EVGA

Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update.

Author
DeadMedic
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 362
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2014/04/16 14:01:21 (permalink)
Ever since the Apr 8th Windows 8.1 update my games are being forced into windowed mode, even when that is not selected in the [in game] video options. I first noticed it with BF4 and just thought it was another BF4 bug. I fired up a few other games today and see that it's the same for all. Any ideas on how to fix without doing a system restore? I'm going to try and reinstall nVidia driver now & see if that fixes it. Any other ideas appreciated.

---Driver reinstall didn't help.
post edited by DeadMedic - 2014/04/16 14:40:41

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic
Corsair HX1200
ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
64G DDR4 3600 (G.Skill Royal)
RTX 3090 Tuf
WD BLACK SN850 2TB Win 10 Pro
4TB SSD
WD 4TB Blue
WD 2Tb Green 

Heatware

9 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/04/16 14:42:36 (permalink)
    Perhaps try hitting Alt + Enter

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

BioHazardSperm
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 9988
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/04/16 14:55:33 (permalink)
    win 8.1 with update no issues like this (or any ) No idea how this could happen :/

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
    I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
    My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

DeadMedic
    iCX Member
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/04/16 15:56:18 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Perhaps try hitting Alt + Enter

Tried that. No dice.
    Here's a vid of it.
    http://youtu.be/Ck3I2xJMqhI

Sorry in advance for the crappy quality. In the beginning is when I start the game in full screen mode. I then have to Alt+tab back & forth to get it into windowed mode, and then into borderless. It works fine in borderless. I just liked it better when I played in full screen. I seemed to get better performance in full screen mode. Anyway, The game will go into full screen. It seems that Windows is forcing a window around the full screen game. It does the same with the other 2 games I tried out. Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite. 

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic
    Corsair HX1200
    ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RTX 3090 Tuf
    4TB SSD
    WD 4TB Blue
    WD 2Tb Green 

Heatware
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/04/16 20:52:29 (permalink)
    Try reinstall "clean" the gpu driver?

Edit: Opps, didnt catch that, you already did?  Sounds like Windows Updated screwed ur Win Reg?
    post edited by knightsilver - 2014/04/16 20:56:03
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/04/16 21:13:13 (permalink)
    Uninstall the Geforce Experience (only) in Programs and Features (do NOT uninstall the Graphics Driver EVER in Win8.1)
    Reboot (do NOT skip this)
    make SURE that Fraps and Precision are SHUT DOWN (and NOT set to start at boot)

Manually download 337.50 BETA from Nvidia
    Launch the installer in Custom Mode
    Uncheck ALL Nvidia driver components showing except--> for Graphics driver and PhysX (uncheck EVERYTHING else)
    *do make SURE you place a check in the box for "perform a clean install"
    install the driver

Reboot once after the install is complete (do NOT skip this and do NOT launch any games or apps, just reboot once)
    ------------------------

Now, do NOT start Fraps or launch Precision
    Launch Origin (first) and then go into a server, set video options and Save settings
    Then CLOSE the game, close Battlelog, close Origin and right click EXIT Origin...

Now restart Origin/BF4
    You should be fixed right up
    --------------------

Now you can run Precision, then test with just THAT....
    Close Precision and run with just FRAPS for testing...
    Now have both running for a test.... 
    post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/16 21:16:38

DeadMedic
    iCX Member
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/04/16 22:41:28 (permalink)
     I feel st00pid now.
    So I tried all the above and it still wouldn't work right. Gave up for a while. Had to fix mom's computer via TeamViewer. When I was done with that I happened to exit TeamViewer completely instead of minimizing it. (Some of you may see where this is going) It was the TeamViewer QuickConnect that was keeping the windows around everything. The fix is either to exit TV or go into settings and disable QuickConnect for each game. Thank you all for the help.

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic
    Corsair HX1200
    ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RTX 3090 Tuf
    4TB SSD
    WD 4TB Blue
    WD 2Tb Green 

Heatware
    _BrittonT
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/04/16 22:54:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update. Would not have thought of that causing the issue.
    shadowboricua
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 487
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/04/17 01:54:43 (permalink)
    What is so bad about GeForce Experience? I use Shadowplay with no issues. Admittedly, it is the only feature I use. Can you enlighten me about why GE is so bad?

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Games forced to windowed mode after Windows update. 2014/05/10 16:01:04 (permalink)
    shadowboricua
    What is so bad about GeForce Experience? I use Shadowplay with no issues. Admittedly, it is the only feature I use. Can you enlighten me about why GE is so bad?

maniacvvv
    Nvidia GeForce Experience

The -number one- reason this software was developed is to gain complete access and two way communication abilities, so that information about your hardware, OS and software configuration can be gathered and sent to Nvidia for resale.
    THIS SOFTWARE COLLECTS INFORMATION THAT MAKES NVIDIA -MONEY- 

All the features of this software are -secondary- to its primary function (making money by collecting and then selling your info)
    -->and are only there to "entice" you to install and use the software. By doing so you agree to Nvidia's TOS and PP

*Since this "collect your data and sell it" model is widely used (Steam, Origin, Xfire, Synapse...etc) and accepted by many users, its NOT really that big of a deal.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The REAL problem is the "GFE" program itself..
    -->it does not work correctly and in many cases is one of the PRIMARY reasons for user performance problems and driver install/game issues.
    Nvidia does NOT support the GFE development team with enough money or staffing/talent to even BEGIN to be able to make the features WORK
    -->Its basicly a "garage" operation of coding nerds (not gamers) without a proper budget, equipment or staff
    --------------------------------------
    --------------------
    ----------
    ----

Lets take a DETAILED look at Nvidia's sales pitch for the "NEW" GeForce Experience 2.0 posted right here at the EVGA forums
     http://www.evga.com/articles/00834/

First: The HOOK (sales pitch)

Wow! that sounds great.... custom software for my Nvidia card (directly from Nvidia, so its got to work perfectly)
    That updates my drivers, makes my games run better and I can record and show off my gameplay. And all of this for free, thats awesome!!
    ---------------------
    Here is the FAQ page at Nvidia for the GFE http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/faq
    And here is the Nvidia privacy policy http://www.geforce.com/privacy-policy
    ---------------------

This feature is a primary selling point for the GFE
    It claims to allow you to "one click" from the desktop and install your Nvidia driver. That sounds GREAT.
    ---------
    Except for the realities of how different users systems are KNOWN to be, how different their OS version setups can be, what browser/browser config they might be using, and of course the biggest problem of all -what might be running on the system- when a user attempts to update after the box pops up on the desktop.....
    thats BAD
    ---------
    Nvidia does NOT warn you in ANY WAY, nor does the GFE or Nvidia driver installer give a user any notice of ANY KIND...
    That something (software) is running that might be BROKEN, should the driver install proceed. Its just going to go ahead and install and possibly break it.
    Nor will it tell you that you have ANY problems, that could cause the driver install to FAIL. Its just going to run, and then tell you it "failed".
    thats BAD
    ---------
    Once you use the GFE to update your Nvidia driver and it gives you a "FAILED to Install" message, you are on your own.
    There are NO FEATURES to diagnose or to fix driver install problems contained in the GFE program.
    So a user has no idea what has happened. Running it again will generate the same error....
    Thats BAD
    ---------
    The GFE (by default) will install every single Nvidia driver component using a "express install" (including many that your system does NOT support and/or you will not use) and does NOT remove saved information from the Nvidia control panel.
    Should a user have made changes in the NVCP that have been causing issues or crashing, the new driver install will apply those incorrect settings and those problems will follow the user into his new driver install..
    thats BAD 

Supported games list http://www.geforce.com/ge...rience/supported-games
    THIS feature is one of the main reasons that Novice users install the GFE. It is also one of the MAIN reasons for -serious- problems in games should it be used.
    The primary issue with this "optimization" is that it needs to actually go directly into a games files--> AND MODIFY THEM for this feature to work.
    The problems arise when the GFE writes -incorrect data- into these game files, causing SERIOUS issues that are extremely difficult or impossible to recover from without reinstalling your entire game.
    Many users have damaged their game "settings config" files in this manner (but don't know it) and are now unable to play that game without problems.
    The GFE will NOT tell you this has happened, and will not FIX it for you...
    -->and will not even notify you, that Nvidia KNOWS it broke your game files and KNOWS how to fix them. (the corrupted config files must be rebuilt)
    Thats more than BAD, its disgusting
    ------------  
    One of the worst falsehoods about this feature, is the fact that it does NOT help users understand the limitations of their system config.
    Nor does it HELP them get it setup correctly. It basically sets everything to MAX or to MED or to LOW without giving the user any real information on WHY certain settings are effecting FPS, Image Quality or Gameplay...
    thats BAD 

This feature is nice, as GPU acceleration is very helpful when recording gameplay.
    The primary problem is that users do NOT understand the "costs" to running such software.. to themselves or to others.
    IE--> Game performance, Internet performance and hard drive/SSD stress
    -----------------
    Its just terrible when mid-range/low-end players are using this software when playing with others and seriously impacts the gaming experience of other players.
    thats BAD
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal observations and experience about the GeForce Experience

As a very active member of the EVGA forums who helps and supports users experiencing problems with Nvidia drivers and driver related issues...
    The #1 cause of the issues I work on every day, is the GeForce Experience

Its default install behavior and its corruption of third party programs like Precision (and many others) is APPALLING!
    Its -damaging- of game config files has left many thousands of users with broken games (and many don't even know this has happened)

The VERY first thing I ask a user reporting problems...
    --->Do you have the GFE installed?

Thats very BAD indeed.

I recommend that users do not install or use the GFE for the reasons I have posted
    --> its just not worth the problems it can create

NVIDIA HALL OF SHAME--> https://forums.geforce.co...10/geforce-experience/

*There is even WORSE news about the GFE
    There has been -serious- talk coming out of Nvidia about making the GFE -->REQUIRED<-- for Nvidia driver installs.
    Let us hope that this never occurs 

---------------
    The opinions in this post are personal and are completely my own  

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile