EVGA

I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues

Author
AzureNinja
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/06/15 17:01:24 (permalink)
I've seen a lot of people saying that the microUSB on the Tegra Note 7 is really bad, and likely to break. I want to buy this tablet because of all of it's great features and good price, but I really don't want this thing breaking on me. I don't got a whole lot of money to be spending, so I need to make sure that what I buy is going to last. Is the microUSB really that much of a problem? Is it only a problem on some units? Should I use a different cable than the one it comes with?

21 Replies Related Threads

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/06/16 07:17:29 (permalink)
    I think what you would want to hear is from someone that has owned the product for 6-mos to a year.  I've only had mine for a few weeks, have used that USB charging port daily and so far, nothing has broken.  But, I'm careful with it, taking a few extra seconds to make sure that I'm not jamming it in or putting any undue stress on it. 

I can say that I don't like the way it feels when I plug it in.  A lot of that has to do with a more loose feel than what I'm used to seeing with other portable devices.  It is just not very snug (laterally) after you plug-in the Micro-B connection on mine.  It will rock easily if you move it laterally and has a bit too much play for my liking.  However, I can't (yet) say that there is a design issue since it has not broken.  I looked over many reviews of this product and while a great product, some people have reported issues/failures with that USB port.  Not knowing how they treat their tablet, some of the problems could have been self-induced.

Time will tell for me and I'm not really that worried if it does fail since electronics is my background.  Assuming I can get to that connector, I can dismantle the tablet and repair/replace that USB port receptacle in the future if it does break.

johnerz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2076
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/06/21 05:51:20 (permalink)
    My experience is different from tex's - hi there buddy:)

Mine is about 6 weeks old the micro usb is a little to tight for me and I feel that I have to be careful when connecting it.

That said I have not one complaint so far :) It gets light to medium gaming and general web use and on occasions I stream Sky TV (UK satellite TV provider) when I'm in the workshop :)

I don't use the supplied cable 'cos there are so many in the house (kitchen, lounge, office, PC, workshop bedroom and the car :)) I don't have anywhere to plug it in lol

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/06/22 17:18:12 (permalink)
    Hey there johnerz!  Another one of our Bros (Yodap) from Folding/Crunching-land recently got a EVGA Tegra Note 7 too.

crazydave789
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/07/02 14:15:18 (permalink)
    I picked one up stupidly cheap with a busted usb, why they put a usb a port in there is beyond me.

it's impossible to get a replacement board outside of warranty but I patched a cable into it and cut a slot in the other side for charging so it can be circumvented with a bit of soldering and a couple of quid/dollars. 
    rchrdcrg
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/07/06 04:52:56 (permalink)
    I've had mine since launch (I pre-ordered mine), and I've had no problems with the USB port at all until literally yesterday, but that's entirely because it slipped out of my hands, and the USB plug hit right on the edge of a table while plugged in, so it jammed it pretty good and is kinda hard to put in and out now, but it still works, even after a direct impact with a cable plugged in. It's always felt a bit wonky, hence everyone's concerns, but if you aren't rough on your devices, this thing should last you just fine. If you're pretty careless, then you might want something more rugged.
    yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/07/06 07:02:17 (permalink)
    No real problems yet but the fact that it's in the forefront of my thoughts every time I plug it in is strange.
    I misplaced my charging cord for a few days so rummaged around to see if there was anything else I could use and voila, an old cord from a Sanza Fuze that fits much better in and out. Yay another option.
    (hey johnerz)

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/07/06 10:13:42 (permalink)
    rchrdcrg
    I've had mine since launch (I pre-ordered mine), and I've had no problems with the USB port at all until literally yesterday, but that's entirely because it slipped out of my hands, and the USB plug hit right on the edge of a table while plugged in, so it jammed it pretty good and is kinda hard to put in and out now, but it still works, even after a direct impact with a cable plugged in. It's always felt a bit wonky, hence everyone's concerns, but if you aren't rough on your devices, this thing should last you just fine. If you're pretty careless, then you might want something more rugged.

After all my carefulness with the USB connector, a couple weeks ago my Tegra accidentally slid right off my desk and dropped a few feet to a hardwood floor.  I think it was "trying to make a statement", but I couldn't hear it because I was in the middle of a full fledged cursing maneuver watching it fall.  I figured, well to heck with the USB connector, here's gonna be a cracked screen for sure because it landed on it's edge.   But to my relief, nothing was damaged and it was still running fine.  I have that optional Tegra Note magnetic cover on mine and I think it may have taken the brunt of the landing. 

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/07/30 10:47:06 (permalink)
    Had mine two months and in the last few weeks the problem I noticed is that the mUSB connection itself isn't snug, a slight tilt in the plug causes the power connections to be lost and the battery doesn't charge properly.  The tablet is in the middle of the table, but if I bump the table at night, the connection looses contact while still plugged in, then I'll wake up the next day and see it never charged.  I thought of opening it up and MacGyver'ing my own battery, but is this something that warrants an RMA?

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/07/30 10:57:00 (permalink)
    lehpron
    Had mine two months and in the last few weeks the problem I noticed is that the mUSB connection itself isn't snug, a slight tilt in the plug causes the power connections to be lost and the battery doesn't charge properly.  The tablet is in the middle of the table, but if I bump the table at night, the connection looses contact while still plugged in, then I'll wake up the next day and see it never charged.  I thought of opening it up and MacGyver'ing my own battery, but is this something that warrants an RMA?

If it's in warranty, it is definitely covered and you should send it in.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/07/30 19:17:28 (permalink)
    lehpron

I've never really liked the feel of that 1mm amount of slop that the USB plug has on each side when connected to the TN7.  But on my unit, I can rock it side to side while observing the charge indicator on-screen and it never loses connection.  Assuming that your USB cable plug is not the issue, if you are doing a similar rocking motion and losing connectivity, then your TN7 USB receptacle sounds flaky to me.

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/01 10:55:30 (permalink)
    texinga
    ...if you are doing a similar rocking motion and losing connectivity, then your TN7 USB receptacle sounds flaky to me.
    That is exactly the problem right now, it annoys m that it won't charge properly.  Would you think an RMA is what I should be doing, since the tablet is working fine?

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/03 06:07:50 (permalink)
    lehpron
    That is exactly the problem right now, it annoys m that it won't charge properly.  Would you think an RMA is what I should be doing, since the tablet is working fine?

You paid for a unit that works and also charges when it is supposed to do it.  I believe that the USB connection on the TN7 has been a potential weak point all along in the way they designed it.  Too much slop in it when I compare the feel of the TN7 USB port to other portable devices I use that also depend upon a USB charging port.

For me, that would be a "yes" to get it replaced.  Not being able to depend on it charging or "having to hold you mouth just right" to get it to charge would be irritating to most people. 

tsbrewers
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/05 13:35:24 (permalink)
    I got mine back when it just came out and it still works just fine. I am not sure if most people realize you need to insert the plug at an angle, instead of push it straight in like most other devices. Honestly I think this is by design since it seems to lock in better than many of my other rechargeable items. 
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/05 15:20:25 (permalink)
    Yep, that is just another annoyance (to me)...that angled insertion.  What we are taking about lately is that lateral slop in the connection.  In my case, it just adds to a loose fit feel, but for some, it is losing connection too.

crazydave789
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/09 16:48:07 (permalink)
    an update my antics as I've buying busted ones off ebay to tinker with.

wireless chargers do work and with minimal soldering, I was concerned about the machine not registering the charge but the chargers are smart enough to switch off when the battery is full.

works a treat with the slide cover but you have to remove it from the fintie case so at least with the QI chargers it is feasible to take apart a charger plate and slide it between the layers of a case and fix it so you plug into the case and it charges the tablet allowing you to carry on using it.

only have QI kit to try it with but powermat stuff can be picked up dirt cheap and the receiver cases dismantled to get the important bit. powermats have locating magnets which makes lining up easier. you can get two blackberry cases for around £3.50 or an iphone three set for £4 - bargain.

other wireless chargers are available to dismantle :)

I have asked various places about socket repair and one even said he would just replace the plastic inner which I didn't feel would solve the problem of having the wrong shaped socked in the first place.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/27 20:25:52 (permalink)
    I have a slightly off-topic view on this. In my opinion, the microUSB design was flawed from its inception. In my opinion, the end which is on the charger should be the end which is soldered in the device and the end which is in the device should be the end on the charger. The female connector on the charger is much stronger than the male connector in the device. The little male end in the device breaks easily and the component which breaks easiest should be in the part of the system which is easiest to replace (the charger cord).
    rchrdcrg
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/30 04:09:51 (permalink)
    Someone had mentioned this somewhere a while back, but it's actually because they used the wrong connector. The tablet has a Micro-USB A connection, but almost everything else, including most charging cables (and the one included with this tablet), has a Micro-USB B connection. The Micro B cables will fit into a Micro A connection, but it's not a snug fit as the A connection is fully rectangular without the little indentations found on the B connection. Check out http://www.cablestogo.com/learning/connector-guides/usb and take a look for yourself if you're not quite sure what I mean.
    gadgetboi
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/30 08:24:53 (permalink)

rchrdcrg
    Someone had mentioned this somewhere a while back, but it's actually because they used the wrong connector. The tablet has a Micro-USB A connection, but almost everything else, including most charging cables (and the one included with this tablet), has a Micro-USB B connection. The Micro B cables will fit into a Micro A connection, but it's not a snug fit as the A connection is fully rectangular without the little indentations found on the B connection. Check out http://www.cablestogo.com/learning/connector-guides/usb and take a look for yourself if you're not quite sure what I mean.

I had seen that also and it is not correct. The connector/receptacle on the tablet is a Micro AB type which means it can accept either plug A type or B type. Below picture is showing this which is on/in multiple references.
    One of the issues is that with  little force the B type can be inserted incorrectly causing broken pins/connector. The Dell Venue has the same issue and has several forum discussions on the same subject. The other issue I have read is the plug connector does not insert all the way flush with the tablet case which has caused stress on the connector from the cable side.

My tablet was a pre-order, so I have had it since release. I use it to the point where I am charging 2-3 times a week. I have always inserted the cable at a slight angle, which was noted very early on in the owners thread. I use 2 Type B cables, the original and an green LED one. To date I have not had any issues with the connector fit or charging. 

post edited by gadgetboi - 2014/08/30 09:34:32

SFF - ITX | Fractal Node 304/MSI Z87 itx | i5 4670K | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 |NVIDIA GeForce EVGA GTX 750Ti SC | 120GB HyperX SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SDD/HDD | Win7 x64 | Corsair TX750w

EVGA Tegra Note -Tegra 4 -4.4.2 | HTC One X+ -Tegra 3 -4.2.2 | Asus Transformer Prime TF201 -Tegra 3 
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/31 07:05:20 (permalink)
    I think someone posted that the Micro-AB receptacle  was used so that the TN7 would be compatible with the USB plugs used worldwide (which can be Micro-A or Micro-B).  So, there is a "looser feel" for those of us in the US that are used to connecting Micro-B plugs to Micro-B receptacles.  For me, it is just a loose feeling that I don't prefer, but it has not failed (yet).  I have never damaged a USB Micro-B receptacle by plugging-in a Micro-B plug on any of the many devices I've owned.  This tablet's USB connection is the first device where that loose feel has me being more cautious when plugging-in the charger.

My greatest victory in gaining better usability of the TN7 has been Rchrdcrg's suggestion of not closing the magnetic slide cover for the TN7.  That has greatly improved usability (and removed a couple of nagging issues) for my TN7. 

gadgetboi
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/08/31 09:34:30 (permalink)
    texinga
    I think someone posted that the Micro-AB receptacle  was used so that the TN7 would be compatible with the USB plugs used worldwide (which can be Micro-A or Micro-B).  So, there is a "looser feel" for those of us in the US that are used to connecting Micro-B plugs to Micro-B receptacles.  For me, it is just a loose feeling that I don't prefer, but it has not failed (yet).  I have never damaged a USB Micro-B receptacle by plugging-in a Micro-B plug on any of the many devices I've owned.  This tablet's USB connection is the first device where that loose feel has me being more cautious when plugging-in the charger.

My greatest victory in gaining better usability of the TN7 has been Rchrdcrg's suggestion of not closing the magnetic slide cover for the TN7.  That has greatly improved usability (and removed a couple of nagging issues) for my TN7. 

I should have noted this in my previous post. The Mirco AB receptacle is used because the TN7 is considered an OTG device which means it can act as a host to other USB devices. Micro A and Micro B connectors are not location based, if a device is made to be OTG certified it must use the Micro AB receptacle. I use the cable below to connect flashdrives, wired controller and other devices to my tablet.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11604?gclid=CjwKEAjwj4ugBRD1x4ST9YHplzMSJACTDms8X0RVuVODKQUkkKJ5tviJWAYEXS21vmqqdGpOHcy3fhoC5EXw_wcB
    I use this cable because Micro A uses all 5 pins for connection with one the pins being as device ID (Host or Client). Using Micro B as a OTG host can cause shorting because it only uses 4 of 5 pins.

Sorry this conversation has went sideways a little but it's good for users to know there's a legit reason that this device has a Micro AB receptacle and it should not be a detractor for buying the tablet.

SFF - ITX | Fractal Node 304/MSI Z87 itx | i5 4670K | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 |NVIDIA GeForce EVGA GTX 750Ti SC | 120GB HyperX SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SDD/HDD | Win7 x64 | Corsair TX750w

EVGA Tegra Note -Tegra 4 -4.4.2 | HTC One X+ -Tegra 3 -4.2.2 | Asus Transformer Prime TF201 -Tegra 3 
    crazydave789
    Re: I am concerned about buying the TN7 with the microUSB issues 2014/09/04 08:57:24 (permalink)
    texinga
    rchrdcrg

After all my carefulness with the USB connector, a couple weeks ago my Tegra accidentally slid right off my desk and dropped a few feet to a hardwood floor.  I think it was "trying to make a statement", but I couldn't hear it because I was in the middle of a full fledged cursing maneuver watching it fall.  I figured, well to heck with the USB connector, here's gonna be a cracked screen for sure because it landed on it's edge.   But to my relief, nothing was damaged and it was still running fine.  I have that optional Tegra Note magnetic cover on mine and I think it may have taken the brunt of the landing. 

mine did that and broke the cover - they don't seem that well put to together especially for the money - I had to do some surgery with hot glue, craft knife and a paper clip to get it functional again now I think the other side is going so switched to a fintie slate 7 extreme case which also take my wireless modding. not as flash but I dont need a seperate cover to the cover as it was popping apart in my bag. nice design but a bit more thought required methinks.

just posted wireless solution for those with working sockets who would like to keep it that way and not open their cases.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile