EVGA

Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro

Author
Jfeil
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2014/07/18 12:55:43 (permalink)
So, I'm hoping to hear from one of the tech experts from EVGA on this one, I'm interested in snatching up a Titan Z Hydro Copper to put into my Hadron Hydro build.  My build currently houses a 4770k overclocked to 4.2ghz and an R9 290X liquid cooled with an EK water block.  Temps are actually quite tolerable, especially considering that the 4770k is sitting at 4.2ghz and the R9 290X is overclocked about 15%.  CPU temps reach about 75c under max load and I've never seen the GPU core hit anything over 68c.  Also, I'm extremely impressed with this little 500w PSU in the Hadron, it has yet to run out of seam with my current configuration.

So, from what I can tell from the dimensions, it should fit in the case just fine, the Hydro Copper Titian Z is the same length as my liquid cooled R9 290X and takes up only 1 slot rather than 3 like the air cooled versions.  I'm just not sure if the cooling system and power supply will be enough to handle a dual GPU solution.  The R9 290X is notoriously power hungry and runs so hot that liquid is really the only viable solution unless you want you rig to sound like a hair dryer, so I'm hoping that the increased efficiency of Nvidia's chips will keep the Titan Z in line.

Any thoughts from the experts here at EVGA?  I'd really like to order one of these beasts as soon as possible, but I'd like to confirm whether or not this is a viable solution first.  Please, give me your thoughts.

EDIT: I'll also admit defeat as far as AMD is concerned.  The R9 290X is the first red-card I've owned since AMD bought ATI in 2006, and I'm really disappointed so far.  The card itself is extremely powerful, but their total lack of talent on their driver team makes me want to cry.  So many driver errors and optimization issues, it's not even funny.  Ya, the R9 290X can throw up benchmarks like nobody's business, but I didn't buy it to watch it run 3DMark all day.  I should have known better than to take a chance on AMD trash, now I can't wait to get back into the green-card camp.
post edited by Jfeil - 2014/07/18 13:13:34

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them their job."  -Samuel Goldwyn

12 Replies Related Threads

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/07/18 16:08:21 (permalink)
    The 500W PSU has 40A from 12v available; your CPU stock is around 79-80W (or 6.6A at 12v), overclocked to where it is about 7A draw from 12v; that leaves around 33A from everything else that draws from 12v whether you have lights, fans, drives, and of course the graphics card.  Your fans and drives and the liuid cooling pump (if not the packaging) will have a label on them indicating their 12v power needs.

Problem is that the Titan Z is rated as a 375W card -- 31.3A for just the card itself-- you have very precious little to work with, it is even possible you may not have the power.

What are your options?
    1. CPU: Either leave the CPU at stock or underclock it, or get a lower-TDP model and/or forget overclocking until Broadwell-K comes with lower power needs (but for Broadwell-K, you need a 9-series board, i.e Z97; most companies will drag their feet to providing a BIOS update for Z87 boards, they are businesses).
    2. PSU: The form factor is "1U server rackmount", there are more powerful options in that form factor, but removing the EVGA unit may void warranty of the chassis since it came with it, but it is just a box in the end.  Also, +500W 1U PSU's aren't cheap by a mile, some are longer than that your entire chassis even if they have the wattage and some are hard to find as retailers don't always have them (typical customers buy them in bulk by the thousands, they are server power supplies).  Be sure to target something with at least a 20% buffer on top of the maximum 12v amperage need, consider a 1U unit with 50A.
    3. GPU: Titan Z draws too much power, but then the R9-295X2 isn't any different; so until GTX880/R9-390 shows up, you may not be able to upgrade your graphics card yet.  
    Sucks cuz the Hadron chassis paired w/40A 1U server PSU is an awesome combination; but slightly imperfect if it can't take the best out there.  This is one of those situations where you get to test your modding creativity if you take advantage of the 1400W 1U PSU I linked.  Keep in mind, I don't know if it has the necessary cables, certainly there will be a lot of them as the PSU may be meant for a mainframe or serious workstation.
    post edited by lehpron - 2014/07/18 16:14:33

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    ssj92
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1417
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/07/18 16:16:58 (permalink)
    It'll probably fit, but there's no way you're going to power a Titan Z with a 500w power supply, especially since you also have a overclocked CPU. A 750w power supply would be minimum for that kind of set-up, 850w would be better. 
    post edited by ssj92 - 2014/07/18 16:20:39

Alienware Area-51M Laptop: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080
    Alienware Aurora R4 Desktop: Intel Core i9 10980XE | nVidia Titan V
    Alienware M18xR2 Laptop: Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000
    Alienware X14 Laptop: Intel Core i7 12700H | nVidia GeForce RTX 3060

Jfeil
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/07/18 17:40:09 (permalink)
    Ya, I know on paper the supplied PSU with the Hadron won't cut it, but then again it shouldn't be working for the setup I have now.  The R9 290X is unbelievably power hungry, it's a miracle that things have remained as stable as they have.  My reason for asking is I seem to recall a post from Jacob where he basically said that any GPU you could cram into the case, the PSU would handle.  This led me to believe that EVGA grossly underrated the PSU, which is also the feeling I get based on my current setup.  I guess I was looking for a nod from the EVGA product tech guys on that one, but I won't hold my breath.

Honestly, I might just pull the trigger on the Titan-Z HC and see if it works.  If not, there's a 750w 1U that I've found in previous searches that will fit the case and has the power grunt and connections to do the job.  If the Titan-Z HC is too much for the supplied Hadron PSU, I can always grab that 750w and spray the PSU case flat black to match and sleeve the cables myself so everything matches aesthetically.  Trust me, I'm no stranger to modding and would more than welcome the challenge, I was just hoping I could plug-n-play the Titan-Z based on my assumptions of the EVGA PSU.

Either way, I think I might just pull the trigger on it and deal with it through trial and error, but I do HOPE that someone from EVGA still chimes in here.

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them their job."  -Samuel Goldwyn
    ssj92
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1417
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/07/18 19:07:47 (permalink)
    The R9 290X uses lots of power, but not on the level of the Titan Z. You might be able to get away with it, but you'll be pushing the 500w psu to its very limit. If you can get a 750w 1U psu later if it doesn't work, I'd say go for it. Would be interesting to see. Does the PSU have two 8-pins or at least 1 8-pin and two 6-pins? The Titan Z requires two 8-pins, so if you only have six pin pci-e power connectors on the psu, that's four total 6-pin connectors to power it. 
    post edited by ssj92 - 2014/07/18 19:09:07

Alienware Area-51M Laptop: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080
    Alienware Aurora R4 Desktop: Intel Core i9 10980XE | nVidia Titan V
    Alienware M18xR2 Laptop: Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000
    Alienware X14 Laptop: Intel Core i7 12700H | nVidia GeForce RTX 3060

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/07/22 11:45:33 (permalink)
    Don't fall in love with the Hadron system just because it worked out for R9-290X (which was a 275W, 23Amp card) just to be blind about the true power requirements of Titan Z (rated at 375W, 31.3Amp card).  You're about to seriously consider dropping $3000+ on a graphics card, I'd think you would spend more time reconsidering the PSU since the Hadron system puts you on an edge with very little buffer or overhead.  You may have to reset the CPU to stock, get a lower wattage model or change the PSU for another 1U rackmount power supplies better than the 40A version you have.  All options will give you peace of mind, you kind of need the amps since fans and pump will take those precious 12v amps from the CPU and GPU.  Do the math; don't just convince yourself it will work out on faith alone.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/07/23 10:51:25 (permalink)
    The card will fit, but the power requirements are a bit too much for the Hadron PSU unfortunately.

vsg28
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 611
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/07/23 16:02:02 (permalink)
    Just replace the stock PSU with a higher wattage (and unfortunately also louder) one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1u+power+supply&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Make sure to check the dimensions fit. Supermicro makes some decent 1u PSUs.
    Jfeil
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/07/24 15:43:26 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your input, it's been very helpful.  The reason I asked is because on paper, the stock PSU shouldn't be able to handle it but I vaguely remember when Jacob said that the stock PSU should handle anything I throw at it.  That statement, however, was made MONTHS ago, long before the Titan-Z was out in the wild.  On the other hand, a 500w PSU from nearly any other branding would have failed miserably for my current setup as well.  This led me to believe that EVGA grossly underrated its capability, which I still believe they did to a certain extent.  Now that Jacob has confirmed that it's not up to the task, I will be actively hunting for a 750w+ 1U PSU that will get the job done.

I've seriously set my mind on slapping a Titian-Z HC into my little box, so I'm going to find a 1U that fits and is up to the task.  Once I find it, I'll disassemble it to paint the frame in flat black to match the chassis, then I'll sleeve the cables to make for good eye-candy.  Once I have that in place, I'll get my grubby little paws on a Titan-Z HC and get the party started.  My goal?  I want to pack all the power possible into the Hadron chassis, it's a case I've absolutely fallen in LOVE with.  I'd love to be able to say that I have, hands-down, the most powerful small-form-factor mini-ITX build in the world that current tech allows for.  Maybe a feature on EVGA's Facebook page would even be called for (wink-wink, Jacob, I'll make it happen if you make the PR side happen). 

All jokes aside, next new post from me will be a Hadron-Hydro build blog with Titan-Z inside!

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/08/13 16:17:44 (permalink)
    EVGA_JacobF
    The card will fit, but the power requirements are a bit too much for the Hadron PSU unfortunately.

I can believe it. But it's interesting because Cyberpower is offering two versions of EVGA's Titan Z as an option in its Hadron builds. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/08/16 23:58:27 (permalink)
    kougar
    EVGA_JacobF

I can believe it. But it's interesting because Cyberpower is offering two versions of EVGA's Titan Z as an option in its Hadron builds. 

They probably upgraded the PSU

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/08/17 10:14:23 (permalink)
    Ask them about PSU? Hadron Hydro is case from dream from Titan Z HydroCopper.
    I thought about that before some time and I didn't found some nice option to replace EVGA 500W Gold Single Rail inside Hadron.
    Maybe they know. 
    You say you had problems with AMD R9-290X... Now marketplace in my country is full of few months udes R9-290X from 280-380e price.
    Many Sapphire and PowerColor, Club 3D models for 290-310e, reference... Miners sell their cards, and people buy extremely rear I don't know why.
    post edited by Vlada011 - 2014/08/17 10:21:42

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

kanuseeme
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Titan Z Hydro Copper with Hadron Hydro 2014/09/10 11:04:49 (permalink)
    Hi 
    I am also looking for a 1u psu to power a titan z and I have found it very difficult to come up with the required amps, I dont know alot about psu's and I am trying to learn as much as I can but I have found this one. zippy/emacs H1M-5807V 1u psu

manufacturers website states that it has 57 amps on the 12v rail. its problem is that it has only 4 x 6 pin pci-e connectors
    Maybe some one can say if it is good enough with some adaptors?
    Or maybe someone has a better solution to the problem? 
    post edited by kanuseeme - 2014/09/10 11:07:16
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile