Suggestions for Projects

Author
BadBertie
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 852
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2014/08/20 05:09:35 (permalink)
Thanks to a prod from bcav I've moved forward, slightly, from just "thinking about it".
Now in the inquisitive investigation stage. Glad to see many of the usual suspects here too.
Bonjour
Don't really know what resources I'll be committing yet. I guess part of that, as AB says, is down to the projects I'd like to contribute to. So maybe another general prod forward would be appreciated.
Hardware -
My hardware currently folding that may switch to Crunching - got two G34 rigs folding -bigadv (64-core & 48-core) which i may switch over, depending on what happens when/if -bigadv stops. - got 3x670s and a 780 rig which are currently getting ambushed by core15 projects (the apparent mis-match of projects/hardware/reward is annoying).
I also still have a few 4P socket-F boards (retired after -bigadv core limit increased) that could also be brought back into play.
But I'll be moving house sometime soon, maybe only for the shortterm - can't say atm, so hard to commit anything yet.
Project preference -
I'm a sciency kind of chap and am looking to contribute to our understanding of the natural sciences and the betterment of humanity -ish. Projects such as SETI, in my mind, do not fit into those categories (though I won't criticise others that feel to the contrary). And while I'd love to find a prime number, that's more my ego talking
Feel free to pose suggestions

KTM Super Duke R EVO

13 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/20 05:29:20 (permalink)
    Great News and back to Purple I see.
    Stats: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teambycpid&team=Crunching@EVGA 
    I Split some of my Rigs to Fold on GPU's while Crunching on CPU Cores.
    GPU:
    The only Project I have that is I am able to set the settings for the GPU is Collatz Conjecture I run their Long Projects and Solo projects set them to use 1 CPU Core: app_config.xml
    12 hour or day Crunching only
    <app_config>
    <app>
    <name>solo_collatz</name>
    <max_concurrent>3</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1.0</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

or * 24 Hours usage

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>large_collatz</name>
    <max_concurrent>3</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1.0</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

You will also need to setup your usage on their site under you account.

Part of what I like running BOINC Projects over Folding Projects. Folding Projects you get only what they give you.

I use To manage all my projects add projects and set what to Crunch GPU CPU and so on. You do not have to use this site to use BOINC and run Projects I found it easy to use. When you add a Project Bam! will go out and setup your account on the project Web Site. You do need to then long on with your account on each project and setup what you want to do.

When you setup the first time use lower case letters in your email address on ALL Projects.
    This is what ties all your projects together along with your account name. Some site Most you long on with your email address and some like Bam! your account name.

CPU:
    If Crunching on PrmeGrid LLR project we have found for the LONG Running ones that is to turn OFF HT in your Bios.
    But Not all CPU Project need HT turned off. I use HT on most Crunching Projects.
    The CPU usage you will need to play with in the BOINC Manager *Software. Most GPU Projects will show what CPU usage is for each running GPU to allow you to select the % of CPU *Cores you want to use on your Rig. I try to keep below 100% CPU Usage and run between 85%-95% on my 24 Hour Crunching Rigs. This Rig or my DarkTitan I keep below 85% to allow using for email web use and writing in this Forum.

Had to take a break, more to follow.

Not sure if you can see this link http://boincstats.com/en/bam/signup/ but once you have a Bam! account setup this is the projects you can sign up for. It will show you the type of Project they are like Astrophysics Biology Chemistry Computing Earth Sciences Mathematics Mechanics Physics Rendering and Umbrella project. Not all are active projects like RNA over the last two months I have had may 10 Projects from them to run.

User Of The Day to get a user of the day you will need to setup a Profile on EACH Project web site, some you must have so many point before you can create one. Orange_1050 show 6 and mine shows 13 in the far right on our banners.
    More Posts on UOTD http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2096209 

Banner up next See for more info http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2204544
    http://signature.statseb.fr is the web site to setup your Banner.

I moved my BigAdv Rigs over to Crunching Months ago, while they will take MUCH longer to complete Projects then the Intel CPU you can complete a lot of projects at once. I am till on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS because I could not get the GPU to Crunch. Also after my 4P reboots I have to run sudo service boinc-client stop and then sudo service boinc-client start  to get the GPU to work. I do not have this issue on my 2P Rig. To install BOINC see Post http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2125796
    Under Ubuntu 14.04 the current version is install from the Ubuntu Software Center.

Viper97 This is our Graphics Artist and Best Pal. Creator of the COTM

Orange_1050 Is My Rival and Best Friend in Crunching.

Creator of the POTM was Khalifrio, Sorry.

Current POTM  Current Stats:  http://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/users_team.php?&lang=en&team=142992 

Got to go to Work Have a Day.
     37/72
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/08/21 19:16:53

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Orange_1050
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1202
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/20 05:49:39 (permalink)
    Ay BadBertie, what a pleasant surprise. First, me and girlfriend bought ourself a new car today, now this....
    I suspect I might have a small glass of something red this evening to celebrate. Perhaps something French???

If you are into finding prime numbers, I suggest PrimeGid.
    http://www.primegrid.com/
    They have a good selection of alternate way's of searching for primes. From short 5min cpu WU's to 200hrs gpu wu's.

One of the sweet things in crunching, you have a huge selection of different projects in many categories.
    You are always free to support any project of your desire.
    Also there are challenges, mostly team challenges, were we compete in the most friendly matters against other teams.
    And yes, I agree, this is indeed "Moving Forward"

You are most welcome

Edit. Nice edit bcavnaugh.... you are the best
    post edited by Orange_1050 - 2014/08/20 06:55:52

My Virgin Prime: 433*2^2188076+1 (658680 digits)

BadBertie
    SSC Member
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/20 06:56:23 (permalink)
    Orange_1050
    Ay BadBertie, what a pleasant surprise. First, me and girlfriend bought ourself a new car today, now this....
    I suspect I might have a small glass of something red this evening to celebrate. Perhaps something French???

Not sure I'm quite up there with "new car" status but the welcome is appreciated
    If you are considering something French, it's a bit warm for red for me atm, so might I suggest a bottle of rosey - anything from Bandol, and the paler in colour the better (if it's electric pink run away!), well chilled.

KTM Super Duke R EVO
    yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/20 08:25:26 (permalink)
    Welcome Your Badness!

Rosetta currently has work (CPU). I think you'll find the subject matter (protein shaping) to your liking.
    World Community Grid also should interest you. Bio-medical and earth-science.
    RNA World says it has work but I've not run it lately.

Crunching@EVGA has a team in almost every project and you can join from the sign up pages of the individual projects. Good luck and we are here to help.

BTW, never to warm for the red grape imho!

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/20 08:34:05 (permalink)
    I'm down with a tepid bottle of Ripple or Annie Green Springs!

sajinor
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 377
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/20 09:26:52 (permalink)
    It was not too long ago I was in the same boat. My GTX 780 was picking up core 15s, so I started looking around on the crunching side. I enjoy the space projects (minus SETI, I could just never get into it) and those for the betterment of man kind (especially health). The following are the projects I have tried out so far, and my view on them:

• Collatz Conjecture (GPU). It was fun to rack up points quickly, but I didn't really care about the work being done. I only ran it during a contest.
    • POGs (CPU). I enjoy this one. Mapping space, and they make it fun with the unique trophies.
    • Prime Grid (CPU and GPU). This one is fun during the contests, but I generally don't run it otherwise because, again, I don't really care about the work.
    • Asteroids (CPU and GPU). More space work, but I would recommend others.
    • Einstein (CPU and GPU). Even more space work. I like this one, but I would like to see them modernize their stuff.
    • Enigma (CPU) I ran this one during a contest. Again, I didn't care much about the work.
    • Rosetta (CPU) This one appears to do work very similar to folding. It seemed to work well, but I just went back to asking, "Why not just do folding?" I only ran it during a contest.
    • POEM (CPU and GPU?) See Rosetta.
    • Mind Modelling (CPU) One of my favorites, but it is out of work more often than not. The name pretty much explains the work it does.
    • Constellation (CPU) Space travel research. I enjoy this one a lot as well, but I just started it recently.

These were just ranked by credit. You may notice most of them are space related, and not health science related. That is mostly because I have found myself returning to folding for health science. The work being done in folding aligns more with my interests than most of the crunching projects, and I believe a lot of good can be done with the mass of power at Folding's disposal.

Anywho, those are my findings from someone who is relatively new to crunching and continues to play both sides. I am not trying to prod you back to folding, I am just stating what I did.

Primary: i9-10200x @ 4.8, LianLi Galahad 360A, EVGA x299 FTW-K, 256GB DDR4 2666, EVGA RTX 3090, LianLi O11 Air

KittyNode: i5-10400 @ 4.0, Arctic i13, ASUS ROG Strix B460I, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1650 Super, Fractal Node 304
    BadBertie
    SSC Member
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/20 12:28:32 (permalink)
    Viper97
    I'm down with a tepid bottle of Ripple or Annie Green Springs!

lol - I had to Google that but brings me back to a misspent student life.

Sajinor et al. thanks for those suggestions of both liquid and crunchy kind. I'll have a rummage through later.

still got to nail bcav's folding spot first before we even get a bit crunchy.

KTM Super Duke R EVO
    Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 897
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/20 12:28:58 (permalink)
    GPU your going to be limited to just a few projects. There are a few other smaller projects but I have no experience with them. Most of these offer CPU work as well but not all of them all of the time.

GPU Grid (They study Proteins like FAH but they are looking at different aspects of the Proteins than FAH)
    Seti
    Milkyway
    Asteroids
    Prime Grid
    Collatz
    Poem (they are trying out a new application and its not going as well or as fast as they though, going to be a lack of work for a while)

On the CPU side there are all kinds of things you could be doing.

Medical/Bio:
    Poem
    Rosetta
    Mind Modeling - (often out of work)
    Malaria Control
    NRG - (setting up a new server system so no work right now)
    CAS - (based in China so there is a severe lack of communication and often no work to be had)
    Simap - (will be going private at the end of the year so there won't be any more work for us)
    World Community Grid, Mapping Cancer Markers
    World Community Grid, Fight AIDS at Home

Astronomy/Space related:
    Constellation
    Cosmology
    The Skynet POGS

Mathematics:
    Enigma - (attempting to break old World War 2 German encrypted messages to and from their U-boat fleet)

Miscellaneous:
    World Community Grid, Clean Energy Project Phase 2 - (studying new materials for solar panels)
    WUProp - (tracks the Boinc projects you run and reports how your hardware does with the various tasks with run times and other data)

That is the list of what I run most often and am familiar with. There are many more projects out there and new ones pop up regularly. For an idea of the others take a look at the Free DC stats reporting page for Crunching@EVGA to see just what people on the team have ran.

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teambycpid&team=Crunching%40EVGA

linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8043
    • Ribbons : 104
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/21 12:26:40 (permalink)
    Welcome!

With BOINC, there are many different projects to choose from in a variety of different science fields. Here is a list of projects.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php?sort=area

I dedicate most of my resources to Einstein but occasionally run other projects including Asteroids, Constellation, Milkyway, Seti, and The Skynet POGS.

CaseLabs M-S8 - ASRock X99 Pro - Intel 5960x 4.2 GHz - XSPC CPU WC - EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid SLI - Samsung 950 512GB - EVGA 1600w Titanium
    Affiliate Code: OZJ-0TQ-41NJ
    Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/21 13:17:22 (permalink)
    I need to set a factoid straight... the creator of the POTM was Khali - Orange_1050 was our first guinea pig and he pulled it off with style!

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/08/21 19:05:19 (permalink)
    Viper97
    I need to set a factoid straight... the creator of the POTM was Khali - Orange_1050 was our first guinea pig and he pulled it off with style!

I can say I was wrong
    I will blame that on old age.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

devlin85
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 586
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/09/03 12:46:23 (permalink)
    There is a limited number of things for GPU crunching, but if you want to stick to diseases, GPU grid is a great start and World Community Grid has that and clean energy projects. As for the sciency your pure processing power opens you up to a great deal, and since you don't seem to be into space, there's projects like LHC @ Home (The Large Hadron Collider), and climateprediction.net has some huge projects that would fit your bill quite nicely. Hope I gave you a prod in the right direction. 

"Science is much more than a body of knowledge. It is a way of thinking. This is central to its success. Science invites us to let the facts in, even when they don’t conform to our preconceptions." -Carl Sagan

My EVGA Affiliate Code: 50OAGU54AO

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re: Suggestions for Projects 2014/09/27 08:44:59 (permalink)
    Welcome BadBertie. I see you are getting wonderful help. I can only add... Enjoy yourself, ask as many questions as you like.

As the Charter member of this team, I have seen our team grow from the ashes of struggles to become a small army that every team out there knows as a fun/clean/positive group of individuals that wants to help humanity.

Lastly, cross pollination is encouraged. If you see a project that you want to work, go for it. If you make friends with another member on another team and they need help on a contest, help them! All we ask is that if we (EVGA) are in the same contest that you help your own team in that situation. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile