EVGA

[FIXED] EVGA X58 Classified 3+EVGA 670GTX: Boots 1/3 times, stuck 'Starting Windows...'

Author
sinetwo
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/05/03 11:39:24 (permalink)

EDIT: I HAVE FIXED IT! NONE OF THE RECOMMENDATIONS IN THIS THREAD WORKED, DO NOT BOTHER REINSTALLING EVERYTHING A MILLION TIMES IN A MAGICAL SEQUENCE. THE SOLUTION WAS TO SHIFT THE GRAPHICS CARD TO ANOTHER PCIE SLOT. PRESUMABLY DUE TO AN IRQ CONFLICT. JOB DONE! :)

Hi all,

I've seen similar threads with this issue but no absolute resolution.

Setup:
* Windows 7 64bit SP1 + latest updates and patches
* EVGA X58 Classified 3
* EVGA 670GTX
* Soundblaster Xfi (because the onboard audio has an IRQ conflict with the 670GTX's audio)
* Samsung 500gb SSD
* Using external monitor with DVI connection

Problem:
* I believe there's an IRQ conflict between the onboard audio and the graphics card's built in audio
* I have disabled onboard audio
* I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled WITHOUT the 670gtx audio
* When I try to boot into windows, post bios messages, it goes to Starting Windows
* It either gets stuck here OR the monitor goes to sleep
* However, windows IS running in the background, as I can hear the startup sound (on my Soundblaster XFI) and I can log in and press enter

What I've tried so far:
* Safe mode works and Windows login works without any graphics card drivers installed
* Uninstalled drivers, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, re-installed drivers WITHOUT audio (physx and gfx only)
* Tried 3 different versions of the graphics drivers
* Disabled onboard audio in bios
* Enabled onboard audio in bios
* Flashed BIOS to latest version from EVGA site
* Loading default BIOS settings
* Once in Windows, I tried keeping it alive with Hibernate, no go, it shuts down.

What seems to work (sequence):
1. Going in to bios, disabling onboard audio
2. Booting into safe mode
3. Logging into safemode
4. Restarting, going back in to bios, ENABLING onboard audio (yeah I don't understand why this works)
5. Restarting, and logging into windows
Note: Even this doesn't work all the time but I can't comprehend why instigating an IRQ conflict after booting into safemode would actually make it work again?

Questions:
1. Given all this troubleshooting, is there really anything that will definitely work? I.e. manually reassigning IRQ?
2. This is a well known problem having browsed the forums, doesn't EVGA officially have a well known and working response?
3. Different things work for different people, but it is most definitely a driver issue, as even when the card is installed and there is the possible IRQ conflict, it still boots into windows every time without fail, when the drivers are not installed.

Apologies if this post sounds crass, but I have done my research and I have tried A LOT of troubleshooting and various combinations to isolate the issue, and I can firmly say that it works without drivers, and it doesn't with. Any suggestions? I would be incredibly grateful if anyone could lend a helping hand! 

post edited by sinetwo - 2017/09/08 01:51:04

14 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102260
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/03 12:22:11 (permalink)
    If you are performing any CPU overclocking lower this to default.

You didn't mention your PSU so please list model and make.

Remove the soundblaster card and retry

If you can get into safemode then you probably have a driver or program running which is more or less causing this.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

sinetwo
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/03 14:19:39 (permalink)
    Hi rjohnson11, thanks for your swift reply. Please find my comments below:

* I'm not overclocking

* Sorry, it's Corsair AX1200. I've also tried removing all other components just in case it was a power issue.

* I've tried that 

If you can get into safemode then you probably have a driver or program running which is more or less causing this.
    * Yep, I'm almost certain it's the Nvidia drivers, as it boots perfectly into windows (non-safe mode) when I don't have them installed. When I have them installed it's quite random when its able to boot in.
    _JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/03 14:54:30 (permalink)
    sinetwo
    Hi rjohnson11, thanks for your swift reply. Please find my comments below:

* I'm not overclocking

* Sorry, it's Corsair AX1200. I've also tried removing all other components just in case it was a power issue.

* I've tried that 

* Yep, I'm almost certain it's the Nvidia drivers, as it boots perfectly into windows (non-safe mode) when I don't have them installed. When I have them installed it's quite random when its able to boot in.

Hello,

Not sure if you've tried this already but it sounds very closely related to the issue you are experiencing
    http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59211 
    Let us know if this works since it's relevant to 600 series cards

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/03 15:17:19 (permalink)
    Try the following...

#1 Download & Install CCleaner & Driver Sweeper 3.2.0.

#2 Remove all NVIDIA software from add/remove programs & reboot info safe mode.

#3 Create a restore point.

#4  Run driver sweeper 3.2.0, check mark NVIDIA - Display & NVIDIA - PhysX, select Analyse button, if a list of entries pop up select the Clean button, when asked to reboot select Cancel. Do the scan again to make sure all entries are removed/deleted, if all entries cannot be removed/deleted please post that the entries cannot be removed/deleted along with a screenshot showing what cannot be deleted. If the entries were removed/deleted successfully continue onto the next step...

#5  Run ccleaner, select the registry tab, select scan for issues button, select fix selected issues button, when asked to backup the registry select "no" (we made a restore point earlier, we don't need to worry about backing up the registry entries.), select fix all selected issues button. Do the scan again to make sure all entries are removed/deleted.
    NOTE: Two entries may still appear after multiple cleanings (it should be one or two and no more), this is normal and should be ignored, all other entries should be gone. 

#6 Delete NVIDIA GUID's using regedit. Click the start button and type regedit and hit enter. Navigate to...
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video (highlight the Video key and press the delete key.)
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video (highlight the Video key and press the delete key.)
    NOTE: When deleting the video key you will be prompted with an error saying "Error deleting key, Cannot delete Video: Error while deleting key." Just ignore the error and select OK, all keys within the Video key will be deleted except for ones that cannot be deleted.

#7 Perform a clean boot of windows. 
    - Instructions on how to perform a clean boot of windows can be found HERE.

#8 Reboot info normal windows mode.

#9 Perform a clean installation of video drivers.
    1. Uninstall Precision X/Afterburner, make sure to select "no" to saving profiles when asked. Reboot the machine.
    2. Download & save 337.50 driver to your desktop. 
    3. Double click on 337.50-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta.exe located on your desktop & run the extractor.
    4. Select custom advanced install, under custom installation options uncheck all options but graphics driver & physx system software, if you are using audio over HDMI please select the HD Audio driver, if you have a 3D capable monitor and would like to use 3D at some point select the 3D Vision driver also, check mark perform clean install, then click next to install the driver, reboot when asked.
    5. Re-install Precision X/Afterburner, do not install both choose one or the other.

Hopefully it works now. 

post edited by Sajin - 2014/05/23 17:52:41
    sinetwo
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/04 07:45:15 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Try the following...

And the following he did :) Thanks, that seems to now have worked for the last 2 reboots. The only thing that didn't go according to the instructions were:
    * #3 Create a restore point.
    no idea why I wasn't able to do this, but no biggie, it had automatically created a few restore points from a few days ago.

* #6 Delete NVIDIA GUID's using regedit. Click the start button and type regedit then hit enter. Navigate to...
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video (highlight the Video key and press the delete key.)
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video (highlight the Video key and press the delete key.)
    NOTE: When deleting the keys you will be prompted with an error saying "Error deleting key, Cannot delete Video: Error while deleting key." Just ignore the error and select OK.
    When I did this I got a different error message, there were several subfolders with numbers in them like this {02309-xxxx-xxxx-etc}, so perhaps that was an issue.

But so far so good, I'll let you know if it's stable :)

Thank you all very much so far - I really appreciate it everyone.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/04 13:50:44 (permalink)

sinetwo
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/04 15:23:12 (permalink)
    Unfortunately it didn't work... I tried booting in twice and the monitor went to sleep but windows is booting in the background :-/
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/04 16:05:09 (permalink)
    sinetwo
    Unfortunately it didn't work... I tried booting in twice and the monitor went to sleep but windows is booting in the background :-/

Hmm... sounds like your registry is getting corrupted. You were able to reboot two times after performing post #5. You might want to checkout your SSD.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/04 17:44:05 (permalink)
    If your SSD checks out OK you could try doing these things to see if it helps the problem...

#1 Try a different sata port & sata cable.
    #2 Enable No GUI Boot & OS Boot Information. This will disable the starting windows screen & show driver names as drivers are being loaded during the startup process. You will be able to see what driver it gets stuck on.
    - Select the start button and type "msconfig" then hit enter, select the Boot tab, check mark "No GUI Boot" & "OS Boot Information", select OK and reboot the machine.
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/04 19:01:15 (permalink)
    What BIOS version are you running on the motherboard?

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

DDSilver
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2014/05/05 00:24:27 (permalink)
    I am having the same problem.
    Not being that patient I decided to do a full new install of my system and to my surprise the problem was not solved.
    After that I, once again, did a full new install. Installing one driver at a time. The system functions perfectly until I install the Nvidia drivers.
    I've gone back as far as 314.22, but alas, the problem persists.

(Shameless copy of sinetwo's formatting)
    Setup:
    * Windows 7 64bit SP1 + latest updates and patches
    * EVGA X58 SLI 3
    * EVGA 670GTX
    * Corsair 250gb SSD
    * PSU : Nexus RX1.1K

I was playing Fallout: New Vegas when I was called away from my computer for a while. When I got back and wanted to get it out of hibernation it bluescreened on me and rebooted.
    After that reboot it blue screened on me almost right away. but just before it did that I saw an error popping up in the lower right stating there was a problem with my display driver.
    After consulting the event viewer in safe mode I noticed it had an error concerning the re-initialization of the display driver. Don't know the exact error as I don't have the time/will to deal with these kind of problems and just reinstall my system. After I did that I cannot get past the starting windows screen when the Nvidia drivers have been installed.

System seems to work fine as long as I don't install the Nvidia drivers.
    I figured it was a broken card, so I ordered a 770, but now I wonder if that was a smart move...
    sinetwo
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2015/08/03 03:09:41 (permalink)
    Hey DDSilver, did you ever manage to find out why this was happening?
    sinetwo
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2015/08/07 02:40:12 (permalink)
    I HAVE FINALLY (Deleted for Foul Language) SOLVED THIS!!!!!!!

As I started reading up on IRQ conflicts, the issue was in essence what I believe to be an IRQ conflict between the onboard audio and the GTX HD Audio.
    Now the problem is, it wasn't consistent:
    1. it would only sometimes boot
    2. it couldn't go into suspect/sleep (as it would bluescreen)
    3. disabling onboard audio and using a cheap audio card didn't help
    When installing the Nvidia graphics drivers, the above points happened, when in safe mode or without the graphics drivers, it was absolutely fine.
    So the solution is:
    Move your graphics card to ANOTHER PCIe slot. I have 2x PCIe 16x 2.0 slots, and I moved it to the middle one. And it works! I did install the Nvidia drivers with the HD AUDIO unticked (custom installation when prompted).
    I'm not sure if that solved it or not, but my computer consistently boots up without issues now, and even to the point where I'm not worried about windows update restarting my computer (as it wouldn't be able to finish updates due to the boot problem).
    I *really* hope others can benefit from my hours and pointless troubleshooting. The above playing around with cleaning drivers and stuff did not work or do anything useful, so save yourself the time, and try firstly to remove all unecessary peripherals and put your GPU in another PCIe slot that delivers the same performance.
    post edited by XrayMan - 2015/08/07 22:02:57
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: EVGA X58 Classified 3 + EVGA 670GTX: Boots up 1/3 times, stuck on 'Starting Windows... 2015/08/07 22:04:09 (permalink)

*Reminder that Foul Language is not permitted in these forums.  (TOS)   http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Forums-Terms-of-Use-m4682.aspx

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile