EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 26
Author
Crusheddream
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1985
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 12
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/03 22:01:43 (permalink)
I've come to the conclusion your issues will not be fixed so..... I guess you better upgrade to the P67 and stop wasting your energy typing in here.  I myself feel a little ripped off by the fact my system  isn't even 6 months old yet and its EOL apparently Classified3 if you are going to EOL something why release a board to sell for 6 months and then say oops sorry we can't give you updated RAID ROMs and No you can't have UEFI BIOS there just isnt enough room.  Why didn't you guys include a larger BIOS chip on the classified3 i mean I did pay 380 dollars for this motherboard expecting it to be high end..... As far as graphics cards go you guys are great (Evga) nothing but a good experience with the step up and Mike is awesome when it comes to customer service but the motherboard department is dropping the ball here. 

martigen
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/03 22:43:19 (permalink)
====================
1. What are the main issues you have with your X58 Board that could be rectified with a bios update.
2. Are there additional controllers that you feel require a ROM update due to instability with that controller.
3. What are the main issues you have as a customer of EVGA with its customer service.
====================

1. Double-pump/hard reset with Intel Virtualisation enabled in the BIOS -- shortening lifespan of components when soft-rebooting. There's no reason for it, and no other motherboard on the market does it. Mobo: Classified 3 with BIOS 770.
2. For me personally, no.
3. New EVGA user here, have yet to see any official EVGA response to the reported issues. Placed a support ticket, had no response.  

post edited by martigen - 2011/02/03 22:45:31
MvdL79
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 550
Wake up EVGA, you are going to lose customers! 2011/02/04 00:00:35 (permalink)
Crusheddream
I've come to the conclusion your issues will not be fixed so..... I guess you better upgrade to the P67 and stop wasting your energy typing in here.  I myself feel a little ripped off by the fact my system  isn't even 6 months old yet and its EOL apparently Classified3 if you are going to EOL something why release a board to sell for 6 months and then say oops sorry we can't give you updated RAID ROMs and No you can't have UEFI BIOS there just isnt enough room.  Why didn't you guys include a larger BIOS chip on the classified3 i mean I did pay 380 dollars for this motherboard expecting it to be high end..... As far as graphics cards go you guys are great (Evga) nothing but a good experience with the step up and Mike is awesome when it comes to customer service but the motherboard department is dropping the ball here. 

If EVGA doesn't fix this and states the X58 is EOL (while it's still selling them for a hefty price in the online shop), I will never ever buy any products carrying the EVGA logo (or is in some way affiliated to EVGA). I will also post reviews and experiences to all major forums, computernews sites and review websites.

When you pay a lot of money for your rig (others more than I did), you should expect the best support out there. Especially when ROM's (on the bios) are over 2 years old. What kind of "intelligent innovation" is that? Nothing intelligent about it, let alone an innovation. Sheesh.

EVGA is going to end like Abit & DFI; great at first, a disaster in the end...

EVGA used to be a great company (I've been a customer since early 2005). But after 2017 it went completely downhill. EVGA doesn't treat customers as customers, but as complete idiots! I used to own over 30 EVGA products (videocards, motherboards, PSU's and so on). Not anymore. #evga #pathetic
Topboy007
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:Wake up EVGA, you are going to lose customers! 2011/02/04 01:35:50 (permalink)
All
This is a copy of the message i just sent to EVGA from us all

Dear EVGA
I thought it would be helpful to EVGA if we collated most of the issues the customers of X58 boards are having and put this into a single message to you all at EVGA.
I have stated that i will ask EVGA to respond back using the forum thread created by EVGA_JacobF for the X58 bios 78 update (permalink - http://forums.evga.com/fb.ashx?m=827228 )

I asked the following 2 questions :-
1. What are the main issues you have with your X58 Board that could be rectified with a bios update. 
2. Are there additional controllers that you feel require a ROM update due to instability with that controller.

These are the replies i got back from the users with the issues they would like to see in a bios update sometime soon :-
1. Broken C6 and HPET causing high DPC and ISR latencies. 
2. S3 mode not always wakeup monitor, after wakeup, fans do not change rpm in smart mode.
3. Double pump issue when resetting CMOS.
4. Speedstep : downclock CPU Mhz is OK but CPU vCore doesn't change.
5. Double-pump/hard reset with Intel Virtualisation enabled in the BIOS.
6. Intel RAID ROM Needs updating to latest ROM. If not possible because of BIOS size, replace bios chip for larger size and send to customers.
7. Marvell Sata 3 Bios needs updating to latest to fix RAID & NON RAID speed issues.
8. JMicron ROM needs updating to latest ROM.
9. Phoenix ACHI ROM needs updating to latest if available.

Please could you comment next to each problem with an EVGA statement letting the customers know about a fix and if so an ETA to the fix.

I then asked the following question :-
3. What are the main issues you have as a customer of EVGA with its customer service.

The general census was that EVGA customer support used to be excellent. 
However recently this has changed and the general census is customers feel let down for the following reasons :-
1. Poor communications to end users in a timely fashion.
2. Lack of frequent BIOS updates for premium motherboards.

There is also a feeling that the recently released E770 X58 Classified 3 board is now seen by EVGA as End of Life and that it will NOT be receiving future updates. Please can you comment on this theory with an official EVGA statement.

I hope you find this information helpful and will ensure that EVGA communicate back to it's customers on the above issues as requested in a good timely fashion.

Regards
Paul North (Forum name Topboy007)
Sent to the following EVGA Employees via EVGA forum private message at 09.52am on Friday 4th February 2011.
EVGA_JacobF, EVGA_ShannonR, EVGA_NickM, EVGA_WShelley, EVGA_Marketing
Posted on http://forums.evga.com/fb.ashx?m=834802 at 09.53am on Friday 4th February 2011.

Lets wait and see
Topboy
post edited by Topboy007 - 2011/02/04 02:00:56

Intel Core i7 980x Cooled with Corsair H70
6Gb Corsair Dominator 2000Mhz GT DDR3
EVGA X58 Classified 3 E770 
3 EVGA GTX 580 SC in 3 way SLI
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case 
3 Acer GD245HQ 3D Vision Ready in 3 way surround with Nvidia 3D Vision
MvdL79
SSC Member
Re:Wake up EVGA, you are going to lose customers! 2011/02/04 02:26:07 (permalink)
Excellent work Topboy007!!

Let's see of EVGA can live up to their (old) reputation, otherwise I won't be looking for EVGA products in my next build. Nor will I recommend it to anyone I know...

Edit:

Regarding:
6. Intel RAID ROM Needs updating to latest ROM. If not possible because of BIOS size, replace bios chip for larger size and send to customers.

Reprogramming the bios to use the space available should also be an option according to dejanh. The chip has enough space to accomodate higher ROM's, but they need to respace it or something and move stuff around. But it should be possible with the current bios chip though...
post edited by MvdL79 - 2011/02/04 04:27:59

EVGA used to be a great company (I've been a customer since early 2005). But after 2017 it went completely downhill. EVGA doesn't treat customers as customers, but as complete idiots! I used to own over 30 EVGA products (videocards, motherboards, PSU's and so on). Not anymore. #evga #pathetic
Yaboze
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 06:26:12 (permalink)
My main issue with this board is the double-pump on VT. I did notice the high latency with HPET x64 on , so I have it off for now, but I'm not 100% sure I understand what that all means.

I hear to keep it off and that in a single card set up, it can be faster, but with SLI, keep it off. I understand it's a system timer thing, but my system feels faster with it off, videos play just fine, etc.

I am just really upset that this board hasn't had many BIOS updates lately and we finally get 78 and it's a ROM update. That's great and all, but there are other issues I'm sure.

With the Sandy Bridge recall many are sticking to their X58 boards which are still awesome, IMHO. I'm not ready to upgrade yet, maybe in 2012. Anyway, I have posted about this so many times and even had people copy my post with a +1, etc. What did that do? Not a darn thing.

This has been a complained about problem for so long I can only guess the following:

1. EVGA doesn't know how to fix it on their boards.
2. EVGA doesn't have the resources or knowhow to really troubleshoot it (Call Intel?).
3. EVGA doesn't care and figures all the enthusiasts here will just get the next MB.
post edited by Yaboze - 2011/02/04 06:29:15

Intel i7 960 ∙ EVGA X58 X3 SLI ∙ 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 ∙ nVidia GTX 770 ∙ Intel 520 SSD ∙ Dell 2407WFP ∙ Corsair HX 1KW ∙ Windows 8.1 Pro
MvdL79
SSC Member
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 06:34:37 (permalink)
A ROM update (from 8.0) to 8.5 isn't really an update, since that ROM is also at least 2 years old!
So it was better not to update it all...

Oh and as for your point #3; in case EVGA really thinks X58 is EOL and thinks we will upgrade, then I can be short on that; I will, but it won't be EVGA anymore.

ronnieb555
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 193
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 06:39:13 (permalink)
Is there a way to change my PCIe voltage with this BIOS version on a EVGA X58 SLi 132-BL-E758? Or will that feature ever be added?

PC Specs:
Core i7 6700k @ 4.5ghz
Corsair H100i
ASUS Z170I Pro
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
HyperX Fury 16GB 2400mhz
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
2TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Evga SuperNova 850w P2
Phanteks Evolv ITX
Dell 27" S2716DG - GSYNC - 1440p - 144hz
Asus 24" - 1080p
henryvits
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 141
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 09:34:45 (permalink)
Regarding the X58 chipset being EOL:

Intel itself just recently released an updated version of its original DX58SO motherboard, the DX58SO2. They also released the new DX58OG late last year. Both new boards have a Marvell SATA 6 controller as well as third-party USB 3. According to Intel's website, expected discontinuance of these boards is 2012. So, I'd say there's still some life left in the X58 chipset ;)
pcdoctr
  • Total Posts : 39
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 10:15:30 (permalink)
MvdL79

A ROM update (from 8.0) to 8.5 isn't really an update, since that ROM is also at least 2 years old!
So it was better not to update it all...

Oh and as for your point #3; in case EVGA really thinks X58 is EOL and thinks we will upgrade, then I can be short on that; I will, but it won't be EVGA anymore.

Well said. I think End Of Life will be applied to EVGA as a company as I look to Asus or maybe Gigabyte for my next board.  RIP  Abit, DFI, EVGA.

ASUS Rampage V Extreme (1401 BIOS) | Core i7-5930K @ 4.375GHz | Corsair 600T | G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (4x8GB) 2666MHz | Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD | GELID GC-Extreme TIM | 4x Samsung 850 EVOs RAID 0 | eVGA SuperNova P2 1200 | Sony Blu-ray Burner | 2 Hitachi 4TB HDD's| eVGA 980FTW + 2 ASUS 27" LED + Acer 32"4K | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Crown XTi 4000 1200w/p/ch Amp JBL JRX125 speakers | Klipsch RW-12d Sub | Win 8.1 Pro MCE | Logitech Orion Spark G910 Mech Keyboard| Logitech G700s
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 10:23:09 (permalink)
Yeah Abit and DFI was awesome back when. I guess everything ends sometime..

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
xqxqxq
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 637
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 10:27:22 (permalink)
they'll just rebrand if consumer perceptions go south.
dejanh
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1553
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 10:38:11 (permalink)
Wow, overly dramatic are we all? 

To be honest with everyone, if you want to have a change happen push EVGA directly, not just on the forums here.  Email them and ask them for updates, where things are at.  Keep asking questions, and keep requesting stuff.  They will update it if the pressure is kept up long enough.  Every company is like this.  Asus or Gigabyte are no different.  Except for the R3E and UD9 boards to some extent only, those guys have nothing on the EVGA X58 Classified boards.

Just to illustrate the point to you, Asus was also denying the ability to update to ROMs larger than 64K for R3E.  They are now saying that they will do it, but that is yet to be seen.  I have however also shown that it can be done on an AMIBIOS X58 board without issues by updating the RAID ROM for a member here that runs an ASRock X58 Extreme board successfully.  It can be done, on every board, and any manufacturer that says that it cannot is not doing enough and is not trying hard enough.  We just need to keep requesting...like I said already
post edited by dejanh - 2011/02/04 10:41:44
Luigi408
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 10:50:28 (permalink)
Yaboze

My main issue with this board is the double-pump on VT. I did notice the high latency with HPET x64 on , so I have it off for now, but I'm not 100% sure I understand what that all means.

I hear to keep it off and that in a single card set up, it can be faster, but with SLI, keep it off. I understand it's a system timer thing, but my system feels faster with it off, videos play just fine, etc.

I am just really upset that this board hasn't had many BIOS updates lately and we finally get 78 and it's a ROM update. That's great and all, but there are other issues I'm sure.

With the Sandy Bridge recall many are sticking to their X58 boards which are still awesome, IMHO. I'm not ready to upgrade yet, maybe in 2012. Anyway, I have posted about this so many times and even had people copy my post with a +1, etc. What did that do? Not a darn thing.

This has been a complained about problem for so long I can only guess the following:

1. EVGA doesn't know how to fix it on their boards.
2. EVGA doesn't have the resources or knowhow to really troubleshoot it (Call Intel?).
3. EVGA doesn't care and figures all the enthusiasts here will just get the next MB.

What is HPET do anyways? I have mine set to 64-bit. Should I turn it off? If I do how does it should it affect me? Thanks!

Anyways I'm wondering if EVGA is going down the drain after they let go their original motherboard team. Seriously, after that fiasco we haven't had any good bios update and/or fixes.

I came from Asus to EVGA because of Asus had terrible bios support on nvidia 4 motherboards back in the day. Now if Asus is really fixes this bug on bios and EVGA doesn't address it and fixes this too I will jump back to Asus for Intel 2011 chipset.

Honestly I really love Evga and I always recommend Evga products to my church and people I know. But right now I am really disappointed with EVGA and their lack of response to people mentioning bugs like Raid Rom, HPET, double pump start (VT), iPad charge, and other stuff. Their staff should have already found out about these bugs to fix them asap. It really seems like no one from EVGA comes and reads forums anymore.

I hate how lately us Evga owners are the last ones to get any sort of update to fixes and features compare to other motherboard manufacturers. No more innovation from Evga.

So disappointing.
No_Limit
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 11:33:22 (permalink)
lcabezas
Anyways I'm wondering if EVGA is going down the drain after they let go their original motherboard team. Seriously, after that fiasco we haven't had any good bios update and/or fixes.

I think this is the reason.
MvdL79
SSC Member
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 12:43:58 (permalink)
No_Limit

lcabezas

+1

From EVGA's press release page:
EVGA Motherboard Team: Yes, there are some people that have left the EVGA motherboard team for personal reasons, it is NOT as the rumors claim, "the entire team." EVGA has proven to implement our core competence "Intelligent Innovation" to give a lot of exciting and surprising motherboard experiences on our products over the years. EVGA will continue invest and develop the best of the best motherboards to our community.

Best of the best? lol...

Luigi408
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 12:51:19 (permalink)
MvdL79

No_Limit

lcabezas

+1

EVGA Motherboard Team: Yes, there are some people that have left the EVGA motherboard team for personal reasons, it is NOT as the rumors claim, "the entire team." EVGA has proven to implement our core competence "Intelligent Innovation" to give a lot of exciting and surprising motherboard experiences on our products over the years. EVGA will continue invest and develop the best of the best motherboards to our community.

Best of the best? lol...

"Intelligent Innovation" and "Best of the best"... After Asus and Gigabyte do it and figure it out first of course.

I think who ever stayed from the "entire team" are inept in figuring out how to fix bios or they just don't have enough people anymore.
MvdL79
SSC Member
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 12:57:51 (permalink)
lcabezas

MvdL79

No_Limit

lcabezas

+1

Best of the best? lol...

"Intelligent Innovation" and "Best of the best"... After Asus and Gigabyte do it and figure it out first of course.

I think who ever stayed from the "entire team" are inept in figuring out how to fix bios or they just don't have enough people anymore.

I only see 3 reasons for the delay or hardly any updates at all:

1. They cannot fix current bios problems or reprogram the bios chip for the bigger roms.
2. They are understaffed,
3. They are "wasting" their time only on the newer boards; H55 and P67. The last one already being plagued by a broken chipset from Intel.

Anyways, seeing that no one from EVGA staff is replying on this thread, makes it look like they really don't care about us X58-owners. Oh well, can't blame EVGA really. They already have our money. :S

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... There won't be a second time for me; next time it's not EVGA for me if they cannot fix current problems...

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 13:27:07 (permalink)
Yeah i've noticed that aa well.. Only 1 person from EVGA is on these forums lately.

If nothing changes soon i'll be sure to buy elsewhere next time. Prob Asus since Falcon prases so much all the time.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
mtgbos
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 14:12:04 (permalink)
Let's lighten up here folks... Now I've been running EVGA products (mother boards and graphics cards) since my 1st 680i MOBO and I've used and heavily researched most of the others including ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI...  Quite honestly... I've found EVGA to be more responsive, more tolerant, and higher quality than any of the others, as highly evidenced by the open and tolerant community and these forums that I've reached out to many many times and received wondrous help...

All products come to EOL and as others rush to market (e.g. Intel, ASUS, P67, USB 3, etc.) to capitalize on those with more money than brains, EVGA's been pretty steady and they deserve a host of loyal customers.

There will ALWAYS be problems and issues, but when I attempt to get support from likes of Dell, HP, Tohsiba, Microsoft, Adobe, Novell, Google (android & chrome), I wind up longing that they were half as responsive and helpful as EVGA.

As a consumer... vote with your wallet and EVGA will live or die by that, but whining and threats are just tiresome...

MTGB

MOBO: EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1 X58 - BIOS Version - S61J
CPU: INTEL XEON W3520 @ 3.8 (200x19 multiplier)
RAM: 2Gx3 CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C7D - 7-7-7-20 - 1T - 1600(2:8) 1.65v

With VDROOP

VCORE = 1.2750v
QPI = 200
CPU VTT = +150
DIMM VOLTAGE = 1.65v
DIMM DQ = +0 mV

All Other Settings AUTO

POWER: CORSAIR HX-1000
GRAPHIC: EVGA - GTX 570SC - BIOS 70.10.17.00.74 - Drivers 266.58

DISK: 128G|CORSAIR P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D & (3) 250GB WD HD - RAID 0
Optical Disk1:  HP dvd1270 (SATA)
Optical Disk 2:  LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P (IDE)
Optical Disk 3: LG BLU-RAY (SATA)
O/S: Windows7 - Ultimate - 64bit
COOLER: PROLIMATECH MEGAHALEMS REV.B - 2 S-Flex Push/Pull
post edited by mtgbos - 2011/02/04 14:14:06
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 14:21:33 (permalink)
Here are some of the comments to the questions/concerns. I will continue to update this as I have more info:

Here are a few responses to some of the questions/concerns, I will continue to update this as I have more information.

1. Broken C6 and HPET causing high DPC and ISR latencies.  We are investigating this.
2. S3 mode not always wakeup monitor, after wakeup, fans do not change rpm in smart mode. Need more details here, many factors can impact S3 resume, including bclock, PCI/PCI-E devices, etc.
3. Double pump issue when resetting CMOS. This is normal to reset the clockgen.
4. Speedstep : downclock CPU Mhz is OK but CPU vCore doesn't change. Looking into this.
5. Double-pump/hard reset with Intel Virtualisation enabled in the BIOS. This is expected when VT is enabled.
6. Intel RAID ROM Needs updating to latest ROM. If not possible because of BIOS size, replace bios chip for larger size and send to customers. BIOS size is the wall we have hit now, but we continue to look into alternate solutions.
7. Marvell Sata 3 Bios needs updating to latest to fix RAID & NON RAID speed issues. We are looking into this.
8. JMicron ROM needs updating to latest ROM. We are looking into this.
9. Phoenix ACHI ROM needs updating to latest if available. We are looking into this.

sromerod
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 14:37:24 (permalink)
The Westmere-EP UNCORE multiplier is locked at 20x
zalbard
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 194
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 15:05:21 (permalink)
Thank you, Jacob. It's always nice to have some kind of official response. I'm glad you're working on the issues.
Can you give us more details about the "BIOS size wall"? If you check out the screenshots provided earlier in this thread then you'll see that they indicate that there is some extra space left right now.
Is some kind of 'different' space elsewhere missing?
Xtrem
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1957
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 15:41:28 (permalink)
4. Speedstep : downclock CPU Mhz is OK but CPU vCore doesn't change
My voltage drops to 1.00 volts when it downclocks to 2400 Mhz, I don't see a problem here

Order through banner below for 5-10% off your order at EVGA.com 

Register your EVGA products using FKDP4PLDDB
Elite Referral

vulcZ
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 16:01:38 (permalink)
It's crazy how quickly loyal customers will turn on ya... 

Thanks for the hard work EVGA <3

Heatwarehttp://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=6179
Ryzen 9 5950X|| Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming || EVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N || 32GB G Skill 3600 (B-die)

5thduke
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3343
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 16:11:23 (permalink)
Xtrem

4. Speedstep : downclock CPU Mhz is OK but CPU vCore doesn't change
My voltage drops to 1.00 volts when it downclocks to 2400 Mhz, I don't see a problem here

its a classified board problem only. i can get a 4.5  speed but would like the power saving option when idling.

never attempt to remove a fly from your friends head with a meat cleaver .  

dejanh
FTW Member
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 16:18:08 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
6. Intel RAID ROM Needs updating to latest ROM. If not possible because of BIOS size, replace bios chip for larger size and send to customers. BIOS size is the wall we have hit now, but we continue to look into alternate solutions.

I posted this in the other thread but will post it here as well...

I did a quick test by manipulating the 8.5.0.1030 RAID option ROM that is originally 64K in size to be 84K in size by padding it with FFh at the end to force it to be 84K in size (FFh has no functional impact on the ROM).  In both cases I ensured that the checksum is 00h so that the option ROM remains valid.  With the ROM padded, I produced two versions of it, one that states that the executable code size is 64K and the other 84K.  I loaded first the 84K ROM with 64K executable code size (determined by 3rd byte in option ROM) and the option ROM loaded fine and worked fine.  Then I again loaded the same ROM this time with the 3rd byte indicating that executable code size is 84K, flashed, and the option ROM would no longer work.  So, to reiterate, this is the same exact code base padded to 84K in both tests, I just modified the size and the 3rd byte to indicate how much of the ROM is executable and in both cases the ROM substituted fine, flashed fine, but it only worked when I was addressing 64K, no more.

So, with that said, what kind of size limitation are we talking about here?  It really looks to me like the BIOS simply cannot address a ROM larger than 64K.  Can you please elaborate?

Edit: To add to this, if say theoretically we drop the PXE boot ROM that frees up 28K of compressed space and 50K of executable size (at run-time the PXE loads at 50K) we will gain 28K of compressed space and 50K of executable space.  Difference between the 84K RAID ROM and 64K RAID ROM is 20K, 20K of executable code (only about 10K compressed).  20K executable size is < 50K executable size freed up by releasing the PXE ROM.  It is even less than the 28K compressed size of PXE ROM.  And you guys are still saying size is the issue...

I am really failing to see how size is an issue...
post edited by dejanh - 2011/02/04 16:28:57
linuxrouter
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8043
  • Ribbons : 104
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 17:08:22 (permalink)
I use the PXE functionality on my EVGA boards and hope that this feature is not dropped.

CaseLabs M-S8 - ASRock X99 Pro - Intel 5960x 4.2 GHz - XSPC CPU WC - EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid SLI - Samsung 950 512GB - EVGA 1600w Titanium
Affiliate Code: OZJ-0TQ-41NJ
dejanh
FTW Member
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 17:14:11 (permalink)
linuxrouter
I use the PXE functionality on my EVGA boards and hope that this feature is not dropped.

There is 0 reason for it to be dropped.  I just wanted to illustrate a point.  The BIOS has enough space, I just do not understand why this is not coming accross when it is so simple to understand.  It is as though nobody is questioning the message from Taiwan, when they clearly should be...
Alucard666
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6164
  • Ribbons : 12
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 18:46:03 (permalink)
dejanh

linuxrouter

There is 0 reason for it to be dropped.  I just wanted to illustrate a point.  The BIOS has enough space, I just do not understand why this is not coming accross when it is so simple to understand.  It is as though nobody is questioning the message from Taiwan, when they clearly should be...

+1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB Crucial Ballistix PRO RGB 3600mhz| ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC | ASUS X570i STRIX | 2TB Sabrent Rockit M.2 SSD| NZXT H1 w Ghost Sheets Mesh Front | Noctua 140mm & 2 40mm | Samsung Odyssey G7 32" | Logitech G Pro Wireless | Logitech G915 | SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless | Logitech G560 RGB Speakers |
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 26
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile