Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging

Author
Brelaine
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/07/26 17:19:09 (permalink)
Hello,

My system has been randomly hanging and giving me the following error in Event Viewer:
Event ID: 129
Source: nvstor64
Details: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued

This problem is intermittent, for example it didn't happen at all yesterday but today when I started up my machine it started after a couple of minutes and my system was hung up for 2 hours. I actually forgot about it until trying to use it again and then seeing the Event 129 repeated in the Event Viewer.

There is no consistency in what I am doing when this happens. It was idle as it did it today, two days ago it started while I was playing a game, and the day before that while I was just web surfing. 

It has worked fine for up to 2 weeks at a time and also been unusable for long periods of time, sometimes it is every other day.

The first time I saw this happening was in December. I actually stopped using this computer because I just assumed the motherboard was bad after trying to fix it then. Recently I decided to try and troubleshoot it again and searching google for the event id and details as shown me that many people have this issue, I was not able to find a solution though. This made me think it is less likely a hardware issue.

Here is my System Information:

Manufacturer: Alienware
Motherboard: Nvidia nForce 680i SLI (Revision A2)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz
Memory x4: PDP Systems, PEP21G6400LL, 1024 MBytes, DDR2, 400MHz (DDR2 800), Supported Frequencies: 200, 266.7, 400 MHz
Video x2: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 896 MBytes
Sound: Integrated Realtek
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7500 ST3500630AS 500 GB
DVD Writer: Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A
Cooling: Liquid

Things I have tried:

Reinstalling Windows: (4-5 times at this point)
Switching Hard Drives: I had upgraded to a velociraptor, I put my old Seagate HD back in and have the same problem with both drives.
Ran HD Utility from Manufacturer: I ran the HD check from Seagate and Western Digital, both drives came up ok. I 0'ed out both drives before installing Windows
Ran Memtest: Memory checked out ok
Updated Firmware on Seagate Drive
Updated Bios: I had to upgrade from Alienware's site since they change the ID of the MB, upgraded to version P32
Not Updating Drivers: Turned off Windows Update and did not install any drivers on fresh windows install, problem still occurred
Updated all Drivers: I am currently running all the latest drivers available from evga.com and nvidia and alienware
Check all Connections: I opened up my machine and checked all connections inside

Currently all my drivers are the latest I could download and my bios is in the default settings. 

I am really at the end of my rope. This machine is a couple of years old but was a big investment when I bought it and is still a great computer. I really want to be sure what the issue is before replacing any hardware.

Thanks for reading this wall of text and please let me know if you need any additional information,
Bre

15 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/26 20:40:01 (permalink)
    Hello, and welcome to the Evga forums. Can you tell me if the setting in the Bios for your Hard Drive is set to IDE, ACHI, or Raid?

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Brelaine
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/27 11:56:41 (permalink)
    Hello and thanks :)

I am not sure where to find this setting.

I see that RAID Config is disabled. And I see no mention of ACHI anywhere. I see IDE Function Setup under Integrated Peripherals.

If there is somewhere else I should be looking let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bre
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/27 19:18:33 (permalink)
    Brelaine

Hello and thanks :)

I am not sure where to find this setting.

I see that RAID Config is disabled. And I see no mention of ACHI anywhere. I see IDE Function Setup under Integrated Peripherals.

If there is somewhere else I should be looking let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bre

Wanted to make sure raid was disabled, Good! If the hard drive is Sata, make sure it's Sata in the Bios. Make sure the first boot device is the hard drive. Also make sure the firmware on the drive is updated. One more thing. Check to see if "Command Queuing" is enabled. If it's enabled, try disabling it. Here's a sample pic to help guide you on that:

post edited by XrayMan - 2010/07/27 19:42:24

&nbsp
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/27 20:34:51 (permalink)
    ahci is not supported on the 680 boards. Try uninstalling the nvida storage drivers and use the default windows ones. also some have reported that a dying PSU, optical or hard drive can cause this error. it is a general storage error that will be related to either the drivers or failing hardware. unfortunately microsoft does not diagnose it much further than a general fault
    here is a link to eventid.net that kinda covers it some. http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=129&eventno=9354&source=nvstor64&phase=1
    if i had to make a wild guess i would say it's the HD going bad, but try the drivers first. to use the default windows drivers just uninstall the nforce drivers and clean with driver sweeper, then reboot and let windows install the windows drivers. let us know if that helps

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/27 20:42:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Quadlatte! One more suggestion is to try that hard drive in another computer so you can rule that out. (Troubleshooting ain't easy sometimes, I know)  :/

&nbsp
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/27 20:49:51 (permalink)
    XrayMan

Thanks Quadlatte! One more suggestion is to try that hard drive in another computer so you can rule that out. (Troubleshooting ain't easy sometimes, I know)  :/

thats the truth, i spent 8hrs one time trouble shooting only to find out i had a bad ide ribbon cable.

Brelaine
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/27 23:18:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the help :)

Quadlatte:

Thanks for your reply. I've tried multiple drives so I am fairly sure the drives are ok. I'll see if my brother will let me pop one of them in his machine to see what happens. I initially thought it was the disk, I just think the chances of two failing in the same exact way is pretty slim but with my luck who knows? I also had the DVD drive completely disconnected until I needed it to flash the bios so I can rule that one out as well. I am not sure how I can test the power supply beyond getting a new one? Maybe I can bug my brother to help me out there as well heh.

I've also tried a fresh install of windows and not letting any other drivers on the machine and it will still eventually start hanging. When I installed all the new drivers I went through with driver sweeper and all the things you are supposed to to install them correctly.

It has been very temperamental today and now I am getting disk errors so I am running chkdisk. This is usually around when I have to reinstall windows :( I never know if this is part of the problem or a result of the machine crashing and hanging so much that something gets messed up.

Event ID 55
    NTFS
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolume1

*sigh* 

XrayMan:

I did as you suggested and set the HD as the primary boot device and disabled Command Queueing. I updated the firmware on the drive a couple of days ago. Thank you for the detailed instructions.

As you can see from above it has been difficult for me to see if this did anything since the computer has only booted up a couple of times today :\

I really do appreciate all the help, I hope my frustration is taken for what it is, at this machine and not at anyone offering help!
    Bre

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/27 23:26:58 (permalink)
    We all can understand your frustration. You have done so many things to try and solve it. I still have faith that you'll figure out the problem. I have to go for the night. Take care, and good luck with everything.

&nbsp
    Diff_1
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4959
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/28 09:32:58 (permalink)
    Hi Bre and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried a new SATA cable for the hard drive?
    Also maybe try moving the cable/drive to a whole new SATA controller.
    Here is a pic showing which ports are on which controller.

Also see that is an Alienware system, and their systems are almost always factory overclocked.
    Run CPU-Z and see what it is saying for core speed and multiplier on the CPU for us. OH and when INSTALLING the CPU-Z be sure to watch and uncheck the ask.com toolbar and other thing. Good program (CPU-Z) but they are getting a little whacked as to who they are partnering with if you ask me. LOL
    If your system is overclocked it may just be something is getting weaker with age and just can not handle the overclock any more without some tweaking.

post edited by Diff_1 - 2010/07/28 09:40:34

Attached Image(s)

EVGA x58 E758 BIOS 83, i7 920 C0 @ 3.3GHZ, Corsair 750TX, EVGA GTX 480 HC FTW 11th anniversary prize THX EVGA, OCZ3P1600LV6GK, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 120GB, Logitech X-540 5.1, LG W2453V, Swiftech H20-220-Ultra-GT WC kit with XSPC rx360, Windows 7 pro 64 bit OEM
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/28 16:34:27 (permalink)
    try using your brothers PSU and try the disk in his machine, install windows to your disk in his machine if he will let you and then you can tell if the errors start there also, if they do then it's the drive. If you can do that and all checks out good and it does it on all the SATA ports then i would lean to the board going bad.

Brelaine
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/29 11:43:25 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to bug my brother this weekend to help me out trying all of these things.

I installed CPU-Z as well:
    Core Speed: 2000MHz
    Multiplier: x6.0

I will let you know how it goes,
    Bre

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/07/29 21:30:20 (permalink)
    Brelaine

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to bug my brother this weekend to help me out trying all of these things.

I installed CPU-Z as well:
    Core Speed: 2000MHz
    Multiplier: x6.0

I will let you know how it goes,
    Bre

Alright! Post back here again, and give us an update.

&nbsp
    eliastech
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2010/12/30 06:41:45 (permalink)
    I was having similar issues with my 780i. For me the fix seems to have been changing Windows Power Option settings. In High Performance "advanced mode" I changed Harddisk to turn off "never". I also did the same for USB.

Hopefully, I can get another 6 months to a year of active gaming use with this motherboard.

eVGA 780i SLI MCP 132-CK-NF78-A1 - Production 04
    Intel Q6600
    8GB OCZ SLI PC2 6400 OCZ2N800SR4GK
    HIS Radeon HD 4870 512.
    700W OCZGXS700
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    B0bbyP
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2019/03/28 06:40:47 (permalink)

SOLVED!!!!!

I know this thread is wicked old but this issue has plagued me for a very long time and I have

finally fixed it across all platforms and for all Hardware!!!

I am posting this fix because there is absolutely no legitimate fix on the entire web that is a

true fix and to help anyone else having this annoying issue; especially gamers and NVIDIA MOBO and

Graphic Card owners, so here it is (FINALLY!!!):

EventID - 129
    Source nvstor, nvstor32, nvstor64
    Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued (this is one of many messages you may receive)

If for any reason the Registry entries below for the fix don't match your system, search the

registry for nvstor and the "like" keys on your own system

The fix is in 3 places on my system so navigate to each one, one at a time

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_037F&SUBSYS_C55E10DE&REV_A2\3&2411e6fe&1&70

You will see a Sub Key named "Properties" which should throw an inaccessible permissions error,

take Ownership of it and give your account FULL ACCESS only for that key but uncheck subcontainers

and objects

Do the same for the following 2 locations (you may want to search to see if you have additional,

similar keys but I only had 3 total):

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet003\Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_037F&SUBSYS_C55E10DE&REV_A2\3&2411e6fe&1&70

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet004\Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_037F&SUBSYS_C55E10DE&REV_A2\3&2411e6fe&1&70

You may or may not have to reboot

After you do this and recheck the keys you will see that they have populated the subkeys with LOTS

and LOTS of New Data!!!!!

That's it, FIXED! You will not have access permissions to any of those keys but that is fine.

I have also found that in the nvraid.inf config file it there is an explicit permission for

"Administrator" (; allow access from system and administrator only); whether or not you have

access to the "Properties" key under the Administrator Account is irrelevant, the issue will not

be fixed unless you follow my steps above.

I really hope this helps a lot of other people because this issue was a doozy!!!!!

Best of luck!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Event ID 129 nvstor64 and System Hanging 2019/03/28 12:00:19 (permalink)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile