Author
Spirit_Rises
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 242
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2016/05/29 07:53:44 (permalink)
Hi guys

I am between those cards and would you pleSe help me to pick one of them up?

Asrock has 12 phases 4 for dimms and 8 for cpu
Evga has 8 phases and all are dedicated to cpu

Asrock has 8+4 pin cpu power

Evga has 8 pins cpu power

If we look at those phase issue asus extreme v also has 8 phases

I dont know what to choose and what advantages and disadvantages are over each other.so please help me

Thx in advance
post edited by Spirit_Rises - 2016/05/29 09:59:49

12 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/29 12:08:10 (permalink)
    Its up to you.  Go with the board that best fits the looks of your build.  Those two boards look very similar in the spec sheets.  I will say, EVGA has the one up on everyone when it comes to Customer Service.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/29 13:20:40 (permalink)
    The ASROCK OC Formula is a motherboard designed for extreme overclocking. The FTW K motherboard is a motherboard that supports overclocking.
    If heavy overclocking is your goal, the OC Formula would most likely be the better choice. If you are a gamer and Internet user, but want to do some overclocking, the FTW K is a compelling choice.
    The FTW K sports the gaming oriented Killer LAN and USB 3.1 and both have a "Gen 3 x4" M.2 socket. The Formula has a second M.2 socket, but it is Gen 2. Neither has built-in WiFi.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102323
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/29 13:23:33 (permalink)
    If you should need service after the sale then EVGA should be your decision.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Spirit_Rises
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/29 13:46:47 (permalink)
    is there any benefit of having Asrock Oc over Evga FTW K just because of asrock got 4 more phases and 4 pins extra cpu power pins?do those things really matter ?really make difference?

i am just an ordinary overclocker.
    not a professional not an amateur just an ordinary overclocker.

i just change the multipliers and vcore and set some spesific voltages to static according to a guide(whoever publishes it like evga's x79 overclock guide)

Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/29 14:26:13 (permalink)
    Spirit_Rises
    is there any benefit of having Asrock Oc over Evga FTW K just because of asrock got 4 more phases and 4 pins extra cpu power pins?do those things really matter ?really make difference?

i am just an ordinary overclocker.
    not a professional not an amateur just an ordinary overclocker.

i just change the multipliers and vcore and set some spesific voltages to static according to a guide(whoever publishes it like evga's x79 overclock guide)

There is no realused advantage of the Formula's extra phases over the FTW K power unless you make use of them to OC like a fiend. The ASUS Rampage V Extreme has eight phase power and is a great overclocker. The FTW K will do well for your needs.
    As others have pointed out, EVGA will provide better customer service than other board makers.
    Spirit_Rises
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/29 20:03:04 (permalink)
    I wanted to see the cpu and memory support list on evga.com but the FTE K is not even on the list? Can i somsider the FTW over FTW K for the cpu and memory support?
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/29 23:38:25 (permalink)
    If you are interested in stable, long-term OC then hands down (& up!) pick EVGA. Over the years from my experience it's the only brand which consistently OC the best, while achieving best possible stability. Without any side effects.

For LN2 cooling yes, AsRock may offer some better results overall, but you cannot run system on day-to-day basis while cooling with LN2, or can you? ;)

And support and customer service on EVGA part is not by miles, but by galaxy length better.

As for built-in M.2 ports. I find them useless anyway as you cannot provide efficient cooling where matters. For AHCI drives it's no biggie, but for NVMe it's required. With recent announcement of Aquacomputer's kryoM.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter for M.2 NGFF PCIe SSD, M-Key with passive heatsink (http://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=3125&XTCsid=0l57nos702r0d5fj212b8jehp8j737r7) thats another matter entirely. Waterblock is overkill, but good chunky, universal, heatsink is perfect idea. Will get one or more as soon as there is availability and RD400 is in stock near me.

ValkyrieStar
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/30 06:23:13 (permalink)
    ypsylon
    If you are interested in stable, long-term OC then hands down (& up!) pick EVGA. Over the years from my experience it's the only brand which consistently OC the best, while achieving best possible stability. Without any side effects.

For LN2 cooling yes, AsRock may offer some better results overall, but you cannot run system on day-to-day basis while cooling with LN2, or can you? ;)

And support and customer service on EVGA part is not by miles, but by galaxy length better.

As for built-in M.2 ports. I find them useless anyway as you cannot provide efficient cooling where matters. For AHCI drives it's no biggie, but for NVMe it's required. With recent announcement of Aquacomputer's kryoM.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter for M.2 NGFF PCIe SSD, M-Key with passive heatsink (http://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=3125&XTCsid=0l57nos702r0d5fj212b8jehp8j737r7) thats another matter entirely. Waterblock is overkill, but good chunky, universal, heatsink is perfect idea. Will get one or more as soon as there is availability and RD400 is in stock near me.

I had an 850 EVO in my Z97's M.2 slot, it was only a 2.0 x2 slot so not really worth much else at the time, though i do wish i'd splashed out on a 950 pro to begin with.
    The 850 EVO drive had 0 issues with heat, and neither does my spare PC's SM951 AHCI drive, even though it does heat up a bit when its busy, it got nowhere near as hot as my 950 Pro.
    Those adapters look alright, the watercooling is outright overkill. I swapped to and now currently use an Angelbird Wings PX1, for both the SM951 and the 950 Pro, it keeps the temps way below even close to throttling. And even while deliberately Write-IO stressing the drive, it didnt get close to throttling. And what's better, is that my spare pc has a low profile case, so the low profile bracket of the Wings PX1 makes it a much better option for me. And it looks nicer ;)

Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/30 06:33:43 (permalink)
    Spirit_Rises
    I wanted to see the cpu and memory support list on evga.com but the FTE K is not even on the list? Can i somsider the FTW over FTW K for the cpu and memory support?

Go here: http://www.evga.com/support/custsupp.asp  The offices are closed today for Memorial Day, but otherwise, I have contacted EVGA for everything from tech support to newbie questions using this method and have received quick, correct and easy to understand responses. Type, X99 FTW K P/N: 151-BE-E097-KR, in the subject line to ensure accuracy.

ypsylon
    1) If you are interested in stable, long-term OC then hands down (& up!) pick EVGA. Over the years from my experience it's the only brand which consistently OC the best, while achieving best possible stability. Without any side effects.

1a) For LN2 cooling yes, AsRock may offer some better results overall, but you cannot run system on day-to-day basis while cooling with LN2, or can you? ;)

2) And support and customer service on EVGA part is not by miles, but by galaxy length better.

3) As for built-in M.2 ports. I find them useless anyway as you cannot provide efficient cooling where matters. For AHCI drives it's no biggie, but for NVMe it's required. With recent announcement of Aquacomputer's kryoM.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter for M.2 NGFF PCIe SSD, M-Key with passive heatsink (http://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=3125&XTCsid=0l57nos702r0d5fj212b8jehp8j737r7) thats another matter entirely. Waterblock is overkill, but good chunky, universal, heatsink is perfect idea. Will get one or more as soon as there is availability and RD400 is in stock near me.

1) No argument here!

1a) He doesn't extreme OC using LN2, so this really isn't relevant.  My water cooled Z77 OC Formula was bulletproof. 24/7 overclocking for over 2 years and ran perfectly when I sold it.

2) "And support and customer service on EVGA part is not by miles, but by galaxy length better."  <= THIS!   One of the most important considerations!
    Support in my experience: ASUS = ASRock = MSI = Gigabyte =   EVGA = Seriously, that much of a difference.

3) Especially concerning this commentary - "As for built-in M.2 ports. I find them useless anyway as you cannot provide efficient cooling where matters. For AHCI drives it's no biggie, but for NVMe it's required." - I mostly disagree with it. Having read reviews and overviews of these drives, this concerned me when I purchased my SM951 512GB. I do not punish my drive the way the review sites do with their test suites, but to be safe, did use an extra fan to direct air over the drive. This drive it still works just fine to this day. My newer 950 Pro 512GB has no issue at all.
    These drives are used in laptops with cramped spaces with no direct cooling in most cases and I have yet to read a single review of this being a problem by reviewers or customers. Some of the high performance gaming laptops get very warm to the touch, if not plain and simply hot, yet these drives are employed liberally within these units. I feel your claim is a bit alarmist and misleading.

ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/30 12:38:48 (permalink)
    Lack of thermal throttling doesn't mean that it's good for a drive controller to operate at 70-75C during intensive operation (talking 950 Pro now). It's bonkers! Without any radiator or airflow? If 750 can stay in reasonable 40C range, so should 950P and others. Lower the temps, better longevity and trouble free work. Argument about M.2 being used in laptops. Sure they are, but nobody is running VMs server or video capturing workstation with a laptop for crying out loud. That kind of temperature is domain of uncooled RAID controllers, which you can fry in no time at all. Speaking from experience where controller shouldn't operate at temps over 50C - and it's way more expensive and complicated piece of kit than simple M.2 drive. But controllers draw about 3x more power than NVMe drive. 6W vs 15-17W. IMHO it's downright dumb on Samsung part. 

If you think that my opinion is misleading or wrong that's your right. I'm not Darth Vader, won't choke you to death because you don't agree with me and my M.2 experience. I will never recommend to anyone using naked M.2 NVMe, under any circumstances.

My primary gripe with M.2 as a standard is illustrated by z170 boards. I just ROFLing at models with 3 M.2 ports where you have to literally disable 50% of board functionality to run them. Pure comedy. Instead wasting time with flat-motherboard M.2 manufacturers should add more SFF-8639 full specs connectors. I don't get it why each port supports only 1 drive. Like any HD-SAS type connector its designed to easily run 4 drives, yet vendors can't be bothered to create x16 link for it and supply proper cables. For a gamer with one M.2 SSD in the system its enough, but I'm not an avid gamer.  For serious work its laughable at best. I could utilize 4 or 8xNVMe running of the motherboard for VMs or databases. Unfortunately I can't. Vendors stuff motherboards with many slots for 2/3/4 SLI/CF ignoring completely users who don't care one iota about that functionality and would love to see multiple SFF-8639, x16 PCIe cards for quad NVMe instead. Someday perhaps... before I get too old for this stuff...
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/30 15:37:23 (permalink)
    ypsylon
    Lack of thermal throttling doesn't mean that it's good for a drive controller to operate at 70-75C during intensive operation (talking 950 Pro now). It's bonkers! Without any radiator or airflow? If 750 can stay in reasonable 40C range, so should 950P and others. Lower the temps, better longevity and trouble free work. Argument about M.2 being used in laptops. Sure they are, but nobody is running VMs server or video capturing workstation with a laptop for crying out loud. That kind of temperature is domain of uncooled RAID controllers, which you can fry in no time at all. Speaking from experience where controller shouldn't operate at temps over 50C - and it's way more expensive and complicated piece of kit than simple M.2 drive. But controllers draw about 3x more power than NVMe drive. 6W vs 15-17W. IMHO it's downright dumb on Samsung part. 

If you think that my opinion is misleading or wrong that's your right. I'm not Darth Vader, won't choke you to death because you don't agree with me and my M.2 experience. I will never recommend to anyone using naked M.2 NVMe, under any circumstances.

My primary gripe with M.2 as a standard is illustrated by z170 boards. I just ROFLing at models with 3 M.2 ports where you have to literally disable 50% of board functionality to run them. Pure comedy. Instead wasting time with flat-motherboard M.2 manufacturers should add more SFF-8639 full specs connectors. I don't get it why each port supports only 1 drive. Like any HD-SAS type connector its designed to easily run 4 drives, yet vendors can't be bothered to create x16 link for it and supply proper cables. For a gamer with one M.2 SSD in the system its enough, but I'm not an avid gamer.  For serious work its laughable at best. I could utilize 4 or 8xNVMe running of the motherboard for VMs or databases. Unfortunately I can't. Vendors stuff motherboards with many slots for 2/3/4 SLI/CF ignoring completely users who don't care one iota about that functionality and would love to see multiple SFF-8639, x16 PCIe cards for quad NVMe instead. Someday perhaps... before I get too old for this stuff...

I give you the nod to drive controllers operating at upwards of 75°C. This is one reason I don't completely disagree with your thoughts on M.2 SSDs. They should have some cooling, but that doesn't preclude them from use.
    The laptop application is much less forgiving than an average PC case. Even if one is not pounding the drive with data load, the heat caused by the neighboring components drives temperatures up and keeps them up. The idea is much the same; they are still working under high heat stress circumstances, which should result in malfunction, life-span reduction and/or complete failure. No argument intended, I would have thought the heat would kill them in short order.  It doesn't seem to be what happens though.

Moving along to your point about SFF-8639: "I don't get it why each port supports only 1 drive. Like any HD-SAS type connector its designed to easily run 4 drives, yet vendors can't be bothered to create x16 link for it and supply proper cables." You echo my thoughts exactly.  SATA Express connectors are STILL making their way on to motherboards, you know... go figure.

Two things that gave me a good chuckle:
    If you think that my opinion is misleading or wrong that's your right. I'm not Darth Vader, won't choke you to death because you don't agree with me and my M.2 experience.
    My primary gripe with M.2 as a standard is illustrated by z170 boards. I just ROFLing at models with 3 M.2 ports where you have to literally disable 50% of board functionality to run them.

It's nice to have a "conversation" containing opposing viewpoints without degrading to a social media type tantrum.  
    It's obvious since I don't see things all your way, I MUST hate you. Oh boy! </sar>

Looking at the Z170 and the X99 refreshes from other makers, the feature list that share board functionality can get to the point of idiotic.  Choice is good, but tossing your money out the window for features you can never use makes no sense. Choice to me is something to effect of: M.2 socket or a U.2 socket - the M.2 Key E (X99 Classified) for my choice of wireless adapter brand, or none at all... this sort of idea.

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Evga x99 FTW K or Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 2016/05/30 16:55:24 (permalink)
    The biggest advantage for normal people is X Socket on ASRock.
    Other settings designed for OC 99% will not use.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile