EVGA

Need help with Deleting Multiple Printers and Multimedia devices at once on windows

Author
XPAN7ER
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 308
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2014/08/22 19:10:46 (permalink)
Hey guys, I need some ideas how to best deal with this. And I don't want to go down the route of wiping and installing win7 on it.

I use my personal laptop to program home automation, this means I'm in several homes a week integrating systems into peoples home networks. I purchased a new laptop and love it, but it did come with win8.1....So yeah I've been finding things I like and don't like about it. The lack of windows wireless network management gui is incredibly frustration. I have found a 3rd party app to fill that void, but not being able to delete multiple printers and multimedia devices at a time and this is killing me. I can have 40-50 printers xbox's and god knows what else smiling at me when I open my devices and printers folder. Its cluttering up the place. It wouldn't be so bad if they were hidden, but I'm not ever going to use them, and it makes it hard to find the actual attached devices.

20+ minutes every week deleting these one by one is not the answer. This just seems like it shouldn't be an issue....  I'm thinking there has to be a direct path or way to delete all quicker. Has any one ran into this before? am I missing something? If so what did you do to get around this? 

I was kicking around google for a minute and found a path to delete more than one printer at a time. "shell:PrintersFolder" Its a start. Does anyone know of other direct paths for multimedia devices, tv's ect? It would be nice if script or bat file could automate this process. 

As always thank you in advance for your help.

6 Replies Related Threads

James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4336
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Need help with Deleting Multiple Printers and Multimedia devices at once on windows 2014/08/23 12:05:09 (permalink)
    XPAN7ER
    Hey guys, I need some ideas how to best deal with this. And I don't want to go down the route of wiping and installing win7 on it.

I use my personal laptop to program home automation, this means I'm in several homes a week integrating systems into peoples home networks. I purchased a new laptop and love it, but it did come with win8.1....So yeah I've been finding things I like and don't like about it. The lack of windows wireless network management gui is incredibly frustration. I have found a 3rd party app to fill that void, but not being able to delete multiple printers and multimedia devices at a time and this is killing me. I can have 40-50 printers xbox's and god knows what else smiling at me when I open my devices and printers folder. Its cluttering up the place. It wouldn't be so bad if they were hidden, but I'm not ever going to use them, and it makes it hard to find the actual attached devices.

20+ minutes every week deleting these one by one is not the answer. This just seems like it shouldn't be an issue....  I'm thinking there has to be a direct path or way to delete all quicker. Has any one ran into this before? am I missing something? If so what did you do to get around this? 

I was kicking around google for a minute and found a path to delete more than one printer at a time. "shell:PrintersFolder" Its a start. Does anyone know of other direct paths for multimedia devices, tv's ect? It would be nice if script or bat file could automate this process. 

As always thank you in advance for your help.

You might want to take a look at the following artlcle: Powershell: Managing Printers and their Drivers in Windows 8. It's a possible step in the right direction. You'd most likely need to use a powershell script within a batch file to find all the devices/printers you don't normally have assigned locally at your home, pass that to a text file for names specifically and then use the powershell commands to eliminate them from your system. Maybe it might be easier to configure your Windows 8 system to not automatically search out and install them instead.

XPAN7ER
    iCX Member
    Re: Need help with Deleting Multiple Printers and Multimedia devices at once on windows 2014/08/23 15:04:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link, I'll give it a good read this weekend.

So to set windows not to auto install these devices, I need to change these settings to "Never install driver software from windows update" in Device Installation Settings window. And turn this back on when I'm at home or need to install a new device? 
    James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4336
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Need help with Deleting Multiple Printers and Multimedia devices at once on windows 2014/08/23 16:27:21 (permalink)
    XPAN7ER
    Thanks for the link, I'll give it a good read this weekend.

So to set windows not to auto install these devices, I need to change these settings to "Never install driver software from windows update" in Device Installation Settings window. And turn this back on when I'm at home or need to install a new device? 

Pretty much. That will certainly help keep devices from being installed when you are on location elsewhere.

XPAN7ER
    iCX Member
    Re: Need help with Deleting Multiple Printers and Multimedia devices at once on windows 2014/08/23 17:41:52 (permalink)
    OK, Thank you.
    Fiius
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2825
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Need help with Deleting Multiple Printers and Multimedia devices at once on windows 2014/08/25 08:56:31 (permalink)
    It may be easier to turn off Network Discovery - then it will stop searching and installing devices.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9840-network-discovery-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

~Fus

"Abyss v2"
    | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | Core i5 3570k w/ XSPC Raystorm Waterblock | Corsair AX-650 |
    | 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws X PC3-1600 10-10-10-30 (BXL) |
    | EVGA GTX 670 w/ Heatkiller LT 13105 + Backplate | Crucial M4 240GB SSD | 2x HGST 4TB |
    | Fractal Design Arc Mini | 2x PULL AP-15s on Swiftech MCR240 | D5 w/ Koolance COV-PMP450A Top |
    | Win7 x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp 2408WFPb | Dell UltraSharp 2407 WFPb |
    XPAN7ER
    iCX Member
    Re: Need help with Deleting Multiple Printers and Multimedia devices at once on windows 2014/08/25 15:09:13 (permalink)
    Thanks, I'll look at that when I get home today.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile