EVGA

Better understanding of a waterblock

Author
ScottyLong
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/01 07:39:23 (permalink)
I'm buying a GTX 770 w/ waterblock already installed on it and I'm wondering...
How does it work? I know it's better at being quiet vs two fans, but how does it work? Do I have to do anything to it water wise (like fill it with coolant or anything?) I know it seems to be a stupid question, but I've never really heard of a waterblock on GPUs. Thanks in advance! 

10 Replies Related Threads

Sprinx
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 364
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/01 07:56:39 (permalink)
    Honestly, I hope you haven't actually paid for the card yet. :)

I recommend just buying the regular air cooled version, because if you're not sure how water cooling works, then I'll bet that you don't already have the following:
    • Coolant reservoir
    • Coolant pump
    • Tubing
    • Radiator
    • Fan(s) for the radiator
    • Mounting hardware for all of the above items
    • Coolant designed for PC water cooling
    And probably some other items that I don't know about, because I have never personally water-cooled anything on a PC due to the expense of these items. You also need a PC case which is big enough to house all of these extra parts.

It's important to note that water cooling is not necessarily quieter, given that you still have fans on the reservoir, and the constant aquarium sound of the pump working. You're just moving the heat from the GPU --> liquid --> reservoir --> room. With an air-cooled card, you're just using the fans to move the heat from the GPU --> room.

Here's a good example:
    http://cdn.overclock.net/../207396bd_IMG_0108.jpeg

ASUS Prime X570-Pro AM4 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4 3200
    Corsair Crystal 570X | Corsair CX-F CX750F PSU
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum CPU AIO 

Secondary Tri-SLI just-for-fun 790i FTW rig: http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=21014

ScottyLong
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/01 08:23:18 (permalink)
    I'd like to say thanks for your reply! I am watercooling my CPU and I have everything for it, but no I do not have the pump and neccesary materials for watercooling the GPU as well. I was buying it with waterblock already installed from someone on ebay, but they'd be sending the original acx cooling on it as well, I've just yet to find a video on UNinstalling the waterblock

Sprinx
    iCX Member
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/01 08:37:25 (permalink)
    Ah, okay good. In your first post, it seemed like you didn't know what you were getting into

If you're already cooling your CPU, you should be able to work the GPU into the same loop without a problem (then it would look more like the picture I linked to). You can use the same pump, reservoir, and coolant (but you probably need to add a little extra coolant, to account for the extra tubes and the GPU waterblock).

You just have to think about how you will run the water through, as if you only have one radiator, then either your CPU or GPU will get hot water pumped into it. In the picture I posted earlier, note how the coolant goes from
    PUMP --> GPU --> SMALL RADIATOR --> CPU --> LARGE RADIATOR --> PUMP

I guess he doesn't have a reservoir (maybe it's not necessary in all cases, like I said, I've never done this personally). But he is cooling the water from the GPU before it goes into the CPU, so that it cools the CPU better. Then it all goes to the large radiator, which cools it down as cold as it will ever get.

If you only have one radiator, then it would go like this:
    PUMP --> GPU --> (hot water) CPU --> LARGE RADIATOR --> PUMP

So, in this case, the hot water going in would limit the overclock on your CPU. Not a huge deal, if your CPU is already fast. GPU overclocking definitely brings more benefits.

Secondary Tri-SLI just-for-fun 790i FTW rig: http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=21014

astacy12
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/01 08:47:06 (permalink)
    Sprinx
    Ah, okay good. In your first post, it seemed like you didn't know what you were getting into

If you're already cooling your CPU, you should be able to work the GPU into the same loop without a problem (then it would look more like the picture I linked to). You can use the same pump, reservoir, and coolant (but you probably need to add a little extra coolant, to account for the extra tubes and the GPU waterblock).

You just have to think about how you will run the water through, as if you only have one radiator, then either your CPU or GPU will get hot water pumped into it. In the picture I posted earlier, note how the coolant goes from
    PUMP --> GPU --> SMALL RADIATOR --> CPU --> LARGE RADIATOR --> PUMP

I guess he doesn't have a reservoir (maybe it's not necessary in all cases, like I said, I've never done this personally). But he is cooling the water from the GPU before it goes into the CPU, so that it cools the CPU better. Then it all goes to the large radiator, which cools it down as cold as it will ever get.

If you only have one radiator, then it would go like this:
    PUMP --> GPU --> (hot water) CPU --> LARGE RADIATOR --> PUMP

So, in this case, the hot water going in would limit the overclock on your CPU. Not a huge deal, if your CPU is already fast. GPU overclocking definitely brings more benefits.

Order does not matter in a water loop. It even doesn't matter if you have both of your radiators last back-to-back. The temp in the loops stabilizes equally regardless of the configuration you have. You will get the same temps on your GPU and CPU no matter what (given all other variables are constant of course).

Edit: Sorry; I was merely saying order of the radiators/blocks does not matter. Order from res to pump is the only thing that is a must because you don't want your pump running dry!!

If the op has already bought the GPU with the water block, then he might as well add it to the current loop he has. Would kind of be a waste if he goes to air cooling it while the water block is sitting on the side doing nothing since a water loop is already in place for the CPU. Besides, if your pc is already quiet, you are going to hate the sound of a fan running at 80-90% fan speed (especially if you OC it).
    post edited by astacy12 - 2014/08/01 08:49:58
    Sprinx
    iCX Member
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/01 09:16:28 (permalink)
    astacy12Order does not matter in a water loop. It even doesn't matter if you have both of your radiators last back-to-back. The temp in the loops stabilizes equally regardless of the configuration you have. You will get the same temps on your GPU and CPU no matter what (given all other variables are constant of course).

Edit: Sorry; I was merely saying order of the radiators/blocks does not matter. Order from res to pump is the only thing that is a must because you don't want your pump running dry!!

Thanks for the correction. I think I had read somewhere that it did matter, but like I said, I have never done this myself.

astacy12
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/01 09:36:32 (permalink)
    Sprinx
    astacy12Order does not matter in a water loop. It even doesn't matter if you have both of your radiators last back-to-back. The temp in the loops stabilizes equally regardless of the configuration you have. You will get the same temps on your GPU and CPU no matter what (given all other variables are constant of course).

Thanks for the correction. I think I had read somewhere that it did matter, but like I said, I have never done this myself.

No problem Water cooling definitely has its benefits, but those don't come without risks. Though, if done correctly and maintained well, those risks at almost all eliminated.

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/01 09:52:23 (permalink)
    I afraid somehow to start watercooling build. I prepare money, everything only to order.
    EKWB Supremacy Clean CSQ
    EKWB D5 X-Top Acetal pump incl
    EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock GPU
    2 x Coolstream PE 240mm
    Bitspower Tank Z Multi 100V2
    EKWB 10/13mm Compression Fitting silver + EKWB Adapters 45 
    Primochill Tubing Red and Black 

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

mhkushi
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/01 16:54:50 (permalink)
    ok from what I get from your question that you do not know anything a bout water cooling
    and I'm willing to bet that you are not water cooling your CPU with a custom Loop you are using a AIO ( All in One ) water cooling kit like the H100 or something like that
    and that is not really water cooling and is way easer to do

water cooling can be really expensive when don right and you want quit and performance and there are a lot of parts you will need
    1. pump
    2. Radiator ( you will need a 360 Rad + for a CPU and GPU )
    3. SP Fas for the Radiator
    4.Reservoir
    5. Water Blocks ( one for the CPU one For the GPU )
    6. Fittings
    7. Tubing
    8. Fluids
    9. Case that is good for water cooling ( but not a must you can all ways have the Rad outside the case )

now before you even buy all the parts you need to plan and match all the parts so they will work  together ( like the fittings you get need to be the right size for the tubing )
    another big thing to know is that your plan will never be perfect no matter how much you plan so be prepared to spend more money till you get it right
    so water cooling is a lot of work and not for every one but
    if after all that you still want too water cool there are a lot of YouTube videos on how too
    here are some pictures of my rigs so you get a idea

so my advice to you would be just use the Air cooler Or get a AIO for a GPU
    till you watch and do a lot of research on water cooling  

post edited by mhkushi - 2014/08/01 17:14:19
    astacy12
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/02 05:05:57 (permalink)
    Very nice Was the rigid acrylic difficult to work with? Probably going to try it out with my next build.
    mhkushi
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Better understanding of a waterblock 2014/08/02 05:59:20 (permalink)
    astacy12
    Very nice Was the rigid acrylic difficult to work with? Probably going to try it out with my next build.

thanks mate
    no not really you just need to plane the loop a littler  more because it is harder to band but other than that its not hard
    and I think it looks a lot better then regular tubing and if you are going to use color water then acrylic tubing is the way to go
    because it wont break down like regular tubing so the water will not clog your water blocks  or change color 
    and another benefit is that you wont need to change the water as often
    the only downside is that it will cost you more money then regular tubing
    but still I would say go for it and do acrylic tubing   
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile