EVGA

Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and mood... (edited title)

Author
Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 180
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/19 14:43:29 (permalink)
Fluorescent lights are pretty bad, and they really do hurt profits, and people don't feel as alert under this TERRIBLE artificial light, attached is the color spectrum of a fluorescent light.

The one that doesn't look completely insane will be daylight. (actually the other picture will be daylight, then all other light sources compared to it, just thought about it like that now).

THAT'S why I don't like fluorescent lights.  And the fact that they contain mercury.  And the fact that since they DO contain mercury, NOTHING by "default" has been done to shield them, and they do make shielded bulbs, why are they not right there in all the stores, that really makes me angry.

Incandescent bulbs are literally a LUXURY item for sleep, you can dim them perfectly every time, and they are very expensive to run, so you have to have the money to keep them running.  You never thought about it that way before huh?  Well now I do.

The second picture is not showing up, I'll give it some time, but if it's not showing let me know.
I really love natural light, just looks a MILLION -- nope, a BILLION time better than ****ty T8 or whatever they use these days, really terrible light pink color on everything compared to the light from the blue sky and that bright orange ball of hydrogen and helium.

I'll just paste the second picture so you can see it.

EDIT!
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201306/exposure-natural-light-improves-workplace-performance
That will show that exposure to light helps performance, so it also makes sense to think FULL truly FULL spectrum sunlight would also improve performance compared to POS fluorescent bulbs.

post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/20 14:12:56

Attached Image(s)

If you use a computer at night, check out f.lux
Research: https://justgetflux.com/research.html
Download: https://www.justgetflux.com/
This reduces how blue (6500k) the screen is and looks better once you get used to it - the getting used to may take up to a week!
  Your screen will be "more orange" at night but it's for the best. In about 20 minutes your eyes won't even notice.  A white paper should match your screen, maybe play with the monitor settings to get it closer.

23 Replies Related Threads

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/19 16:04:17 (permalink)
    Fluorescent lighting is hard on the human eyes, I use LED's myself, and will be doing wall lamps for indirect lighting. Glare is evil.....Most dont even think about lighting placement, its just not the type of light or color temperature....
    post edited by knightsilver - 2014/08/19 16:09:44
    kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8755
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/19 16:10:34 (permalink)
    Yup, I have no fluorescent lights in my home, all LED's.  Also, our offices just recently moved away from fluorescent lighting as well. 

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/19 16:14:51 (permalink)
    I use a mix of 3K warm and 5K daylight temps.
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/19 16:15:35 (permalink)
    Awesome, that's a great way to do it!

I strongly recommend Philips LED bulbs particularly the L prize bulb because I think it actually uses a lime green LED instead of a blue LED like I think a lot of others choose to use.

This reduces how blue (6500k) the screen is and looks better once you get used to it - the getting used to may take up to a week!
      Your screen will be "more orange" at night but it's for the best. In about 20 minutes your eyes won't even notice.  A white paper should match your screen, maybe play with the monitor settings to get it closer.

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/19 16:19:23 (permalink)
    Wish would would get a Daylight temp of Amber color, say 5K in a A19!
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/19 16:19:45 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    I use a mix of 3K warm and 5K daylight temps.

Haha, you all started replying so quick I can't even reply to them in order!  Thank you!

If you use 5K - make sure they are *EXTRA* bright like a living room area (an example would be ... I don't know the ratings of individual bulbs, but try for 3,000 lumens in total, or even more -- as much light as possible.  Also you could get the cheaper more practical version of Philips Hue which just does transitions though cool white and warm white, so them at night you can really dim things down!

Edit:  3k?  I recommend 2700k or lower because the yellower / more orange it is, the more relaxed you will be at night, there is an immense amount of research that I've linked to before here, and here it is again
    http://www.justgetflux.com/research.html
    post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/19 16:21:10

Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/19 16:25:03 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    Wish would would get a Daylight temp of Amber color, say 5K in a A19!

I don't quite understand?  Do you want the amber / actually not really amber, it's a warm white, and it's white once your eyes adjust, you can EASILY get in a19 -- if you mean like an amber / orange color, I don't know if those are made, are you thinking of a really really dim Incandescent orange color?  Another thought, are you thinking or aware of Philips 'Dimtone' bulb that get's even warmer when it dims?

I would really like to help you choose the bulbs that would suit you best!

Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/20 08:00:51 (permalink)
    While there's a nice break I'd like to steer the conversation / discussion over towards natural light.

Imagine a store office school or other area that you are familiar with that's currently lit with florescent lights. Easy right.

Now take a few minutes and imagine that same place with just no lights turned on.

Now imagine it has a way to bring in lots of natural light through the use of skylights or any other device you can imagine.
    How does it look, how would the skylights be laid out and how many would there be?

Yep, forgot to format it!
    post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/20 10:14:41

Fiius
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2825
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/20 08:57:50 (permalink)
    This might be why I feel like crap at work - I'm fully lit by fluorescents - natural light access is past a wall for me.
    Note to self - get more sunlight...

~Fus

"Abyss v2"
    | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | Core i5 3570k w/ XSPC Raystorm Waterblock | Corsair AX-650 |
    | 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws X PC3-1600 10-10-10-30 (BXL) |
    | EVGA GTX 670 w/ Heatkiller LT 13105 + Backplate | Crucial M4 240GB SSD | 2x HGST 4TB |
    | Fractal Design Arc Mini | 2x PULL AP-15s on Swiftech MCR240 | D5 w/ Koolance COV-PMP450A Top |
    | Win7 x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp 2408WFPb | Dell UltraSharp 2407 WFPb |
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/20 10:17:30 (permalink)
    Fiius
    This might be why I feel like crap at work - I'm fully lit by fluorescents - natural light access is past a wall for me.
    Note to self - get more sunlight...

~Fus

Absolutely!  Seriously, talk to your boss and tell him / her that you aren't at your best under this lighting from hell.  Think about it, if you feel tired and slow, that's lost profits for them, and all they have to do is AT LEAST go with a BLUER light source (I'll say it again, the "standard" fluorescent lights used have a STRONG pink color to them), so it looks better, but maybe they could add a few windows - I mean who the hell doesn't want / need windows?

If you do talk to your boss, I'd like to know what they say!

Also, if you want to take a break and your boss doesn't really want you taking breaks, even if you're not a smoker (I'm definitely not) I'd suggest taking unlit cigarettes with you, that's why smokers aren't as unhealthy as you think they would be -- they get more sunlight than non smokers, just think about that.  No wonder they like going outside to smoke. 

I think this will get you about 5 - 7 minutes, but I'm not sure... (I always picture this on top of a roof, way up in the air.... haha, I guess that's not gonna happen for most offices huh? -- edit, I also picture this on a cool morning as well, like the perfect scenario!)

post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/20 13:33:49

RBIEZE
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4180
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/21 03:48:07 (permalink)
    Our company just dropped $60k on a "smart" fluorescent system.
    I like the crisp brightness and reduction in shadows compared to Metal halides we used to have, plus the lights individually turn off when you leave an area.
    I work under the lights 10+hrs a day, and haven't noticed any alertness issues, (although,  I do work a hairsbreadth away from painful mutilation if I screw up, so I'm constantly hyper alert by habit.)
    Without knowing the actual k-value id estimate them to be around 3500 - 4000k

The only major downside is now we've lost a few of the weaker Fm radio stations...

The LED systems Ive been under all seem way to harsh, and do cast a wicked shadow lines.
    But for the energy savings alone I would have gone LED if it was my choice.

They say opposites attract. I hope you meet someone who is good-looking, intelligent, and cultured.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WsPN-rr9o
    Evga X58 4Way sli,W'Cooled i7 950 @3.8, Mushkin redline mem @6-7-6-18 1600Mhz,
    2-Evga GTX770 Sli, Evga Gtx460 Physx, Corsair Neutron 120GB SSD,Samsung 240SSD, W.D Black 640GB /Corsair TX950 Psu, Hanns-G 28" Lcd, Logitech G540 5.1 Surround 
    My Affiliate Code: EECLVEDV7Z

BioHazardSperm
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 9988
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/21 04:53:33 (permalink)
    fluorescent bulbs help trigger my migraines if other conditions are already started physically.Ive tried to limit my interactions now for over 2 decades .But i still need a real reason to use as to why im crazy :) This doesn't surprise me at all .I switched bulbs types back in early 2001 when the prices were insane .I have one 15w single 18 inch over my sink (compromise with wife for cleaning dishes )

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
    I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
    My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/21 06:30:02 (permalink)
    BioHazardSperm
    fluorescent bulbs help trigger my migraines if other conditions are already started physically.Ive tried to limit my interactions now for over 2 decades .But i still need a real reason to use as to why im crazy :) This doesn't surprise me at all .I switched bulbs types back in early 2001 when the prices were insane .I have one 15w single 18 inch over my sink (compromise with wife for cleaning dishes )

Yikes! Just PLEASE go LED and that way no mercury on all your dishes if it breaks, Philips makes a great LED bulb, Cree is 2nd (for not having a very diffused light and you can EASILY see the individual LEDs even in a lamp shade.
    post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/21 12:41:50

clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5274
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/21 07:55:06 (permalink)
    Did you guys seriously not know this? BTW, you do realize the colors on walls and surrounding areas have just as much impact as the light source.
    And Timpster, do you work for Philips or something?
    post edited by clo007 - 2014/08/21 07:56:43

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/21 10:06:45 (permalink)
    clo007,
    Did you guys seriously not know this? BTW, you do realize the colors on walls and surrounding areas have just as much impact as the light source.

Yep. Billy the kids was asking about black or dark dark wall colors. Been trying to educate family and friends about, color tones in the home, I like earth tones myself, color and proper temps of you choice lighting and indirect lighting with proper placement.

Same thing with proper ergonomics, lighting in the home, kitchen, just not the desk or office. Just seems like very few care, till its too late.

Edit: Dont forget about aesthetics, to help set what ever moods your looking for. You dont need alot a crap/clutter, or alot od crap that needs cleaning. A few pics/art on the wall, doesnt mean its goes in a frame. A small fish tank even, or adding woodwork to replace that modern crap. 
    post edited by knightsilver - 2014/08/21 10:54:39
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/21 12:40:03 (permalink)
    clo007

No I don't work for philips but I have their Hue, and it looks MUCH better than Cree 40w equivalent bulbs, the light for Philips is FAR more diffused, and Cree should really work on that.

Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/22 09:56:51 (permalink)
    Here, I'll see if I can spike some discussion about natural light.

If you had YOUR choice for where you work / learn, and are currently lit by fluorescent lights, would you choose to keep the fluorescent bulbs, or have sky lights?

Why (as if it's not already obvious)?

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/22 10:02:45 (permalink)
    Soon all lights will be newer tech most especially if the new tech saves money.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

serrasalmuss
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/22 10:52:21 (permalink)
    someone flame the op for using blocked words in first post....

||Maryjane v4.20||
    ||EVGA x79 Dark||i7 4820k@4.5 HT||16G G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz||EVGA 980FTW||840 pro 256gb (OS) ||2x1 TB WD Black ||Corsair Air 540||EVGA 850G2 ||custom built water setup, Koolance cpu-380i, swifttech mcp 655 w ek top, primochill 1/2 tubbing,HWlabs 360gts 3xcorsair SP120 HP edition fans||
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/22 12:58:09 (permalink)
    serrasalmuss

Someone get outside more and look at the bigger picture...

My point is, we all don't get nearly enough sunlight -- we're bathed in the terrible glow of fluorescent bulbs and until LED bulbs can provide the *FULL* spectrum of light, like sunlight can, it's just not going to be the same, so why the hell don't we just all let in natural light into our buildings???  I don't understand why that's so hard to do!

It's exactly like light pollution - if the fluorescent lights hurt performance of workers and students - why not just use what's best and everything is better?
    post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/22 13:04:03

blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/22 13:25:39 (permalink)
    serrasalmuss

My point is, we all don't get nearly enough sunlight -- we're bathed in the terrible glow of fluorescent bulbs and until LED bulbs can provide the *FULL* spectrum of light, like sunlight can, it's just not going to be the same, so why the hell don't we just all let in natural light into our buildings???  I don't understand why that's so hard to do!

It's exactly like light pollution - if the fluorescent lights hurt performance of workers and students - why not just use what's best and everything is better?

I work in a building with no windows and yes the fluorescent lighting really hurts my eyes after a while. My guess is that no windows makes for a secure building.

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/22 13:40:12 (permalink)
    serrasalmuss

Tim

No reason to do defensive Tim. Its an online forums dude, there are certain etiquette as well.

KS,

Yep. Billy the kids was asking about black or dark dark wall colors. Been trying to educate family and friends about, color tones in the home, I like earth tones myself, color and proper temps of you choice lighting and indirect lighting with proper placement.

BTW, it isnt just the bulbs that effect your vision,

As well as, aesthetics, adding nature lighting, mood, placement furniture, just not the lighting placement, its not just the type of lighting.
    post edited by knightsilver - 2014/08/22 13:46:40
    serrasalmuss
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re: Fluorescent lights: hurts productivity, alertness, vision, and profits.... 2014/08/23 09:57:56 (permalink)
    get outside.....well lets see i run a farm so im outside more then most of the people on this forum put together so get a clue...and i do agree about the bulbs...im a reptile keeper and i know the spectrum's very well

||Maryjane v4.20||
    ||EVGA x79 Dark||i7 4820k@4.5 HT||16G G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz||EVGA 980FTW||840 pro 256gb (OS) ||2x1 TB WD Black ||Corsair Air 540||EVGA 850G2 ||custom built water setup, Koolance cpu-380i, swifttech mcp 655 w ek top, primochill 1/2 tubbing,HWlabs 360gts 3xcorsair SP120 HP edition fans||
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile