The mini-ITX funbox!

Author
serieus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 330
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2014/03/15 15:22:20 (permalink)
i made a post over in general hardware somewhere around a month ago after i ordered the parts for my new build as i was coming back to the pc world, and i've been enjoying the build since then. just yesterday i finally got some new fans in and decided to clean up my wiring, so now the build is reasonably presentable.

for some backstory: i originally began picking out hardware to go with an EVGA Hadron Air, because i wanted something quiet, small and classy, yet still able to pack a decent punch with performance. however, there are numerous complaints about the power supply noises, and things like the whole case not being painted didn't really sit well with me. my search for another mini ITX case continued and i stumbled upon the Corsair 250D - a wonderful, classy cube-style case with a good price. and, best of all, it allowed a full-size ATX power supply so there would be no issues, yay! the motherboard search also changed many times in the few days that it took me to decide on a setup - i wanted to go AMD to save some money but the mini ITX boards available didn't offer what i wanted and needed, so i switched to Intel. the stinger was considered, but it's fairly comparable in price with the ASUS Maximus VI Impact but lacks on various features compared to the ASUS, most important of those to me being the wifi. i'm also not entirely thrilled about how my old EVGA 750i FTW performed and had various issues, etc, so i picked the ASUS. everything else was just picked for being within my price range and providing acceptable performance to meet my goals.

with that, i present to you the funbox (with some crappy iPhone pictures)! :)

the specs:
Corsair 250D
ASUS Maximus VI Impact
Intel Core i5 4670k @ 4.4 GHz
G. Skill Sniper 1866 MHz
EVGA GTX 760 SC w/ ACX cooler
2x 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO's in RAID0, boot + game storage
1 TB Seagate Barracuda
Corsair AX760
Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 high performance PWM fans

accessories that can be (at least partially) seen in pictures:
Rosewill Helios mechanical keyboard w/ Cherry MX Red switches
Steelseries Rival mouse
Razer Goliath Extended mouse pad
ASUS MX239H monitor
Sennheiser G4ME One headset

i'd like to get some more, better pictures soon, but i'm going to wait until my girlfriend and i pick up a real camera in the coming weeks.

in the end, the build turned out quite well. i'm planning to make custom sleeved PSU cables so that the bottom of the case isn't so cluttered, since these are full length cables and i only really need about five inches of cable for the 24 pin and 8 pin cpu connectors, lol. yesterday i swapped the stock H100i fans for the SP120 high performance PWM fans, and they're now being controlled by the motherboard w/ Fan Expert 2 instead of the absolutely atrocious and finnicky Corsair Link software. i also swapped the front case fan for an AF120 quiet edition, but i plan to hopefully switch it for a BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm fan if it'll fit with the H100i, i have to do some measurements. if not that, then i'll swap back to a 140mm fan of some sort with a bit better airflow but still maintain my silence.

the build is dang near dead silent at idle, and more than reasonable during gaming while providing excellent temperatures across the board. i originally thought the case was going to be a bit bigger than it is when i saw the pictures, but it's really pretty small (as you can see when put next to my monitor), yet still has a lot of functional space. the only thing i dislike so far is the coil whine on the GTX 760 (confirmed to NOT be my PSU as i switched a couple of days after i built the system) but it isn't the worst i've ever heard.

things to come in the future: some mild lighting (probably white), maybe a GPU upgrade, larger overclock.

anyway, just wanted to share my new system - hope you guys enjoy the pictures! :)

FunBox v3
SSUPD Meshlicious
Corsair SF750
Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
AMD RX 6900 XT
EK 280mm AIO
2x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm
32GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal
Dell S3422DWG
2x Western Digital Black NVME 1TB SSDs

7 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: The mini-ITX funbox! 2014/03/15 22:39:28 (permalink)

I'm not used to boxes, but I like full towers. Your setup looks nice, and compact. BTW, are you going to do a Mods Rig page?

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: The mini-ITX funbox! 2014/03/16 03:29:18 (permalink)
    Mini ITX boxes are becoming quite popular mods and yours is excellent. Good work.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

serieus
    iCX Member
    Re: The mini-ITX funbox! 2014/03/16 07:32:13 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    I'm not used to boxes, but I like full towers. Your setup looks nice, and compact. BTW, are you going to do a Mods Rig page?

it's an interesting form factor for sure - it has some benefits that i really like, and if i had a gtx 760 w/ a reference cooler i think it would be neat to mod the vented side panel on the GPU side to a window, it'd be an excellent full view of the entire cooler side of the GPU. the box makes for some interesting cable management, but the case has plenty of tie-downs for zip ties to keep it tidy. i'm not a huge fan of full towers, just too big, but i'd like to try a micro atx build in something like the Corsair 350D or Fractal Arc Mini. i forgot about the mods rig pages, but i'll probably get one set up later today after work, thanks for reminding me! :)

rjohnson11
    Mini ITX boxes are becoming quite popular mods and yours is excellent. Good work.

thanks! there aren't very many builds with the 250D up yet, must just be too new. i read through various reviews and build logs with the BitFenix cases and just didn't really like the way they looked on the outside, and it seemed like a lot of people all had the same one. i hope the form factor continues to grow, although in the future for a main PC i'd probably go micro atx just because of how much more expandability it gives versus mini ITX.

FunBox v3
    SSUPD Meshlicious
    Corsair SF750
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    AMD RX 6900 XT
    EK 280mm AIO
    Dell S3422DWG
    Sleinous
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 7663
    • Ribbons : 32
    Re: The mini-ITX funbox! 2014/03/17 02:34:44 (permalink)
    Love this mod, you've done a great job on it. Well done!
    serieus
    iCX Member
    Re: The mini-ITX funbox! 2014/04/18 18:01:20 (permalink)
    just wanted to update this a bit with plans: i'm hoping to custom-sleeve some psu cables for this thing here in the coming month or so, so as to get rid of a lot of the extra cables in the bottom of the case since the lengths are far too long for such a small case. i'm also contemplating upgrading the gpu soon, although i'll probably wait for the 800 series to come out and decide what i want to do from there. i'm happy with the current monitor for now but a 27" 1440p is certainly tempting, which will steer my gpu decision. chances are good that it'll either be an 860 or 870, though.

other than that, the computer is exceptionally stable, quiet and more than powerful enough for me. just upgraded our internet to 50/5 for $20 a month (apartment complex offers some service so we just pay the difference), up from 15/1. the difference is very much welcome, and it also allowed us to get rid of the awful supplied netgear modem/router combo unit that frequently caused problems for us. also, the built in wifi is pretty fantastic.

i reformatted the system to windows 7 after some annoyances with windows 8.1, particularly with some drivers not working, but i'm thinking of reformatting back to 8.1 this weekend, since a) i can't find my windows 7 key from my school's free download that i got a couple years ago, and b) the driver issues are mostly solved. also, update 1 for 8.1 looks decent, especially with either start8 or classic shell installed.

lastly, ssd's are still astonishing to me even after quite a long time of using these now. they're just so fast.

FunBox v3
    SSUPD Meshlicious
    Corsair SF750
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    AMD RX 6900 XT
    EK 280mm AIO
    Dell S3422DWG
    donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: The mini-ITX funbox! 2014/04/19 16:10:50 (permalink)
    Awesome little setup you got there=) If I didn't have the case I have now and liked it, was going to go with an ITX build. Nice, clean and well done=)

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    serieus
    iCX Member
    Re: The mini-ITX funbox! 2014/04/20 16:30:07 (permalink)
    donta1979
    Awesome little setup you got there=) If I didn't have the case I have now and liked it, was going to go with an ITX build. Nice, clean and well done=)

appreciate the comments :) i was tempted to go with something like the graphite 600t in white, but i really wanted something small this go around.

FunBox v3
    SSUPD Meshlicious
    Corsair SF750
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    AMD RX 6900 XT
    EK 280mm AIO
    Dell S3422DWG
    Jump to: