Donor relations person hired

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
nathan_P
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 359
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/15 12:42:50 (permalink)
The issues with FF and the issues with PG are slightly different.  Vijay's biggest problem is that he is trying to do everything on the project, many others have said on here and elsewhere that he needs to start running [link=mailto:F@H]F@H[/link] like a proper enterprise with trusted people responsible for different things and him acting as CEO/Chairman.

FF on the other hand is a different animal, Its not run by PG and although they have allowed it to become the "official" support forum it is run by a bunch of ego maniacal control freaks who know nothing of free speech or how an internet forum should work, furthermore they allow trolls free reign over the site with no sanctions whatsoever.  Texinga and others have complained to VJ in the past but he wants proper proof before he will do anything - not always easy if the thread is deleted. 
Even some of the newer mods over there are starting to learn bad habits.

Support for [link=mailto:F@h]F@h[/link] is better off gleaned here or at [H], OCN or overclockers.com, you will get sensible answers from people who want to help and will do so politely.

mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/15 13:00:41 (permalink)
Sightbain
I agree with the sentiments of the BA folders, I myself wish we could use every playstation and xbox and make Dell include FaH as part of their bloatware. However, after reading through some of the so called scandalous pande censorship topics, the vast majority of the posts seem completely reasonable and they do address the topics being discussed. As far as locking threads where the answer has been given, it is a bit iron fisted, but after the post has been answered it usually devolves into a completely different topic.

Yeah, the problem is with timing and credibility.
 less than two years ago the STATS were completely changed...doubling the accounted power of the project
about a year later a second change results in a 4x increase in accounted processing power.

When I pointed out the obvious errors in the second revision...I was ignored or actively heckled/shunned.

Now some months later, as the absurdness becomes obvious to everyone...no linux or OSX cores showing up at all...the thread is locked.

In business, if you report consistently and knowingly false numbers...its considered fraud and you can be fined or jailed.
Does this raise to that level of importance?

No. But you should either correct the issue, or simply not report if you can't get it right.

In the last 4 years, based on the continuous revisions and corrections (ranging not in percents, but by multiples of 2x-4x) it appears that the numbers are simply not even close to being correct.

Re: What is happening with the Linux client?

by VijayPande » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:53 pmYea, clearly this is a reporting bug.

Does not address the issue.

When people continue to follow and comment on topic, and you then chose to delete their comments and lock the thread...you then move to a level of active cover-up rather than simple apathy/lack of time to follow through.

Why are they reporting/claiming a TFLOP # that they know is highly suspect?
Because it gives the appearance of progress and participation.
When you report what you think people want to hear rather than the facts...well you are participating in propaganda and not science.

So, is it important? I think so.

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2014/04/15 13:11:08
notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/15 13:02:24 (permalink)
Very true, but sad Nathan. It surprises me it is allowed to continue that way. You would think if a BIG problem was brought to your attention it would be dealt with properly. {H} is a great resource for help and information too.  
orionthehunter
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/16 15:23:30 (permalink)
nathan_P
FF on the other hand is a different animal, Its not run by PG and although they have allowed it to become the "official" support forum it is run by a bunch of ego maniacal control freaks who know nothing of free speech or how an internet forum should work, furthermore they allow trolls free reign over the site with no sanctions whatsoever.  Texinga and others have complained to VJ in the past but he wants proper proof before he will do anything - not always easy if the thread is deleted. 
Even some of the newer mods over there are starting to learn bad habits.

Not run by PG directly but hosted by them but then VJ does give the mods and certain others free rein...

Check ChelseaOilman response to a statement of mine at [H]

edit: OK, I can't post a link. Here's a quote from him.
ChelseaOilman
Originally the FF was paid for and hosted somewhere else by Weibo Westerhoff
from England. I'm sure I spelled his name wrong, sorry. Around the time when the
old FF crashed and burned when a forum backup procedure went bad VJ decided to
host it at Stanford because Weibo was having difficulty affording the costs
himself. Although it's hosted at Stanford, VJ lets the mods run the show. You
see how well that has worked out.

post edited by orionthehunter - 2014/04/16 15:28:28
mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/18 13:56:59 (permalink)
Just FYI
Confirmation that it just isn't a priority.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26189#p262642

Which I actually don't have a problem with if you just say that from the start and don't abuse donors for inquiring.
Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/18 14:11:53 (permalink)
I've seen this show at least 30 times and it just keeps getting funnier every time I see it!

mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/13 20:03:18 (permalink)
Another thread locked on FF
great topic for a donor relations person to tackle...
Or perhaps, just ignore.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25254&start=60#p264107

So, as litcoine and dogecoin reach EOL on graphics cards...we could attempt to co-opt the Millions(well easily 100 of thousands) of now greatly depreciated cards...or we could alienate them and their owners by telling them to shove off...

Hmmm...what to do..What would a professional donor relations person do with this opportunity....I wonder???
pcmaster00
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2752
  • Ribbons : 51
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/13 20:15:25 (permalink)
It really is a shame that PG doesnt see the potential for expansion that they could get out of something like this. 

EVGA!!! TAKE CARE OF MY MATES!!!!   Heatware
Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,
All HDDs in trayless bays, 6x LG 24x DVD-RW drives, 3x Acer 22" V223W monitors

mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/14 06:39:49 (permalink)
Well, I don't know about the specific merits of the curecoin scheme.
If may well have been a farce.
I tend to think the entire bitcoin craze is misguided.

My point is not on the merits of the specific issue, but in the way Folding handles, addresses and communicates about the issue.

I stopped reading the thread some time ago...but I didn't see any update from VJ indicating the status of discussions...a good or bad idea for getting more donors?? I have no clue...and instead of giving me(an interested donor) more information, clarifying the potential good or bad issues...they locked the thread. Classic....

Currently, over 75% of FOLDING is now in the corporate cloud...It is no longer [link=mailto:FOLDING@HOME]FOLDING@HOME[/link] at all.

So, the need for a donor relations person may now be moot, as the need for home donors may be obsolete.

I don't know...:) as usual.
sajinor
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/14 15:12:39 (permalink)
mdk7777777

Currently, over 75% of FOLDING is now in the corporate cloud. 

Do you have a source on this? I would like to read more about it if there is any more available information/statistics. I have wondered about various donation sources.

Primary: i9-10200x @ 4.8, LianLi Galahad 360A, EVGA x299 FTW-K, 256GB DDR4 2666, EVGA RTX 3090, LianLi O11 Air

KittyNode: i5-10400 @ 4.0, Arctic i13, ASUS ROG Strix B460I, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1650 Super, Fractal Node 304
mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/14 19:15:33 (permalink)
Yeah, as irony would have it...https://foldingforum.org/...3&start=75#p259281
VJ said that he had a new donor coming online...and he was not at liberty to say who.http://app.johanssonrobotics.com/folding/

From the above graph...32K FERMI GPU were found under someones couch cushion.

And this graph shows that total TFLOPS went from 15 to a peak of 46...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtDZlHnA_WpldGFiM184dnpJbllrck50NnJnUS1CdVE&usp=sharing#gid=11

So I was exaggerating/pulling numbers out of memory.  ;)
32% still Folding from home users still. :)

around 65% from the cloud and not 75%.

So what corporate donor has that many GPU...not servers...but high-end FERMI GPU?

Your guess is as good as mine...because no one is talking at PG. ;)

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2014/05/14 19:32:35
sajinor
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/14 21:50:48 (permalink)
I see what you are getting at. No specific report (that would probably be more information than they want to give out) on the split of corporate to private donors, but indicated numbers. Based on the conversation throughout the thread in your first link, it does appear some of the initial surge of cards was due to the card stats being fixed and reporting correctly. At least that is what I am getting from it. Still, it doesn't really account for the continuous sharp increase still being seen. I do imagine the most recent spike in AMD cards may have something to do with Curecoin and their 100 million PPD. I am not a fan of the crypto-currency either, but everyone can make their own decision on getting involved in that. It is not my place to judge (but I do )

Thanks for the links.

Primary: i9-10200x @ 4.8, LianLi Galahad 360A, EVGA x299 FTW-K, 256GB DDR4 2666, EVGA RTX 3090, LianLi O11 Air

KittyNode: i5-10400 @ 4.0, Arctic i13, ASUS ROG Strix B460I, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1650 Super, Fractal Node 304
mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/15 08:28:40 (permalink)
yeah, again my ramblings might have a significant amount of error...but that is what happens when you don't have access to any original sources and are only making inferences from second-hand symptoms.

If only there were some process of communication...
perhaps a person tasked with making such information transparently available?
Barbarossa
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5311
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/15 10:17:43 (permalink)
mdk7777777

Hm, but wouldn´t exactly this be part of a donor relations pr person?

My affiliate code

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/15 10:41:23 (permalink)
I'm thinking the donor relations person is less relevant for the individual folder now and is more of a representative for the big company donors.

mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/15 10:55:01 (permalink)
Barbarossa
mdk7777777

Hm, but wouldn´t exactly this be part of a donor relations pr person?

Sorry, I know it does not always translate...but I can't lay the sarcasm on any heavier without being offensive.
Viper97
I'm thinking the donor relations person is less relevant for the individual folder now and is more of a representative for the big company donors.

Yeah, with only one post so far...the activity level has not been huge.
As I pointed out, controversial threads are still just being deleted and then locked on FF, so the impact for the average at home donor has been NIL.
maybe she is working behind the scenes with corporate donors as you postulate.

I am reminded of the tooties-roll-pop commercial from my childhood.

"...the world might never know. "
texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5066
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/15 14:53:22 (permalink)
I'm always mindful of one thing that I discovered when I was emailing with Vijay several months ago.  The interests and expectations of "enthusiast Folders" regarding the "Donor Relations person" is far different from what Vijay intends for that person to do.  Once I understood that one point, then there was no reason to expect that Donor-liaison is going to fulfill some of the things that are mentioned above.  It won't happen, and I feel would be better for "enthusiast donors" to just move on from what are clearly expectations that won't be fulfilled.

On the anonymity of companies, I'm reminded that there can be (and I expect are) sound reasons why many of the companies that engage in Folding do not want their names to be advertised by PG without their express permission.  In the end, I don't really care to know what the ratio is between individual Folders and Corporations.  If both are doing the work to help solve diseases, it doesn't matter which holds the largest share of work.

mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/15 16:13:10 (permalink)
texinga
I'm always mindful of one thing that I discovered when I was emailing with Vijay several months ago.  The interests and expectations of "enthusiast Folders" regarding the "Donor Relations person" is far different from what Vijay intends for that person to do.  Once I understood that one point, then there was no reason to expect that Donor-liaison is going to fulfill some of the things that are mentioned above.  It won't happen, and I feel would be better for "enthusiast donors" to just move on from what are clearly expectations that won't be fulfilled.

On the anonymity of companies, I'm reminded that there can be (and I expect are) sound reasons why many of the companies that engage in Folding do not want their names to be advertised by PG without their express permission.  In the end, I don't really care to know what the ratio is between individual Folders and Corporations.  If both are doing the work to help solve diseases, it doesn't matter which holds the largest share of work.

Somewhat of a circle logic I'm afraid. If you don't care about getting the information...then a person to disseminate the information is not needed, right?
I understand that many are willing to simply trust for the best.
My view of history is that unsupervised, unaccountable systems/groups/organizations or governments...seldom naturally move in the direction of the best good for the greatest number.

Experience has shown specifically, that what is best for PG, is not always what is best for donors...
Hence the need we have discussed at great detail in the past.

My point is that the need of donors for representation/advocacy is still far from being met.
"It won't happen, and I feel would be better for "enthusiast donors" to just move on from what are clearly expectations that won't be fulfilled."
My recommendation is for all FOLDERS to move on if that is the very, very low expectation.

Collecting beanie babies would be a more profitable hobby.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/15 16:35:04 (permalink)
Mdk, my point was that you are waiting for a train that isn't stopping at your station.  It isn't a matter of circular logic, or even trust (certainly not for me).  But I am enough of a realist to know when something just isn't going to happen.  Your own continuing dialog of locked threads, donor liaisons not fulfilling expectations, etc is proof enough that your concerns are not being resolved.  So, I say again...move on, for your own sake and let these things go.

bison88
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 136
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/15 21:15:08 (permalink)
Well as they say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.  It seems no matter how much we've dealt with, people are always willing to believe in the hope that something is going to change this time around.

I had no faith then that a donor relations person would help (unless it was someone well known in the FAH community) and I have no faith now.  Trust isn't given, it's earned and we are a long way from that.  Feel free to drink the kool-aid if it helps keep you focused on the science part though.
texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/16 05:56:11 (permalink)
The "Serenity Prayer" comes to mind here:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference."

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/16 07:16:20 (permalink)
'And the ability to kill those who get in my way.'

I always liked amending that prayer.

Drazhar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2370
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/16 13:29:08 (permalink)
I finally figured out why I'm not miserable with Folding.

I've only been on FF when it gets linked here over and over again!

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/05/16 15:53:44 (permalink)
I suppose there can be something said for not knowing the details in a sausage.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile