Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Telrunya
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2014/07/18 15:21:46 (permalink)
Information and full specs of the new Nvidia Shield Tablet has leaked.

More Info @ http://wccftech.com/nvidi...ecifications-unveiled/

Anyone else feel like a $200-$230 Beta tester after comparing this to the Tegra Note 7? Its simply a TN7 with all the features the TN7 should have had. Nvidia had better pulled off some engineering miracles to justify the Slide Cover's price increase to $40. The TN7's $30 Slide Cover was an overpriced piece of crap that broke within 6 months.

Sorry for ranting. I needed to say it. Please don't let my bitterness affect your excitement for this product.
post edited by Telrunya - 2014/07/18 15:28:47

31 Replies Related Threads

xphyle
    • Total Posts : 42
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/19 05:49:55 (permalink)
    My biggest complaint is the price.  A $100 jump from 16 to 32 GB is ridiculous, and something only Apples does.  They should have a 32Gb model WITHOUT LTE for around $329 to $349.  Otherwise, looks great.
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5064
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/19 07:34:57 (permalink)
    Agree about the EVGA TN7 Slide cover.  It is a handy cover and I like using it.  But, I'm speaking to the silver colored plastic part of the cover's hinge that has "Tegra Note" stamped in it.  At each end of that plastic part, the pin holding areas are a soft plastic material.  Those pin holding areas (where the hinge pins insert) can't stand up to much stress from use.  The very small metal hinge pins used to hold the slide cover to the flexible insertion tube can pull right through their soft plastic mounts without much force. 

The hinge pin holding areas of that cover could have been made from either a lightweight metal or harder plastic which would have greatly strengthened the hinge and helped to avoid usage problems.  $30 for a cover that has a soft plastic, weak holding point is not a good value IMO.  $40 for the next generation cover?  If it has the same design as the current cover, I would definitely not purchase it.  I'm not ranting on EVGA here either.  Love the company and don't know who or where the current cover is designed.  Just saying that it is not designed as well as it should be to hold up over time and use.

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/19 14:31:54 (permalink)
    All I want to know is whether NOTE 7 owners within 90-days of July 29 (April 30) be able to Step-Up to this version?
    post edited by lehpron - 2014/07/19 15:06:47

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    boomdart
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/19 15:37:40 (permalink)
    Gah, I just have bought my third TN7 (lost it again)

Wish I had known this was coming out so soon, I would have waited.

I don't mind the price increase as long as it comes with some quality this time around.  A myriad of problems exist with the TN7 be them little or big.  I'll gladly pay the extra money for one if the quality steps up, and an 8" screen would be so much nicer than a 7".  It's only an inch difference but it makes a huge difference in size.  I have an 8" tablet that just seems huge compared to the TN7 :/

Will EVGA offer a trade up option?  Sure would be nice :o
    post edited by boomdart - 2014/07/19 17:00:51
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/19 17:19:29 (permalink)
    The EVGA TN7 would not qualify for the "Step-Up" program because it only has a 1yr warranty.  Heh, if/when they come out with a 10" version of this tablet, then I'll be interested.  If my TN7 wants to croak the day after the 1yr warranty has passed, I hope that coincides with the launch of it's 10" sibling. 

Here's a cut-n-paste from the Step-Up terms:

"You can unlock the Step-Up option for any Limited Lifetime Warranty or most 3 Year Warranty products as long as it meets the conditions listed below. Once the Step-Up option is unlocked, you will have 90 days from the original purchase date for your product to start the upgrade process through the EVGA website. Once the Step-up process is started you will receive a confirmation email.

boomdart
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/20 13:34:05 (permalink)
    texinga
    The EVGA TN7 would not qualify for the "Step-Up" program because it only has a 1yr warranty.  Heh, if/when they come out with a 10" version of this tablet, then I'll be interested.  If my TN7 wants to croak the day after the 1yr warranty has passed, I hope that coincides with the launch of it's 10" sibling. 

Here's a cut-n-paste from the Step-Up terms:

"You can unlock the Step-Up option for any or most products as long as it meets the conditions listed below. Once the Step-Up option is unlocked, you will have 90 days from the original purchase date for your product to start the upgrade process through the EVGA website. Once the Step-up process is started you will receive a confirmation email.
    • your product purchased new from an within 90 days of your original purchase date.
    • your qualifying product purchased new from an within 14 days of your original purchase date.The EVGA Step-Up program is currently only available to residents of the United States, Canada, and EU Countries."

Yeah I read that, I just wasn't real sure about it or if it would let you get that extended warranty for it.

I dunno I guess it's not that big of a deal, I might not buy it day one, but I'll certainly get it pretty soon.  I've still yet to find many games that fully utilize what we have now :P

I love gaming on this thing, I don't even pc game anymore.  The thing is though, the kind of games you get on tablets just don't hold my interest for very long.  Or they're too damn hard (Iron Man 3 for example) Or they expect you to keep shelling out dollar after dollar of real money (Iron Man 3, Need For Speed games, SAS3 [I've gladly put like $30 in that game and love it, might even buy more stuff]).  I just wish if a game was going to need in-game purchases to be able to succeed...why don't they just sell the game instead of let you download it for free... it's just a waste of time.  I'd much rather pay I dunno $30 for Iron Man 3 than spend $180 unlocking suits, storage, and bull**** for it.  Same with Dino Hunter, but you can at least play that without buying anything just fine.

I'm totally psyched about the new version though, I will be getting one, I'm just not in a big rush because i have unfinished games to, well, finish before I'll get it.  Some games save to the uh whatever it's called and that's fine but a lot of them still don't (Final Fantasy 6 for example... I've restarted that game so many times I don't even feel like downloading it again.  Plus even with gamepad mapper I couldn't get it to handle playing with the controller at all, which kind of ruined it for me.
    boomdart
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/20 13:37:47 (permalink)
    xphyle
    My biggest complaint is the price.  A $100 jump from 16 to 32 GB is ridiculous, and something only Apples does.  They should have a 32Gb model WITHOUT LTE for around $329 to $349.  Otherwise, looks great.

I get how you feel but think of it this way...

I'm hoping the quality of the new tablet will be much better this time around.  Our current TN7's while having a litany of awesome features everything is kind of half baked and riddled with issues.  For $200 we got a tablet that, performance wise, is unbeatable.  However, I've used few tablets that have given me such a headache as this one.  I will happily and gladly pay an extra $100 for the new version if it will come with a little better build quality, plus it's bigger with a higher resolution and a much more powerful graphics processor.  I think the price is justified.
    I'm just not sure if I want the LTE version or not, mobile data plans are ridiculously expensive.  I would like the option of a wifi-only 32gb though, maybe at the $350 price point.

This is coming from someone that has bought this tablet 3 times already, broke the first one, lost the second one, now on my third :P  I have other tablets as well that I use for other stuff but as far as gaming is concerned this is the one.  And it's the only one I have with a sweet stylus to play SketchIt with.
    post edited by boomdart - 2014/07/20 13:39:43
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/20 14:46:54 (permalink)
    boomdart
    Yeah I read that, I just wasn't real sure about it or if it would let you get that extended warranty for it.

EVGA uses suffixes to their product numbers that specify which ones are eligible for "lifetime" or "extended" warranties.  The TN7 with a "B1" suffix only gets the limited 1yr warranty with no options to expand it. 

My feeling about Tablets in general is that many manufacturers don't want to offer much beyond a year.  The battery (not being user-replaceable for the average consumer) is likely one of the reasons they don't want to offer greater than 12 months.  On my wife's Toshiba Thrive, the battery was toast after 13 months and I had to buy a replacement.  Fortunately, on that Tablet the battery was a pop-out module that was designed to be user accessible/replaceable.  But, that was the last Tablet where I saw that design used.  My view of typical Tablet designs is that they are considered a consumable/throw-away product after 12 months.

boomdart
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/20 15:04:17 (permalink)
    texinga
    boomdart

EVGA uses suffixes to their product numbers that specify which ones are eligible for "lifetime" or "extended" warranties.  The TN7 with a "B1" suffix only gets the limited 1yr warranty with no options to expand it. 

My feeling about Tablets in general is that many manufacturers don't want to offer much beyond a year.  The battery (not being user-replaceable for the average consumer) is likely one of the reasons they don't want to offer greater than 12 months.  On my wife's Toshiba Thrive, the battery was toast after 13 months and I had to buy a replacement.  Fortunately, on that Tablet the battery was a pop-out module that was designed to be user accessible/replaceable.  But, that was the last Tablet where I saw that design used.  My view of typical Tablet designs is that they are considered a consumable/throw-away product after 12 months.

I have noticed that as well, I try to keep my TN7 plugged up as much as possible but really I don't know if it's better to plug it up and let it be full, drain, then plug it up again or just to keep it plugged up most of the time.  Then again, I'm on my third TN7 and it's barely a few weeks old.  I'll get the new version before it dies off :/
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/20 21:13:00 (permalink)
    boomdart

I have noticed that as well, I try to keep my TN7 plugged up as much as possible but really I don't know if it's better to plug it up and let it be full, drain, then plug it up again or just to keep it plugged up most of the time.  Then again, I'm on my third TN7 and it's barely a few weeks old.  I'll get the new version before it dies off :/

For lithium-ion, I think it's better to keep at full charge.  Allow it to go low for long periods seems to be bad.  This is based on the cordless drill I've used, which had a battery died pretty quickly when it wasn't charged, while my phones/tablets are always kept charged and no problem.  My old 3 year old smartphone is still fine, I charged it almost every day.
    post edited by fm123 - 2014/07/20 21:26:47
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/21 09:00:40 (permalink)
    There's some good info on the net about charging today's Lithium Ion batteries and best practices.  Here's the net of what I understand that are good ways to maintain the life of these batteries:
    • Don't just leave them on a charger for extended periods of time where they go through constant drain/topping-off cycles.
    • Use the battery and try to allow it to fall off at least 20%, or upward through 50% before recharging.
    • Avoid running the battery all the way down as an average practice which might put it into a facing deep discharges.  Some devices protect the battery from ever going all the way discharged by turning off the device ahead of a full discharge.  But better to avoid running them all the way down as a routine.
    • Keep the device battery from extreme temps which are harmful to the battery.
    • If you do often need to do something that is intense and will more rapidly drain the battery, connect the device to the charger if possible and run from the charger.
    Here's sort of the "technical everything you want to know" about Lithium Ions and maybe don't want to ask (or hear either). 
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Or the more digestible-read versions of best practices:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/ask-ars-the-best-way-to-use-a-lithium-ion-battery-redux/
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/user-support/the-care-and-feeding-of-li-ion-batteries/

Hope this helps...
    post edited by texinga - 2014/07/21 09:02:50

slybunda
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/23 02:35:16 (permalink)
    not gonna bother with this tablet, was hoping it would use the DENVER cpu cores, but its just higher clocked A15's same as note 7.
    will wait for the denver cpu based tablets to come out. need more single core power.
    boomdart
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/23 15:38:31 (permalink)
    slybunda
    not gonna bother with this tablet, was hoping it would use the DENVER cpu cores, but its just higher clocked A15's same as note 7.
    will wait for the denver cpu based tablets to come out. need more single core power.

The sheer power of the tablet comes from its Tegra 4/Tegra K1 graphics processor.  Much like PC's today, practically any cpu is fine because the graphics card handles all the processing power you need.

For example, I'm still using a q6600 at stock speed from, sheesh, 8 years ago or something?  Whenever the q6600 first came out I got it.  Since then I've yet to feel the need to upgrade from it.  I've only upgraded the video card a few times and still play games at 1920x1080 with all the settings maxxed out on a 40" screen.  Games like Witcher 2 and Risen 2, absolutely stunning games visually.  Using an EVGA video card right now too.

A better cpu might help...I dunno... google chrome, youtube and checking your e-mail, but the true power comes from the graphics processor when you're gaming.  The cpu matters yes, but not as much as you'd probably think.
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/23 19:45:40 (permalink)
    slybunda

Yeah, the main difference now is the GPU, the Denver CPU will be dual core when it first comes out though it will be 64 bit.  Seeing if I can hold out for quad Denver model.  The biggest deal will be how Android TV does since it's developer platform is Tegra 4 and K1 looks to be used for higher end systems.  That's what can drive more development. 
    slybunda
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/24 06:08:42 (permalink)
    nop the gpu is only handy in games, your general web browsing and sunspider/java benchmarks score and speed is all about the cpu.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/26 12:46:09 (permalink)
    xphyle

You get the LTE for that 100 dollars more. I think that is fair. 
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102251
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/27 03:47:35 (permalink)
    lehpron
    All I want to know is whether NOTE 7 owners within 90-days of July 29 (April 30) be able to Step-Up to this version?

I personally believe that EVGA will not sell a branded version of this, at least not yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

slybunda
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/29 04:10:14 (permalink)
    i want to know if the battery life on shield tablet will be better than tegra note 7, from the hardware specs im guessing its gonna be worse.
    MrRuckus
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/29 12:52:46 (permalink)
    The tablet looks to be coming directly from Nvidia at this point.  It's available for purchase starting today. 

EVGA was nothing more then a reseller on the Note 7.  They controlled nothing, and did nothing to the tablet but throw their own splash screen logo on it.  It had nothing that differentiated itself from other Note 7's by other manufacturers. 

I really feel the Note 7 was flawed, and everything looks to be fixed in this new release (ports not mounted on a slanted surface, possibly a better stylus that doesn't fall apart, Full HD screen, 2GB Ram finally). 

The build quality was my biggest gripe with the Note 7.  While the hardware was fantastic, The touch screen and creaky plastic made it feel like a sub par device compared to say the 2013 Nexus 7.  I'll be looking at the build quality first and foremost on this go around.  Wasn't a pre-order this time, that's for sure.   
    vsg28
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 611
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/07/30 09:53:45 (permalink)
    I have no experience dealing with Nvidia directly for RMA so that's where an EVGA rebranding would come in handy.
    boomdart
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/05 05:15:51 (permalink)
    I ordered the new one, I got the $300 version.

I'd really like the 4g access but I'm not really willing to pay monthly for it.  Kind of wish they'd offer 32gb version w/o 4g for $350 or something.

Not a big deal, I've got everything I want installed on mine without using up all the memory, most games still let you use the sd card too.

Should be here in a week or so, didn't pay for fast shipping or anything.
    boomdart
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/05 05:21:01 (permalink)
    vsg28
    I have no experience dealing with Nvidia directly for RMA so that's where an EVGA rebranding would come in handy.

Same, I just really hope I don't need to RMA it for anything :hs:  My first TN7 had really, really poor screen detection.  Evga was pretty swift about getting me another one.  Even though I ordered the new one, the TN7 still fits in most of my pant pockets so I might take it around more often.

Actually the other day I was at the grocery store, I left my tablet on the table next to the starbucks and made it about 9 isles down when I turned to go down the isle I wanted in the corner of my eye I saw a 6-7 year old kid just pick it up, take it out of the pouch (i keep it in the pouch my 8" google tablet came in) and powered it up.  I sprinted to the kid, snatched it out of his hands and said "This is mine, don't pick up other people's stuff." And the mother got all offended and said "He was just taking it to the front."  Oh man, I almost snapped.  He wanted to steal it, you don't open the pouch of something you find and turn it on if you're planning to give it to lost and found, do you?  No, you don't :mad:  My second TN7 was stolen in a similar fashion.  I wanted to snap on the lady but I kept my cool and just kept what I wanted to say to myself.
    crazydave789
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/09 17:37:48 (permalink)
    I dont think advent did so well with these going by the lack of stock and spares in stores so the uk probably wont see them for a while. still when they do if it uses the same deplorable usb port I'll be able to get one cheap off ebay in 6 months or so.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/16 05:39:59 (permalink)
    I got a refund for the Shield tab that I bought. If you go to the Geforce forums there is a 18 page (so far) thread about cracks forming around the edges of the tab. I barely noticed this happening on mine and took it back for a refund. Nvidia should be ashamed at the horrible lack of quality of the Shield tab. I only used the tab a couple hours at most. I ended up buying a Galaxy S 8.4. The S is far better. The only thing the Shield can do, that other tabs cannot, is play Trine and stream PC games. Other than that, other tabs are far better.
    post edited by chrisdglong - 2014/08/16 05:44:46
    Telrunya
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 128
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/16 08:29:09 (permalink)
    Huh so build quality isn't something they've improved upon then? Maybe the HTC Nexus 9 (it looks exactly like a Shield Tablet) will be better.
    xphyle
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/17 13:16:57 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    I got a refund for the Shield tab that I bought. If you go to the Geforce forums there is a 18 page (so far) thread about cracks forming around the edges of the tab. I barely noticed this happening on mine and took it back for a refund. Nvidia should be ashamed at the horrible lack of quality of the Shield tab. I only used the tab a couple hours at most. I ended up buying a Galaxy S 8.4. The S is far better. The only thing the Shield can do, that other tabs cannot, is play Trine and stream PC games. Other than that, other tabs are far better.

To be completely fair, Nvidia has already acknowledged ALL of the issues of the Shield tab and are regularly giving updates on their forums. Once they fix the crack and any other issues, they are offering RMAs to anyone for a shiny new and improved replacement tablet.

Clearly you are trying to disparage Nvidia because you are upset about the issues that ONLY A FEW USERS are experiencing.

The Galaxy 8.4 is a good tablet, but will never be on the same level as the Shield tablet with its Wifi direct controller and gaming capabilities, console mode, Half Life 2, Portal, and any other Tegra only games that are released.
    post edited by xphyle - 2014/08/17 17:07:38
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/17 21:24:55 (permalink)
    xphyle
    chrisdglong

To be completely fair, Nvidia has already acknowledged ALL of the issues of the Shield tab and are regularly giving updates on their forums. Once they fix the crack and any other issues, they are offering RMAs to anyone for a shiny new and improved replacement tablet.

Clearly you are trying to disparage Nvidia because you are upset about the issues that ONLY A FEW USERS are experiencing.

The Galaxy 8.4 is a good tablet, but will never be on the same level as the Shield tablet with its Wifi direct controller and gaming capabilities, console mode, Half Life 2, Portal, and any other Tegra only games that are released.

I just tried to fire my shield portable up for some pinball in full screen console mode... Guess what happened? Crash. Only after trying to get the mapper program to allow me to play the game with no touch screen... Nvidia is junk lately. Sorry, but it is true. I don't base my criticism from only a short lived tablet experience. I have been a fan of Nvidia for a long time. I've been buying their products since the 5900 ultra. Nvidia has been going a long way downhill lately. The shield tablet was plastic junk. It cracked on the edges and had a sharp feel to it that made holding it tiresome. Look at the numerous threads about that last POS tablet they released (the one before the Shield). CLAP CLAP, Nvidia said they will take care of the issue... Have they? Nope. They said they would though... I sent mine back before I got ripped off. BTW, the ONLY reason Nvidia has been responding so quickly is because the crack issue seems to be the majority, not the minority. Just look at the Amazon and New Egg reviews... The 19 pages of the "cracked" thread at geforce.com.
    post edited by chrisdglong - 2014/08/17 22:15:52
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/18 04:57:32 (permalink)
    I'm not very surprised with the issues that Nvidia is having with the TN7 or the new Shield.  They (like other companies that choose to produce a new product line) are experiencing the growing pains of having entered a new market.  Unfortunately, I think you can expect some of this kind of stuff until they have matured in the tablet business.  On the flip-side, they are doing things that are leading-edge compared to what other tablet designs currently offer.  Maybe they should have just stuck with the advanced video chip technology they do so well and left producing the whole tablet to other companies (like Samsung).  It certainly would not be the first time that a company that does something very well, has issues when they decide to branch-out to new production ventures.  The real test will be if Nvidia will stick it out with these tablets or eventually pull the plug and go back to making great reference cards for video. 

xphyle
    Re: Nvidia Shield Tablet 2014/08/18 08:54:29 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    xphyle
    chrisdglong

Just look at the Amazon and New Egg reviews... The 19 pages of the "cracked" thread at geforce.com.

Not sure what you are looking at, but the Amazon reviews are close to 5 stars aggregated, and the Newegg reviews are stellar.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile