FCC approves new net neutrality rules

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102260
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2015/02/26 23:10:22 (permalink)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/26/fcc-approves-net-neutrality-rules/24053057/

Internet service providers treat all legal content equally.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

10 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 00:22:53 (permalink)
    Now if only the FCC would  break-up the cable company's monopoly so consumers can see more options for service; aka the baby bells type of thing.

My cell phone company offers more service for less money every year and my cable company keeps raising the price for the same or less service. 

Seems that there is a total lack of real competition for high speed internet here in the Mid-Atlantic states - Comcast has a virtual monopoly.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

starsmine
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 890
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 00:53:44 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Now if only the FCC would  break-up the cable company's monopoly so consumers can see more options for service; aka the baby bells type of thing.

My cell phone company offers more service for less money every year and my cable company keeps raising the price for the same or less service. 

Seems that there is a total lack of real competition for high speed internet here in the Mid-Atlantic states - Comcast has a virtual monopoly.

This passing of reclassifying them as Title II pretty much will.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 01:14:47 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Its like that up north too, probably the whole u.s. for that matter. We have three options up here: Optimum Online (Cable), Verizon (Fios/Broadband) or Satellite. That's it and I would imagine that's probably the deal for everyone, sadly. The kicker is that my Verizon 4g service is actually alot faster/efficient upstream than my cable landline for mmo gaming so the only time we use the cable anymore is for movie streaming/downloading since Verizon made us give up our unlimited data plan.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 07:42:38 (permalink)
    Same in the midwest. We have 2 choices: Time Warner Cable or Cincinnati Bell and neither of them are particularly cheap. Cincy Bell used to only offer 3Mbps DSL and they started rolling out "fiber" to compete with TWC. The peak speeds have gone up but they keep finding little ways to increase the bill every year. TWC tried to increase my bill from $50 a month to $85 for the same 15Mbps* service.

*Note: 15Mbps on the rare occasion, it was usually 7.5Mbps with lower dips to make Netflix buffer.

starsmine
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 890
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 08:00:29 (permalink)
    and here I am with a municipal ISP who just upped my speed from 20 to 30 for free (well, I pay the same every month still)

Im actually rather happy with my ISP, other then some glitch with my old d-link we never solved they have been good to me. We spent 3 hours on the phone troubleshooting that router, and then they sent a guy over and he was stumped as well. all we did was change house D:. That old d-link was not fond of the new house. But they are happy to help when I call in. I still feel 80 bucks a month is a bit high for 30 down 5 up and a landline that we dont use at all. But they treat us well. And the only compition to them is mediacom, HAH mediacom. The rare ISP with lower customer satisfaction then comcast.

Hooray municipal ISPs Hooray

lololololololol mediacom
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/telecom-services/bundled-services-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

post edited by starsmine - 2015/02/27 08:07:22
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 12:08:20 (permalink)
    I have Cox and they have been alright.  I can't complain about the service here which is about 90 down 30 up for $70 a month
    BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3797
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 12:13:25 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Government can't create competition.... The breaking down of the communication companies didn't help and nothing really got better... Only thing that will change this is innovation and tossing some regulations out....

My town has MIConnection and its locally operated by the local government and its horrible... I absolutely hate it... Get rid of regulations that protect the government created monopolies and allow ATT and other ISPs to come into my area Id be happy...
    post edited by BF3PRO - 2015/02/27 12:16:27

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 12:13:58 (permalink)
    just need to drop this Net-Neutrality crap......

How about a  bigger push for better internet/cell backbone, and more/better coverage across the States, how about just some common sense, oh wait.....
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 12:25:26 (permalink)
    starsmine
    and here I am with a municipal ISP who just upped my speed from 20 to 30 for free (well, I pay the same every month still)

Im actually rather happy with my ISP, other then some glitch with my old d-link we never solved they have been good to me. We spent 3 hours on the phone troubleshooting that router, and then they sent a guy over and he was stumped as well. all we did was change house D:. That old d-link was not fond of the new house. But they are happy to help when I call in. I still feel 80 bucks a month is a bit high for 30 down 5 up and a landline that we dont use at all. But they treat us well. And the only compition to them is mediacom, HAH mediacom. The rare ISP with lower customer satisfaction then comcast.

Hooray municipal ISPs Hooray

lololololololol mediacom
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/telecom-services/bundled-services-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

lol, wow, you gotta really work at being horrible to outclass Comcast in customer UNsatisfaction.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: FCC approves new net neutrality rules 2015/02/27 14:10:19 (permalink)
    wmmills

lol, wow, you gotta really work at being horrible to outclass Comcast in customer UNsatisfaction.

+1K

Sorry our equipment failed; since you did not purchase the additional monthly coverage we have to charge you to replace our failed component (faulty).  Splitter inside my garage that Comcast put in place failed; and they expect me to pay $45 service call.  Told them since it was installed by them, and is solid state unit, with no physical damage, only connected to their cable and signal; WHY should I pay for your "service call".  Told them if the bill me I will cancel ALL Comcast service.  They "made a special exception".

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile