EVGA

EAR Program vs standard cross ship

Author
nick779
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/30 07:16:47 (permalink)
I just went through an RMA and decided to cross ship my GPU and pay the collateral like normal, but a few days Later I get an email talking about the EAR program. I read through it but its confusing to say the least.

Whats the point in paying for an EAR program when you can just cross ship normally for free and get a 45 day window instead of a 14 day window with a minimum $30 charge? What is the benefit of paying for the EAR program?

6 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: EAR Program vs standard cross ship 2014/07/30 08:12:32 (permalink)
    The EAR program basically pre-pays the shipping, and waives the full collateral fee of a standard Cross Ship. That way if you have say a Titan, you don't have a charge for $1000 on your card, and you can pay for faster return shipping instead of being locked in to UPS Ground.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    nick779
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: EAR Program vs standard cross ship 2014/07/30 08:33:31 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    The EAR program basically pre-pays the shipping, and waives the full collateral fee of a standard Cross Ship. That way if you have say a Titan, you don't have a charge for $1000 on your card, and you can pay for faster return shipping instead of being locked in to UPS Ground.

That makes sense, but I dont understand how as a company you can do that. I fully support the full collateral fee because you wouldnt want to get burned.

So for $30 you dont have to bear the temporary hold for collateral, and you can get faster shipping; but with a standard cross ship, shipping is free, locked to ground, and you have the temporary hold on collateral?

Nobody ever mentioned having to pay for shipping on mine..... Am I in for a surprise?

EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: EAR Program vs standard cross ship 2014/07/30 09:49:42 (permalink)
    We do cover the shipping to you, and you pay the shipping to send the defective product to us. 

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: EAR Program vs standard cross ship 2014/07/31 07:00:34 (permalink)
    No reason at all why EVGA could treat both EAR and Standard cross ship collateral the same. Only reason they don't is because they know most people can't go 15+ days with them holding $500+. That allows EVGA to charge whatever fee they want.

It wouldn't cost them a penny extra to treat both collateral's the same and they know it.  
    rcanino
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: EAR Program vs standard cross ship 2014/07/31 18:30:01 (permalink)
    My understanding is you still submit collateral; it's not waived. You give them your CC info once your RMA request is approved. The way I read it the money isn't put on hold and if everything goes smoothly you won't see any charges. Of course is something does go wrong on your end...that's why they want your CC up front.

Then again "my understanding" may not be much because I still can't figure out how long these EAR plans are good for. For the life of the product? One year? I can't believe that isn't on the /SUPPORT/EAR/ page somewhere. (unless i missed it)

"if the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will"
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: EAR Program vs standard cross ship 2014/07/31 20:31:36 (permalink)
    A n EAR is good once, for the length of the warranty period. Once used, you'll have to buy a new one for the replacement. If you don't use it by the time the warranty expires, it expires with the warranty. Think of it as an insurance policy to get you back up and running as soon as possible with minimum hassle. 

Across ship is just as effective if you can handle the charge to your card. It can be rough though with a $1000 collateral for a Titan, so in situations like that it can be handy to have.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile