Looking for a sound card

Author
Aether245
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 439
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2014/04/16 14:43:40 (permalink)
I have decided to get a dedicated sound card for my computer since I now have a set of Sennheiser 598s and want to use virtual surround for them.  Of course, this is not the only reason since I will eventually be getting dedicated speakers and an actual monitor, but for now it is the primary reason.  Does anyone here have any suggestions?  I have been told to stay away from Creative by a few people, and one person recommended me the ASUS Phoebus (this seems like a lot of the price is due to brand name, but I could be wrong), but other than that, I'm a bit lost as far as what I should purchase.  I should be able to spend up to $250, but I would prefer to stay below $200 if possible.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

13 Replies Related Threads

NeoCrisis
    • Total Posts : 63
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 14:56:39 (permalink)
    Don't get a sound card, they're useless. Put your money into an external DAC and you'll get more out of your headphones
    post edited by NeoCrisis - 2014/04/16 14:59:02
    Aether245
    iCX Member
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 14:59:34 (permalink)
    NeoCrisis
    Don't get a sound card, they're useless. Put your money into an external DAC and you'll get more out of your headphones

Are there any you recommend in particular?  And, out of curiosity, why do you consider sound cards useless?

NeoCrisis
    • Total Posts : 63
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 16:31:54 (permalink)
    All a sound card does is take the digital signal and coverts it to analog. Same as your onboard but has a stronger amp than the onboard. All this does is makes it louder, louder does not mean better though. Most sound cards will impede the output signal by 10ohms which can cut out or effect your mids and lows. I've used Creatives and Asus sound cards in the past and there really is not difference in the quality of the sound only the volume vs the onboard.  I myself dont use a DAC cause they can get quite expensive $200+ but I have friends that use them for music creation. 
    You make want to check out this video as it explains it in more details 
    http://youtu.be/d1rXcJuEsy0
    Aether245
    iCX Member
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 16:51:26 (permalink)
    I will stick to using my FiiO E07K then!  It's not the best DAC/AMP, but it certainly works.  For virtual surround, I'll give Razer Surround a try.  Thanks for the information!

sk2play
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4437
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 19:02:42 (permalink)
    OP Aether45,
    What are your current system specs brand/model

Motherboard
    CPU
    Headphones
    Speakers

What are you looking to upgrade in the future brand/model

Motherboard
    CPU
    Headphones
    Speakers

Corsair R500 Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N78TGHZ-3GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 16GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD x2, Creative SBz to Onkyo TX-DS676, Bose 201's, Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W8.1
    Aether245
    iCX Member
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 19:31:01 (permalink)
    sk2play
    OP Aether45,
    What are your current system specs brand/model

Motherboard
    CPU
    Headphones
    Speakers

What are you looking to upgrade in the future brand/model

Motherboard
    CPU
    Headphones
    Speakers

Current:
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Z
    Intel i5 2500K
    Sennheiser HD 598
    TV

Future:
    Same motherboard
    Same CPU
    Probably upgrade to some better Sennheisers (650 or better) or a nice pair of Audio Technica's
    Not really sure what I would get to upgrade my speakers.  Anything is better than TV speakers lol

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 20:03:07 (permalink)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Aether245
    iCX Member
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 20:05:06 (permalink)
    XrayMan

http://www.frys.com/product/6979237

Have you had any problems with it?  I have heard from a few people that have messed with Creative cards that the driver support for them is terrible. 

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 20:10:26 (permalink)
    Aether245
    XrayMan

Have you had any problems with it?  I have heard from a few people that have messed with Creative cards that the driver support for them is terrible. 

Actually I bought that card for my Mom, and she has no problems with it. I have a different Creative card. Which is this: http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-Fatal1ty/M/B001BDPLJA.htm , but it is hard to find. Love my X-fi, but then they went to the Recon card. Now that card is hard to find.

*If I needed a sound card right now, I would get this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Cre...words=recon3d+fatal1ty

&nbsp
    Aether245
    iCX Member
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 20:17:21 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    Aether245
    XrayMan

Actually I bought that card for my Mom, and she has no problems with it. I have a different Creative card. Which is this: http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-Fatal1ty/M/B001BDPLJA.htm , but it is hard to find. Love my X-fi, but then they went to the Recon card. Now that card is hard to find.

That's a nice-looking card!  Good to hear that not everyone is having problems with Creative.  I have decided that, for the time being, I'm going to get an external DAC/AMP combo and get a sound card later once I get surround speakers.  Namely, I'm getting the Schiit (yes, that's the company name) Magni and Modi.  It seems to pair well with the Sennheisers, and it seems to be a good for a wide variety of things (read gaming, movies, and music).  If I decide that the HD 598s aren't doing positional audio well enough on their own, I'll download Razer Surround.

Edit:  Saw your second suggestion, and once I finally get a sound card, it'll probably be either the Fatality Champion or the one I saw in the reviews for it, the ASUS Xonar Essence STX.  Thanks for the suggestions!
    post edited by Aether245 - 2014/04/16 20:24:10

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 21:26:32 (permalink)
    Aether245
    XrayMan
    Aether245
    XrayMan

That's a nice-looking card!  Good to hear that not everyone is having problems with Creative.  I have decided that, for the time being, I'm going to get an external DAC/AMP combo and get a sound card later once I get surround speakers.  Namely, I'm getting the Schiit (yes, that's the company name) Magni and Modi.  It seems to pair well with the Sennheisers, and it seems to be a good for a wide variety of things (read gaming, movies, and music).  If I decide that the HD 598s aren't doing positional audio well enough on their own, I'll download Razer Surround.

Edit:  Saw your second suggestion, and once I finally get a sound card, it'll probably be either the Fatality Champion or the one I saw in the reviews for it, the ASUS Xonar Essence STX.  Thanks for the suggestions!

No problem.    =)

&nbsp
    Goggle Eye
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 123
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/16 23:52:19 (permalink)
    Have the same head phones  Sennheiser 598s & PC360s. Tried the cans using them with a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion. The sound card is pointless for my applications of use preparing to purchase a DAC. Have some humming sounds when using the front panel on the Recon 3D. I think it is a shielding issue on the card or cable from the sound card to the front panel? considering the NAD C 390DD Direct Digital Power DAC Amp.  

Evga

MovieMike
    • Total Posts : 32
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Looking for a sound card 2014/04/17 18:36:45 (permalink)
    I run an Creative SB Recon3D Fata1ty and Sennheiser HD439. Love the combo for gaming, has a built in headphone amp, was a night and day difference between this s/c and my onboard (Gigabyte Z77-UD5H). Very pleased with the upgrade.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile