever since ever.

ledgman
Re: Got a seriously annoying reboot issue. 2014/09/02 20:17:35 (permalink)
Got my new power supply and everything's perfect. Been playing CS:GO all day without any restarts. :D

Thanks for all your help guys!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile