EVGA

Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
BioHazardSperm
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 9988
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/19 17:54:33 (permalink)
sorry fact is After burner was well after Precision ,if anything im surprised they allowed MSI to release a product just like what they did and just re-brand it ,when Unwinder stopped being willing to add features that he was willingly adding To AB (most of which were wanted here and thought of here first) What was Evga to do?Unwinder is a great talented and helpful man,but when the FORUMS users here turned on him (unjustly) he got mad and Precision was only basically updated here and then while AB had features added for many builds since then.

I see why EVGA did what they did .I would have insisted a complete new UI and etc but they chose to go with the Old style people knew.Alot of people ending up with egg on face now  .And TBH IF he wanted to sue he could as most lawyers would see a great payday if they could prove whats been claimed ,no reason not to take the case even being across world borders .time to stop beating a dead horse and digging the hole deeper as no one is looking smarted here ,only silly . This is my one and only post anywhere on the topic .Bye

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

theGryphon
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4069
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/19 20:19:54 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Important announcement:

We understand that there is a lot of confusion and misinformation in the internet community about Guru3D’s article titled “Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?”. We would like to clarify the following:
  1. Precision’s original main GUI concept was designed and provided to the community by EVGA in 2008.
  2. The RivaTuner control panel and backend code in prior versions of Precision were developed and is owned by the RivaTuner developer. EVGA does not own the source code for any RivaTuner code. EVGA paid for the development and distribution rights per the contract.
  3. The new EVGA PrecisionX 15 was coded from scratch by EVGA without copying any of the RivaTuner code.
  4. Both RivaTuner and EVGA PrecisionX 15 make use of the NVIDIA NVAPI to communicate with NVIDIA graphics cards and drivers, which is owned and provided by NVIDIA.
Some people mentioned that the file structure in EVGA PrecisionX 15 is similar to the previous version of Precision. During development, we referenced the USF skin format (which has been published by RivaTuner developer at Guru3D forums in 2009 http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3316361&postcount=8 to allow the community to create their own skins). The above mentioned feature would make it simple to allow users to recompile any previous skins to work with the new version of PrecisionX 15. However, we do understand the confusion caused by trying to maintain this feature and we will change it in the next release.

Next, it was also mentioned that the code contains text references (not code) to the word “RivaTuner” and the word “RTTSH.dll”, a RivaTuner file. This actually came from the user interface localization / help (wording). During the original Precision development, EVGA worked with several outside firms to help translate user interface help files into various languages, unfortunately this is a misprint in the translation files and will be fixed. Again, no RivaTuner code was ever used in EVGA PrecisionX 15. We apologize to the RivaTuner developer for this error.

Originally our goal was to add more features such as 64bit OSD, Steam, updated voltage controls, and more to a new version without changing the Precision user’s experience that they were already familiar with. Unfortunately, the “similarities” between the two programs have led people to believe that EVGA might have copied the code and design from RivaTuner, which is not the case. Given the circumstances, in order to remove any questions and to further differentiate it visually from the previous versions of EVGA Precision, EVGA has decided to listen to the community and suspend the downloading of EVGA PrecisionX 15 temporarily while these updates are being implemented.

Please remember, Precision was and is built for the community and without the community EVGA Precision and many other overclocking utilities would not be where they are today. It is EVGA’s commitment to continue investing in the development of PrecisionX by adding the features the community asks for while providing it free of charge!

Thank You,
EVGA

No, thank you, EVGA!
This is what I've been expecting: a clear statement of what's been done and why, and a straight apology for what's due (which does not involve any stealing or copying but rather blunders involving references to RTSS and certain RTSS resources), and a clear direction for the in-house Precision to strictly distinguish itself from previous versions.

Seriously, people need to stop this copying/stealing talk. Haters are gonna hate, but at least have some support behind the allegations. Even when Unwinder himself said EVGA does not have the code, even when the new Precision is lacking certain some features and is evidently more buggy, on what basis can anyone talk about stealing or copying the code?

It is very clear from EVGA's above response is that they did (unnecessarily and I might add naively) try to maintain the skinning feature and kept using the same references/IDs/etc to the same resources. Does that make them thieves? No, it just makes them naive enough to think that they're just doing some service to the community, while instead the community interpreted it in the most evil way possible. Lesson learned, for EVGA, sigh...

They also mention the "similarities" and that they're going to change things around. Now that was a bad call from the get-go, but at least they're correcting it...

Now I expect some real level-headedness from Unwinder, and would like to ask him in all honesty, is it possible that EVGA is telling the truth, and that all this was a well-mannered, yet naive and novice and even thoughtless attempt to just keep an existing feature and visuals, coupled with some programming mishaps, which all-in-all grew beyond proportion, or would you rather ride on the "evil EVGA" wave? I totally understand why you might feel offended due to the unwarranted similarities, but I think it's time to calm the waters down, don't you think?

At the end, it was perhaps necessary that the community responded the way they did, just so that EVGA is righting some wrongs (again, which did not involve copying the code, but rather replicating some UI elements sprinkled with programming issues). But I also think it's time to stop using this excuse to spread hate, name-calling, and other insults and bashing both towards EVGA and community members who think highly of EVGA (surely, you may have had some other bad experience with EVGA, but that's another matter). I'm posting here but my words are to everyone who has commented on this issue on this forum or another...

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/21 10:50:11 (permalink)
Sure are a lot of armchair experts on the issue on both sides here. 99% of you are not qualified to speak of either side of the issue. Where are people coming up with half of the made-up nonsense people are talking about in this thread? Guru3D vs EVGA fanboys mega-facepalm edition.
Vosse
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/22 00:00:20 (permalink)

I will never buy an EVGA product again and I will warn against anyone I know from doing so.

Congratulations EVGA

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/22 00:16:33 (permalink)
Vosse

I will never buy an EVGA product again and I will warn against anyone I know from doing so.

Congratulations EVGA

LMAO!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! wow too funny.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

wrinvert
R.I.P Friend
  • Total Posts : 3751
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/22 03:18:00 (permalink)
Brad i heard you took pay offs from private parties to comment randomly on this topic in full support of both parties involved.

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/22 03:33:53 (permalink)
Vosse

Congratulations EVGA

so EVGA lost 2 customers and a mule?
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102231
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/22 03:38:53 (permalink)
wrinvert
Brad i heard you took pay offs from private parties to comment randomly on this topic in full support of both parties involved.

A man has to make a living somehow.  LOL!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/22 08:27:52 (permalink)
rjohnson11
wrinvert

A man has to make a living somehow.  LOL!

A case of beer and two bags of Cheetos. I guess I can be had for cheap.

A bit of insight. As a software product manager I'll chime in on the subject. Nothing keeps anyone from making knockoffs of a software product. If you keep the status quo as a monopoly, people will seek to compete because you are an easy target. I've learned this the hard way over time. The only thing that differentiates one piece of software from another is unique feature set and customer support. Preferably you are proactive enough that you can have both. It's better to lead the way and have other companies attempt to keep up with you rather than chasing after someone else's design. Afterall, you're designing software to meet the need of an ever changing customer base, not statically designing it just to feature match some other company's product. (Reminds me of AMD Eyefinity vs Nvidia Surround...but that is a subject for another time)

Look to things that differentiate your software from each other in the future as selling points based on customer feature requests. If done right, in a short time neither products will look or act the same because they would have evolved away from each other based on customer feature requests in an organic manner.

The only thing I can assume out of this is that EVGA wants control over the development internally and communication didn't seem to be working with both involved parties. They went their own way. On with life...
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/07/22 09:17:11
eikast
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 708
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/22 21:17:26 (permalink)
I love EVGA and their products, unfortunately this is troubling news to me. Sure they may have built the software ground up without copying code, but the GUI is way too similar. I'm sure that this was a decision made up top to minimize cost and the people who worked on this build or people who work for EVGA releasing statements have nothing to do with that decision. In my opinion, using the same GUI is pretty bad and it does cause lawsuits if the original developer had patents or something of the sort for their design. The hard part was the coding, it shouldn't have cost that much in coming up with a new design or at the very least changing the layout. At least the software is free for the end users so this isn't as bad. 

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=70164
i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz 1.28V
eVGA Titan X SC 1380 MhZ boost core clock.
Switech MCR140-X Drive
EK Titan X waterblock
16 GB G.Skill 1600 MHz 
MSI Z77a-gd55
Samsung 1TB 840 SSD
1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Logitech G502 
Sennheiser PC 350 SE
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Battlefield 4 edition)
Razer Destructor 2 (Battlefield 4 edition)
Asus Xonar Essence Stx
Acer XB280HK
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/22 21:59:47 (permalink)
eikast
I love EVGA and their products, unfortunately this is troubling news to me. Sure they may have built the software ground up without copying code, but the GUI is way too similar. I'm sure that this was a decision made up top to minimize cost and the people who worked on this build or people who work for EVGA releasing statements have nothing to do with that decision. In my opinion, using the same GUI is pretty bad and it does cause lawsuits if the original developer had patents or something of the sort for their design. The hard part was the coding, it shouldn't have cost that much in coming up with a new design or at the very least changing the layout. At least the software is free for the end users so this isn't as bad. 

Guess you missed this bit:

EVGA_JacobF
Precision’s original main GUI concept was designed and provided to the community by EVGA in 2008.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Krighton_
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/27 14:53:09 (permalink)
Well this whole thing is funny. Like little girls on the phone gossiping about the prom and who danced with who.

Get over yourselves. Stuck up company and a stuck up developer who thinks he deserves the keys to the kingdom.

I'll just use Afterburner and won't be back.

Grow up ladies.

Intel i7 3960x @ 4Ghz
16GB Corsair RAM 1600Mhz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4102 Bios
2 Nvidia GTX 770s 2way SLI
Windows 8 Pro 64Bit (System Builder Edition)
Razer DeathStalker Elite
Razer Orbweaver
Razer Naga Epic
3 -Asus V247H 24" Monitors
XFX Triple Monitor Stand

NZXT Switch 810 Case
BioHazardSperm
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 9988
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/27 15:25:59 (permalink)
Krighton_
Well this whole thing is funny. Like little girls on the phone gossiping about the prom and who danced with who.

Get over yourselves. Stuck up company and a stuck up developer who thinks he deserves the keys to the kingdom.

Grow up ladies.

LOL he insults both but still wants to use AB ......(made by the same guy he just insults ) its almost laughable

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

theGryphon
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4069
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/28 21:47:44 (permalink)
BioHazardSperm
Krighton_

Grow up ladies.

LOL he insults both but still wants to use AB ......(made by the same guy he just insults ) its almost laughable

Yeah, I found that funny too :)

sahafiec
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1344
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/08/14 23:29:05 (permalink)
well, even this discussion damages EVGA's reputation and image in my opinion.
work and intellectual property should be sacred and I think this route was the worst possible EVGA could choose for the Precision product.
one day the same issue can happen to EVGA's property, I wonder (although I know it) what some of you guys will then say.

one day todays EVGA can become Unwinder, so was it worth EVGA?

I've been using RivaTuner since the very early days, also Afterburner and Precision. no matter what the main GUI looks like, we all know what's behind.

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21169
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/08/15 17:47:39 (permalink)

Why revive this thread after 3 weeks?  I thought it was finally laid to rest.

no matter what the main GUI looks like, we all know what's behind.

Oh yeah?  I bet you were thinking that RivaTuner was behind it.  But, no, that is not true.
NVIDIA's API is what is behind it.    The API is provided by NVIDIA for anyone to use.   Unwinder didn't invent a method of communicating with the video card and EVGA didn't steal it.

EVGA didn't steal the skin system either since it was provided publicly to everyone.  Knowing how the skins worked, EVGA programmed their software to accept those identifiers so that previously-made skins would still work in the new version.

Please re-read EVGA's official statement.  Even though it appears that EVGA has not done anything wrong, EVGA has decided to further differentiate their software from Unwinder's software due to such a ridiculous public outcry.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/08/17 10:30:56
phobicsquirrel
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/08/21 12:46:51 (permalink)
Vosse

Congratulations EVGA

lol... Posts like these make me think of the fan transformers fan boys who say they will not watch any of the movies until Bay leaves, though I know they do.

I'm sad that PX has been taken down, I really liked it. My SSD broke so when I got my new one I found out PX was going through all of this mess and now I have no PX. I hope a new version will be out soon. Personally, I feel that EVGA did the right thing however in a lot of ways there is only so many ways to do something so while some of the features were copied or sort of copied doesn't really bother me but EVGA knows what's best.

Windows: Windows 7
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black
Memory: G Skill Ripjaw Z 16g DDR3-2133
CPU: i7-4930K @ 4.4ghz
PSU: Evga Supernova 1000P2
GPU: GTX 980
Monitor: 301 Sparta 2560x1600
lordraptor1
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3682
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2018/02/22 04:55:09 (permalink)
interesting that this thread still exsists, but i can clearly see evga stealing it.  i mean after all they tampered with my products page to indicate my 3 gtx 560Ti ( whic came from and rma on some lifetime warranty cards) GPU's were bought one from micro center and the other 2 from somewhere else and that is sad considering i have only ever bought from micro center 1 time and it was a Q6600 CPU and as such are claiming they are outside of warranty.  this is fine by me because evga isnt the only game in town  for GPU's and (in normal circumstances unlike the current price gouging going on) some other brands are better and cheaper and with everyone including evga having 3 year warranty there really is no benefit to buying EVGA branded GPU's.  been relaying my personal experiance about the matter on social media as of late to let others know what to expect from the apparent new evga where customers dont mean much but i digress that is another story.

in regards to the precision fiasco, i will say this afterburner is crap been reading a few complaints about it lately and also make a statement regarding the new evga oc utility and that is it sucks unless you have newer cards, those still running 5. 6, 7 series cards cant really use it for a fact i know it doesnt work with 560Ti's. 

i see no reason at this juncture to support evga rivatuner or unwinder.  think about it be fair dont support EITHER party evga or unwinder problem solved :D

i am offended by your sig so you need to remove it. 

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21169
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2018/02/22 07:20:55 (permalink)
Yes this thread still exists more than 3 years later. It's interesting that you would necro this thread 3 years later. Why?

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/02/22 07:24:47

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2018/02/22 07:31:37 (permalink)
lordraptor1
interesting that this thread still exsists, but i can clearly see evga stealing it.  i mean after all they tampered with my products page to indicate my 3 gtx 560Ti ( whic came from and rma on some lifetime warranty cards) GPU's were bought one from micro center and the other 2 from somewhere else and that is sad considering i have only ever bought from micro center 1 time and it was a Q6600 CPU and as such are claiming they are outside of warranty.  this is fine by me because evga isnt the only game in town  for GPU's and (in normal circumstances unlike the current price gouging going on) some other brands are better and cheaper and with everyone including evga having 3 year warranty there really is no benefit to buying EVGA branded GPU's.  been relaying my personal experiance about the matter on social media as of late to let others know what to expect from the apparent new evga where customers dont mean much but i digress that is another story.

in regards to the precision fiasco, i will say this afterburner is crap been reading a few complaints about it lately and also make a statement regarding the new evga oc utility and that is it sucks unless you have newer cards, those still running 5. 6, 7 series cards cant really use it for a fact i know it doesnt work with 560Ti's. 

i see no reason at this juncture to support evga rivatuner or unwinder.  think about it be fair dont support EITHER party evga or unwinder problem solved :D

There was a thread created for this purpose. No reason to necro a thread from
3.5 years ago:

https://forums.evga.com/j...-goodbye-m2766810.aspx

Also, welcome back. Your goodbye didn’t last long at all.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2018/02/22 11:46:22 (permalink)
just saying good-bye? Guessing Here?
To Funny "i am offended by your sig so you need to remove it."
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/02/22 11:50:06

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile