EVGA

GTX500 dying?

Author
Requimatic
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/04/18 23:19:22 (permalink)
So I've been having some trouble recently; video-related trouble mostly.

Few days ago I had Team Fortress 2 crash a couple times. Didn't think much of it, and it didn't happen afterwards. Today, though, there was a 6MB update to the game that added some cosmetic items.. so they didn't change much, if anything, as far as the game's engine goes.

After a bit of playing, though, the game crashed, which produced an event viewer log, claiming that ntdll.dll was the faulting module. After that point, the game would instantly crash when connecting to a server. (You're presented with this "Welcome to Team Fortress 2" screen that you click through, then go on with your match)

As soon as that "welcome" screen appeared, the game would crash. After a bunch of frustrating attempts, I updated the drivers to the newest version. Enabled RGB full range, as my monitor supports it (the difference is amazing), and restarted. Everything was fine. Then about 10 minutes in to another game, suddenly the video card quit rendering things properly. I still had audio in the game, but I couldn't see anything. I could see what was behind the game, which was a few other programs.

I closed the game, and went to go open a new tab in Firefox to discover.. that it was froze. Nothing in the tabs was rendering (blank white page), which ultimately caused it to freeze. End-tasked, reopened, same thing. So I rolled back the drivers to a much earlier version, and so far I've had no stability issues, except.. low FPS in TF2 now. I can usually sustain over 220 FPS, but it was dropping down in to the 50 range during this match, which is highly unusual for my PC. (Even on a map with a full 32 players, I've always managed to sustain over 200 FPS.)

So that brings me to posting here. I've had this video card for a long time, and have gotten great use out of it, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was on its way out. Is that what it sounds like to the rest of you? I'd hate for that to be the case, as I'm currently in a sticky situation money-wise right now, but it starting to fail is all I can think of for games to suddenly start crashing and having issues when they weren't mere days ago, with no change in hardware, software, or software settings.

Thanks for the input!

Edit: I haven't taken it out and reseated it in a long time; that could be the problem. Also, it's been kept clean, and temperatures aren't exceeding 70c. :)
post edited by Requimatic - 2014/04/18 23:23:14

8 Replies Related Threads

Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: GTX500 dying? 2014/04/19 07:31:25 (permalink)
    What are your complete system specs?

Requimatic
    Re: GTX500 dying? 2014/04/19 12:58:01 (permalink)
    Sorry, I've been busy trying to determine what's going on with this for a few hours now and forgot to check this thread. Specs are as follows:

MB: EVGA X58 FTW3
    CPU: Intel Corei7 950
    RAM: G.Skill 6GB (3x2GB)
    GPU: EVGA GTX570 (I had to RMA my original card from you guys, and am currently using the one sent to me)
    PSU: Unsure of the brand just this minute, but it's a modular 750?w.

A little while ago I actually had a BSOD while gaming, rather than just having the game crash on me. The entry from the event viewer reads:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000109 (0xa3a039d89b9b8899, 0xb3b7465eee1857ef, 0xfffff80002f3db76, 0x0000000000000001). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 041914-13244-01.

All Google searching for a similar BSOD leads to these possible choices:

1. Driver issue. (Not sure this is it, as the version of the drivers I was using I had been using for months without issue. I even updated them to the latest version to be sure, and still experienced problems. Then rolled back to a version earlier than my original driver, and that didn't help either. Currently using the original version, 331.65. There had been no other software changes (or Windows updates) prior to this starting, and no hardware changes either.)

2. Hardware issue (GPU, RAM, possibly PSU or motherboard). (I've had to RMA both one of my sticks of RAM in the past, and this GPU. I know my hardware is getting old, so it wouldn't surprise me if a component was on its way out. It's all had very heavy use since this build was completed, so I have nothing but good things to say about all of it.)

HotRodPolk
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2518
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: GTX500 dying? 2014/04/19 13:49:06 (permalink)
    Rolling back is your problem. Do a custom, clean install of whatever driver you want to use. That way it's fresh, not stacked. For what it's worth, the latest driver (337.50), although it makes NFS Rivals playable on my old rig, has some stability issues on win 8.1 64 bit. Game freezes 2-3 times in a 4 hour session, IE video freezing with audio continuing.
    Some are saying it's been since the changes the latest windows update made, though not sure about 7, haven't updated those lately...

Gigabyte Z590 Vision G Mobo, intel i3 10105 CPU, 32GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 750ti FTW Video Card, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 power supply, Fractal Design Focus G (White) case, Cooler Master Hyper212 RGB Black CPU cooler. 2 Dell LED Monitors (20" & 24"), SK Hynix Gold 1TB SATA SSD (OS Drive), 6 WD HDDs 13TB total (Storage).
    Rig is a partial update on the old Gigabyte P43/Q6600 OC rig... The WD HDD's, (13TB, total), Blu-ray & DVD burners,  GTX750ti FTW & Supernova 850 G2 psu, migrated from old setup... Will get an 11700K, and an RTX 3060 12GB Black card, when I'm ready to OC... Windows 11 Pro set for performance, and it runs at 4.2Ghz...  
    Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience Wheel/Pedals, 
    Built for Gaming, Video Production, and Cakewalk, Cubase DAWs...
    Requimatic
    Re: GTX500 dying? 2014/04/19 14:34:40 (permalink)
    This all started before I even did any rollbacks, all of which have been clean installs. It's just gotten worse since then. If checking off "Perform a clean install" on the installer isn't enough of a "clean install", then sure, I guess that could be part of it; but again, it happened before all the video driver changes.

But now that you mention Windows update, there was a night last week or so (before any of this started happening at all) that, when shutting this PC off for the night, Windows stated it was "configuring Windows updates" when none had been downloaded or installed, to my knowledge. That's especially strange considering I have it set to specifically prompt me if it even wants to download any.
    HotRodPolk
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: GTX500 dying? 2014/04/19 16:03:35 (permalink)
    Did the same to me, my 8 gaming partition did it while I was gaming...Rolled out on April 8th...Had to find it in task manager, and shut it off, so I could play. It used a windows module installer to run rather than the usual win update, nearly a 1 gb file...Said in the white paper it was changing update and security modules, and it would no longer work without it. Given the sweeping changes it made, severing all prior links in the process, it stands to reason various subsystems were affected...You might try removing, cleaning, then re-install your games as a fix, and it may restore things.
    Or, a fresh windows install on a DEEP formatted drive, letting it get that update before installing any programs, would be the best trouble free solution. I find it strange the way they quietly rolled out this update....I don't like that it goes outside the usual permissions, etc. to do things to my computer that I did not want...Sure hope it isn't a new kind of worm...

Gigabyte Z590 Vision G Mobo, intel i3 10105 CPU, 32GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 750ti FTW Video Card, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 power supply, Fractal Design Focus G (White) case, Cooler Master Hyper212 RGB Black CPU cooler. 2 Dell LED Monitors (20" & 24"), SK Hynix Gold 1TB SATA SSD (OS Drive), 6 WD HDDs 13TB total (Storage).
    Rig is a partial update on the old Gigabyte P43/Q6600 OC rig... The WD HDD's, (13TB, total), Blu-ray & DVD burners,  GTX750ti FTW & Supernova 850 G2 psu, migrated from old setup... Will get an 11700K, and an RTX 3060 12GB Black card, when I'm ready to OC... Windows 11 Pro set for performance, and it runs at 4.2Ghz...  
    HotRodPolk
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: GTX500 dying? 2014/04/19 16:25:41 (permalink)
    Thing is, now it runs whenever it feels like it, using as much as 80% cpu. Acting very much like a slaved system.

Requimatic
    Re: GTX500 dying? 2014/04/19 16:40:29 (permalink)
    That's pretty strange. I don't much like the sound of that, either. Sure, normal update typically come at annoying times, but I'm fine with being notified of important updates. I'm usually able to stop what I'm doing, install them, and restart. Having something roll in on its own without me even knowing, though.. I don't care for that.

But yeah, I was contemplating just reinstalling TF2 to see if that helps at all. I've been playing it for a few years now, without ever having done that, with it being updated I don't know how many times. Honestly, it's probably overdue for a fresh install.

Sadly, there's a lot of games that use .dat file systems (DDO, for example) that can become horribly fragmented through a normal update process.. which, over time, causes them to run terribly even if you've got them installed on a SSD and you have a quad+ processor. Only way to fix that is a reinstall.

I think tonight, just for fun, I'll do that, since it's been so long.

As far as this Windows installation goes, though, I had to RMA my harddrive mid-year last year, and this is only about an 8 month old installation. I've been very careful as to what's been installed, removed, etc. Hopefully this "creeper" update Windows rolled out didn't affect anything in that regard.
    HotRodPolk
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: GTX500 dying? 2014/04/19 17:12:14 (permalink)
    In my case, so far I've done 3 updates, (none to 7 yet), and once quite a few things were effected, the other two, everything still works. One other oddity, that background process is not in the windows list, but says it's a user process. What with all the spying crap going on, it makes one wonder...

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile