EVGA

2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax

Author
atagent
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/01/29 23:14:10 (permalink)
Just saw this deal for two RooCASE made for Nexus 7 (2nd gen) for under $9 (free ship with prime) + tax.  The Nexus is 0.5mm shorter and just ever slightly thicker.  I think this will fit the Tegra Note just fine except no access to the stylus.  Personally I'm looking for something that will cover the entire tablet and not just the slip cover (especially not for $30!).

Thoughts?

13 Replies Related Threads

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4805
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/01/30 05:21:17 (permalink)
    Thanks man!! I was looking for a case for my Nexus 7. Now I just found one. I am with you dude I am not buying a stupid case for 30+ dollars. Heck at my local Best Buy they were selling the actual Nexus 7 case made from Google for $50! But once again thanks

atagent
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/01/30 09:19:07 (permalink)
    So what's a Nexus 7 guy doing in a Tegra Note forum!?  Hahaha, no worries bro, glad you can benefit from the deal.  I bought two as well and wonder if the auto on/off magnet is in the right place for the Tegra Note.  Sucks when there's basically no third party accessories for this tablet and only generic ones.
    P0ll0L0c0
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/02/03 11:23:09 (permalink)
    I ordered this pair - and overall, I wouldn't recommend it for our Note 7 - though I will use one of the cases going forward.

It's definitely a tight fit, such that it distorts the "pleather" round the display.  Also - it left some imprints in my screen protector, and I bet it would leave scratches if you don't use a screen protector.  Otherwise - it provides access to all the ports, and has a nice overall feel.  While it's now difficult to get the stylus out, I kind of like the stylus included with the case.  The cutout for the camera actually works for our tablet.

I was previously using a generic (Kroo) 8" claw style case - and the two things I liked about it were that the claws actually provided good corner protection, and the band kept the case closed in case of a drop.  In that sense, this new case isn't as protective I feel.  That said, the new case does feel better, and the camera cutout is a nice touch.  If I found a 7" claw style case, I might consider that instead - the extra material of the 8" case I had made it hard to hold.

One other note - the dual display feature of one case had me thinking that I only had to rotate the tablet to get a portrait stand.  I had a rocketfish case from Bestbuy that did this.  Unfortunately - for this case, to get portrait mode you detach an inner case from the outer via Velcro - and velcro it in portrait mode.  Not the most elegant design.

Overall - for $10 I'm not disappointed, but I'm also not thrilled.
    atagent
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/02/03 11:59:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the review.  I think the cases should arrive today for me so I'll try that out.  I do have a Skinomi screen protector on mine and ordered a Nexus 7 XtremeGuard to cut down as a backup in the future ($0.99 shipped today from this deal) given t  hey don't have one for the Tegra Note.  I was worried the claw style ones wouldn't hold it very well.  Guess I'll stretch this one out before putting in the TN7 and hope the case won't scratch the body.  Will be checking it out and see if there's any way to make a hole for the stylus too.  Yup, $10 for two cases, I shouldn't be disappointed also.
    atagent
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/02/05 12:40:22 (permalink)
    Just tried out both cases and actually I didn't need to stretch anything to fit the Tegra Note 7 into these cases.  The Dual-Station Folio does seem to fit better though, and the screen doesn't seem to be in any danger of being scratched.  The magnetic cover doesn't wake the tablet like it would the Nexus 7, and it does cover up the rear camera (I've never used it anyway since quality still sucks in my opinion) and the speaker grills.  Again, <$10 for two cases seems reasonable.
    atagent
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/02/06 13:24:34 (permalink)
    Back again this time with different color options.  Just in case anyone is interested...
    P0ll0L0c0
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/02/07 01:44:14 (permalink)
    Hmmm, you contradicted some of my major points.  I'm not sure how you can be seeing something different unless you have a different device or case so here are a few pictures.  I would NOT recommend this case to anyone without a screen protector.

The camera is not blocked.  I can take pictures as good as the quality of the camera allows (not great).  This is with the magnetic cover on BTW.

Notice that right above the screen the material is bowed.  See how much of the top edge of the device is exposed, the corners are also exposed - which a claw case might solve.

See the "smudge" between the corner of the screen and the flash?  That's actually a 3D semi permanent imprint in my skinomi screen protector.  If I pull the Note 7 out of the case, my screen protector looks trashed, because I have these marks on all 4 corners.  They're darn close to the actual screen - which is why I would NOT use this case without a screen protector.  The back of the tablet shows minor witness marks, I don't think these will be significant over time.  The screen protector marks I don't think would heal on their own if I pulled the tablet out for an extended period.

In short - I'm happy to use this case for now, but if I see a 7" claw case cheap, and not one that can be used for 8" tablets - I may get that instead.  As I see it, the only advantage of this case is that it doesn't block the camera, and with a little work you can pull out the stylus.

post edited by P0ll0L0c0 - 2014/02/07 01:51:35
    P0ll0L0c0
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/02/07 01:50:11 (permalink)
    Also - this most recent deal you posted is for the Kindle Fire HDX.  Does that tablet have the same profile as our Tegra Note 7?
    atagent
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/02/07 12:11:37 (permalink)
    Sorry, you're right, the recent deal was a mistake.  I need to look for glasses deals instead!

Funny I just didn't give it a thought until you mentioned the camera cutout.  Apparently they did send me a wrong case, so I just contacted Amazon and they gave me partial credit back.  (Woohoo!)

As you can see the left one is the Dual-Station and the hole is dead center.  Again, my bad, I just wasn't thinking, since I was sure I won't be using the camera on the TN7 anyway.  The Dual-View on the right fits fine though, without needing to stretch or having pressure applied to the screen in any way.

The major downside to the Dual-Station is the top cutout for the ports blocks the micro-usb port as seen here:

I too am using a Skinomi on mine and there're no smudge at all from both of these cases.  Oh and I do prefer the Dual-Station over the Dual-View.
    post edited by atagent - 2014/02/07 12:12:58
    eastx
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/04/14 00:09:43 (permalink)
    Has anyone else tried these cases? Atagent had a good experience, but Pollo's conflicting report has me worried.
    Also, any other case recommendations? I hear bad things about the official case, and none of the cases that come up for the Tegra Note 7 in search results at Amazon look good to me.
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/04/14 13:49:05 (permalink)
    eastx
    Has anyone else tried these cases? Atagent had a good experience, but Pollo's conflicting report has me worried.
    Also, any other case recommendations? I hear bad things about the official case, and none of the cases that come up for the Tegra Note 7 in search results at Amazon look good to me.

on page 10 of the note owners thread I posted a link for a case that I got and I think it's pretty good. It was from Amazon.
    atagent
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/04/15 21:23:37 (permalink)
    ^^ I think that's a pretty good case, given it's for the HP's version of the TN7, so I am sure it's a perfect fit.  At $11.59 currently (link) I think it's a good deal.  If you don't mind the less than perfect fit, then the Roos is again available 2 for $11 (link).

If I had known about the HP case at the time, I probably would've gotten it, but so far I'm fine with what I got.
    eclein
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: 2 x Nexus 7 case for the Tegra Note for ~$9 + ship/tax 2014/04/24 17:47:06 (permalink)
    I got that flintie case atagent has the link to above, it works fine and much better than nothing. The price is right!! 
    The fit isn't horrible at all on mine, little extra hinge....lol. It works!!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile