Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
cuarc001
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 509
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2014/04/15 08:56:39 (permalink)
Hey guys! The DC-Vault is looking for admins from various teams, so I wanted to pass on the message to you guys! 

They're looking for admins from other teams to keep it fair an balanced, so I thought I'd post a link to that thread on the [H] here so you guys could read and deliberate. If you are interested, please contact me in the [H] forums or at the DC-Vault. You can try leaving me a message here, but I don't know how quick I will be to respond since I will be trying to contact several teams and don't visit here much.

Gilthanis - HardForums [H] DC'er of the Month 7/13, 7/14 and [H] DC'er of the Year 2014

34 Replies Related Threads

Orange_1050
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1202
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 11:07:26 (permalink)
    Welcome to Our forums fellow cruncher
    A little early on posting links.
    I Guess this is the link:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1815212

My Virgin Prime: 433*2^2188076+1 (658680 digits)

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 897
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 11:07:59 (permalink)
    Nice to see you here Coleslaw. Umm, you forgot the link....

Thanks for the link Orange.
    post edited by Khalifrio - 2014/04/15 11:18:31

cuarc001
    SSC Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 11:26:49 (permalink)
    Orange_1050 & Khalifrio, thank you for the link. Yes that is the correct thread. Not sure what happened as the link was there when I posted. Either way, it is listed. And thanks for the welcome. :)

Gilthanis - HardForums [H] DC'er of the Month 7/13, 7/14 and [H] DC'er of the Year 2014

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 12:04:16 (permalink)
    We gots rules... you can't post links until you have 50 posts or more.  Break this rule and EVGA Rob sends a horsehead to your bedroom!

Just kidding!

Welcome! 

cuarc001
    SSC Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 12:07:40 (permalink)
    There ya go. I knew I wasn't that crazy...

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2969
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 15:34:27 (permalink)
    One of the crunching team co-captains would be a natural choice, but I don't remember who they are anymore (Viper, RHMash, linuxrouter, ?). All I know is AB and I retired from that role a while back.

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 16:16:04 (permalink)
    You got it Punchy... and I believe Horvat filled in for a bit also.

cuarc001
    SSC Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 16:37:54 (permalink)
    Well, he only wants one per team and he has final approval. Plus whomever your team chooses would need to set up a login at the DC-Vault if they haven't already. Let me know if the chosen candidate has trouble with setting up an account. I know it required me having another member to contact Rusty to get one of my email addresses to work. Also, let me know the final choice and I will run it buy Rusty. :)

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 16:46:07 (permalink)
    I'll PM a couple of folks... hit you up on [H] also.  First I need to see if they are interested in representing the team... if not then I might have to step in but I have a loaded plate.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 17:16:38 (permalink)
    Well, we need someone that's crazy for all sorts of projects - I know linux and RH both are - but we also have a number of others that run a lot of things; yodap, Khali, Orange, bcav, and more.  Hopefully there is a logical way to find someone, or as a last resort we could vote...

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 17:20:02 (permalink)
    I've sent a few PM's to our merry band... ones that won't be tied up.  I've included the rabid folders and crunchers... it's a start.  Voting won't work as the admin position is at the discretion of the DC Vault main dude.  So hopefully a volunteer will step up.  I'm reluctant to take this on as there are other far more rabid folks out there. 

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 17:56:59 (permalink)
    Viper97
    I've sent a few PM's to our merry band... ones that won't be tied up.  I've included the rabid folders and crunchers... it's a start.  Voting won't work as the admin position is at the discretion of the DC Vault main dude.  So hopefully a volunteer will step up.  I'm reluctant to take this on as there are other far more rabid folks out there. 

Whether we vote for a person or we have a volunteer, either way it's at the discretion of the DC vault guy.  I'm assuming our team gets to propose one person per Coleslaw's message "whomever your team chooses".

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 18:09:01 (permalink)
    I'm just navigating the waters as best I can.  Some of the folks you personally recommended were the ones I PM'd.   It's a big responsibility... it's going to take some time on their behalf to grow it but I think it's a good way to get some representation for us and the folding/crunching community since all projects are included. 

I'm just doing what I can to hopefully get the team a voice... maybe promote the whole folding/crunching thing.  Personally this is a great opportunity for us I believe.

Heck even I really wouldn't want the position unless I served as a placeholder for someone who would willingly take it on.  Maybe we can all PM the ones we think are a good match and willing to take this on.

Then submit the list to whom that he is chooses.

I'm just doing my best.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 20:24:38 (permalink)
    I'm not complaining about what you are doing - just trying to point out that I don't see any cause-effect in your statement that "voting won't work".  Just remember that I'm a computer engineer so I'm all about logic.

I actually don't see the logic in needing forum admins to be from various teams for it to be fair and balanced.  That somehow seems to imply that the admins either manipulate discussions or control things behind the scenes (gee, I know another DC forum just like that).  They should weigh the input equally from users and admins in making their project choices, or admins should not participate in such discussions to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest. 

A forum admin job is something I wouldn't wish on anyone (sorry AB).  Hopefully we'll only get one volunteer so voting wouldn't be necessary anyway.

RHMash
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1117
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/15 20:26:21 (permalink)
    I fear now is not the best time for me to step up for this one.  I'd love, too, however.  Maybe in a limited capacity as an alternate/assistant?

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 04:39:33 (permalink)
    We actually have a volunteer.  It's a good one too.  To me fair and balanced in this instance may mean that we bring different ideas together from all teams.  I know or seem to think I know that in all the past discussions  teams tend to be one sided in their thoughts.  Perhaps having a blend of admins will allow more communication between teams in a manner more open and donation friendly then a one sided rigged contest/solution etc.   That's just my thinking.  Call it a round table sort of thing were each get to beat each other up but they still have to play nice because they have to mod together.

Twisted and illogical granted but while I admire logic, illogical is also a way to move things forward.  (Thinking Kirk and Spock here!)

Either way... Khali has graciously said he'd step up to the plate on this one.  He had already created a DC Vault forum account a while back and has been poking around.  Khalifrio as he is known to us has been instrumental in many of the Vault raids and has done a great job of sharing his knowledge and thoughts.  I think he's a good choice and if DC Vault accepts him as an admin, I think he'll do a great job of instilling some life back into that forum as well as helping guide the teams.

Either Khalifrio (Khali) or I can PM the OP to start things rolling.  I think this is a great opportunity to soothe some wounds of the past between teams and foster more cooperation between them.

boballee
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1455
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 05:25:06 (permalink)
    Awesome!  Great team member stepping up.  I have a DC-Vault account as well and can help out as needed/wanted.  

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 05:34:18 (permalink)
    I only have one request... It cannot be a member on our team, it needs to be a captain allowing our fun/drama free atmosphere to continue...

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 07:11:07 (permalink)
    I believe I understand the reasoning behind your suggestion but I don't totally agree with it.

My thoughts on this is that a team member can become a DC Vault Admin... Here's my reasoning:

1.  Over my time here on this forum I've noted a change in attitudes within the team.  We are more inclined to be fun and drama free (albeit it not exactly 100%). 
    2.  It's my feeling that the new members have fostered a climate of cooperation and sharing and continue to nuture that concept as we grow.
    3.  I think most of our members have seen enough drama over the time to pull back and rethink ways to approach new ideas.

However, if the team thinks it should be a co-captain then one of two things needs to be done.

1.  A co-captain needs to step up to the plate.
    2. If all the co-captains are too busy to take on this duty then one of us should step down.

If the team honestly believes a co-captain is needed for this position then I'll gladly step aside from my role as co-captain and personally nominate the selectee for my position.
    post edited by Viper97 - 2014/04/16 07:12:53

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 07:47:31 (permalink)
    Maybe the OP could give us more details on what he means by an admin at the DC Vault.  In most forum parlance, an admin is someone that can moderate topics, merge/split threads, create new subforums, add/delete users, etc.  I have a feeling what is really being looked for here is someone to make decisions on projects to add/remove from the vault; more of a representative than an administrator.

yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 08:17:50 (permalink)
    Well well well
    Look what goes down when you don't check in for a while.

What's the overall goal with this thing?
    "To keep it fair and Balanced"? Not sure what that means pertaining to our team and others in the vault. I thought it was simply a stats site provided by Rusty and Team Ninja.
    My apologies for being uninformed or just plain forgetful.

Edit: Punchy got in before me.

post edited by yodap - 2014/04/16 08:18:52

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 08:30:21 (permalink)
    This is in regards to the forum side of things... looking through the forum there's a lot of ideas on what should be counted in the vault, what shouldn't be, etc.  So far it appears there are a quite a few suggestions from the OP on making things better overall as a stats site.

So I see this as not only modding as we know it but also a bit of decision making/suggestions for what needs/should be included in the calculation of stats.

So it's a big hat to wear.

cuarc001
    SSC Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 08:45:20 (permalink)
    I've been asked for a return with more insight.

I'm new to the Admin's role and am still testing the waters on what is expected of us as well. Admins have access to another sub forum where we can get together behind the scenes for further discussion. Vault member's typically go to the forums with requests to add or remove projects and they follow the forum rules for doing so. It is pretty simple because all you have to do is create the thread, state why you think it should be added or removed, a link to the project if needed, and any other details you would like to share. Then we typically give some time for other Vault members to chime in with their feelings and concerns with the request. Admins however are asked to not give "personal" opinions but to stay objective to just the facts and the current rules. (most of my personal views were stated before becoming an admin FYI) So, if a project isn't breaking any of the rules, then it technically qualifies. Now that doesn't mean you can't point out faults. However, you would need to be objective and just point them out as facts rather than your own preference. After there has been time for members to have open discussion, admins will also talk behind the scenes about everything that has been presented and make an educated decision on what is best for the Vault over all. One of us will then ask the admin of the project for permission to include them in the Vault if another member hasn't done so already. Then it is up to the Owners to make the final call.

Why do we only want one person from a team? Simple, some suggestions for additions and removals are solely based on ones team position. If for example EVGA has little interest in GIMPS, they may have a lower score in the Vault. By removing GIMPS, it may push their rankings. Especially if the top producers in GIMPS continue to support it. If their is an imbalance of weight in the decision process, one team could manipulate the Vault to some degree. When some projects are worth large amounts of points like PSP (currently 333.34/position), it can make a huge difference in your scoring.

Another reason to only take one admin from each team is to keep a variety of opinions and interests. This helps keep the mob mentality at bay to some degree. We sometimes get caught up in the team's view point and not necessarily what is fun and more importantly fair to everyone. An example of this is DistrRTgen. There are a lot of people whom do not like the idea of the project because hackers could potentially use the results. This is nothing more than fear of abuse. Logically most projects can be exploited for immoral use. However, they still meet the requirements of the Vault. Some teams are also GPU heavy and may favor GPU projects. Getting rid of a CPU project may help their scoring.

Admins should also be willing to check in often and give responses to most items of concern. We are trying to renew life into the DC-Vault by making it a place where people actually want to participate again rather than appearing as another "stats site". Admins from various teams can point out problems, concerns, suggestions, or just new ideas. So far Rusty has been pretty open for taking the reigns and going with it. He is relying heavily on us in the near future (and somewhat the present) to make things better. I will say that I have not yet found Moderator powers as an admin. So, those concerns I can not attest to just yet. :)

cuarc001
    SSC Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 10:32:58 (permalink)
    I will also note that whomever you decide to be a potential admin, would also need to make sure they have an account set up at DC-Vault so that they could be made an admin when he makes an official decision. If they have any troubles getting registered (because I know I did) just let me know or have another team member contact Rusty and we will try and get it sorted out. :)

yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 11:08:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Gilthanis.
    Manipulating the standings? Who would of thunk it? Some people have way too much time to waste.

boballee
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1455
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 11:15:06 (permalink)
    I like the concept - sounds more like a council than forum admins.  

cuarc001
    SSC Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 11:52:39 (permalink)
    boballee...that is exactly what my impression is as well.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 12:06:47 (permalink)
    Ooh - we can call it the Donor Advisory Board!

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: I need names! DC-Vault admins from other teams 2014/04/16 14:25:36 (permalink)
    Hmm... my Sarcasm meter just spiked into the danger zone.  ***Smacks LCD***

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile