EVGA

Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan

Author
Imperium
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/25 00:04:45 (permalink)
Hi, its my first time here, and the first time that I have an EVGA card, the Cassified ACX 780 and I have some strange problems with the temps.
First I had instant shutdowns, +83ºC in 100% fan and some kind of airtfacts, the screen go black to half a second and returns back in the game, dont matters what game if its fullscreen. (Card usage was under 50%). I had a Nox vx 750W power supply, I thought it was the problem of all, 2 days ago I bought the EVGA SuperNova 1300W G2, no more shutdowns, +20fps in some games but still have the temp problem, now is not a +83ºC under load, but is a 80ºC under test at 100% fan and 77ºC on game (only play 5 min to test)

The airtfacs only appears in large session (+2 - 3 hours), I don't know if the airtfacs problem is still there, need to play more hours.
Obviusly my OC is inexistent, i tried +100 core... nothing. +60... nothing.... and the OC was one of the main things for buying this card.

I tested my card in one friend's PC and he had a completly different temps, 70ºC in games (tested 20 min) / 75ºC in test, 68ºC with OC in games (tested only a little bit) and 79ºC at test, with 1200 ~ core clock.
Here is the question, Evga's tech support suggested me to do an RMA on the card, I live in Spain and I don't know how exactly works the Evga RMA system, so I searched in the internet and I found that I have to pay the shipment of the card, what if the say that the card works perfectly? And why my friend has different temps?

I thought it was the power supply, considering that I changed all but the case, the hard drives and the Noctua... maybe its the airflow inside the case, the Noctua is just above the card and my friend has WaterCooling in his processor, that means more space to airflow.

PD: I had an AMD Radeon Gigabyte HD 7870 GHz Edition and 0 problems, never pass the 60ºC

Edit: I forgot that the card underclocks itself always to 1045 if the card is OC dont matter, its kinda lottery because some times go to the good core clock and sometimes (most usually) not.
But, if I OC the card, still in 1045, but or the controller stop or shutdown.

My Specs:
i7 3770k @4.5GHz
EVGA Classified 780 ACX
Asus P8z77 - V
Kingston HyperX SSD 3k 120GB +2 Storage Hard Drives
EVGA SuperNova 1300W G2 Power Supply
Noctua NH-D14
Case Thermaltake Chaser A31 
Monitor: BenQ 144Hz L2411Z 24"

My Friend's PC (on tested)
i5 4670k @4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Crucial SSD (i have no model idea)
Tacens 850W
Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler
Corsair Carbide 300r with the radiator and fans on top in push&pull
Monitor: 3 @60Hz monitors at 5760*1080 resolution.

Thanks to all ;) (and sorry for my low english)
post edited by Imperium - 2014/07/25 01:14:08

16 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 00:08:48 (permalink)
    What I would like you to do is to take your CPU overclock back down to default and retest. See if this works without the artifacts. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Imperium
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 00:12:37 (permalink)
    Thank you for the fast response, I tried with my sister's i5 3330 CPU (non-oc) and i still had the airtfacts
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 00:21:31 (permalink)
    In such a case then contact EVGA tech support in Europe for help. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Imperium
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 00:31:32 (permalink)
    Did it, they suggested me to RMA, but my friend has better temps and I dont want to spend the money for shipment for nothing.

Edit: I forgot that the card underclocks itself always to 1045 if the card is OC dont matter, its kinda lottery because some times go to the good core clock and sometimes (most usually) not.
    But, if I OC the card, still in 1045, but or the controller stop or shutdown.
    post edited by Imperium - 2014/07/25 01:13:42
    jokke
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 114
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 03:43:23 (permalink)
    its nott really hard  to  Change thermal paste on classifieds+ that it dosent remove your warenty

I have 4 way 780 TI classified,s  I changed thermal paste on all   + that  LN2 bios on Classified is a really bad bios,   Normal bios is best to use for normal playing and such ,   you can try use evga precision, to higher the voltage to the card

Also have you enough air flow to your card,  you need to check that to

post edited by jokke - 2014/07/25 03:48:59

EVGA x99 Classified
    Intel core i7 5960x
    Corsair 16gb platinum 3200mhz
    1 founders atm
    4X Evga GTX 1080 Classified.
    4x Samsung 840pro 512 GB, 2TB total
    In Win H-Tower

Imperium
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 08:41:31 (permalink)
    Is it worth it? Change thermal paste on the graphics card? What temp do you have before and after do it?
    I tried to open the case, the temps go to 73ºC on test 550 seg Still no OC possibility, when I put the +voltage, the graphics card go crazy to 79ºC

Here is a picture of my PC, I suspect that the Noctua block the aifrlow of the case, the frontal fans put air, the others draw air.

Tested again, 74ºC max without tape in the case.
    The graphics card is ok? I mean, Can I do an RMA?

On "test" I mean evga precision and the test in-app EVGA OC Scanner.

On every test the fans are always at 100% obviusly. And the noise is really annoying...
    post edited by Imperium - 2014/07/25 08:55:45
    trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 11:20:51 (permalink)
    Your high temps are because of your case.  The ACX cooler dumps the heat back into the case and relies on the case fans to remove the heat.  Your case is a mid-tower which is smaller so all the components are closer together and not good for airflow.  You only have 1 120mm intake and 1 120mm exhaust.  That is not nearly enough, especially with the ACX cooler.  You are getting artifacts most likely because of the high temps.  If you RMA the card, I am almost positive you will not have any better results with the replacement card.  You need to invest in a better case with more air flow, such as your friends 300R.  Good luck!

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    Imperium
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 18:39:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for he response, now I have 4 120mm fans, 2 in front intake and 2 back exhaust the temp is 2 degree inferior, I dont want to buy another Case, if I put a waterblock and put the card in watercooling, will be okay?

Here is what I want to buy: 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 19:05:25 (permalink)
    Hi Imperium.  You currently don't have enough posts to put a link up, but if you break the link (www.evga.com/forums should read www.evga .com/forums) we can remove the one space and view what you are referring to.
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 20:12:37 (permalink)
    80C is not a crazy temperature under load.  It's actually pretty normal.  The card is spec'd up to 95C, and you're not getting anywhere near 90C.  I think we've seen a number of reasons your system could be better cooled, but any issues you may be having (beyond fan noise) is likely due to something else.

Were you getting artifacts in your friend's system?  You mention the artifacts in your system, and you mention the drop in temps in your friend's system, but you didn't mention whether you saw artifacting there or not.

One thing different between your system and your friend's system is your monitor setup.  Try dialing back your refresh rate from 144hz down to 120hz and see if the card runs at the same temps.  Also, make sure your motherboard BIOS is up-to-date.  Lastly, make very sure that all of your fans between the Noctua and the back case fan are blowing in the same direction.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 21:35:54 (permalink)
    Imperium
    Thanks for he response, now I have 4 120mm fans, 2 in front intake and 2 back exhaust the temp is 2 degree inferior, I dont want to buy another Case, if I put a waterblock and put the card in watercooling, will be okay?

Here is what I want to buy: 

What are your ambient temps? Is this pc in a room with a air conditioner? Switch one of the 2 fans your using for exhaust and make it a intake fan too. Properly water cooling the gpu will probably end up being more expensive than buying a decent full tower case and a fan or two. Not to mention that the block you buy for the gpu probably wont be used for any other gpu ever. Is the link you tried to put up for the Kraken cooler? You will def get some decent cooling from the Kraken, depending on your ambients, but it does need a decent amount of room to install it in the case. Its a triple slot solution, plus rad and tubes plus youll still need all your other fans too for cool your other components like the cpu, ram, psu etc... A good full tower case would solve a lot of problems for you now and give you a lot more options for the future.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Imperium
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/25 22:56:25 (permalink)
    NordicJedi
    80C is not a crazy temperature under load.  It's actually pretty normal.  The card is spec'd up to 95C, and you're not getting anywhere near 90C.  I think we've seen a number of reasons your system could be better cooled, but any issues you may be having (beyond fan noise) is likely due to something else.

Were you getting artifacts in your friend's system?  You mention the artifacts in your system, and you mention the drop in temps in your friend's system, but you didn't mention whether you saw artifacting there or not.

One thing different between your system and your friend's system is your monitor setup.  Try dialing back your refresh rate from 144hz down to 120hz and see if the card runs at the same temps.  Also, make sure your motherboard BIOS is up-to-date.  Lastly, make very sure that all of your fans between the Noctua and the back case fan are blowing in the same direction.

I know that 80ºC in load is not a "monster temp", the main problem is that I can't OC, even if I try, the clock dont goes up from 1045 - 1058, its called the magical "gpu boost 2.0".
    I alredy know that there is a custom bios to modificate that, I dont know if affects to the warranty, the noise of the fan always at 100% is SO annoying, and for me, 80ºC is not a good temp for OC...

I tried to put one fan for intake, but still more or less the same, its better in exhaust.

Yes, one was the kraken and the other was the H75, I was planning to put it in the front with 2 fans in push&pull, here the links:

http: //www.pccomponentes.com/nzxt_kraken_g10_negro.html
    http: //www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_cooling_hydro_series_h75.html
    (Spanish web)

As you can see in the picture I have free 3 slot for the kraken, is not a problem. I dont have an air conditioner but I want to buy a little one, the room temp is variable, I play most time at night, with 23 - 25ºC depends on the night (most nights 25ºC).

I dont want to change my case for one reason, I bought a new power supply of 160€ (215$) and yes, it solved some problems, I dont get more airtfacts and no more shutdowns (full test today) but I spent a lot of time searching, testing, and 160€ for the same temp... so... What if the new case doesn't get "good temps"? More money spent for nothing. Go to watercooling its go to "secure" in the temps fact (for me). For not thinking what Monster Case I have to buy then XD

I have the latest bios in the mobo, the latest nvidia driver (not beta) and Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. When tested, no airtfacts in my friend's PC.
    post edited by Imperium - 2014/07/25 23:50:29
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/26 00:11:46 (permalink)
    Imperium
    NordicJedi

I know that 80ºC in load is not a "monster temp", the main problem is that I can't OC, even if I try, the clock dont goes up from 1045 - 1058, its called the magical "gpu boost 2.0".
    I alredy know that there is a custom bios to modificate that, I dont know if affects to the warranty, the noise of the fan always at 100% is SO annoying, and for me, 80ºC is not a good temp for OC...

I tried to put one fan for intake, but still more or less the same, its better in exhaust.

Yes, one was the kraken and the other was the H75, I was planning to put it in the front with 2 fans in push&pull, here the links:

http: //www.pccomponentes.com/nzxt_kraken_g10_negro.html
    http: //www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_cooling_hydro_series_h75.html
    (Spanish web)

As you can see in the picture I have free 3 slot for the kraken, is not a problem. I dont have an air conditioner but I want to buy a little one, the room temp is variable, I play most time at night, with 23 - 28ºC depends on the night (most nights 25ºC).

I dont want to change my case for one reason, I bought a new power supply of 160€ (215$) and yes, it solved some problems, I dont get more airtfacts and no more shutdowns (full test today) but I spent a lot of time searching, testing, and 160€ for the same temp... so... What if the new case doesn't get "good temps"? More money spent for nothing. Go to watercooling its go to "secure" in the temps fact (for me). For not thinking what Monster Case I have to buy then XD

I have the latest bios in the mobo, the latest nvidia driver (not beta) and Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. When tested, no airtfacts in my friend's PC.

If your ambient temps are 25c, 77f? I think, than your temps really aren't all that bad and you probably aren't going to get them much better without a air conditioner to cool the room. Your day time temps are probably 33c, 91f?, at least then correct? Which is pretty warm and coupled with any humidity could be worse. I really don't think either air or water is going to help you much with ambients that high. Your gpu is doing the best it can to cope with that heat, although switching the ACX cooler to the stock cooler or a kraken and putting a very good TIM and pads on should bring your temps down a little more. I wouldn't expect too much though until you can cool the room better, unfortunately. Until then your cards lifespan will probably be shortened a bit and overclocking is either going to not happen or be very low. Also remember that high temps are bad for the rest of your components and will shorten life spans on them too.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/26 03:25:59 (permalink)
    My operation temp of GTX780Ti KPE is 76-78C with 75-80% fan speed if game force card to boost on 1202MHz and 98% usage.
    But with side panel open. I notice...with ACX Cooler can help lot hole on side panel if someone have fan can install as exhaust.
    On that way will remove 50% of hot air immediately. Before one week I collect all money for nice water cooling but I can say I'm little scare to enter in project. But I will do that. I will buy even and full cover waterblock not universal. Never mind If I lose money after transfer on Titan II because universal block should be used immediately and I could save 150e than.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Imperium
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/26 03:32:53 (permalink)
    Just right now I m in ambient temp of 20C more or less, and the temps are better, in the test is 4C down, but in games the things change a little more, 3dmark 11 doesnt pass 65C, the big problem here (again) is the OC, I dont know why, but the card still in 1163 core clock MAX, when the temp is in 50C!! maybe the card has something bad or so... if I put the vcore to 1.200v, the core is stuck in 1163. Doesnt matter what MHz I put, but if I put too much, the app crashes (when still in 1163MHz). I know that I can put an stable MHz Rate if I put a custom bios, is there any problem for doing that in the warranty?
    Thanks to all! I probably buy an  air conditioner to my room.
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Strange temps problem with EVGA Classified 780 ACX while 100% fan 2014/07/26 03:44:52 (permalink)
    Air conditioner I don't have in room with comp, but push cold air directly in that direction.
    When temp drop about 7-8C in room and CPU/GPU temps drop for about 2-3C very fast.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile