EVGA GTX 670 Wet marks (oil?)

Author
karrotje123
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/25 12:07:35 (permalink)
Hi everyone!

I was playing a game and suddenly my pc crashed, I put it back on and only 1 of my 3 screens were working... The two of them that didn't work were connected to one of my GPU's (2x GTX 670).
My two GPU's are configured on top of eachother and the top one failed. I put open my PC and I get out the GPU's. Then I saw both of them have some kind of wet marks on the bottom, feels like oily. Also the top one has the same ones but smaller on the top, which I find is very weird because there is just a bit of space between them and if it was dripping from some kind, it can't go through the housing of the GPU. I have watercooling and I checked it and it is not leaking. And if it was, why there is almost the same spot on the second GPU if it is beneath the other one? It can't flow through the GPU doesn't it? :) Sooo, has anyone had the same problem? Or maybe it is because they get very warm sometimes and something goes wrong with the insides of the GPU (pcb, cooling pasta, flux??). By the way, if my gpu's fail to work anymore, is this in warranty?
pictures included :)

greetings, Jonas

6 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: EVGA GTX 670 Wet marks (oil?) 2014/07/25 12:15:58 (permalink)
    You may want to contact EVGA tech support to see what they have to say about this.  You should reference your (this) thread also.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: EVGA GTX 670 Wet marks (oil?) 2014/07/25 20:03:33 (permalink)

Moving to the Warranty section, so you can get help from Evga warranty support.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA GTX 670 Wet marks (oil?) 2014/07/25 20:36:30 (permalink)
    Mmm... I love cooling pasta.

The oily stuff is not the cause of your problems. The oily stuff is coming from your backplate's thermal pads. It is not bad for the cards and will wipe off with alcohol.

The cards not working is a different issue.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: EVGA GTX 670 Wet marks (oil?) 2014/07/25 20:44:41 (permalink)
    bdary
    You may want to contact EVGA tech support to see what they have to say about this.  You should reference your (this) thread also.

Agreed.  You can find EVGA's contact information for your region here:  http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Water damage isn't covered under the warranty, but unless that came from something leaking onto the card from above, I wouldn't worry about the warranty.

Although the oily residue is likely just what ty_ger07 stated, you'll still need to contact them about your card that isn't working.  

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    karrotje123
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA GTX 670 Wet marks (oil?) 2014/07/26 02:01:28 (permalink)
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for your information all. I have sent it to the tech support and I will see what they say. I had it some times before that when I'm playing a game, the game just freezes and my whole pc is frozen, then I have to force reboot my pc. Sometimes it never happens, and sometimes it happens in the first few minutes that I'm playing... Strange. First I tought they get too hot my cards, but even if I play it with max fan speed, it still does it, then I tought my power supply is not good enough, so I bought a 1200W power supply... But still I have this problem too... I have no idea anymore what can be wrong, drivers? Firmware?
    Maybe I should post this as a new thread?

Greetings Jonas
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: EVGA GTX 670 Wet marks (oil?) 2014/07/26 07:33:17 (permalink)
    Go to Nvidia's site and select the driver version of your choice.  D/L and save to your desktop.  Make sure it's for your card and OS. >>  http://www.geforce.com/drivers
    Uninstall everything Nvidia in your Programs/Features.
    If running PrecX or AB, set it to NOT load with Windows and close the program.
    Reboot!
    Launch the driver installer from your desktop.  Choose a custom install.  Uncheck all boxes except for the graphics & PhysX components.  Put a check mark in the "Clean" install box and run the installer.
    When done, reboot and test things out.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile