EVGA

Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ?

Author
stevefox100
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/18 14:44:48 (permalink)
hello guys, so today i did a RMA to my gtx 770 because it had a really annoying rattling sound (i believe it was because the left fan was hitting the fins behind it) , and i did look up the problem on the evga forums and many people did suggest few fixes to the problem like putting a thermal tape on some fins etc. Anyway, i did not want to go through all these fixing procedures because i haven't messed with GPUs before, so i went with the RMA option. But i have red on the same exact post where i found the fixes that some people did RMA their gpus and got the same problem with the new ones ! which really discouraged me because i do not want to get stuck with the rattling noise for few years. I called EVGA twice yesterday to make sure that they will fix my problem, and both people i talked to said that the new card you are going to receive will undergo testing to make sure it's working great. But i really want your answers guys (specially people who did RMAs before) will they really fix my problem ? i know i sound so worried :P 

13 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/08/18 16:00:01 (permalink)
    Dear stevefox100,

I can confirm that we do test for any abnormal noise from the fan or heatsink with the RMA process and that we are here to support you. If you should need any additional support or have any questions after receiving your replacement product then please do not hesitate to contact me directly at chrisb@evga.com

andrewc513
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/08/20 21:58:48 (permalink)
    stevefox100... out of curiosity does it sound like this?

Because I am on my **THIRD** GTX 770 SC 4GB that does this.  Granted, I've simply done Amazon replacements to get totally new cards back to me ASAP, but am now doing an RMA with EVGA for this problem. Hopefully fourth time's a charm?

I think being worried is justified since I've gone through 3 exhibiting the same issue and I've yet to get a working card. I really, really hope EVGA's card that comes through the RMA process doesn't do this... But I smell a bad batch of cards manufactured. I think what's most annoying about the problem is that otherwise the card is great... Performs well and super cool.  But that doesn't mean anything if it feels like my computer is going "WHOMM WHOMM WHOMM WHOMM" in my ear all day. And it seems to be a common issue, since there's a thread dedicated to ripping the card apart to fix the rattling. I'd rather not do this to a brand new card. (Can't link to it since I'm new to the forum, but it's near the top of the threads.)

It's stressful.
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/08/20 22:19:28
    Roge1992
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/08/21 02:20:38 (permalink)
    Hello,

I have the same problem with a gtx 780 sc acx, always about 78-81% begin ra-r-ar-ar-ar-ar-a-ra..... EVGA end me a new acx system (I hope so)

This system is good but too many problems with vibrations...

I m sorry for my english

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102231
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/08/21 03:46:06 (permalink)
    Anyone who believes they have a fan related problem are asked to contact EVGA support in the region where you live. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

martin.prather
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/08/23 10:28:20 (permalink)
    i tried to fix mine with thermal tape and it just got worse, seems like most of the people who RMA'd are not happy with what they got either.  I wish there was more clarification on what exactly RMAing with this issue will do, because if they're just replacing the cooler with another one, and it's a design flaw in all of them, it's not going to do anything whatsoever.
    andrewc513
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/08/23 10:30:58 (permalink)
    martin.prather
    i tried to fix mine with thermal tape and it just got worse, seems like most of the people who RMA'd are not happy with what they got either.  I wish there was more clarification on what exactly RMAing with this issue will do, because if they're just replacing the cooler with another one, and it's a design flaw in all of them, it's not going to do anything whatsoever.

Within 30 days of purchase, EVGA sends a new card as an RMA. I was told they'd specifically test for noise prior to shipping me the new card, but I'm worried that the problem will start all over again and I'll be stuck with either living with rattling, or accepting refurb RMA's not much more than 1 month after having a brand new card.  :/
    steve3194
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/08/23 11:11:12 (permalink)
    I'm having the same problem with my 770 acx sc. It's incredibly annoying having to go through the RMA process just after buying the card last week. If only I knew this was such a common issue I'd have gotten an asus or gigabyte model. Has anyone done an RMA with this card and been happy with the result?
    andrewc513
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/08/23 11:21:21 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, three brand new 770 SC ACX's from Amazon all exhibited the same problem. (Yes, I will be on card #4 next week already) I initially did refund/re-purchases directly with Amazon to get a new card next-day for $3.99 for the first 2 replacements. I'm waiting on an EVGA RMA now, and the entire process will have taken over 1 week by the time my replacement comes in next Thursday. I figured if I kept getting cards from Amazon, I'd just get another from the same batch that has issues.

Unless EVGA has cards from a different manufacturing batch that don't have this defect, the RMA card could possibly have the issue. Maybe it won't. I've seen in other threads and forums that they received perfect cards back, others had to start all over again because the replacement had the issue as well.
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/08/23 14:19:38
    stevefox100
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/09/02 14:37:47 (permalink)
    andrewc513
    stevefox100... out of curiosity does it sound like this?

Because I am on my **THIRD** GTX 770 SC 4GB that does this.  Granted, I've simply done Amazon replacements to get totally new cards back to me ASAP, but am now doing an RMA with EVGA for this problem. Hopefully fourth time's a charm?

I think being worried is justified since I've gone through 3 exhibiting the same issue and I've yet to get a working card. I really, really hope EVGA's card that comes through the RMA process doesn't do this... But I smell a bad batch of cards manufactured. I think what's most annoying about the problem is that otherwise the card is great... Performs well and super cool.  But that doesn't mean anything if it feels like my computer is going "WHOMM WHOMM WHOMM WHOMM" in my ear all day. And it seems to be a common issue, since there's a thread dedicated to ripping the card apart to fix the rattling. I'd rather not do this to a brand new card. (Can't link to it since I'm new to the forum, but it's near the top of the threads.)

It's stressful.

no man it sounded way worse than that it was super loud ! it sounded like the fan was hitting the cooler and it rattled, i can probably bare with the sound of your video card but not with my old one. p.s: i did an rma and i got another problem with the new one so i do not trust rmas anymore.
    post edited by stevefox100 - 2014/09/02 16:02:17
    stevefox100
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/09/02 14:48:49 (permalink)
    martin.prather

lol funny that you said that cause i did an RMA and got another card with a different problem and here we go i am stuck with problems and RMAs for the rest of my life. 
    stevefox100
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/09/02 16:04:27 (permalink)
    steve3194
    I'm having the same problem with my 770 acx sc. It's incredibly annoying having to go through the RMA process just after buying the card last week. If only I knew this was such a common issue I'd have gotten an asus or gigabyte model. Has anyone done an RMA with this card and been happy with the result?

i RMAed mine and just got the new one today and guess what ? a different problem the card won't go past the booting screen so i contacted customer support and they helped me to reset my bios and all and still nothing. i can confirm to you that the customer support/technical support are amazing and try to help you a lot but yeah the products are the problem.
    stevefox100
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/09/02 16:08:38 (permalink)
    andrewc513
    For what it's worth, three brand new 770 SC ACX's from Amazon all exhibited the same problem. (Yes, I will be on card #4 next week already) I initially did refund/re-purchases directly with Amazon to get a new card next-day for $3.99 for the first 2 replacements. I'm waiting on an EVGA RMA now, and the entire process will have taken over 1 week by the time my replacement comes in next Thursday. I figured if I kept getting cards from Amazon, I'd just get another from the same batch that has issues.

Unless EVGA has cards from a different manufacturing batch that don't have this defect, the RMA card could possibly have the issue. Maybe it won't. I've seen in other threads and forums that they received perfect cards back, others had to start all over again because the replacement had the issue as well.

my replacement had problems too i am never ever buying this product again and i am thinking of doing a refund with newegg at this point.
    steve3194
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Will RMA fix my 770 sc acx problem ? 2014/09/02 17:16:18 (permalink)
    stevefox100
    steve3194

i RMAed mine and just got the new one today and guess what ? a different problem the card won't go past the booting screen so i contacted customer support and they helped me to reset my bios and all and still nothing. i can confirm to you that the customer support/technical support are amazing and try to help you a lot but yeah the products are the problem.

I agree support has been great. But as I'm sure you'll agree, good support doesn't mean much when the products are dodgy. I've decided against RMAing mine and instead I think I'll just exchange it for the Asus model on amazon. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile