EVGA

Google Sketching a multi system case: Ideas and feed back welcome!

Author
nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2884
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2014/07/13 02:26:41 (permalink)
So I am currently out of the country doing the military thing and to keep myself occupied in my off time I have been hunting the For Sale forums and the WTB/PC Forums for hardware.  So far I have amassed four X58 systems (three E760s and one E762) each complete with the EK mobo blocks.  My buddy back home is apparently drowning in boxes of parts...  any way I had a thread earlier regarding a multi system cooling loop and this is what I had come up with so far to house three of these systems in.

To start out the cost for doing this needed to be equivalent or less than buying decent cases to house each system on its own with it's own loop for the Mobo/CPU(and now some GTX 480 hydro Coppers ).  Considering the parts I currently have and what is needed the budget is around $250-300.  So the case and final parts needed to fit in this range.

The bulk of the construction will be 3/4" Plywood, however I am still unsure of exactly what type will be used but something fine grained and decent with finishing.  I decided this would work as I have the tools readily available so no work would need to be sourced out to a shop for custom fabrication($$$).
Another aspect I wanted to work on was making sure there was not a huge amount of wasted space, but enough to comfortably fit three machines in and not require a CDL to move it around when I take it to LANs from my duty station to home in SC.  So far after a few teaks I am down to roughly 50" X 13" X 19".

Using some premade models(and it just so happens they had my mobos on there!) to test fit components in.  These are some of the early ideas of what it would look like.

The case was designed so you can stand it up vertically on the floor or lay it on its side on a desk.  The plexi covers the front access door and I would like to shape it but I will have to do more research on a suitable method or I may have to find an alternative way of doing it.  The front access door will use a 48" piano hinge (continuous hinge) so it can keep a low profile.  I am still debating using a gas spring prop for the door or not but it may be to costly and complicated to make worth while.

I am still deciding if the back should open up for easy access to the mess of wiring and tubing or just leave it as a removable piece of plexi.  The PSUs will be mounted internally.  I currently have three EVGA 750Gs that are semi modular so cable clutter will be cut to a minimum.  The cords will be secured and will probably stored inside a compartment and then can be pulled out when the system is ready to be plugged in and used.

I don't have an exact idea on the cut outs for the fans/360 rads yet but they may end up with some fancy shroud or grills to make it clean looking and support a fan filter.  The same will go for the two exhaust fans on the front access door.

Here you can see the basics of what is planned for water cooling.  Two 250ml reservoirs each supplying a separate cooling loop.  One for mobos and CPUs, and another for GPUs.  The reservoirs will have the fill tube feed directly up and there will be fill ports external of the case.  The fans, lighting, and water cooling will have it's own separate power supply and control system so it wont be biased to one system or another if they are on or off.  I will probably have two normal quiet fans on each rad and one delta PWM to give it a bit of a kick if needed using a programmable fan controller and some temp sensors in the loop.  The front access door will have two exhaust fans and may house some of the lighting(either LED strip or CCFL).

Here you can get an idea of how the inside is laid out.  I am skipping the intricacies of having PCI back planes and the expense of a lot of the premade mobo trays like Mountain Mods or Case Labs as they would reach nearly $300 alone.  While I am still not 100% sure what would make for great hardware to mount the mobos to the ply wood I will be taking a page out of the GPU miner book and use some flat bar aluminum to screw the GPUs too.  As far as the I/O ports on the mobo I am still playing with the idea of using some of those useless mobo PCIe slot adapters with the extra USB ports and integrating those to the side panel of the case.  May find some cheap audio cables and do the same so the ports in the back of the mobo will go unused.  For networking I will simply use a gigabit switch and network all of them internally with a single external cable that can be tucked away until I need it to connect to a router.   For the GPUs I plan on having a secured 6' DVI cable that will be stored in a compartment and pulled out when needed so it never gets removed from the card.  A lot of the details in the back plane of the mobos has yet to be added into the model and it may wait for the cad stage once I get some measurements from another few hours of google searching.

So let me know what you think!  I will be adding more pictures once I design some more and get some more research done.

post edited by nikkocortez - 2014/07/13 02:32:47

1 Reply Related Threads

Speedrookie
    • Total Posts : 73
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Google Sketching a multi system case: Ideas and feed back welcome! 2014/07/22 20:17:22 (permalink)
    I think you will need more locations for radiators to liquid cool 3 PC's. Just curious but how would you be able to access the GPU's? I don't know exactly whats going on with this and you wanted feed back so take my feedback lightly. Looks cool though, I like the angles and curves. Also if you have the PC standing up the reservoirs would be on the side and could get air in the loop. The side fan would be blocked by the base aswell.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-6700K OC @4.6GHz
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3600MHz CAS 16 
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 240GB
    HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200 RPM SSHD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Headset: Astro A40
    Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum RGB 
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile