EVGA

please help

Author
Eklipz
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/21 20:27:14 (permalink)
I have Evga x85 M.B. with I-7 920 2.6 running an O.C. of 4.2; 6 gigs G.Skill DDR3 (99924). air cooled with temp @35C at idol and 75C when massive stress testing. average running temp is 45C. running win 7 ult. I have been running this system for oh 3-5 years now. It has had a lot of time sitting as i was an over the road trucker. any who My system is running sluggish. I recently revamped my power consumption and thought i might try playing with a ram oc too. never did find a stable ram oc but then i am a Nub lol i built this machine with aid from a friend. i thought it might be malware and all that jazz so i currently have paid version of Spy-bot (Love it!) Bit Defender internet security or what ever they want to call it. free malware bytes free avast. after running scans i did find 163 issues with spy-bot 2 things with bit-defender 20 malware bytes.
after cleaning all that out rebooting, cleaning up the system and defragging... still sluggish any thoughts? is it my voltage? or something else. If you need more info from me just let me know i will be monitoring this thread. It may take a bit but i will get you an requested info you wish. thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

_JamesR
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 253
    Re: please help 2014/08/21 20:41:28 (permalink)
    As this issue is a strange one, you may consider entering the BIOS and setting up your RAM timings as specified by the manufacturer of your RAM set. These settings are usually printed on the RAM itself; if not, you'll have to find the model RAM you own on the manufacturer website to find the settings. They're usually marked as 9-9-9-24 or something similar. If you have XMP profiles enabled, disable them for the time being. I've seen this fix similar issues with other x58s, and may well apply here.

If that doesn't do it, consider either a reinstall of Windows, or unplugging your main OS drive, plugging in a spare and installing Windows to that. This will at the least help eliminate your current OS install as an issue.

EVGA Z97 Classified w/ i7 4790 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite | 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0 | EVGA 1000w G2 | Samsung EVO 840 120GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 3TB | 3x WD 2TB (Raid-5) | Corsair H100i GTX | 3x Asus VS278P-Q 27" 1080p 1ms GTG monitor (surround) | 1 Monoprice 28" 4K 5ms GTG (accessory)
    ZROCKMAN
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 349
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: please help 2014/08/21 21:17:54 (permalink)
    Eklipz :  Firstly , I don't know what you are using for GPU's or (video cards).  And your RAM timings of : 9-9-9-24 are probably the stock timings , although they can also run in single (1T) or dual (2T) speeds , they should be running stock timings in (2T) not (1T).  I am running 5-5-5-24 (2T) now , and if I turn the timings down , I can run 4-4-4-24 (2T).  If you download CPU-Z , you will be able to see your RAM timings as registered from a source outside any mobo software , to confirm what they are.  The same goes for your video cards , download GPU-Z and look at the GPU core speed and memory speed.  Any decent video card must be running either 1 of 2 types of onboard memory (either GDDR4 or GDDR5) - the latter of which is better.  If your video card has GDDR3 onboard memory , it is more for WinXP operating systems and software programs.  Definately , you have been trusting file scanning software - which has been proven by myself to contain very cleverly hidden detriments , such as tracking your every keystroke.  Sometimes a sudden slowdown can be attributed to hacking , where your machine is actually being monitored from 2 sources , your own and the hacker's.  With an I7 920 OC'd to 4.2ghz , it is needless to say that isn't easy to maintain , so the slightest problem is magnified moreso with the OC.  You could also determine some sort of area of the problem by reassessing your computer with the Win7 Aero assessment tool to get your computer's score updated , and pinpoint what is the worst performing segment or component of your system.  This could also be a PSU problem , where the PSU is not supplying power properly , or other things.  Without a process of elimination , it's hard to say , but if you use CPU-Z and GPU-z , plus the assessment program in Win7 they should allow you to spot something abnormal.  Worst case scenario , is to clear the CMOS , and test the default bios settings to determine if the problem exists within your overclock as well (do that last).
    post edited by ZROCKMAN - 2014/08/21 21:21:46
    Eklipz
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: please help 2014/08/27 19:50:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the good info. I hit a point where i was sooo unstable that i had no choice but to wipe and reload the OS (win 7 ult 64). Yay! this was after i had cleared 160 (no joke) spy and malware issues and ummm 4 viruses. Note: not sure what any of you think of bit defender .... but this happend on its watch never had that with avast dunno why I switched. yes i am running default timings on ram. i have reverted to default and may be turning things back up once i make sure i am good and stable all the way around.  i never did try to push my ram on my first oc settings but think i may try this time through.
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1114
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: please help 2014/08/27 21:02:10 (permalink)
    I dont know if your running a HD or SSD but for sluggish drives click (computer),(C drive),(properties),(disc cleanup) then let it run.It will ask you to remove files, remove the ones listed unless its something you need. This will improve HD speed and remove clutter adding critical space on your drive.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile