I have a week old pc consisting of:
- Asus Maximus 6 Formula
- EKG watercooling
- Asus blu-ray writer
- Sychte flat fan-controller
- 16GB of Corsair Vengeance pro 2400mhz memory
- Intel i7 4770k
- Fortrom Aurum Pro 1000w psu
- 2x EVGA GTX 780Ti Hydro Copper Classified.
- 3x LG EA27" IPS 1080p monitors
- 1x Corsair SSD
- 1x WD 3Tb HDD
in a Corsair Air 540D

Computer worked great with the 335.23 Driver and The R331 that came with the Gpus.
- Updated to the Beta driver because of all the socalled improvements it would make.
* Everything seemed to work right.
- Exept for when i was trying to play Metro LL, the game freezez in the first chapter where you take a elevator upwards after gearing up.
After the freeze, the message i get while at the desktop is that the nvidia driver had to close and was recovered after an error.
- this happened 3times and i therefor thougt it would be a good idea to go back to one of the older drivers.
* Downloaded the driver packade 335.23 from geforce.com since i couldnt find a way to do it within gf-experience.
- Did a clean install like allways and tried to run a benchmark afterwards with unigine valley just to see it working.
Now the real problems begin (sorry for the long intro but i am really upset by all this)
* Unigine would not start, the drivers failed right when you could see the fps counter in the top right corner. (it was possible to configure surround and activate SLI in GF-Controlpanel).
* Tried to run opengl and dx 11 and 10. but none would run more than a fraction of a second.
- i eventually restarted the pc to se if it helpet, but no.
- tried different methods of reinstalling drivers.
* still same problem
- then after a few tries when i was rebooting after all nvidia drivers was uninstalled i could not get a picture up on my monitors. not even the ROG Post screen. The screens activates as the computer starts but nothing shows up, it then fades out to sleep and never changes. The motherboard throws an IDE idle code. A2
- Have tried everything, unplugging monitors and plugging them back in as pc was running.
- Changed outputs on the gpus.
* I got the screen back when i unplugged both cards and only ran from the motherboards gpu.
- tried to change a lot of settings in bios, such as pci lane speeds, hibernation behavior and deactivating windows safe-boot etc. but noen would work. every time i plug in the gpus the screens behave the same. nothing!
- i then tried to unplug only the top gpu. then i could get a picture. i then installed the geforce drivers.
- shut down the pc and plugged in the other card. pc then would not show post.
im getting frustradet by this and was really looking forward to maxing out all games.

Oh i almost forgot, i tried to reset cmos, rolled back the bios version since i updated it a few days ago. and did a clean install of windows on my ssd.

BTW: i got 47fps in unigine at best with 4x aa and 5840x1080 and ultra settings. is this normal?
and with metro:ll`s integrated benchmark i got as low as 7fps with physx on and 23 with it off everything maxed. is this also normal? with physx on the game is not playable. not even at lower settings.
Hope to hear a solution to my agony.
Best regards: Bjørnar B. @ Norway :)

12 Replies Related Threads

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/20 19:23:06 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA forums

Do you have the 4pin molex power connector (for the PCIE slots) supplement at very the bottom of your motherboard connected?
    If its NOT, then pull out your 24pin and check for melting or burning.

If it -is- connected, certainly sounds like your first GPU in the primary slot has failed
    --------------------

You did not post any details of your water cooling loop(s) for the CPU and GPU's
    What temps under load was the first card (that failed) showing?

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/20 19:25:17

Beddariboy89
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/20 23:11:44 (permalink)
    Thanx:)

ok so i cant find any 4pin "molex"? ecept for the ATX connector witch i didnt use, instead i used the 8pin atx connector according to the mb manual.
    and my atx connectors is at the very top-left of my mb.

Also had a look at my 24pin atx connector. absolutley no signs of burning or melting, has never been any smells either from the pc. nor smoke.

My loop is like this: Res-Pump-360mm rad-gpu2-gpu1-chipset-cpu-Res.
    - The Graphix hav never been hotter than 51deg celcius, and this in unigine valley benchmarking. the problem card have at most been 2deg hotter than the first.
    And the cards have never been OC-d because why...

i would have thought it shouldnt be possible to kill a card only by driver error.
    - is this covered by warranty then?

Bjørnar.B
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/20 23:21:28 (permalink)
    Read your manual

At the very bottom left hand corner of the MB is a 4pin MOLEX connector
    This is there specifically to provide correct power to your videocards and to protect your MB traces and 24pin

You MUST connect this

Attached Image(s)

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/20 23:35:39 (permalink)
    When testing, disconnect ALL monitors completely from the videocards
    Use ONLY one cable attached to the primary GPU (top slot) and ONE monitor (nothing else)

From your description it is difficult to tell what happened
     Have you checked that the top card is properly seated and that its not twisting because of hose connections?
    Got another SLI bridge.. try it as well

You could have PCIE slot failure or the card in question might have died.... hard to tell

Just what OS version are you using?

As for pumping 53c water over your 4770k CPU..... 

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/20 23:48:21

Beddariboy89
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/21 03:50:27 (permalink)
    ok atleast now i got bootscreen.
    - i repositioned the gpus, changed place on them. and put the working card in the top slot.
    - now when windows boots up the screen goes black, then after restart i get the recovery function.
    - also tried to switch to the alternative bios on the cards, still same problem.
    - in device manager it states after installing drivers that the pc needs a restart. tried to roll back the drivers, nothing. then updated it again via the same process. then all of the screens go black.
    - in bios the speeds ar set to 8x as usual.
    - windows states that it could not load the drivers for the second gpu. (the basic display adapter driver)
    - freezes if i try to activate it in device manager

So obviously the pci is okay from what i can see.
    - plugged in the ekstra power supply molex cable. looked in the manual, it did not state anywhere that it was needed. and from what i have seen on the web it only applies to mb with 20 plug main connector?
    - im really stoked that the manual dosent state the use of this, not even in the "building your system" section. it only refers to as EZ-plug and never explains or encourage the use of it.

when the problem started i had win8.1 now im back to win8.
    only got one bridge.
    53c was at benchmarking. you think i should have configured it differently? never seen the cpu over 70c using intel burn.

B.B
    post edited by Beddariboy89 - 2014/04/21 04:13:47
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102241
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/21 04:23:16 (permalink)
    I know this is a pain but is there anyway to try only one card at a time in the top slot?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Beddariboy89
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/21 04:30:42 (permalink)
    Its been tried. Works on one of the cards. The other never ouputs and wont be ok in device manager
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102241
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/21 04:42:21 (permalink)
    Beddariboy89
    Its been tried. Works on one of the cards. The other never ouputs and wont be ok in device manager

OK so if you place one card at a time in the primary slot one card will work and the other doesn't. Is that correct?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Beddariboy89
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/21 04:53:58 (permalink)
    Totally correct:) same happens in the secondary pci slot
    Beddariboy89
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/21 21:17:22 (permalink)
    Im thinking the card got bricked by the drivers. Am i thinking wrong? It had worked flawlessly untill that point.
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/21 21:27:53 (permalink)
    Well since the card does not work in both slots, but the other one does....
    It appears its time to contact EVGA support for a possible RMA. The card appears dead.

*have you verified that the BIOS switch (on videocard) is in the correct matching position as the working card? reset it in case it got bumped.
    You made NO changes (BIOS edits) and never flashed or attempted to flash ANY BIOS's onto the cards correct?

**Nvidia display drivers cannot technically "brick" a card, only BIOS issues or hardware failure.

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/21 21:42:13

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Blank screen from post after driver issues. week old system 2014/04/21 22:04:37 (permalink)
    Beddariboy89
    Im thinking the card got bricked by the drivers. Am i thinking wrong? It had worked flawlessly untill that point.

The drivers will not brick the card.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile