EVGA

Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 11:04:54 (permalink)
kaninja
candle_86
nah good folks will continue to support EVGA and continue to buy Quality American products.

lol, what American products....most of what they sell is made in Asia.

company is an American company, thats all I care about.
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 11:09:19 (permalink)
maskedmenace
Per Unwinder:

Hope those are my last comments on this story. First, there are different rumors walking on the net related to the product licensing terms. Some people are trying to justify copying from the previous versions, so I’d like to clarify that to prevent any misunderstanding:

The agreement defines the following intellectual property ownership terms: software product which I develop remains my copyrighted property, but during the contract the company receives exclusive distribution rights on it. Besides exclusive software distribution rights the company exclusively owns all the rest intellectual property, which is not directly related to software and which I could create during the contract: i.e. product name, product logos, artwork. That’s all. There are absolutely no ways to fit any form of previous software copy-pasting into the licensing model.

Second, I just decided to peek inside "in-house" application EXE. I'd better avoid doing so: even my original EXE string table is inside new executable as is. Including all the messages of original application, including all the messages of my proprietary USF skin compiler / decompiler built into original RivaTuner skinning engine, even including the references to original RivaTuner core libraries (RTTSH.dll). Even including the messages related to RivaTuner’s G15 LCD output module, which the company probably also tried to clone but couldn’t get working yet. Really, EVGA? 

Dear company PRs, take a fair advice and simply stop giving any public comments with fake excuses. I’m not going to start a legal action against the company, I’m not asking for ANY compensation. I just want to let my users know the truth, protect my software, my ideas and technologies and then forget our past partnership. Just keep your lips sealed and let this story die istelf. Do not beat the dead horse.

This really puts a solid end to the debacle.

It was copied. EVGA failed to give him credit...It is what it is.

Never stand up in court....

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

shogon
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2741
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 11:21:18 (permalink)
Bummer. Not sure if this will effect my purchasing of EVGA stuff in the future. Deep down I think it will unfortunately, just like that time long ago when it took EVGA 6+ months for p67/z68 to support Ivy Bridge. 

I will either find a way, or make one.

٩(๏̯͡๏)۶ 
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 11:29:37 (permalink)
it affected mine, im buying a GTX 780 Ti Superclocked instead of the MSI one :D
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 11:45:13 (permalink)
Too bad for EVGA. They are way too short sighted to see the long term negative impact this will have. Sure they got away with it, and I am sure they were banking on the fact Unwinder lives half way around the world and the difficulty taking legal action he would have.....which makes this sort of crap even worse.

To the rest of the community (outside the EVGA forums) not everyone condones this here, and we don't all believe what some other trolls here believe.

Such a small thing EVGA.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10329
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 12:35:50 (permalink)
I'm not a programmer or anything of the sort, but after reading through this thread and the one at Guru and others, one thing keeps coming to mind.  If this was a blatant "cut/paste" as so many are claiming, why is it so bug riddled and why is the OSD look and work nothing like how using RTSS does?

In my mind, it would seem that if it were an "exact" copy as so many insist, it would be running trouble free like it did before.  Less the 64bit OSD support of course.

Just my 2 cents...
post edited by bdary - 2014/07/17 12:38:00

kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 13:32:13 (permalink)
kaninja
Too bad for EVGA. They are way too short sighted to see the long term negative impact this will have. Sure they got away with it, and I am sure they were banking on the fact Unwinder lives half way around the world and the difficulty taking legal action he would have.....which makes this sort of crap even worse.

To the rest of the community (outside the EVGA forums) not everyone condones this here, and we don't all believe what some other trolls here believe.

Such a small thing EVGA.

Why don't you let it rest. You're talking out your backside on this (non) issue.
WinMacLin
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 14:09:26 (permalink)
bdary
I'm not a programmer or anything of the sort, but after reading through this thread and the one at Guru and others, one thing keeps coming to mind.  If this was a blatant "cut/paste" as so many are claiming, why is it so bug riddled and why is the OSD look and work nothing like how using RTSS does?

In my mind, it would seem that if it were an "exact" copy as so many insist, it would be running trouble free like it did before.  Less the 64bit OSD support of course.

Just my 2 cents...

You'd have to be a Programmer to understand what they've done. When you write software like this it is compiled into a machine readable format. The original code that the programmer actually wrote is not accessible.

However there are lots of programs out there which allow you to decompile a compiled binary. The thing is when you compile software a lot of the information is condensed and interpreted by the compiler so when you decompile it later the code looks completely different. It is pretty much not able to be read by human eyes unless you are extremely talented and modifying that decompiled code to add new features is almost impossible and a lot more work than if you had the original source.

So what EVGA have done is decompiled the original binary and then reverse engineered it. They give the program an input and watch what it does then they write new code that does the same thing. They may not even understand why the program does what it does but that doesn't matter to them as they are simply copying the steps to get the result.

Another thing they've done is resource copying. When you decompile a binary there are many resources such as fonts, dynamic link libraries, images, text strings and so on which you can just include in your own software without needing to modify them in the future. In this case they've literally opened the old Precision X in a resource manager and pulled out this content and then stuck it in to their own clone when they are compiling it.

It is unethical in my opinion but now you may understand why it doesn't work very well.

SilentRecoil
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 14:25:26 (permalink)
Looks like someone decompiled both versions and compared the code over on OCN, and they're different. As a matter of fact, the new Precision is a lot larger. http://www.overclock.net/...t/200_50#post_22580588

System: SLI GTX 760s @ 1204Mhz core/ 7012 Mhz mem  || i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz w/ Phanteks PH TC12DX   ||  z68 SLI   ||  8GB Mushin 1600Mhz 
WinMacLin
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 14:42:01 (permalink)
SilentRecoil
Looks like someone decompiled both versions and compared the code over on OCN, and they're different. As a matter of fact, the new Precision is a lot larger. http://www.overclock.net/...t/200_50#post_22580588

I would agree with this assessment. In my opinion they reverse engineered Unwinders Precision X simply by monitoring what it did when they gave it input, watching the programs output and then writing code that would do the same thing and by that I mean making the same calls to the system, drivers and so on.

This really is the only way they could have done it as they didn't have Unwinders source code and the programs functionality differs so greatly from Unwinders version that its totally out of the question that they simply modified his binary and re-released it. It's definitely their own code but unethically a reproduction of his software.

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 14:48:40 (permalink)
WinMacLin
bdary

Just my 2 cents...

You'd have to be a Programmer to understand what they've done. When you write software like this it is compiled into a machine readable format. The original code that the programmer actually wrote is not accessible.

However there are lots of programs out there which allow you to decompile a compiled binary. The thing is when you compile software a lot of the information is condensed and interpreted by the compiler so when you decompile it later the code looks completely different. It is pretty much not able to be read by human eyes unless you are extremely talented and modifying that decompiled code to add new features is almost impossible and a lot more work than if you had the original source.

So what EVGA have done is decompiled the original binary and then reverse engineered it. They give the program an input and watch what it does then they write new code that does the same thing. They may not even understand why the program does what it does but that doesn't matter to them as they are simply copying the steps to get the result.

Another thing they've done is resource copying. When you decompile a binary there are many resources such as fonts, dynamic link libraries, images, text strings and so on which you can just include in your own software without needing to modify them in the future. In this case they've literally opened the old Precision X in a resource manager and pulled out this content and then stuck it in to their own clone when they are compiling it.

It is unethical in my opinion but now you may understand why it doesn't work very well.

Thanks for the explanation as to how things like this "could" work.  But I'm not buying it.  There is no proof of what your claim is and actually now, some proof to the contrary.  >>  http://www.overclock.net/t/1502290/guru3d-did-evga-just-steal-the-rivatuner-rtss-design-concept/200_50#post_22580588

The statements in bold are only an opinion on what EVGA "could have" done, and not based on any factual basis.

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 14:51:22 (permalink)
Read further he states this.

It's all good, I have updated my post to make my findings a little bit clearer.

I want to re-emphasize all it does is point out the things I can find in the garbage dump of both programs, specifically BUILD 5.0.0.0.17

I have nothing against Unwinder, but I am leaning towards EVGA having written a significant portion of the code, if not all of it.

http://www.overclock.net/...cept/250#post_22580730
WinMacLin
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 14:51:25 (permalink)
bdary
WinMacLin
bdary

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the explanation as to how things like this "could" work.  But I'm not buying it.  There is no proof of what your claim is and actually now, some proof to the contrary.  >>  http://www.overclock.net/t/1502290/guru3d-did-evga-just-steal-the-rivatuner-rtss-design-concept/200_50#post_22580588

The statements in bold are only an opinion on what EVGA "could have" done, and not based on any factual basis.

Had you read the part right next to the first piece you bolded you would identify this piece of text: They give the program an input and watch what it does then they write new code that does the same thing.

And you do not understand what resources were used. The EULA text string the user has to agree to before using the software is a resource (in programming terminology) and it was included in EVGA's copy. Not just a rewriting, 1:1 copy and pasted.

I just wanted to note, no one not even Unwinder is claiming they have taken code he wrote with his own fingers and put it in to their clone of his software. What people are suggesting is that they've examined his program with a magnifying glass and then wrote code that does exactly the same things in exactly the same ways. In programming there is more than one way to write the same thing. EVGA's code base being 10x larger just illustrates this point when the program looks in appearance identical and yet takes 10 times more code to implement the same ideas.
post edited by WinMacLin - 2014/07/17 14:54:24

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 15:03:01 (permalink)
As far as I'm concerned, there's a lot of speculation with a bit of fact sprinkled in going on here on both sides.  I like EVGA and I've enjoyed EVGA's/Unwinders software for several years.  Personally, this is between them and shouldn't be getting aired out like this without knowing ALL the facts which we don't, and probably never will.

Again, my 2 cents... 

zildjian75
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1261
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 15:07:53 (permalink)
bdary
As far as I'm concerned, there's a lot of speculation with a bit of fact sprinkled in going on here on both sides.  I like EVGA and I've enjoyed EVGA's/Unwinders software for several years.  Personally, this is between them and shouldn't be getting aired out like this without knowing ALL the facts which we don't, and probably never will.

Again, my 2 cents... 

That's a big +1.... But it sure is interesting to read!!!

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 15:21:37 (permalink)
gizmo88
I'm really disappointed in the lack of integrity with Evga on this one. This will affect my purchasing habits in the future. 

Yeah, I certainly don't get that "warm and fuzzy" feeling owning several EVGA products.
wanako
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 15:34:19 (permalink)
So essntially, this is all clickbait by Guru3D, and we're all eating it up. Nothing to see here, move along.

CPU: Intel i7 4970K 4.7 GHz OC | MB: MSI Z97M Gaming | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB 1600MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked | Sound: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Z
SSD: 1x Crucial M550 256GB M.2., 2x Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB | PSU: Corsair AX750 | Case: Silverstone Sugo SG-10

vsg28
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 611
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 16:03:29 (permalink)
wanako
So essntially, this is all clickbait by Guru3D, and we're all eating it up. Nothing to see here, move along.

Yes, pretty much it. The only winner coming out of this seems to be the guys who published this as a news article without consulting EVGA or Unwinder. What a surprise!
maskedmenace
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 16:29:44 (permalink)
SilentRecoil

Ragin did, who belongs here as well.

The issue was never that Precision hasn't grown -- It clearly has. The issue is that the base code was clearly copied and was proven to have been a copy on Guru3d multiple times.

EVGA copied intellectual property that they had no right to copy in the first place and then built upon that property.

Unwinder can't sue - He's a Russian citizen operating in Russia -- This was never really about a lawsuit, this was about EVGA, blatantly stealing code, claiming it was their own and marketing it as such when it never actually was. 

Yes, pretty much it. The only winner coming out of this seems to be the guys who published this as a news article without consulting EVGA or Unwinder. What a surprise!

Further, this is incorrect because Guru3d published the article and Unwinder exists pretty much on Guru3d exclusively so...Yeah.
post edited by maskedmenace - 2014/07/17 16:31:01

Return of the Sith
Case-Labs STH10 Custom, Asus RIVE, Intel 3930k Oc'd 5.0ghz, Corsair Dominator 4x4 2133C9, 3x 780 Lightnings Tri-SLI, 2x Corsair AX1200i, 2x Intel Cherryville 240gb SSD's, 2x Caviar Black 1tb, 100% water ~ Heatkiller cooled.
tsunami231
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 17:03:28 (permalink)
EVGA and people here are just amazing, EVGA stole code and few other things from ALEX and wont admit it, That and it the idiots here thay started the problem with ALEX not wanting to have RTSS in precision x with lies that are still spread around here.

Fact is 90% people probably been use what ALEX made  RTSS for almost a decade. yet  people here repay him by spreading lies.

Precision X 15 is still inferior to AB and RTSS and they using his code, and what makes it real sad they couldnt even steal it and make it the same functionality and features etc etc.
I wont touch Precision X 15 if it wasnt for evga GPU/Warranty service they never see dime from again.

BUT keep lying EVGA along with the idiots here that started this issue with there lies. to steal from  programer/developer that  it worst thing company can do.
post edited by tsunami231 - 2014/07/17 17:05:34

ragingcain
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 207
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 17:21:27 (permalink)
Hey all, my binary analysis has made it's way over here.

I just want to state that disassembly/decompilation is not an exact science so I did go by other factors such as the size of the program and the potential for simple function call renames.  I can not replicate Unwinder's claims.  If someone else can please step up.

I also want to point out that Unwinder has stated they have never had the source code.

SO, is settings user interface copied? Yes, but that can be done easily in Visual Studio.  Maybe not functional but to replicate visually yes.

Does Alex/Unwinder deserve credit for his 17 years of Riva work? Absolutely and overclockers are borderline dependent on his work and will continue to be. I, myself, am an Afterburner user.

Here is the binary analysis:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1502290/guru3d-did-evga-just-steal-the-rivatuner-rtss-design-concept/200_50#post_22580588

Here is the hook analysis:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1502290/guru3d-did-evga-just-steal-the-rivatuner-rtss-design-concept/250_50#post_22581088

You can make up your own opinions, but I personally think RTSS was EVGAs model or guideline for Precision X 15, and EVGA PR/Marketing got away with themselves (foot in mouth), and that was way overblown on Guru3D.

Also note those analysis' are of build 17, where the EULA was fixed.  I realize I am in complete violation of the new EULA, I do apologize to EVGA and have taken steps to destroy all data other than the non-consequential data in my analysis.

I believe that EVGA has replicated functionality of RTSS without using its source code.  I think we all should take a deep breath and join in arms against the real threat: console peasants.

post edited by ragingcain - 2014/07/17 17:29:59

My development website: BYTE Me Dev

[i7 4970K @ 4.7GHz]
[G.Skill 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz]
[EVGA Geforce GTX 780 TI SuperClock SLI]
[Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark S]
[Crucial MX100 256GB]
[4x 1TB Seagate 7200.13 RAID-0]
[2x 1.5TB Seagate 5400 JBOD]
boulard83
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 17:48:51 (permalink)
ragingcain

I just want to state that disassembly/decompilation is not an exact science so I did go by other factors such as the size of the program and the potential for simple function call renames.  I can not replicate Unwinder's claims.  If someone else can please step up.

I also want to point out that Unwinder has stated they have never had the source code.

SO, is settings user interface copied? Yes, but that can be done easily in Visual Studio.  Maybe not functional but to replicate visually yes.

Does Alex/Unwinder deserve credit for his 17 years of Riva work? Absolutely and overclockers are borderline dependent on his work and will continue to be. I, myself, am an Afterburner user.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1502290/guru3d-did-evga-just-steal-the-rivatuner-rtss-design-concept/200_50#post_22580588

http://www.overclock.net/t/1502290/guru3d-did-evga-just-steal-the-rivatuner-rtss-design-concept/250_50#post_22581088

You can make up your own opinions, but I personally think RTSS was EVGAs model or guideline for Precision X 15, and EVGA PR/Marketing got away with themselves (foot in mouth), and that was way overblown on Guru3D.

Also note those analysis' are of build 17, where the EULA was fixed.  I realize I am in complete violation of the new EULA, I do apologize to EVGA and have taken steps to destroy all data other than the non-consequential data in my analysis.

I believe that EVGA has replicated functionality of RTSS without using its source code.  I think we all should take a deep breath and join in arms against the real threat: console peasants.

goodpost !

BTTB • Gigabyte Z87X-OC • WCed I7 4770k • 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz • Zotac GTX 780
Asus Xonar Pheobus • OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb • Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
Corsair HX850 • Tecnofront HWD BenchTable • Asus VE278Q 5760x1080
Serveur • Asus Z77m PRO • 2500K • NH-C12P • 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz 
Agility 4 128gb • Corsair CX430M • 1TB Black • 2TB green • 2TB Red
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 18:22:15 (permalink)
maskedmenace
Per Unwinder:

Hope those are my last comments on this story. First, there are different rumors walking on the net related to the product licensing terms. Some people are trying to justify copying from the previous versions, so I’d like to clarify that to prevent any misunderstanding:

The agreement defines the following intellectual property ownership terms: software product which I develop remains my copyrighted property, but during the contract the company receives exclusive distribution rights on it. Besides exclusive software distribution rights the company exclusively owns all the rest intellectual property, which is not directly related to software and which I could create during the contract: i.e. product name, product logos, artwork. That’s all. There are absolutely no ways to fit any form of previous software copy-pasting into the licensing model.

Second, I just decided to peek inside "in-house" application EXE. I'd better avoid doing so: even my original EXE string table is inside new executable as is. Including all the messages of original application, including all the messages of my proprietary USF skin compiler / decompiler built into original RivaTuner skinning engine, even including the references to original RivaTuner core libraries (RTTSH.dll). Even including the messages related to RivaTuner’s G15 LCD output module, which the company probably also tried to clone but couldn’t get working yet. Really, EVGA? 

Dear company PRs, take a fair advice and simply stop giving any public comments with fake excuses. I’m not going to start a legal action against the company, I’m not asking for ANY compensation. I just want to let my users know the truth, protect my software, my ideas and technologies and then forget our past partnership. Just keep your lips sealed and let this story die istelf. Do not beat the dead horse.

This really puts a solid end to the debacle.

It was copied. EVGA failed to give him credit...It is what it is.

So in a nut shell, what Brad said above...

And this proves my point exactly. I was as spot on.

theGryphon
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4069
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 19:58:35 (permalink)
This is terrible, terrible PR for EVGA. I have no idea what they were/are thinking...

Now though, everybody should get their facts straight:
  1. Both EVGA and Unwinder said that EVGA does not have the source code for Rivatuner or even Precision X (pre-15). So, there is no copy-pasting involved.
  2. Both EVGA and Unwinder said that EVGA developed/prepared the graphics for the Precision UI (the graphical UI that you see as the software launches).
  3. It is clear, however, that EVGA did not develop the UI for the settings window (the tabbed window that pops up as you click on the gear icon).

So, it's clear to me that the last item is where EVGA screwed up. I don't know whose idea it was to use the same interface in the Settings window but Jacob is clearly stating that it was a conscious decision, rather than an oversight, or laziness. Bad call, is all I can say. I mean, EVGA, seriously, you're coming up with a new version of your popular software, claiming 100% in-house development, and consciously reproducing/replicating the UI of the previous version, which was not developed by you. I don't know at what level this decision was made but it could not be more short-sighted, and void of respect to intellectual property.

The other bits like using the same programming references, and the same EULA are, I believe, just programmer laziness, which just digs a deeper hole for EVGA. The programmer is at fault, of course, but also the manager(s) who overlooked this important bit.

Should anyone get fired? No.
But they should get a good pulling in the ear. This is nothing short of a PR scandal.

The only way I see a dignified way out of this for EVGA is
  1. Remove the software from distribution, ASAP.
  2. Instead of making haphazard official statements, publish a formal and straight apology to Unwinder and the community for the unacceptable similarities in software interface, and programming blunders.
  3. Work on the software to remove said blunders and redesign the UI elements so it actually supports EVGA's 100% in-house development claim.

Just my 2 cents...

Rgallant
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 605
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 20:52:28 (permalink)
ragingcain

just asking your option
how many man years would it take to build the software you tested from nothing ,+ new features added ? no copy of RT being used,doing all the hardware testing on all the gpu's to get the data base for overclocking ,bios's  new code does not know what a 780 is so a data base needs to be built for every card and combo's ,plus everything else ?

if the data base was not taken from RT. I think big bucks, so why would evga not just throw alex a programing man year$$$ for the work  he did before on RT 's data base then go forward ,
-if true evga didn't end up getting new features in the past did they offer $$ ? and if big bucks where turned down ,and so that it was cheaper to make their own program with new code + a new data base- seems unlikely imo
post edited by Rgallant - 2014/07/17 21:40:54

3770k [KL370]|| 3xMCR320[basement] || ek bay res|| 655x2 ek-tops || 9xSFF21F || Vl4n
MVF WC || Evga GTX 780 sc 941 sli EK block,s
Sam 256gb 840 Pro|| HAF 932 || 8 gb Tridents 2400
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 21:42:03 (permalink)
EVGA's reputation with me has been significantly degraded over the years because of poor decisions (at least I thought they were), like ending the lifetime warranty, not honoring longtime customer's RMA's because of small scratches on motherboards... However, this one really tops them all. I never really liked Unwinder, from his forum postings and lack of being able to accept negative feedback, but this time I agree that EVGA was in the wrong. They are just lucky that Unwinder stated he won't pursue legal action. I'm sure EVGA would have lost in this situation.  
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/18 05:49:36 (permalink)
This thread needs to be locked. EVGA gave it's official statement and now this thread has just become a slander fest.

EVGA_JacobF
Here is the official EVGA statement:

First, we value the relationship that we have with RivaTuner Alex/Unwinder since Feb.13th, 2008. With EVGA and Alex/Unwinder mutual efforts, Precision has become a very popular overclocking utility since it launched. Afterburner’s first release was in Oct. 2009.

It was originally EVGA’s idea to provide the world’s first “simple” overclocking GUI designed for NVIDIA cards that utilizes some of the Rivatuner technology for free. Due to some misinformation floating around about EVGA Precision recently, we would like to clarify several points. Also, EVGA wouldn’t have any interest to develop our own version if Alex/Unwinder had showed his interest back then like we’ve seen today!

1. The EVGA Precision main GUI (main Window) and format was fully designed and owned by EVGA, that means Alex/Unwinder did not design the Precision GUI at all. The Rivatuner technology was used for the backend like GPU reporting, OSD and overclocking. Other features like voltage tuning, pixel clock control and Bluetooth function were coded by EVGA. We want it to be clear that Rivatuner source code has never been released to EVGA. A year and half after Precision was introduced, Afterburner was released, that shared a lot of the same ideas and concepts originally set by EVGA’s Precision, and also used Rivatuner technology.
2. Most gamers knew that some of the key features that have been requested and missed such as 64bit OSD, voltage control and video recording in the early versions of Precision, yet Afterburner had it. You probably don’t know that some of those ideas were initiated and requested to Alex/Unwinder by EVGA to implement into Precision well before it was available in Afterburner, but Alex/Unwinder had no intention to add it. One year later they showed up in Afterburner exclusively without any notification and/or offer to EVGA. We felt that we became Alex/Unwinder and Afterburner’s free consultant if we continue this route.

We like Precision, the interface and the features, just like most of the gamers in the community, but under these circumstances, it became clear that in order to provide more features that are requested by the community, we needed to recode the back end from the ground up, using our own existing Precision skin designed as merely inspiration, that is why today we have the new EVGA PrecisionX 15. In the latest PrecisionX 15 we have put in some features like 64bit OSD support, Steam achievements and more. We want to make it clear that EVGA PrecisionX 15 is 100% coded in house without using any code from the older Precision due to we don’t have the source code since day one!

EVGA will continue adding features to support the community on PrecisionX15 for free as usual, and hope to inspire other overclocking utilities to be better for the entire gaming community.

The bottom line is that EVGA doesn’t want any third party to dictate what features the community should or should not have!

EVGA

post edited by kram36 - 2014/07/18 05:51:00
ragingcain
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 207
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/18 06:31:19 (permalink)
I have done another analysis since Unwinder was kind enough to explain what to look for.  After all, I am combing through garbage essentially.  Since I have no source code, nor any development on either application, my original analysis was correct, I simply did not see any correlation.  I tried really hard to find commonality, but I was looking in the dark without even a flash light.

However, since Unwinder gave me a place to look at it, i.e. evidence, I was happy to also look at it.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1502290/guru3d-did-evga-just-steal-the-rivatuner-rtss-design-concept/300_50#post_22583571

There is work that Unwinder has done that is in PrecisionX.  That being said, Unwinder himself stated that EVGA did not have source code.

I feel it warrants some explanation from EVGA, even if it is 99.9999% developed in house, it wasn't all EVGAs IP to use.

My development website: BYTE Me Dev

[i7 4970K @ 4.7GHz]
[G.Skill 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz]
[EVGA Geforce GTX 780 TI SuperClock SLI]
[Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark S]
[Crucial MX100 256GB]
[4x 1TB Seagate 7200.13 RAID-0]
[2x 1.5TB Seagate 5400 JBOD]
mack-attack
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/18 07:23:37 (permalink)
cain rage or whatever your name is... You need to leave. This is not acceptable.

~~Imperial Stormtrooper Build V2~~
Case=Corsair 780T White MOBO=Asus X99 deluxe CPU=intel 5820k CPU Cooling=Corsair H100 Ram= Crucial Ballistix sport 4GBx4 Total 16GB GPU1=Nvidia 970 SSD= Samsung 840 EVO 500GB HDD= Toshiba 1 tb Soundcard= Soundblaster Z Powersupply=EVGA 850 G2 Monitor= X-star 1440p  KeyBoard= Logitech G510 Mouse= Logitech G300 Speakers=Logitech 5.1 Headphone=JVC HARX700 OS=win7 Ultimate
maskedmenace
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/18 09:26:20 (permalink)

mack-attack
cain rage or whatever your name is... You need to leave. This is not acceptable.

I fail to understand what isn't acceptable.

Unwinder's source code was essentially copied and those whom copied it failed to not only alter it but, failed to even get it to function via reverse engineering.

That's like you baking a cake. My stealing your cake and icing it, then giving it back to you for your birthday. Only it's gross and disgusting because I tried to re-bake it.

It was YOUR cake. It was UNWINDER'S PROPERTY. 
post edited by maskedmenace - 2014/07/18 09:30:15

Return of the Sith
Case-Labs STH10 Custom, Asus RIVE, Intel 3930k Oc'd 5.0ghz, Corsair Dominator 4x4 2133C9, 3x 780 Lightnings Tri-SLI, 2x Corsair AX1200i, 2x Intel Cherryville 240gb SSD's, 2x Caviar Black 1tb, 100% water ~ Heatkiller cooled.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile