EVGA

Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores = Good?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/19 21:46:01 (permalink)

brownsfan70
can't upload pics...

damn... nothing is working! d'oh!

brownsfan70
here's a quick pic of the rig (don't laugh). ok laugh. hehe 

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10053
  • Ribbons : 165
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/19 21:46:39 (permalink)
brownsfan70
can't upload pics...

I showed him how... pics incoming

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/19 21:47:35 (permalink)
maniacvvv
brownsfan70
can't upload pics...

I showed him how... pics incoming

LOL. Ok.       

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Deltic55007
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/21 06:46:11 (permalink)
brownsfan70
David20player
What does your video card boost clock to when your gaming or running a benchmark? You can use EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner and check to see where your card will boost to. My card will boost to 1150 MHz automatically.

Without knowing what your boost speeds are in this benchmark, I would say that your scores are good. You will notice that I'm using exactly the same settings as you in Heaven.

hey, thanks for the reply!

yeah, i looked once real quick and noticed it was boosting to about 1/4th the way over the 1200 mark. it kinda freaked me out because i'm not sure how many mhz i can add to both the core clock and memory speeds.

also, before i realized i could adjust the fan speed (don't laugh LOL) i touched the front of the video card and then also the top of it just to the left of where the GEFORCE LED is, and it was BLAZING HOT! i was like daaaaaamn!? is it supposed to run that hot??! that was scary... it was so hot i couldn't keep my finger on it for even 1 second. the cards temp was at 82c, and i was running about 3 or 4 continuous loops of valley. not sure if that is normal or too hot, but it makes me want to keep that fan running fast. i hope heavy/demanding games don't heat the card up like heaven and valley does.

That sounds just right (82c). I got my first GTX 690 in November 2012 and when running Valley benchmark it would hit 81c and the backplate was too hot to touch. When I watercooled it the temps went down to about 47c tops but when I touched the backplate it was barely warm. When you buy a high end piece of gear like this you really HAVE to watercool it.
brownsfan70
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/21 08:40:13 (permalink)
Deltic55007
brownsfan70
David20player
What does your video card boost clock to when your gaming or running a benchmark? You can use EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner and check to see where your card will boost to. My card will boost to 1150 MHz automatically.

Without knowing what your boost speeds are in this benchmark, I would say that your scores are good. You will notice that I'm using exactly the same settings as you in Heaven.

hey, thanks for the reply!

yeah, i looked once real quick and noticed it was boosting to about 1/4th the way over the 1200 mark. it kinda freaked me out because i'm not sure how many mhz i can add to both the core clock and memory speeds.

also, before i realized i could adjust the fan speed (don't laugh LOL) i touched the front of the video card and then also the top of it just to the left of where the GEFORCE LED is, and it was BLAZING HOT! i was like daaaaaamn!? is it supposed to run that hot??! that was scary... it was so hot i couldn't keep my finger on it for even 1 second. the cards temp was at 82c, and i was running about 3 or 4 continuous loops of valley. not sure if that is normal or too hot, but it makes me want to keep that fan running fast. i hope heavy/demanding games don't heat the card up like heaven and valley does.

That sounds just right (82c). I got my first GTX 690 in November 2012 and when running Valley benchmark it would hit 81c and the backplate was too hot to touch. When I watercooled it the temps went down to about 47c tops but when I touched the backplate it was barely warm. When you buy a high end piece of gear like this you really HAVE to watercool it.

hey thanks for the reply, deltic. i was worried about the heat of the card just like you were, but there's no way i'm going to try and watercool this thing. i have a broken back and i can;t stand up or work too long. it would just simply be too much of a tast for me.

sucks, i always wanted to try watercooling. that water cooling in your rig is some bada$$ sh!z right there. very nice! and the watercooled rgs on these and other forums are killer as well!
Deltic55007
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/21 09:22:27 (permalink)
And I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you into watercooling. I got the FC690 block and backplate New Other off ebay for just £10.50 - the guy bought it and backed out of installing it in case it damaged his card. In the event it took 5 HOURS to install! One guy on another forum said he "bricked" his brand new 690, totally as in "shiny doorstop". But when I saw those 81c temps I was terrified what effect they would have long term and of course it was dumping a lot of heat inside my case. I may go to a Titan Black next but I will wait to see benchmarks first.
brownsfan70
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/21 10:03:46 (permalink)
Deltic55007
And I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you into watercooling. I got the FC690 block and backplate New Other off ebay for just £10.50 - the guy bought it and backed out of installing it in case it damaged his card. In the event it took 5 HOURS to install! One guy on another forum said he "bricked" his brand new 690, totally as in "shiny doorstop". But when I saw those 81c temps I was terrified what effect they would have long term and of course it was dumping a lot of heat inside my case. I may go to a Titan Black next but I will wait to see benchmarks first.

and that's the other reason, the reason you stated. i just got this card so i don't want to screw with it for a while. maybe in a year or so and if my back gets better i'll give it a shot. 

if i hadn't injured my back a few years ago i would definitely be doing water cooling by now. pc related stuff, including building about 10 different rigs from 2000-2008 or so, was my becoming my hobby. but damn... everything is so different now, it's like learning everything from scratch. 

i just built an i3 4340 internet/multimedia build with a ecs h87 motherboard a few weeks ago in a fractal arc mini r2 case and it was 1,000 times easier than all this mess. LOL

ps - titan black runs hot as FAK! think long and hard if you want to deal with it, it's a very finicky card to say the least. i love the speed, but i'm starting to wish i had went with something else. it's just too much trouble for a $1,000 card. i'm still screwing with it right now and i have a feeling i'm never going to be able to just set it at one setting and roll with it - not fun!
post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/21 10:47:20
IMPORTEKNIKAICR
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 208
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/21 19:31:36 (permalink)
brownsfan70
Deltic55007

and that's the other reason, the reason you stated. i just got this card so i don't want to screw with it for a while. maybe in a year or so and if my back gets better i'll give it a shot. 

if i hadn't injured my back a few years ago i would definitely be doing water cooling by now. pc related stuff, including building about 10 different rigs from 2000-2008 or so, was my becoming my hobby. but damn... everything is so different now, it's like learning everything from scratch. 

i just built an i3 4340 internet/multimedia build with a ecs h87 motherboard a few weeks ago in a fractal arc mini r2 case and it was 1,000 times easier than all this mess. LOL

ps - titan black runs hot as FAK! think long and hard if you want to deal with it, it's a very finicky card to say the least. i love the speed, but i'm starting to wish i had went with something else. it's just too much trouble for a $1,000 card. i'm still screwing with it right now and i have a feeling i'm never going to be able to just set it at one setting and roll with it - not fun!

Dude.  I thought you and "maniacvvv" had all of the temps and fan curves straightened out?

CPU: Intel i7-5930K | Corsair H115i Platinum | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 X99 | RAM: 128GB Corsair Dominator Platinum GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N | DISPLAY: 3x LG 4K 32" | CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos C700M | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1600 T2

FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/21 20:59:14 (permalink)
Dude. I thought you and "maniacvvv" had all of the temps and fan curves straightened out?

I thought so to

post edited by AWK16 - 2014/04/21 21:21:53
brownsfan70
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 05:20:23 (permalink)
IMPORTEKNIKAICR
brownsfan70
Deltic55007

Dude.  I thought you and "maniacvvv" had all of the temps and fan curves straightened out?

well... he did fix it, and it was running at about 66C-68C at a really nice quiet fan speed on heaven 4.0 loop for about 6-8 times in a row. so i thought "great, it's fixed!" and it was, BUT after that i powered the system down for the night and went to bed. i woke up the next morning walked downstairs and and turned on my rig and it went back to doing the exact same thing it had been doing before he helped me get it straightened out and no settings had been changed at all, nothing.

fan speed shot up to 88%-90% again and it was running at 75C-78C and this was in the cool of the morning - like 60 something degrees outside with the dining room window open right next to the rig. so idk what to think. but maniacvvv definitely helped me out and he definitely knows what he's doing, i have no question about that. straight up cool and very, very helpful. dude is a live saver!

so i'm guessing either i need to do the microsoft updates and update precision x, to get it to run correctly when i finally get this thing hooked up to the internet, or there is something wrong with the card itself. it's definitely not the case or airflow. it was actually getting matching temps, that were better both open and closed, when it was warm in the room while maniac was helping me than when it was both open and closed the next morning with very cool air coming in the window.

also, i just checked delivery time for my pc stand and it is on the truck and in delivery right now, it should be here by tonight. so when i get it set up, the rig is going upstairs and i'll hook everything up and do all my m$ updates and try again. hopefully that will resolve the problems.

if the card will run like it was when maniac walked me through the settings to get it to run nice and quiet with temps in the 66C-68C range, everything is cool. but if not, IDK maybe he can help me again to try and figure out why it reverted back to being out of whack just from booting up the next morning. i had changed absolutely nothing and it was suddenly doing the same thing before he helpe me the night before.

i really love this card because i can tell its an absolute beast, but the quirkiness with it or the precision software is starting to get annoying and is straight stressing me out as well. idk, maybe i'll try afterburner if precision x doesn't work out, we'll see. i sure hope i can get this settled and running without a hitch because this is my dream card!
post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/22 05:23:38
FTW Member
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 08:14:42 (permalink)
In a few minutes i will post my score with heaven 4 using 1 TB SC and both in sli  using cheep  stock 3770k as I'm RMa-ing my main CPU, so this is on different case and mobo. Everything air cool and boost up to 1198MHz all stock with no Precision x installed,no treadling at all but excellent cooling with Gelid fans running at 75% speed, very quiet , single and both cards never reach 67C, ambient temp 70-73F. I think you guys  don't have good air circulation in your case.
FTW Member
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 09:03:11 (permalink)
This is 1 card no precision installed and looking at hw64 frame rate only dropped from 1198 to 1179MHzand temp stayed at 67C

both cards

The scores might not be better, but both cards run cool and FR are at 1179MHz constant.
I will never run anything under water, my 4960X and Rog black got flooded. You know what they say" its pretty safe" well i was not the lucky 1 so no thanks.
I rarely game, so OC its not something i care about, but going back to temps, now those 2 cards run on P8Z77 V-deluxe with 3770k that is way weaker than my Main CPU and all this is in Storm Stryker with all Gelid Fans, that during testing where running 75% and where truly quiet, i cant complain.
My point is, that with good air cooling your cards shouldn't run that hot specially using Precision and fan curve.

post edited by AWK16 - 2014/04/22 09:16:56

Attached Image(s)

brownsfan70
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 10:43:27 (permalink)
AWK16
In a few minutes i will post my score with heaven 4 using 1 TB SC and both in sli  using cheep  stock 3770k as I'm RMa-ing my main CPU, so this is on different case and mobo. Everything air cool and boost up to 1198MHz all stock with no Precision x installed,no treadling at all but excellent cooling with Gelid fans running at 75% speed, very quiet , single and both cards never reach 67C, ambient temp 70-73F. I think you guys  don't have good air circulation in your case.

lol dude... everyone... enough with "the case isn't cool enough" stuff. that is ridiculous.  it's plenty cool. trust me when i say it's cool enough, i'm standing right in front of it when i'm running these benchmarks so i know if it's getting enough airflow. i have built about 10 gaming pc's from 2001-2009-ish and have helped 5-6 of my friends build 1-4 pc's, when they built their rigs, for a total of about 20 or so. i know when a case is too hot or if it's not getting enough airflow.

as i stated before, there is no difference between the temps when the case is wide open and almost like test bench with all the panels off, and when it is completely closed. the top of the case does not have a plastic window, it has a mesh screen. it's plenty cool in there.

when it was closed up and also when it was opened up maniac had me set up precision to get a nice low 66C-67C (full load heaven 4.0 on continuous loop 6-8 times) with a nice very low fan speed and very low noise. and it was very warm in the room when he helped me do this as the heater was on. so these temps have nothing to do with ambient room temperature or airflow in the case.

also the cpu was running at stock 3.2, but it gives off virtually no heat even when overclocked to 4.2ghz because that noctua cooler is just flat out awesome. so that is completely ruled out.

the cases airflow is fine. if it weren't fine i would not have been able to get 66C-67C while the room was actually kinda hot while maniac was helping me get those numbers.

the morning after i had those numbers, i woke up, walked down stairs, powered on the pc, precision x started with windows at the saved fan speed curve he had helped me set the night before, it was there and ready to go. the window in the room was open and it was like 68F outside, it was very, very cool. there was also a nice breeze was blowing into the room 3 feet away from my case. the whole room was very cool. i ran heaven 4.0 and suddenly, for whatever reason, the fan speed was at 88%-90% again and the temps were 75C-78C

after i saw this i screwed with the fan curve for an hour or two and the lowest i could get it was like 75% fan speed and 71C-75C. and really i don't care if it runs at 71C, i just want the fan to stay at an acceptable noise level, which too me is around 65%-75% fan speed. i can live with that.

let's just wait and see what happens after i get everything set up properly with all my windows updates and run a game or two for a couple hours. i have a feeling that games won't make the card run nearly as hot or loud as heaven 4.0 does. 
post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/22 10:45:49
Deltic55007
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 11:22:57 (permalink)
AWK16
This is 1 card no precision installed and looking at hw64 frame rate only dropped from 1198 to 1179MHzand temp stayed at 67C

both cards

The scores might not be better, but both cards run cool and FR are at 1179MHz constant.
I will never run anything under water, my 4960X and Rog black got flooded. You know what they say" its pretty safe" well i was not the lucky 1 so no thanks.
I rarely game, so OC its not something i care about, but going back to temps, now those 2 cards run on P8Z77 V-deluxe with 3770k that is way weaker than my Main CPU and all this is in Storm Stryker with all Gelid Fans, that during testing where running 75% and where truly quiet, i cant complain.
My point is, that with good air cooling your cards shouldn't run that hot specially using Precision and fan curve.

That's very useful info! At the moment I am running 2 x GTX 690's and was thinking about getting one or two Titan Blacks. However at the moment I get 109 FPS with the two cards so it would hardly be worth getting two TB's especially with the extra cost of watercooling them. I have pre ordered a Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor so I will see what results I get before making any decisions.
FTW Member
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 11:36:34 (permalink)
brownsfan70 sorry, i didn't mean to upset you, i guess when to many people have their opinions it's like beating dead horse, sorry again.
FTW Member
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 12:02:44 (permalink)
That's very useful info! At the moment I am running 2 x GTX 690's and was thinking about getting one or two Titan Blacks. However at the moment I get 109 FPS with the two cards so it would hardly be worth getting two TB's especially with the extra cost of water cooling them. I have pre ordered a Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor so I will see what results I get before making any decisions.

2 690's..... you have very good cards, and to be honest, don't get me wrong TB are nice cards, but you won't see much gain, not for the extra money, unless you aiming for g-sync, i would invest in something else, something with noticeable return/gain in performance, but that's only my opinion.

post edited by AWK16 - 2014/04/22 12:16:01
Kuhne
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 12:18:31 (permalink)
Hey guys, thanks for the info with the benchmarks, I've been looking for info regarding the titan black. I'm currently building a rig around a mini tower case I really like and this setup only fits one card (not a big sli fan anyway) so i spoiled myself like the techie I am and bought myself a superclocked titan black signature. The case has good air circulation and I designed the layout so that there is enough intake and exhaust, I also bought an acx cooler and a backplate for the card.

The specs are i7 4770k, 16gb g.skills and 2 ssd's set up in raid 0.

I expect great numbers from this little beast but my concerns are only two and I hope you can help me out.

What's the most I can expect overclocking the titan black sc? I know it has locked voltage and I won't flash another bios for at least a year, so at stock configuration, what's the highest speed I can expect?

My second concern is that I already bought a 4k monitor for this rig and I would like to hear experiences from users here playing 4k games on single gpus. I've seen pretty much every benchmark online and I can give myself an idea but I would like real people experiences, for example I've heard you can get 60fps in bf4 with a single gtx 780ti as long as you lower the settings to medium, 40ps in high and 30fps in ultra. I want to know if 4k is awesome enough to play in medium and still look incredible, or is it better to just go lower res with better quality settings?

Thanks for everything guys, there's just not enough info out there about the superclocked titan black.

Anyways, mine should arrive in a couple of days, once my system is finished I'll be sure to show you guys some pics.
post edited by Kuhne - 2014/04/22 12:21:07
trabe3
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1203
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 12:42:04 (permalink)

That's very useful info! At the moment I am running 2 x GTX 690's and was thinking about getting one or two Titan Blacks. However at the moment I get 109 FPS with the two cards so it would hardly be worth getting two TB's especially with the extra cost of watercooling them. I have pre ordered a Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor so I will see what results I get before making any decisions.

Unfortunately the problem you will have with the 690's @ 4K is that even though they are technically 4Gb cards, it is split between each of the GPUs, so you really only effectively have 2Gb of VRAM.  While you may have the graphic horsepower, the RAM will most likely cause you issues.

System #1
ASUS RIV BE
4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
Corsair AX1200i
Windows 7 Pro
NZXT Switch 810
ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
3930K @ 4.4GHz
8Gb 1600Mhz
XFX R9 270X (for now)
Deltic55007
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/22 14:25:46 (permalink)
trabe3

Unfortunately the problem you will have with the 690's @ 4K is that even though they are technically 4Gb cards, it is split between each of the GPUs, so you really only effectively have 2Gb of VRAM.  While you may have the graphic horsepower, the RAM will most likely cause you issues.

Yes that worries me and was the reason I was thinking about going with a TB. However I will be getting the monitor from Amazon on 3rd May so I plan to see how it pans out in real life before I make any decision on cards.
Deltic55007
Re: Titan Black: SC Heaven 4.0 Scores. Bad, Average or Good? 2014/04/23 04:22:49 (permalink)
Kuhne
Hey guys, thanks for the info with the benchmarks, I've been looking for info regarding the titan black. I'm currently building a rig around a mini tower case I really like and this setup only fits one card (not a big sli fan anyway) so i spoiled myself like the techie I am and bought myself a superclocked titan black signature. The case has good air circulation and I designed the layout so that there is enough intake and exhaust, I also bought an acx cooler and a backplate for the card.

The specs are i7 4770k, 16gb g.skills and 2 ssd's set up in raid 0.

I expect great numbers from this little beast but my concerns are only two and I hope you can help me out.

What's the most I can expect overclocking the titan black sc? I know it has locked voltage and I won't flash another bios for at least a year, so at stock configuration, what's the highest speed I can expect?

My second concern is that I already bought a 4k monitor for this rig and I would like to hear experiences from users here playing 4k games on single gpus. I've seen pretty much every benchmark online and I can give myself an idea but I would like real people experiences, for example I've heard you can get 60fps in bf4 with a single gtx 780ti as long as you lower the settings to medium, 40ps in high and 30fps in ultra. I want to know if 4k is awesome enough to play in medium and still look incredible, or is it better to just go lower res with better quality settings?

Thanks for everything guys, there's just not enough info out there about the superclocked titan black.

Anyways, mine should arrive in a couple of days, once my system is finished I'll be sure to show you guys some pics.

Regarding the 4K monitor there is a 68 page thread on the Samsung 4K U28D590D monitor on overclock.net which may be some help.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile