Narcissist

Author
eikast
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 708
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/22 05:08:11 (permalink)
Do any of you have family members that are narcissists? If so what is their relationship to and how have you came along?
I assume that if anyone had a friend who was one that they would easily just remove that person from their life, now a family member, specifically a parent is really hard to remove from your life especially when they raised you and molded you and everyone around them to become dependent on them. 

My father is a narcissist, I found out what a narcissist was (details about it, I always knew about it but never knew the details and tried to compare my father to the symptoms) maybe back in November and life has been much easier for me. My self confidence received a huge boost. 

Quick summary of my father:
-Did not let my mother work
-Takes credit for everything, any problem arises and he blames it on others
-Speaks highly of himself as if he's a genius (in which he really isn't)
-Gives no thanks to those who help him and criticizes others for not helping him
-Is highly critical of everyone, especially his wife and children yet fails to see his own flaws
-Is a compulsive liar
-Belittles everyone around him, including me. Will at times call people lazy or stupid. When people are busy or not spending time with him he'll criticize them for being a bad person
-When he becomes sick or doesn't feel well he will be a drama queen and overact and act as if he's in great pain and if he has high blood pressure he will blame others and say that others are making him feel ill. Funny story, he took my mother and my sisters around for a long drive and my mother was very sick and was throwing up. When he took her to the urgent care when she was seeing the doctor he was talking smack about my mother's deceased father who died from cancer back in 2006. Would you believe that he never let her see her father when he was dying or see his grave when she went back to visit her home country TWICE ?
-Huge hypocrite 
-Lastly but not least (there's more but I'm going to sign out soon), he LOVES control. Whether it be with the way people organize furniture in their bedrooms, hanging posters, or deciding their own future (what to study, he's trying to control what my sisters study in college, for me I didn't give in but he'll criticize and say that you'll fail and that you won't succeed if you decide to do something that he doesn't recommend).
-Sorry one last thing. He never apologizes unless you confront him about something  and he can recall what happened. But 99% of the time he won't ever apologize. If you bring something up that happened more than a few days or a week he'll act as if it didn't happen or as if he really doesn't remember (ya okay, this is the same guy who expects everyone to remember everything that he wants them to remember).

Edit:
I forgot to mention that he never accepts any criticism. If he criticizes you and you fairly defense yourself he'll say that you need to learn to take criticism but if you politely criticize him over something he'll take it as an outright insult.

He likes to put guilt into people's heads. The worst trait is that when you suggest something to him he'll completely brush it off then later on do what you suggested and say that he's happy that he thought about it. Oh ya, he demands appraisal and adoration, yet he does not praise or adore anyone (not even his wife).

He makes his wife (my step mom) sleep with my sisters on the floor in their bedroom because she snores. He never hugs or kisses her or my sisters. He's called his wife fat and try to compare her to other women to put her done. He never says that my sisters are beautiful or smart or praises them (apparently girls need that love from their father).

Did I mention that this [expletive deleted] was spoiled by his parents compared to his siblings, his parents sent him to Turkey, Italy, and Cyrpus before he came to America. In all three of those places he messed something up but somehow makes an excuse for giving up on school over there. He says that his parents didn't love him and didn't support him (roll my eyes).

As for me. I don't consider myself a [expletive deleted] up. I got a bachelors degree from the university of Michigan in aerospace engineering. Sure, I didn't get a job due to a mediocre 3.0 GPA in upper division courses but now I'm going back to school to get a masters in computer science and so far I'm doing pretty darn good. After I graduated, my father told me that I was a stupid [expletive deleted] idiot loser that would be lucky if I had half the stuff he has when I reach his age. Ever since finding out what he was I use that as motivation. I use that as fuel for the fire that burns in me. He's successful but he's by no means a type of person someone looks up to when it comes to success, like he's no millionaire. He's not rich and there's nothing wrong with that. But with that ego of his and the way he treats others he acts as if he's freaken Steve Jobs. So my goal in life is just to be better than him. I don't even want kids until I'm in my mid thirties. I want them to have a good father who truly loves them.

Edit by Jedi - removed some colorful descriptions.
post edited by NordicJedi - 2014/07/22 10:38:57

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=70164
i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz 1.28V
eVGA Titan X SC 1380 MhZ boost core clock.
Switech MCR140-X Drive
EK Titan X waterblock
16 GB G.Skill 1600 MHz 
MSI Z77a-gd55
Samsung 1TB 840 SSD
1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Logitech G502 
Sennheiser PC 350 SE
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Battlefield 4 edition)
Razer Destructor 2 (Battlefield 4 edition)
Asus Xonar Essence Stx
Acer XB280HK

11 Replies Related Threads

o4kareg
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 05:58:18 (permalink)
    To be better than someone else is a bad idea. In such case, your whole life will be a competition. It's a tough life. Just be yourself, and that would be the best way. If so, you'll definitely be better.

When war is declared, Truth is the first casualty.
    zildjian75
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1261
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 06:42:10 (permalink)
    Man....  It seems to me you have it all figured out.  Do your best to make sure you don't inherit the same qualities.

I would stay away as much as possible.  I know that can be tough since he is your father, but it is what it is. If you don't like him, steer clear.  Don't let him bring you down.

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 10:52:06 (permalink)
    I removed some swearing in the thread.  I understand it's an emotional topic, but we do not permit swearing - even if it will be caught by the filters.

When you start moving away from taking those sorts of comments personally (not that it's easy), and start reinforcing your own self-esteem with positive reinforcement from other friends and family, you'll continue to get better and stay on track to reach your goals.  People like that, as you described, have their own issues to deal with, and bringing you down is just one of many things done for them to feel better about themselves.  Don't get sucked into that game, but also don't try to do anything so that you'll one day be able to confront him and tear him down.  As you should know by now, that won't work, and you'll never find acceptance from him that way.  

The hardest thing you'll have to deal with is making sure that you do things that you want to do, not as a reaction to proving yourself to someone who doesn't care about your own achievements, or as a way to be "better than him".  If that's your goal, it won't bring you happiness.  Although you will try to better yourself in the process, it will only remind you of what you've dealt with, and it will bring in anger, frustration, and other negative emotions.  There's no finish line to be crossed if you look at life that way.  Instead, cut him out of your goals, and try to be the best and most talented person you can be.  That will be the first step to forever ensuring that you'll be better than your father.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 11:31:11 (permalink)
    I've noticed people will refer to the extreme folks as those most qualifying for the label, but the fact is we all have a tiny bit of self-importance in us, some more than others.  I've noticed narcissists on this forum, people that feel so highly of their computer purchases that they react a certain way to other people's builds or suggestions.  What do to about it?  Nothing, we can hope they grow out of it.  The thing to remember about those folks that fall under the extremes of a word: They don't think they are [that] bad; they aren't humble or have humility and always point to others that are worse as if to justify themselves as opposed to being "the better man".  

Unless you can find a more extreme example to show them how they come off as to everyone else, you got to wait it out and let them loose interest in trying to show others where they stand, whether you are involved or not (you don't have to stick around, you don't have to invest time unless you're doing it for the sake of others).  Just remind yourself how important they are to you (not potential or hypothetical), who cares what they think of themselves.  If you think you have to deal with it, be critical of yourself as to 'why'; no one 'has to' do anything abotu others unless you feel you can do something about it.  

That way, you don't hurt yourself trying because it is possible to loose focus and context trying to deal with a narcissist when they operate on the basis of just being better than you; that is their default.  They aren't curious about much, especially the idea of being wrong.  I've noticed though when they do realize they were wrong in a discussion, they blow it off as if it doesn't happen often enough; it is hard to control ones' self at that point, I admit.  But you got to.
    post edited by lehpron - 2014/07/22 11:36:20

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3797
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 11:34:47 (permalink)
    Now the children of people tend to be more critical of their parents then others... If he hasn't been officially diagnosed as a narcissistic individual then I'd be careful as I personally and others take mental health seriously and there isn't much support on the issue now... I don't have a narcissist in my immediate life but my sisters boyfriend acts like one... He is exactly like you describe your dad tried to control everything his mistake was trying to control me... When I was growing up I was known as the master manipulator willing to do whatever it took to get what I want (eventually started using it for good). So I'm pretty much unable to be manipulated where I'm going with this is if he tries to control you you take control back teach your other family members to take control when he sees his world crumbling or loses control he'll break then can be helped...

What I say may or may not help...

Also does he spend prolonged periods looking at himself? Talking to himself? One of the definitions of a narcissist is someone who is aroused by themselves...

Lehpron is correct as well...
    post edited by BF3PRO - 2014/07/22 11:37:32

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

srtie4k
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1589
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 11:51:20 (permalink)
    Unfortunately for you, it sounds like your mother, and potentially your sister, are both submissive to this behavior and have come to accept it as normal. The only way he will ever see what he is doing to his family, that his actions are having a negative impact on everyone around him, is to form a united front that is not accepting of his current behavior, but as long as he has someone under his control he will continue to impose his will on them and feel perfectly content.

Gaming Rig:
    Corsair Vegeance C70, Swiftech H220, Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz (1.24V), Asus Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX860, 16GB Corsair Vegeance DDR3-1600 CL9 1.35V, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Dell 2408WFP, Corsair K70 Cherry Red, Corsair M65, Logitech Z-5500 5.1
    Steambox/HTPC:
    Lian Li PC-Q01A, AMD A10-7800, ASRock FM2A88X-ITX, Seasonic ST30SF, 8GB Samsung DDR3-1600 @ 1866, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB MSATA SSD

Affiliate Code: KKDMX98FNV
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 11:55:52 (permalink)
    Yes, there's a difference between between clinical narcissism and having narcissistic traits, but it generally wreaks havoc if the traits alone are severe enough.  Moreover, you're not likely going to convince someone who is a narcissist that he or she should see a professional to be diagnosed as such, so it's unlikely you'll find a clinical diagnosis in this case.  Regardless, the important lesson here is to avoid allowing people like this to control your life.  The harmful effects of people who emotionally abuse others continue long after they've been pushed them out of someone's life.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    eikast
    SSC Member
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 18:10:22 (permalink)
    o4kareg
    Ya I agree it may not be a great idea, but at least for now it's good motivation for me. One thing is for sure though, I'll be sure to be a better husband and father than he is. 

@zildjian75
    Thanks. I agree, soon I'll be moving a bit closer to my school so I wouldn't see him that often. Maybe once a every 4-6 weeks but by then his attitude towards me will greatly change. He's the kind of person who has to try to impress or be nice to people who he hasn't seen in a while (obviously him being fake). When I was in Michigan, he was so nice to me when I came back to visit CA. My mother on the other hand had told me that he was getting worse and taking a lot of things out on her. I'm a man (not sexist) but I think that men can just take emotional abuse more than a woman can (especially the wife of a narcissist)

@NordicJedi 
    I apologize about that. The filter did nothing, I myself put the * in the words to make it safe for people at work or the younger people. I just didn't censor out the last few letters like "er" or "ing" so people would kind of get what I meant. One of my main problems is that I do plan to tear up his ego in a few years when I feel that it's time to completely rid him from my life (before my wife and I start to have children). I'm not sure if it's because of me wanting revenge or because I want him to acknowledge his personality disorder so that he can seek help so that my mother and sister's won't suffer. My sisters don't have it as bad as I did growing up (when I was starting to hit puberty my father would intimidate me physically and say things like "what do you think because you're getting tall means anything? I'll kick your butt (censored obviously) and throw you out of this house" over something silly. My father starts huge arguments over the silliest things. One time he called my step mother to ask me about traffic via Google Maps back in 2010, she told me that he was off a certain intersection so I looked and spoke to him and said that there isn't any traffic showing on Google Maps. He paused for a second then said something along the lines of "are you [badword] stupid, I'm right here and see traffic. I thought that you were smart with computers and you can't even do something so simple". I asked him what intersection he was at, he replied and then I told him something along of the lines "Look, mom [I call my step mother mom] told me that you were at this other intersection, so don't you start insulting me when it was your fault for giving me the wrong information." Then I said something along the lines of "I know more about electronics and computers more than you will ever know and that's why you called me to ask me for something so trivial that your Motorola droid can show you". I just hung up and left the house walking around the city from 10PM-12am. That so called father of mine deactivated my cell phone [so I couldn't call friends to pick me up]. Then he activated again and my mother was calling crying and begging me to come home, same with my sisters and I so my father driving his car looking for me. This is just one example of my  how my father can turn something such as asking someone to look something up for them into a huge fight. Fortunately for me, I left to  Michigan a few weeks after that. When I came back he went back to his old ways and even got worse to some degree. But since I found out what he was, it doesn't really bother me anymore. The hard part is just me controlling myself from ripping apart his ego. My father is a civil engineer and he doesn't remember the basics of engineering fundamentals such as bending, moments, torsion etc. The only stuff he remembers is stuff that you can look up in a book (general knowledge that doesn't require any engineering). 

@lehpron
    I agree that a lot of people may have narcissistic traits, but I think that there is a huge difference between people like that and narcissists. People posting and defending their purchases or attacking other purchases/builds may just be trying to justify their spending and don't want to feel like they made a mistake or don't have something that's elite. I always try to justify any purchase I make and justify the products that I use (not ignorantly but with facts and a bit of my personal opinion, meaning that I just don't speak out of my rear end), but that's more of pride or reasoning to justify something. Narcissists are truly difficult people. They tend to have no friends if they reveal their true self to everyone or may have a lot if they have two different personalities. My father has pretty much no friends. The one or two that he had 15-20 years ago, he doesn't speak to. 
    @BF3PRO 
    I don't really see myself as being a critical person when it comes to my parents. My birth mother has a horrendous mother who neglected me, abused me, left me alone with strangers in dangerous parts of Los Angeles at the age of 4, left me in an unlocked car at night in bad parts of LA and a lot of things that she has done but I almost never bring her up. My friends just know that I don't like her at all. As for my step mother, I never think ill thoughts of her, I just know that she could never be a real mother to me because I noticed the difference between the way she raised me and my sisters (who are her daughters). A good example of that is when I was their age my father was extremely rough with me (physical threats, emotional abuse but I sucked it up) and she would always say things like "he's your father, he loves you. You have to say sorry to him. He's right". Then when she got into fights with him she'd come and complain to me saying how she wants to divorce him and wants me to take her side (I of course stay neutral). There were even times when she would join him when he would belittle me and just say crap like "you're father's right". Now with my sisters she always stands up for them and makes excuses for them. My sisters unfortunately take advantage of her and I think that it's not right but that's because of the way that she raised them. I don't fault her for that. Yes, she is his enabler. She makes him worse by just agreeing with anything he says and if he asks her for her opinion of something she will just say what he wants to hear. Plus she always praises him, more than she praises her own daughters. But I don't fault her for that. She's just doing what she has to do to survive. I don't know what my father does when he's alone. But he tends to go out a lot on the weekends to do "work" alone. 

Also one last note, the thing about narcissism is that it isn't a mental disease or something, it's simply a personality disorder. There is no medical help for it (people don't take medicine , it's not like depression), it's more of a psychological thing. The problem with narcissist (because I've spent a lot of time reading up on them) is that they believe that they truly are perfect and better than everyone. That they are flawless and that others should try to emulate them. So in order for a narcissist to get help they have to acknowledge that they are one which can be impossible because then that would mean that they are flawed and are in no way a role model for others. It would ruin them so they would prefer to turn on you (which is why I am waiting to confront him about it until I am ready to no longer have him in my life) and make you look crazy and all hell could break lose. 

@srtie4k
    Ya, my mother is completely submissive. My sisters are too but they truly hate him whereas my mother is someone who has hope that he will change after they've been married for 18 years. One of my sisters takes advantage of his disorder and praises him (or do anything to boost his ego) to get out of trouble. My mother asked for a divorce in December when she had too much. My sisters were begging her to do it, I just said "do what you feel like you have to do. He won't ever change, this is who he is. Either accept him the way he is or divorce him and move on with your life". After telling him that she wanted a divorce my father surprisingly was extremely nice to me (which I did not exploit and it was funny because just 2 days prior to this he had a huge argument with me, but that argument had no effect on what I told my mother). He made her feel guilty and avoided her and my sisters at all cost. I tried to get my sisters to talk to him so that he wouldn't think that they pushed her to divorce (when they begged for it). Eventually my mother came to me crying and said that she made a huge mistake and why did I tell her to do that (inside I was about to blow up because my sisters begged her to do it and all i said was enough of the crap talking about how she wanted to divorce him and either do it or quit saying that crap around her daughters because that's not healthy. She did it to me and I know how it feels and I didn't want them to go through what I went through).

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and respond to my original post. Again, I apologize for the edited curse words (that's the way I use them on FB/Reddit and thought that it was allowed here, my bad).

i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz 1.28V
    Switech MCR140-X Drive
    EK Titan X waterblock
    16 GB G.Skill 1600 MHz 
    MSI Z77a-gd55
    Samsung 1TB 840 SSD
    1TB 7200 RPM HDD
    Logitech G502 
    Sennheiser PC 350 SE
    Asus Xonar Essence Stx
    Acer XB280HK
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 18:30:27 (permalink)
    eikast

@NordicJedi 
    I apologize about that. The filter did nothing, I myself put the * in the words to make it safe for people at work or the younger people. I just didn't censor out the last few letters like "er" or "ing" so people would kind of get what I meant. 

I'm going to interject something here, just for clarification purposes, since I feel I need to make a point about that.

Putting an asterisk (*) in a word to try and cover up the meaning is also a TOS violation (Masking Foul Language / Censoring the word). We have issued many warnings throughout the years for doing that. I would suggest posting clean words that still get's your point across. The forum filter is the first line of defense against bad language, and the Mods are secondary to that, in which the warning is issued for the bad language.

"Moreover, using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated.  This applies to text, pictures, videos, or any external links contained in a post."   http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Forums-Terms-of-Use-m4682.aspx

*(If anyone doesn't understand what I just stated above, or has other questions about the TOS, you can freely PM me at any time, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    eikast
    SSC Member
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/22 19:54:16 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    eikast

@NordicJedi 
    I apologize about that. The filter did nothing, I myself put the * in the words to make it safe for people at work or the younger people. I just didn't censor out the last few letters like "er" or "ing" so people would kind of get what I meant. 

I'm going to interject something here, just for clarification purposes, since I feel I need to make a point about that.

Putting an asterisk (*) in a word to try and cover up the meaning is also a TOS violation (Masking Foul Language / Censoring the word). We have issued many warnings throughout the years for doing that. I would suggest posting clean words that still get's your point across. The forum filter is the first line of defense against bad language, and the Mods are secondary to that, in which the warning is issued for the bad language.

"Moreover, using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated.  This applies to text, pictures, videos, or any external links contained in a post."   http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Forums-Terms-of-Use-m4682.aspx

*(If anyone doesn't understand what I just stated above, or has other questions about the TOS, you can freely PM me at any time, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.)

Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's time for me to read the TOS. I can't say if I ever did read them (with the exception of the marketplace TOS, I for sure read that and read the changes that they made a few months ago), but if I did it was probably back when I signed up in 2009.

i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz 1.28V
    Switech MCR140-X Drive
    EK Titan X waterblock
    16 GB G.Skill 1600 MHz 
    MSI Z77a-gd55
    Samsung 1TB 840 SSD
    1TB 7200 RPM HDD
    Logitech G502 
    Sennheiser PC 350 SE
    Asus Xonar Essence Stx
    Acer XB280HK
    Jediexpress
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Narcissist 2014/07/27 00:13:22 (permalink)
    I can't say there is a narcissist in my family.. If anything, they are very supportive and caring.. For instance, my oldest brother is very ill right now.. His computer is outdated.. We all got together and are in the middle of building him an up to date gaming pc..

Now my sister-in-law on the other hand is very self centered.. She regularly calls herself "the smartest person she knows".. Its difficult to have a conversation with her to say the least.

Case Labs TH10, Rampage IV Extreme, Core i7 4930k @ 4.6ghz, 16gb Corsair Dominator GT @2133, 2x GTX 780Ti SC 3gb, Sound Blaster Zx, Corsair AX1200, Aquaero 5 Pro

Custom water cooling, dual loop, all acrylic tubing.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile