EVGA

SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim.

Author
YunGrey
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/29 16:25:14 (permalink)
I did loads of research before I bought another GTX 780, and almost everywhere I read anything from, almost all people said you will see gains going SLI as long as nothing else is holding you back or limiting your system like your CPU. I have a 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz with an H100i. It is my impression that Skyrim is well optimized for SLI.
I will state this. This is my first time going SLI. I do have SLI enabled through the Nvidia control panel and confirmed both GPUs are working with Precision X while in game. I still may have something wrong.
These framerates are from as soon as you enter Whiterun, and I have many mods that affect Whiterun as well as mods that ad NPCs, and loads of texture mods.
(Framerates only changed 1-2fps if am running an ENB or not.)
Framerate without SLI = 20
Framerate with SLI = 18
I was hoping to see at least a small increase at this area, like 10-15 at least, but not a drop.
I have searched online on if there is any setting that you manually have to turn on to enable SLI in game, but everything I read is from 1 or 2 years ago, from like version 1.2 or 1.4 of Skyrim, and the things stated no longer apply, so I assumed it was implemented by default in the later updates.
Also, from monitoring them in game, my GPU usage maxes out around 50% and my CPU maxes out around 60%, not sure why so low even though my fps is so low.
I have also tried each of the available 780 drivers, oldest to newest, no changes.

My system:
Windows 8 64-bit
AS Rock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
2x EVGA SC GTX780 3Gb
i5-3570k @4.2GHz
H100i CPU cooler
ASUS 1920x1080 Monitor 60Hz
Some SSDs for OS and games

Any advice is appreciated. 

15 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 17:47:11 (permalink)
    I wonder how much video memory your 'loads of texture mods' are using. If you are using more than 3 GB of video memory, I think it might make sense that more video cards could decrease performance if your motherboard is having to feed system memory to two video cards instead of just one video card when the video cards run out of their own onboard memory. In SLI, video memory is not added up, it is duplicated. Two 3 GB video cards provide 3 GB video memory but would require twice the demand when swapping back and forth with system memory if the cards fill up their own memory.

The first thing I would try is reverting to standard textures.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/07/29 17:50:51
    Rgallant
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 605
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 19:07:26 (permalink)
    vram is all ways a issue with nv sli ether now or later
    I keep msi-ab running on my g13 lcd to catch it going over before a game crash.
    but only had issues with my last 580sli 1.5 gb had bf3 come to a stop going from 1920 x 1200 to 1440 same settings,
    but with all your mods it wouldn't hurt to monitor games vram usage.

I guess for now just use msi-ab until evga releases a up date
    use the osd to monitor vram if it hits 3071 ish mb you need to lower some thing.- if you have a game slow down
    same vram usage and no slow downs your good as the the game is just preloading.
    post edited by Rgallant - 2014/07/29 19:30:22

3770k [KL370]|| 3xMCR320[basement] || ek bay res|| 655x2 ek-tops || 9xSFF21F || Vl4n
    MVF WC || Evga GTX 780 sc 941 sli EK block,s
    Sam 256gb 840 Pro|| HAF 932 || 8 gb Tridents 2400
    W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
    SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
    YunGrey
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 19:43:19 (permalink)
    This is what my vram usage looks like in game. It is maxing out on one card, but is the second card supposed to be doing nothing? When I mean loads, I mean loads of them, but in this area the only ones affecting it should be Skyrim HD 2k Textures, which alone shouldn't cause this massive of a problem.

post edited by YunGrey - 2014/07/29 19:57:30
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 20:10:50 (permalink)
    YunGrey
    This is what my vram usage looks like in game. It is maxing out on one card, but is the second card supposed to be doing nothing? When I mean loads, I mean loads of them, but in this area the only ones affecting it should be Skyrim HD 2k Textures, which alone shouldn't cause this massive of a problem.

It doesn't look like SLI is enabled properly.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

YunGrey
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 20:20:54 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey

Is there anyway that I can check if it is properly enabled? I have it enabled in the Nvidia control panel, but I haven't seen or heard of a way to enable it in any Skyrim settings, if that's even a thing.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 20:50:48 (permalink)
    YunGrey
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey

Is there anyway that I can check if it is properly enabled? I have it enabled in the Nvidia control panel, but I haven't seen or heard of a way to enable it in any Skyrim settings, if that's even a thing.

You don't need to enable it in games. What I can see of the graph you posted, your memory clock on GPU 2 is not increasing under load which means it isn't being utilized at all. Have you tried running a bench like Heaven 4.0 to see if both GPU's are being utilized? I believe we need to make sure SLI is working properly prior to worrying about individual game performance issues.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

YunGrey
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 20:52:29 (permalink)
    Was doing some more research and I heard someone say that they had the SLI bridge on the pins closes to the video output ports, then switched it to the other ones. Mine was the same, so I switched it to the other ones, loaded up the game, and it looks like this. However, I started having some absolutely INSANE screen flashing. I then switched the SLI bridge back to the pins that it wasn't working on, and it is now working. I have no clue what is going on now... It seems to be working though, but still not performing any better.

post edited by YunGrey - 2014/07/29 21:10:37
    YunGrey
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 20:57:46 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey

You don't need to enable it in games. What I can see of the graph you posted, your memory clock on GPU 2 is not increasing under load which means it isn't being utilized at all. Have you tried running a bench like Heaven 4.0 to see if both GPU's are being utilized? I believe we need to make sure SLI is working properly prior to worrying about individual game performance issues.

I did benchmark it when I first set it up. These are the benchmarks when SLI was NOT working in game. Not sure why switching the SLI bridge over, then back, enabled it in game. 

post edited by YunGrey - 2014/07/29 21:08:38
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 21:16:37 (permalink)
    YunGrey
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey

I did benchmark it when I first set it up. These are the benchmarks when SLI was NOT working in game. Not sure why switching the SLI bridge over, then back, enabled it in game. 

Okay great. But is it working now?

YunGrey
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 21:22:35 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey
    HeavyHemi
    YunGrey

Okay great. But is it working now?

Yes. I posted right before you made this post and I replied to it. Everything seems to be working correctly now just by moving the SLI bridge around. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 21:55:17 (permalink)
    You said:

. These are the benchmarks when SLI was NOT working in game.

I think he is asking "what about a picture of the heaven benchmarks for when SLI WAS working?". Since your two screenshots have the settings cut off, its hard to tell what the resulting scores pictured really mean.
    YunGrey
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 22:25:01 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    You said:

. These are the benchmarks when SLI was NOT working in game.

I think he is asking "what about a picture of the heaven benchmarks for when SLI WAS working?". Since your two screenshots have the settings cut off, its hard to tell what the resulting scores pictured really mean.

This was when they were not working "in game". When I benchmarked it in Heaven, it worked fine, it just did not work in game. Everything seems to be working correctly in game now that I switched the SLI bridge around, except that there are no performance gains. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 22:42:34 (permalink)
    I think it is safe to say that we have no idea what you have changed half of the time between each of your status updates due to a lack of relevant information in either your text or screenshots.

So, may I ask again, what are your Heaven benchmarks now that it IS working in game?  Exactly the same?  Different?  If it didn't work in one, it shouldn't have worked in the other.  If it did work in one, it should have worked in the other.  A comparison is important since half of a story leaves a large part out.

But anyways...

Now, back to the beginning...
    As I said up at the top, if you use up all your video memory, performance will plummet... and will plummet worse for two video cards than for one video card.

When I mean loads, I mean loads of them, but in this area the only ones affecting it should be Skyrim HD 2k Textures, which alone shouldn't cause this massive of a problem.

I am sorry, but it is a massive problem.  Your screenshots show that you are using up all your video memory which is causing your system to have to swap information back and forth between system memory and video memory; a process which eats up CPU processing time, system memory resources, motherboard chipset resources, PCI-E bandwidth, and video card GPU resources.  So, PLEASE, revert to standard textures so that your video card memory isn't completely maxed and compare.
    YunGrey
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/29 23:34:58 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I think it is safe to say that we have no idea what you have changed half of the time between each of your status updates due to a lack of relevant information in either your text or screenshots.

So, may I ask again, what are your Heaven benchmarks now that it IS working in game?  Exactly the same?  Different?  If it didn't work in one, it shouldn't have worked in the other.  If it did work in one, it should have worked in the other.  A comparison is important since half of a story leaves a large part out.

But anyways...

Now, back to the beginning...
    As I said up at the top, if you use up all your video memory, performance will plummet... and will plummet worse for two video cards than for one video card.

When I mean loads, I mean loads of them, but in this area the only ones affecting it should be Skyrim HD 2k Textures, which alone shouldn't cause this massive of a problem.

I am sorry, but it is a massive problem.  Your screenshots show that you are using up all your video memory which is causing your system to have to swap information back and forth between system memory and video memory; a process which eats up CPU processing time, system memory resources, motherboard chipset resources, PCI-E bandwidth, and video card GPU resources.  So, PLEASE, revert to standard textures so that your video card memory isn't completely maxed and compare.

Ok, I've got something going on with my game I need to figure out. I removed every texture mod I have installed and the memory usage has not changed at all. Thanks for your time and help.
    post edited by YunGrey - 2014/07/30 01:37:12
    KEVRAY
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re: SLI performing WORSE than single card in Skyrim. 2014/07/30 05:51:22 (permalink)
    YunGreyalmost all people said you will see gains going SLI .
    That is correct to a certain degree but sometimes and when playing some games a single graphics card is just as good, well, in my own experience with GTX 780 2-way SLI anyway.

Windows 10 64-bit. Maximus 8 Hero. i5-6600k @3.5-3.9GHz. 2X4GB 2133MHz. SSD. NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE. G-SYNC 1920x1080 144Hz. Scarlett 2i2. HX 1000i.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile