EVGA

Evga 1080 ftw hybrid water cooler fan placement options for a v51 thermaltake?

Author
markm75
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/09/27 14:12:09 (permalink)
I'm awaiting the 08G-P4-6288-KR whenever it finally gets in stock, but i'm curious.. where does everyone place their fans..

Mine case is the v51 and i have one single front 120mm pulling air in, another pushing it out in the back top.. as well as the exhaust going through the radiator up top over the TT 360 Riing.

I have room in the front behind the drive cage and down below on the base of the case for 120mm fans.

I'm guessing for a single 1080, i'd probably mount the fan on the bottom in a "pull" upward?  What about the case of having two of these, perhaps just two in the bottom pulling air in, or maybe putting one in the bottom and another in the front, front being pull in as well?  Still going with the negative pressure idea.

Curious thoughts on placement of one if not two of these (thinking sli within a year, so trying to place accordingly now).

Thanks in advance

3 Replies Related Threads

hehehippie
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re: Evga 1080 ftw hybrid water cooler fan placement options for a v51 thermaltake? 2016/09/27 19:08:13 (permalink)
    i have my radiator mounted where the original 140mm exhaust fan was in the top back.

for SLI, i would get a little more creative. i, personally, wouldn't mount the radiator as an intake because u won't be pulling in as much air.

Snow White: NZXT Switch 810 case, Intel 6700k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Z170 Deluxe MoBo, NZXT Kraken x61, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000 with Light Bar Kit, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, SeaSonic Snow Silent 750w PSU, Windows 10 Pro, (4) Noctua fans, Dell U3415W Ultrawide Monitor @ 80Hz, Corsair Strafe RGB Silent, Corsair SP2500 2.1 System, White CableMod Kit, EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid - EK Vardar F4-120ER (black cable) on the radiator
    MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 343
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Evga 1080 ftw hybrid water cooler fan placement options for a v51 thermaltake? 2016/09/27 22:52:53 (permalink)
    I wouldn't mount it in the bottom you want to mount the radiator above the gpu. If you are mounting it on the front or back try to have the hoses at the bottom. If you mount the radiator below the gpu any air bubbles in the system will settle at the top which would be the water block and positioning the hoses at the top if there is too much air in the system it could prevent fluid from circulating properly. You also want to blow the hot air from the radiator out of the case. Some people will argue otherwise but as they think pulling cold air from outside is better but since you are water cooling the air inside the case is almost as cool as it is outside unless you are blowing hot air into it.
    markm75
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Evga 1080 ftw hybrid water cooler fan placement options for a v51 thermaltake? 2016/09/28 06:28:37 (permalink)
    MikeBGeyer
    I wouldn't mount it in the bottom you want to mount the radiator above the gpu. If you are mounting it on the front or back try to have the hoses at the bottom. If you mount the radiator below the gpu any air bubbles in the system will settle at the top which would be the water block and positioning the hoses at the top if there is too much air in the system it could prevent fluid from circulating properly. You also want to blow the hot air from the radiator out of the case. Some people will argue otherwise but as they think pulling cold air from outside is better but since you are water cooling the air inside the case is almost as cool as it is outside unless you are blowing hot air into it.

Thanks for the tips guys.. I hadnt thought about the issue with going below.. so i guess ill basically have 1 of 3 options.. i can remove the top back outgoing fan and put the gpu fan there instead.. possibly fit it above my optical drive next to the 360mm thermaltake up top of the case (highly doubt).. or.. put both (when i do eventually do sli) or one of the gpu fans in the front of the case.. blowing outward..  if i do the front of the case.. im guessing it may make sense to reverse the existing front case fan to blow outward and make the rear top fan pull inward.. so flow from back to front instead of front to back.. otherwise i'd have one pulling in the front, with one to two gpu fans going the other way blowing out hot air that would basically get pulled back in.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile