Ergonomic furnishings for limited mobility, non-profit

Author
knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9430
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2015/05/19 05:16:15 (permalink)
I've had this idea for the past few years, after the fact I hurt my back/neck.  For Ergonomic furnishings/custom tailored clothing,  for limited mobility, non-profit. Such as Wounded Soldiers, adults or kids with limited mobility, such as wheelchair, parkinsons, DDD(degenerative disc disease), fibromyalgia, muscular dystrophy, and so on.

I'm not sure about the legal stuff, and how to pay for product, I'd be doing the work myself, but it seems most couldn't even afford the cost of the product "me doing the projects at cost, no charge for labor". And if I'd have to have an OT(ocupational therapist) to pass off on things or if I'd have to be a licensed contractor or not.

I can do a lot of the projects myself, from the sewing, upholstery, Wood/hardwood working, I've got a few years metal fab under my belt, 20 years as a cook, 15 years being a unpaid caregiver, and I have no idea where to start. Last time I looked into this, didn't even have a local unpaid caregiver groups "like some kind of users group".

I've been seeing more and more wounded soldiers tv commercials, and makes me sick that our service men and women have such a difficult time with things that could make their life abit less complicated. That the gov just doesn't have the funds set aside. I'm up to date on some me ADA rules, but that's something eels I'd have to check into.

Sorry for my unrighteous grammar.  Just some feedback here, thx.
post edited by knightsilver - 2015/05/19 05:22:24

5 Replies Related Threads

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Ergonomic furnishings for limited mobility, non-profit 2015/05/20 14:33:17 (permalink)
    That's a great idea and I think you've identified an area a lot of people could benefit from. I'm with you though, I have no idea how to start something like this because it would take a cooperative effort with a business or organization to provide resources and advertising of some sort to get the word out.

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Ergonomic furnishings for limited mobility, non-profit 2015/05/20 15:33:56 (permalink)
    I'm sure location has or would have something's to do with this idea too.  Diff felt like Texas, Idaho and Washington had a lot better state laws/regulations, you'll think Arkansas having a decent economy vs other states you'll have less state overhead bogusness...
    rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Ergonomic furnishings for limited mobility, non-profit 2015/05/21 12:16:33 (permalink)
    It sounds like a lot of research is needed to find all the information needed to get something like this started. It definitely makes me rethink about where businesses are located and what laws, regulations, taxes, etc. they have to consider before setting up base somewhere.

I guess the first thing or one of the first things to do would be start researching the laws and/or regulations in your area and go from there. At least you've identified a starting point, and that's difficult for a multi-part effort like you've described.

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Ergonomic furnishings for limited mobility, non-profit 2015/05/21 12:25:34 (permalink)
    Yep, it's like, they don't want small businesses to succeed these days....
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Ergonomic furnishings for limited mobility, non-profit 2015/05/29 18:44:10 (permalink)
    Thoughts? About the projects for wounded soldiers, dose any military forum members know if other wounded soldiers charities are legit, from what I've read, only like 50% of funds go to the soldiers.  

One of the ideas I've had soldier or not, say someone in a chair(not just soldiers), building the custom one of desk at proper ergonomic per that individual. And also building a custom themed system. Having proper positioning off the keyboard, monitor, mouse, controller....

And, like myself, ill be building that stand-up desk, and custom standing stool when I need to take off the pressure off my legs.

Thoughts?

K'

post edited by knightsilver - 2015/05/29 18:53:06
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile