EVGA

Helpful ReplyHas anyone ever encountered this with an X58?

Author
Raver
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 935
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/24 07:53:51 (permalink)
The other day my ethernet port on my X58 LE stopped working after a couple of years of trouble free service. 

When troubleshooting, I found that there were "no drivers for the port". 
I tried all kinds of things to resolve the problem, but eventually I downloaded new MB drivers from EVGA and resinstalled. 

After rebooting the system, it now comes up with the following information after "verfying DMI pool data", and the systems just sits on this screen for about 5-10 minutes with a little spinning clock. After that time, it will say exiting PXE Rom and the system will boot. 

Once it is running, the port works and the system works normally. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10330
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/24 09:59:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Raver 2014/07/24 15:41:32
You could try resetting the CMOS.  Should be a small button located on your mobo.
You could also try loading optimized defaults from the bios.  Make sure to reboot back to bios afterwards to verify you're HDD setting is set up for AHCI or raid depending on your setup.  Unless of course you're running an old IDE drive.

Also, have you recently installed any new hardware around the time this began happening?

Raver
SSC Member
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/24 10:06:45 (permalink)
bdary
You could try resetting the CMOS.  Should be a small button located on your mobo.
You could also try loading optimized defaults from the bios.  Make sure to reboot back to bios afterwards to verify you're HDD setting is set up for AHCI or raid depending on your setup.  Unless of course you're running an old IDE drive.

Also, have you recently installed any new hardware around the time this began happening?

No new hardware or anything, it just happened out of the blue. 
I'll give that a try though. I'm running an SSD AHCI. Last time I reset the mobo I had real difficulty getting back to the bios.  Hopefully it isn't so difficult this time. 

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/24 11:13:35 (permalink)
Post back your results if you would.

As far as getting into the bios, make sure to just start tapping the delete (del) key as soon as you hear the post beep.

NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/24 12:19:23 (permalink)
When I run into a DMI Pool Data error, I usually check to make sure my memory settings/voltages are correct and then check my hard drive settings.  Another thing to try is to move your hard drive as your first boot priority ahead of everything else.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
Raver
SSC Member
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/24 15:41:21 (permalink)
Resetting the CMOS seems to have done the trick. It's now working properly after resetting it and reloading all of my settings. 

Strange problem. 

Thanks for the advice. 

ZROCKMAN
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 349
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/24 19:20:49 (permalink)
Raver :  I have seen this many times with different types of motherboards.  There is usually a problem that exists with your modem's power supply (it is worn out or malfunctioning).  I know this because I suspected the modem power supply during this exact type of non-continuing reading of the internet / modem and port files.  I have said it before , that when any portion of the entire computer has a short circuit , or - as in this case (a malfunctioning modem power supply) , the startup files that have to do with the internet , including the port files etc. will somehow have to be "dumped" [then deleted if you repeatedly attempt to restart the same non-reading process].  This can happen with audio files if there is a power pack plugged into a wall socket that runs the amplifier [or the amplifier iteself].  The processor simply finds a way to stop the malfunction from the dumping process , to actual deleting of files in an attempt to negate the problem.  This is what happens after you see the messages that refer to "dumping" , which is an extreme case where the files that are running will not work correctly.  Personally I use a specific type of exterior power supply for such things that also has a voltage setting on it [it's an old one , but a good tool] that means I can test power supplies that are supposed to be producing less than 12 volts.  When this sort of thing happens I plug this "tried and true" power supply in , and see if anything changes.  Sure enough , suddenly the modem works alright , but then when you look into your "system" folder , and open the "device manager" , a yellow exclamation marker shows that the computer recognizes something wrong with either the port drivers (which are motherboard drivers) , or (specific modem drivers).  All that needs to be done is for you to reload these drivers , but the real problem is that your exterior modem power supply is wearing [they do get hot and are on alot of the time].  This is why you should be unplugging your modem power pack each time you shut your computer off.  It saves alot of hours on the power supply.  When this starts happening , you should replace your modem power supply with the correct replacement that produces the same voltage and amperage as the original.  And this has even happened to me with the EVGA X58.
post edited by ZROCKMAN - 2014/07/24 19:24:56
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/25 06:10:08 (permalink)
Raver
Resetting the CMOS seems to have done the trick. It's now working properly after resetting it and reloading all of my settings. 

Strange problem. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Glad to hear that resolved your issue...

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/25 19:57:45 (permalink)
bdary

Mr. Problem Solver did it again. Good job. Thanks again for helping out another member to solve their problem.       

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Has anyone ever encountered this with an X58? 2014/07/26 06:44:31 (permalink)
Thanks Xray...

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile