EVGA

Experience with DSR and MFAA on 1080p monitor

Author
drmarc
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2015/02/01 17:42:05 (permalink)
I was hoping someone more experienced than I can teach me a bit more on how I should be optimizing my game settings with my GTX 970.

I've been experimenting with DSR and MFAA on a 1080p monitor as the title suggests.

My understanding of 4x DSR is that it is not quite as "true" to the visuals of a 4k monitor, but it is similar both in performance hit and in visualization when the pixels are compressed on a 1080p monitor.

As I experimented, I am obviously not able to max out ultra settings with max anti-aliasing and throw on 4x DSR without taking a large performance hit.  But then I played around with settings, IE I took anti-aliasing down and compared screen shots.  Unless my nose is right up to my monitor, I cannot tell the difference most of the time when at 4X DSR, whereas at 1080p the difference is quite obvious.  Is this because my monitor does not have the capability to show me the visual difference, or is the increased resolution negating the improvement seen with anti-aliasing?  I ask this because I can get decent performance and visual quality at 4x DSR with MFAA or other less intense anti-aliasing....this brings me to my next questions.

I understand MFAA is it's own anti-aliasing technology.  I see it being compared to MSAA in terms of turning on MSAA 2x and using MFAA to get the "visual quality of 4x MSAA" with less performance demand.  Does MFAA also work in conjunction with other types of anti-aliasing like TFAA?  Does it work with SSAO/SSBO?  Will MFAA enhance visuals when used alone?  Are there combinations of MFAA and "x" that I shouldn't use because it's either not enhancing visuals at all or utilizing more resources than necessary for little improvement in visuals?

Thank you in advance, hopefully someone understands my weird questions and can make some sense out of this.

Regards,
Marc

EVGA DG-87 Gaming Case, Intel I7 6800K OC'ed @4Ghz, Corsair hydro H115, EVGA X99 Classified, 1200W EVGA SuperNOVA platinum, MSI GTX 1080 Hybrid SeaHawk x 2 in SLI, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB), Samsung 850 Evo 2.5" 1TB, Asus ROG PG348Q.

1 Reply Related Threads

255killer
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 171
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Experience with DSR and MFAA on 1080p monitor 2015/02/01 18:41:24 (permalink)
    Higher the resolution the less need for anti aliasing. DSR does a good job with making a lower resolution screen appear to be of higher resolution. I find with DSR some anti-aliasing is needed but only when I can see line detail.(DSR native 1440p x2 @70hrz) MFAA is like MSAA but dynamic causing less of a performance hit. HBAO+ and MFAA yield the best visuals for performance. Between the two SSAO/SSBO I ever only use SSAO.

This is all what I find to work best with my setup so your results could differ.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile