[Build Log] CaseLabs Mercury S8 "Triple Threat"

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pathfindercod
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/14 16:00:10 (permalink)
Walsh430s:
  The motherboard tray is fine and I like the bigger one much better. Problem is it blocks and makes the hole tot he bottom of the case much smaller. here is my reasons why:

Alright after a issue with wrong part/incomplete order I finally got the extra case parts i needed. I got the extended top for the s8 which i just am having a hard time bringing myself to using it. I think the normal height top looks so much better.
I ordered this also (the standard size motherboard tray)..

The bigger tray which I like so much more just closes off the opening to the bottom so much. So i essentially ordered the taller top and the smaller tray to test fit possibly putting my reservoirs on the flex bay side needing the smaller motherboard tray.
Scenarios are:
1 - Fans in pushing air through rads out the top, standard short top. Reservoirs would have to be mounted on flex bay side with shorter motherboard tray.
2 - Fans pulling air mounted on top of rads outside the case with extended top. Allowing reservoirs the be mounted on the left side in front of video cards. Would allow the larger motherboard tray.
3 - Fans in push pull adding 6 more needing the extended top and smaller motherboard tray to allow reservoirs to mount on flex bay side.
I was hoping the rads would have fit on top of the case allowing the extended top to snap down but the rads are jut a couple mm to tall.
I will start working on this over the next coupe days and take some pics with the different options i am trying and to get any ideas my fellow OCD computer guys might have for me. :)
walsh430s
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/14 17:33:16 (permalink)
I looked at your parts list & didn't notice the reservoirs. Though I'm not familiar with the EK parts. I'll show you what I'm doing if it helps with ideas. I'm going with two separate loops. The bay res shown is actually for sale on ebay right now and i'm going to replace it with a Monsoon unit. I'm going to use the bay res for the CPU loop, & and the cylinder one for the GPUs. As you can see I had to cut a recess into the top for proper mounting and I have to use the extended top. Again best of luck with your build, I can't wait to see how it ends up.

Attached Image(s)

pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/15 17:34:21 (permalink)
Thank you, walsh430s for the info and the pics/ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts.
Did some work today.
Put the optional PSU support bracket in.

Since I am not using the 3.5 HD bracket in the bottom I removed the plate wight he slots for the bracket. I put the 120.2 fan blank plate that came in the front left intake fans int he boom to cover the two 120 fan holes. I now have a even smooth platform for cable routing and tie downs.

I moved the fans from the top of the case that were in pull down to a push position through the rads. This allows me to use the shorter top instead of the industrial looking extended top.

Going this route forces me to put my two reservoirs on the flex bay side. this is how i have come up with mounting them. Along with the 240 rad.

And this is the reason no 3.5 hd rack mount int he bottom :) The third 360 rad is in the bottom.

I will take more details/glamour shots when I start getting closer to finish and when I am finished. Thanks everyone for looking and following.
seta8967
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/15 22:36:22 (permalink)
I have read complaints about people using the side radiator hits the usb connections. how much room do you have with your PE? can you fit push pull on it?
seta8967
FTW Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/15 22:43:35 (permalink)
delwted for double post
xvig0rx
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/16 00:44:52 (permalink)
Can't wait to see your finished build!
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/19 16:07:01 (permalink)
Got the motherboard blocks installed last night. I will work on getting all the GPU water blocks installed tonight. I am now also fitting the motherboard int eh case and will start deciding on tubing.

More Pr0n of the Asus, EVGA and EK.... Quite a few pics, sorry....
My Pentium II buddy I have had for many man years. I got it with my PII-400 CPU.. Wow.. He has never been in glamour shots before so he is happy.

The triple threat...

And last but not least... The Rampage..

walsh430s
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/20 09:07:12 (permalink)
Speechless!
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/20 18:46:48 (permalink)
Thank you sir.. Got one gpu done tonight... 2 more to go..
seta8967
FTW Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/21 05:01:32 (permalink)
Pathfindercod, this is shaping up to be a nice build. Have a few questions, if you can please answer them. Does the Corsair Dominator attach directly to the EK Monarch? Also on your side 360mm radiator there were people complaining that their radiators would hit the USB 3.0 on the inside, is there enough room for your radiator and would there be enough room for push/pull with the EK PE radiator there? Thank you, I want to get a s8 but the side reservoir worries me if my idea can fit.
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/30 09:09:35 (permalink)
seta8967
Pathfindercod, this is shaping up to be a nice build. Have a few questions, if you can please answer them. Does the Corsair Dominator attach directly to the EK Monarch? Also on your side 360mm radiator there were people complaining that their radiators would hit the USB 3.0 on the inside, is there enough room for your radiator and would there be enough room for push/pull with the EK PE radiator there? Thank you, I want to get a s8 but the side reservoir worries me if my idea can fit.

I don't think youll get push pull in the bottom with a PE radiator. It would be tight with a slim radiator. Only way would be to not have the USB connections and reverse the power switch plate. When I was going to do push pull I had decided to do three fans on the outside and two on the inside leaving the third off up front where the switch/plugs are.  But I have since decide to do push only because I need the extra space in the floor there for my aquacomputer flow meter that is going inline for the aquaero 6xt as well as mounting space for the fan splitter/hubs etc.
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/30 10:07:02 (permalink)
Small update... and please excuse the crappy iphone pics. Didn't have time to drag out all the dslr stuff.   Was home form work yesterday and spend all day working on the build.
Got the two SSD's mounted inside the hidden hard drive tray and my two mechanicals underneath.

After staring at the motherboard and trying my box of fittings for 2-3 hours I found a combination that fits, yay! 

I will post pics of the video cards next. But being the first time cutting acrylic and using the monsoon hardline kit I bought.  I spent probably 2 hours getting the sli links cut and edges shaved.  I did learn a  few things along the way. The most important thing learned was its much easier to cut acrylic if you have tape around the area your cutting. I do have the triple sli ek fc bridge but decided to do acrylic tubing with fitting instead.
The next big issue was the stupid rubber cord in the monsoon kit for inserting in tube for bending does not fit. I bought the 16mm (red monsoon kit) but it will NOT fit in the ek 16mm acrylic tube. I even tried lube! :)
The next thing I learned was you cannot bend acrylic without a tube in it. I pretty much knew that but I wanted to try anyway. So ANOTHER order to the online watercooling gods for more bending tools. The mosoon hardline kit is not worth the money in my opinion. waste of a hundred bucks.  I bought the primochill bender, much better, portable and easier.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/30 10:20:42 (permalink)
Looking good!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/07/31 18:08:00 (permalink)
This is a tough case for me to work with while trying to keep it looking good. Soft tubing would have definatley been a lot easier. But no!!!! I had to decide to do acrylic... Anyways I got my EK acrylic kit today so now I did my first bend. So far so good.. Man I wish I got the little ek kit before the monsoon. Anyway, my first bend was beautiful. Something said make sure the bottom radiator will firing I go straight down in the opening. Well, hell no. Another road block and decision to make... Ugh..

The tube bend goes down into the hole in front of the motherboard. The issue is when the rad is in the bottom there it closes off half the hole so it doesn't line up with the pipe straight over from the gpu. So I have to try to bend a slight angle over and then down again. Or I might just bend it 90 over towards the 24pin motherboard connector just before the hole and then bend it down in the opening behind the flex bays.
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/08/02 15:19:02 (permalink)
Here is the result of 5 hours lastnight. When you think you've spent enough and ordered more than enough you don't! I ran out of 90 fittings and need a couple more. That's good though I am ordering some lighting I think. So I hope to have it filled and leak testing by mid-end of the week.

Either my 12th time measuring before marking and bending or I got lucky.

Test fit and mounted the aquacomputer flow meter and temp sensor mounted under the mid-floor.

Mounted up and the fittings with 90 up through the hole for the acrylic over to front then up to the rad with some bitspower flow bling for the cool factor ;)

I'm converting so primochill advanced just in the bottom rad with a drain. I think the temp soft tube conversion in the bottom gives me some flex for pulling the rad out to do maintenance. Then the bitspower splitter converts it back to acrylic with the 90 coming up through the bottom.

I'll take more and better details pictures when it's all connected and ready for leak testing.
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/04 12:09:04 (permalink)

After a long 3 weeks of fixing some tubing issues and a couple leaks and changing some acrylic tubing fittings to the new EK acrylic compression fittings I now have it up and running. 
ALWAYS ALWAYS leak test with just pump/pumps plugged into PSU and jumper your PSU to come on and leave all other components unplugged.  Anyway start filling with distilled water for the first time to leak test with and got it 90% full and soon as the pressure form my two ddc pumps buily water sprayed out of the tube coming up out of my pump tot he first memory water block. DAMN!!!!!  got to test my drain vavles I put in place.  Got it all drained.  Discovered that acrylic run form the pump tot he first memory water block was slightly short and wasn't seated all the way down in the fitting coming out of the pump. Tried of it for the day. Took me a couple days and got a new piece bent and cut.
Started filling with distilled water again.  Got it all full and it ran beautifully.. Ran leak test for 4 hours.  Decided to go ahead and drain and put my blood red coolant in.  Got it all filled rand for a few minutes, shook pc around, turned pumps on and off a few times, AWESOME no bubbles.  WARNING and thank god I was on the dinning room table with hard wood floor.  I was sitting on the couch, system leak testing for 5'ish hours, I hear a pop and gush of water! I YELL F%^k and flew of the couch.  Caught it before res tubes ran dry so the pumps never got dry, thank goodness. !!!!!!!
The same tube I just replaced popped out on the top this time form the memory water block. It just popped out like someone grabbed a hold of it and pulled it out. The tube was cut perfect and beveled just right. My only guess is have the original EK acrylic fittings they are just double o-rings and theming straight out of the dual ddc pump top was to much pressure. At this point my wife is like get this the hell out of here. Off to the garage I go with my tail between my legs. :(
At this point I am just tired of looking at this thing, want to start using this again, contemplating putting it all back on air and just having fun with it. Bright idea, ill just switch over the main runs to soft tubing.  Spend 6 hours switching it. Absolutely hated the way it looked.

About this time, Performance-PCs emails me with new products in stock, low and behold 16mmm EK acrylic compression fittings. So another $500 order for fittings and few other things I needed a order was placed.  LUCKY I kept all my acrylic tubes I spent hours on bending. I pulled them out, cleaned them up stuck it all back together. Flushed all the blood red coolant you see out and leak tested with distilled water for 5 days straight in the 115 degree garage, NO LEAKS!
Discovered that blood red coolant just wasn't going to match anything, cables or fans. Bing another light goes off, Mayhems pastel red!  Performance-PC's here I come again! But wait have to order other stuff to so another few hudred more for demciflex filters, tools, cooland and led lights I decided to do.
Drained the distilled and filled with pastel red, leak test another 4-5 days.
Week and a half vacation inserted here. Jet lag, recovery time, get back in to the swing of things..
Brings us to the next post:
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/04 12:09:19 (permalink)
SLOW INTERNET WARNING!!!!!!
My friends I am nearing completion finally! These are some detailed shots on the inside and some on the outside without the case labs skins.  I am working with a local client of mine on some ideas got the outside of the case so he has the skins in his shop working no ideas for me. I will update final pictures with the outside of the case snapped on when that is complete.
I am not showing detail pictures behind the bottom rad. But it consist of another drain valve like seen on the other side, the aquacomputer flow meter and temperature gauge going tot he Aquaero 6xt. As well as all the excess cables from the fans, swiftech pwm splitters etc. Once I have time to try to straighten them out and if anyone is interested in how I did the tubing underneath I will take some pictures.
I talked with 3 cable guys and showed them my layout. They pretty much all said doing custom cabkles with color stripes or whatever would be of a big benefit in my situation. It is to cramped to try to curve and keep straight 9 gpu cables and the atx cable. So I will just leave the bundle pulled together as is for now. The biggest eyesore in my opinion but it is what it is.
Maybe some redundant pictures but I will upload them anyway.
Thank you everyone.. More to follow after these with full case shots and the lighting.

Last but not least, something to enjoy all the FPS with.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/04 12:26:24 (permalink)
Well, dang that is beautiful! I am not a fan of red (personal preference, not knocking anyone that likes it) but that is very clean and extremely pleasing to the eyes.
walsh430s
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/04 18:47:37 (permalink)
Very nice job indeed!
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/05 02:25:19 (permalink)
Thank you :)
jbfem
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/05 12:51:32 (permalink)
Wow ! No Limit. Build !
3 kingpin are Speeches but how many Psu are unsing ???

3 kingpin are Must have AT Load 1600w!

copperHead 2.0 Project

HP: coppermod.de

pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/10 12:12:27 (permalink)
Well damn, EK put by rig on their FB page and I didn't even know!

Thanks EK!

https://www.facebook.com/EKWaterBlocks/photos/a.288479541206084.77684.182927101761329/721000411287326/?type=1
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/12 08:30:38 (permalink)
A few pics with the Darkside LED lights. I started with white led's but it made the red pastel look pink. So I replaced them with Darkside red LEDs.  I have them hooked up to the Aquaero and can control the brightness.

chump7431
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3143
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/12 14:02:48 (permalink)
Nice!!

Build log +1
EVGA X79 DARK, 2 EVGA 780 Classified's, I7 4930K, Custom EK H2O, 16G 2133 GSkill Ram, Corsair AX1200, 900DubsD, Logitech G700-19-35 
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/12 14:07:46 (permalink)
Yes, Really Nice +1

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

japemo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/12 16:27:03 (permalink)
OMG!!!!!
Just today I watch this Case.... A pity not to have seen it before ... my worklog box would have been chosen.
Very good job. I like it !!!
Plan B? jijiji

Cooltek UMX3|AsRock X99E-ITXac|i7-5930K|???|M.2 500GB|SSD 750GB|HDD 3TB|RAM 32GB (16x2GB) 3200MHz|Corsair SF600|Logitech G710+|Razer Taipan|Dell U3415W|W10 Pro|WC CUSTOM
pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: [Build Log] Crazy big build for me - will update title with name of the rig when think 2014/09/12 19:07:28 (permalink)
Thanks fellas!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile