Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
UnReal-4-Life
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 353
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2015/03/19 19:29:52 (permalink)
I Used Stinger Z77 and EVGA GTX 560 2GB DDR5 works Great with steamOS (I Had a 760 but with the Steam OS it didnt make a any Diff.) EVGA Power Supply 600B ,8GB Ram DDR3 ,i3 3220 CPUSMevga.jpg ,And a 128GB SSD .  Case SilverSTone 107 i modified just a bit. Wirer less 2x xbox360 controlers and a nykoPS3 usb 4port w/ memcard slot IR and remote.boots strait to SteamOS no keyboard or mouse Starts via home key on controllers or remote. under Less then $400 and some love. Turned out super clean.

Attached Image(s)

34 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/20 14:56:17 (permalink)
    Why go with the SteamOS?
    UnReal-4-Life
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 13:54:41 (permalink)
    kram36
    Why go with the SteamOS?

That is what is required for it to be Steam Machine. Plus I wanted to show My steam group how easy it is to make a Steam Machine with out the Big Price tag. The Steam OS is also free. So sense Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2 works with Steam OS its a good presentation to that crowd. Lastly I want a steam machine for my self so I made one to spec so I can have full support because i'm in the beta program for SteamOS from the beginning. It does work really well you should try it. Boots strait to the system like it was a PS4 or XBox1. It does have a desktop mode you can use its the Linux Base that Steam used to make the OS.  
    post edited by UnReal-4-Life - 2015/03/21 13:56:07

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 13:57:05 (permalink)
    I see> http://store.steampowered.com/steamos
    http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown
    I may give it a try once it is out of Beta Mode.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/03/21 13:58:33

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

UnReal-4-Life
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 14:06:31 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    I see> http://store.steampowered.com/steamos
    http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown
    I may give it a try once it is out of Beta Mode.

Yes that is the one I used. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409517902 I made guide Small quick one for it here. It backs up the guide so I made it.
    post edited by UnReal-4-Life - 2015/03/21 14:08:12

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 14:47:48 (permalink)
    Oh I have looked at this, for my brother. He was looking at the Alienware Alpha. I priced him together a system using a 1TB hd, faster cpu, memory, gpu and could beat the Alienware Alpha cost. Plus using Windows so the vid card can be taken advantage of.

But I see you had a different approach to your build. I have to ask though, does the SteamOS not store the games on the HD? A 128Gb as you used can be filled quickly with very few games.
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 20:00:35 (permalink)
    Check this out, way better than the SteamMachine
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868105125

OR
    You could even try connecting this to your TV from your current Rig.
    http://www.newegg.com/HDMI-Cables/SubCategory/ID-2809?Tpk=hdmi%20cable 

I don't get the steam machine's appeal...

Your build does look nice.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 20:09:35 (permalink)
    I would imagine the Steam appeal part is for better graphics?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 20:13:41 (permalink)
    kram36
    Plus using Windows so the vid card can be taken advantage of.

Eh?  So the video card can't be taken advantage of unless using Windows?  What?
    All SteamOS/Linux games use NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel drivers which are hardware accelerated.  In other words, the video card is "taken advantage of".

The whole point of SteamOS and the Linux thing in general is to popularize cross-platform PC gaming and attempt to destroy the DirectX stranglehold which currently forces us into a Windows-exclusive PC gaming situation.

Why SteamOS?  Because it is a free operating system which allows you to spend more on hardware and less on software when building your computer, supports cross-platform PC gaming, and uses open-source graphics libraries.

Why not SteamOS?  The number of Steam games available in MacOS, Linux, or SteamOS are quite limited due to the fact that they require the game to support OpenGL.  Many AAA game publishers deal with DirectX only and therefore the Steam game library is smaller in non-Windows operating systems.  "Why SteamOS?" (above) answers why this should hopefully cause a change towards fewer DirectX-only games to be released in the future.

This is the current list of available SteamOS / Linux games through Steam's game library:
    http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1

For a while, DICE teased that they were going to release a version of BF4 for Linux.  Too bad that never happened.  If it had happened, I think that would probably be the biggest modern title ever to be released on Linux.  Of course, in the past, Unreal Tournament, Half Life 2, and Team Fortress 2 were huge Linux releases as well.  The whole point of this campaign is to hopefully continue progress in creating a brighter future for PC gaming instead of allowing it to slowly and continually close in and become more and more monopolistic and more and more expensive.  SteamOS isn't the perfect solution, but I am glad that they are trying and I am glad for everyone who embraces it.

By the way, shouldn't this be General Hardware or EVGA Mods Rigs instead of General Discussion?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/21 20:41:32
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 21:11:36 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    kram36
    Plus using Windows so the vid card can be taken advantage of.

Eh?  So the video card can't be taken advantage of unless using Windows?  What?
    All SteamOS/Linux games use NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel drivers which are hardware accelerated.  In other words, the video card is "taken advantage of".

The whole point of SteamOS and the Linux thing in general is to popularize cross-platform PC gaming and attempt to destroy the DirectX stranglehold which currently forces us into a Windows-exclusive PC gaming situation.

Why SteamOS?  Because it is a free operating system which allows you to spend more on hardware and less on software when building your computer, supports cross-platform PC gaming, and uses open-source graphics libraries.

Why not SteamOS?  The number of Steam games available in MacOS, Linux, or SteamOS are quite limited due to the fact that they require the game to support OpenGL.  Many AAA game publishers deal with DirectX only and therefore the Steam game library is smaller in non-Windows operating systems.  "Why SteamOS?" (above) answers why this should hopefully cause a change towards fewer DirectX-only games to be released in the future.

This is the current list of available SteamOS / Linux games through Steam's game library:
    http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1

For a while, DICE teased that they were going to release a version of BF4 for Linux.  Too bad that never happened.  If it had happened, I think that would probably be the biggest modern title ever to be released on Linux.  Of course, in the past, Unreal Tournament, Half Life 2, and Team Fortress 2 were huge Linux releases as well.  The whole point of this campaign is to hopefully continue progress in creating a brighter future for PC gaming instead of allowing it to slowly and continually close in and become more and more monopolistic and more and more expensive.  SteamOS isn't the perfect solution, but I am glad that they are trying and I am glad for everyone who embraces it.

By the way, shouldn't this be General Hardware or EVGA Mods Rigs instead of General Discussion?

Glad you know everything, but the OP said this.

UnReal-4-Life
    I Used Stinger Z77 and EVGA GTX 560 2GB DDR5 works Great with steamOS (I Had a 760 but with the Steam OS it didnt make a any Diff.)

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/21 22:05:41 (permalink)
    SteamOS installed on a 128GB SSD?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 05:44:54 (permalink)
    kram36

UnReal-4-Life
    I Used Stinger Z77 and EVGA GTX 560 2GB DDR5 works Great with steamOS (I Had a 760 but with the Steam OS it didnt make a any Diff.)

The video card drivers are straight from NVIDIA, are 3D hardware accelerated, and make use of your graphics hardware.  The OP was very vague with that statement and it could mean anything.  But it certainly does NOT mean that SteamOS is unable to utilize graphics hardware.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/82252/en-us

Mr, I have used SteamOS and Linux quite a lot.  I do know a lot more about it than you.

The only people using SteamOS who are not able to utilize their graphics hardware are those people running SteamOS inside a virtual machine.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/22 05:47:02
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 09:34:50 (permalink)
    UnReal-4-Life  I think you should build a for this gamming rig.
    I am putting together some older parts now to build one myself, it should be fun.
    I have an old GTX 690 I can use or may a GTX 660Ti, might be a good test to run the new GTX 980 AIO Card too.
    http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_7_7_230_12&term=SteamOS

"EVGA Steam Machines", this could also be a new Subject on its own here on the Forums.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/03/22 09:41:09

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 10:41:46 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    kram36

UnReal-4-Life

The video card drivers are straight from NVIDIA, are 3D hardware accelerated, and make use of your graphics hardware.  The OP was very vague with that statement and it could mean anything.  But it certainly does NOT mean that SteamOS is unable to utilize graphics hardware.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/82252/en-us

Mr, I have used SteamOS and Linux quite a lot.  I do know a lot more about it than you.

The only people using SteamOS who are not able to utilize their graphics hardware are those people running SteamOS inside a virtual machine.

From what the OP says it contradicts what you're stating. I used to run Linux as my only OS, so don't think you have a magnificent knowledge over me concerning graphics cards in Linux.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 10:47:35 (permalink)
    Dude, I am not going to argue with you. But like I said, the OP's description was EXTREMELY vague and in no way supports the claim that Linux cannot make use of graphics hardware. It could be that his resolution was too low during testing to make a difference, whatever CPU he was using during testing was too slow to see a difference, he was using a virtual machine when testing and that is why he didn't see a difference, the game he was playing during testing wasn't demanding enough to make a difference, .... The list of possibilities goes on and on.

You are making an extremely absurd and baseless argument without any proof at all to back it up.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/22 10:56:53
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 11:06:56 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Dude, I am not going to argue with you. But like I said, the OP's description was EXTREMELY vague and in no way supports the claim that Linux cannot make use of graphics hardware. It could be that his resolution was too low during testing to make a difference, whatever CPU he was using during testing was too slow to see a difference, he was using a virtual machine when testing and that is why he didn't see a difference, the game he was playing during testing wasn't demanding enough to make a difference, .... The list of possibilities goes on and on.

You are making an extremely absurd and baseless argument without any proof at all to back it up.

He makes no mention of running a SteamOS in a virtual machine. Matter of fact he states the system boots straight to the SteamOS. There may be a fps lock in the SteamOS, I don't know I have not run it. SteamOS makes zero sense to me other then being free. Windows will utilize the power of the graphics card way better then Linux. I've run the benchmarks, thanks to Unigine and DirectX stomps a mud hole in OpenGL on these benchmarks.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 11:09:56 (permalink)
    He didn't say whether or not he tested the two cards with the same machine. He might have made hardware purchasing and build decisions ahead of time in a virtual machine.

Regardless, I can confirm for you, since you have neve4 used SteamOS yourself, that your argument is baseless and untrue.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 11:27:04 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    He didn't say whether or not he tested the two cards with the same machine. He might have made hardware purchasing and build decisions ahead of time in a virtual machine.

Regardless, I can confirm for you, since you have neve4 used SteamOS yourself, that your argument is baseless and untrue.

Proof? You're also making assumption of him using it in a virtual machine, he makes zero mention of this. The OP states different. He has used SteamOS and stated the GTX 760 made no difference then running a GTX 560. So I am relying on his results. Also the results I have found when using DirectX vs OpenGL in benchmarks I have personally ran. SteamOS is a distro of Linux, correct?
    post edited by kram36 - 2015/03/22 11:45:18
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 12:10:14 (permalink)
    I only said that using a virtual machine is one of MANY possible explainations for the statement he made. I have no proof that it is THE explaination for his statement. The point is, that as a whole, it is completely untrue that Linux operating systems are incapable of utilizing graphics hardware.

Although it makes little difference in this argument as a whole, evidence indicates that the majority of SteamOS users start out by installing and testing inside of a virtual machine before taking the plunge of switching over. SteamOS does not -- at least not unless the feature was recently added -- support dual booting in its current BETA form and that is why the majority start by testing inside a virtual machine. Only modified unofficial versions of SteamOS historically supported dual botting. The majority of users didn't want to format their hard drive in their current computer and lose their existing operating system installation just to test SteamOS out. The Chromium to ChromeOS transition was exactly the same in regards to the majority testing inside a virtual machine prior to taking the plunge.

Yes, SteamOS is a flavor of Linux. Do you see evidence somewhere showing that a modern version of Linux in general is incapable of making use of any NVIDIA hardware newer than the 500 series?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/22 12:29:00
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 12:39:15 (permalink)
    Of course Linux can utilize the power difference in graphics cards, but it's still not as good as Windows at gaming. nVidia drivers are not open source, only nVidia has the code. You ever run a Linux SLi setup against a Windows SLi setup? There is no dispute when it comes to gaming Windows is the better platform.

All I ask is you show me different then what the OP has stated about the SteamOS having no difference between a GTX 760 and a GTX 560. As I said, SteamOS may be capped on fps. Would make sense since a Steam Machine is supposed to save you money, not give you the best gaming solution on the palnet, but better then a XBOX 1 or PS4.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 12:44:20 (permalink)
    Yes, I have tested SLI quite a lot in Linux. SLI is simply not supported in Linux in most situations. That is why the Windows SLI to Linux SLI difference is so huge. SLI was not the discussion of this topic though, was it? SLI aside, ....

I can't buy two video cards I don't own just to make an argument against you. But, that isn't necessary because there is no evidence that your argument is correct in the first place. No, SteamOS is not FPS capped.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/22 12:46:15
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 12:56:16 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Yes, I have tested SLI quite a lot in Linux. SLI is simply not supported in Linux in most situations. That is why the Windows SLI to Linux SLI difference is so huge. SLI was not the discussion of this topic though, was it? SLI aside, ....

I can't buy two video cards I don't own just to make an argument against you. But, that isn't necessary because there is no evidence that your argument is correct in the first place. No, SteamOS is not FPS capped.

You don't have to run SLi to prove the point Windows is a better gaming OS. OK, so SteamOS is not fps capped per your post. Guess will have to wait and see what the OP has to say about why the GTX 760 made no difference over the GTX 560. Right now you have no evidence that your argument is correct either.

You say you have SteamOS, do some benchmarks for us, unless you only have 1 video card, then well I'm not certain how you would know how SteamOS interacts with different video cards.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 12:58:02 (permalink)
    I work away from home and am not able to provide you any personal benchmark results any time in the near future. If I were home, I could have disabled SLI in Windows and provided you some Windows single-gpu versus Linux single-gpu versus SteamOS single-gpu results.

I own a wide variety of NVIDIA graphics cards since I used to do benchmarking on HwBot rather seriously. I don't own the OP's cards though.

I hope that you will accept these results instead.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/980: Windows vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance
    http://www.phoronix.com/s...ll900_winlin&num=2

NVIDIA's Linux Driver Continues Running Strong Against The Windows Driver
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21310

As you may see, often, Linux performed better than Windows in those articles.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/22 13:05:40
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 13:04:48 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I work away from home and am not able to provide you any personal benchmark results any time in the near future. If I were home, I could have disabled SLI in Windows and provided you some Windows single-gpu versus Linux single-gpu versus SteamOS single-gpu results.

Huge problem with that comparison. He ran the Windows driver in OpenGL, not DirectX.

Each operating system was up-to-date and tested with its default settings. The same Intel Core i7 4790K Haswell system was used for both the Linux and Windows testing. The Seiki 39-inch 3840 x 2160 display was used for testing to run many of the OpenGL benchmarks at 4K for fully stressing these latest NVIDIA graphics cards

Not only that has didn't test with the SteamOS, which is where I'm wonder why the GTX 760 made no difference over the GTX 560.
    post edited by kram36 - 2015/03/22 13:09:17
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 13:13:32 (permalink)
    kram36
    ty_ger07

Huge problem with that comparison. He ran the Windows driver in OpenGL, not DirectX.

Each operating system was up-to-date and tested with its default settings. The same Intel Core i7 4790K Haswell system was used for both the Linux and Windows testing. The Seiki 39-inch 3840 x 2160 display was used for testing to run many of the OpenGL benchmarks at 4K for fully stressing these latest NVIDIA graphics cards

I don't have the facilities or time to continue this bizarre debate. As I said, I simply cannot provide personal benchmark results for you in a timely fashion. Feel free to look for yourself. I am sure that there is plenty of information out there for you indicating a very wide range of situations and computer setups.

Linux does not support DirectX. Only OpenGL hardware acelerated games are supported in Linux. That being the case, the games which are available for testing in Linux happen to be OpenGL games. In other words, that's why they are also OpenGL in Windows. There aren't a wide variety of games which support both OpenGL and DirectX and that is probably why some of them weren't tested as DirectX in Windows in the links I provided.

The OpenGL versus DirectX limitation was already discussed in my first reply. Remember that it was discussed as one of my "Why not [use] SteamOS?" reasons listed in my first reply.

Also remember that OpenGL was also listed as a primary reason for "Why [use] SteamOS?" in my first reply. OpenGL will become more and more popular and will become better and better IF this push towards SteamOS and Linux gaming continues. Hoepfully, DirectX will eventually die off and won't even be a factor. This is a campaign which is rocky at the moment, but will hopefully make PC gaming much better in the future. It's a chicken/egg situation at the moment because the biggest problems with Linux gaming at the moment can only be solved if Linux gaming becomes popular.

Another big benefit of Linux/SteamOS gaming -- as already mentioned -- is cost. If you are building a new gaming machine and have a $700 budget, you can spend all $700 on hardware since the operating system is free. If you decide to use Windows instead, $100 of that $700 budget will be spent on a new Windows key. With Linux as the operating system, you could spend 15% more on better hardware in this example.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/22 13:31:18
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 13:31:04 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    kram36
    ty_ger07

I don't have the facilities or time to continue this bizarre debate. As I said, I simply cannot provide personal benchmark results for you in a timely fashion. Feel free to look for yourself. I am sure that there is plenty of information out there for you indicating a very wide range of situations and computer setups.

Linux does not support DirectX. Only OpenGL hardware acelerated games are supported in Linux. That being the case, the games which are available for testing in Linux happen to be OpenGL games. In other words, that's why they are also OpenGL in Windows. There aren't a wide variety of games which support both OpenGL and DirectX and that is probably why some of them weren't tested in DirectX in Windows.

The OpenGL versus DirectX limitation was already discussed in my first reply. Remember that it was discussed as one of my "Why not [use] SteamOS?" reasons listed in my first reply.

I don't know why you consider this a "bizarre debate" considering the OP statement or you just think your right all the time. Of course I know Linux runs OpenGL, but to be fair to Windows you have to benchmark it in DirectX which Unigine will let you do, but he choose not to due that to support his objective. I've done the Unigine benchmarks on Linux and Windows DirectX the video card got the better score.

I'm sure somewhere I still have those benchmarks and that's when I said bye bye to Linux.
    post edited by kram36 - 2015/03/22 13:36:32
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 13:39:15 (permalink)
    kram36
    ty_ger07
    kram36
    ty_ger07

Linux does not support DirectX. Only OpenGL hardware acelerated games are supported in Linux. That being the case, the games which are available for testing in Linux happen to be OpenGL games. In other words, that's why they are also OpenGL in Windows. There aren't a wide variety of games which support both OpenGL and DirectX and that is probably why some of them weren't tested in DirectX in Windows.

I don't know why you consider this a "bizarre debate" considering the OP statement or you just think your right all the time. Of course I know Linux runs OpenGL, but to be fair to Windows you have to benchmark it in DirectX which Unigine will let you do, but he choose not to due that to support his objective. I've done the Unigine benchmarks on Linux and Windows DirectX the video card got the better score.

Feel free to share your OpenGL Unigine in Linux versus DirectX Unigine in Windows results. Also feel free to find more information online supporting your argument. As it is, I have only my personal experiences to back up my opinion.

I personally do not like DirectX for many reasons and therefore, although I would be interested in your DirectX results, it doesn't make much difference to me in regards to the future I hope to see in PC gaming. Your numbers would be interesting, but would not cause me to suddenly agree that DirectX in Windows is the better option (in my opinion).

For the games and benchmarks which do not support DirectX, the links I provided are perfectly valid. We can disagree on the rest. But I will never agree that Linux or SteamOS suddenly becomes useless if you have any NVIDIA card newer than a 500 series card; that statement is completely false. As you can see in the links I provided, the newer/faster hardware performs better in Linux than the older/slower hardware. There certainly is not a point where upgrading your hardware in Linux all the sudden becomes pointless. Linux supports hardware acceleration and the faster hardware will perform faster.

For the games I play at the moment, yes I will admit that Windows is the better option because it is usually my only option. But, in my heart, I believe Linux has a brighter future and hope very strongly that it will have the chance to be my best option in the future.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/22 13:49:21
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 13:48:06 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    kram36
    ty_ger07
    kram36
    ty_ger07

Feel free to share your OpenGL Unigine in Linux versus DirectX Unigine in Windows results. Also feel free to find more information online supporting your argument. As it is, I have only my personal experiences to back up my opinion.

I personally do not like DirectX for many reasons and therefore, although I would be interested in your DirectX results, it doesn't make much difference to me in regards to the future I hope to see in PC gaming. Your numbers would be interesting, but would not cause me to suddenly agree that DirectX in Windows is the better option (in my opinion).

For the games and benchmarks which do not support DirectX, the links I provided are perfectly valid. We can disagree on the rest. But I will never agree that Linux or SteamOS suddenly becomes useless if you have any NVIDIA card newer than a 500 series card; that statement is completely false. As you can see in the links I provided, the newer/faster hardware performs better in Linux than the older/slower hardware. There certainly is not a point where upgrading your hardware in Linux all the sudden becomes pointless.

Yes I know the Microsoft haters would love to see DirectX be gone. I was in the Linux world at one time to.

I never said "SteamOS suddenly becomes useless if you have any NVIDIA card newer than a 500 series card" don't put words in my mouth. The OP stated the GTX 760 made no difference then a GTX 560. What I did say is "using Windows so the vid card can be taken advantage of".

Anyways I just did a search on my storage drive and those benchmarks are not on it and must be on a DVD. I did find the thread in the Linux forum I posted the screenshots of, but I uploaded those at the time through Imageshack, which has tossed the pictures. I'm heading to my granddaughter's birthday party. If I have time I'll drag out my DVD's, but it seems that would be a waste of time with you.

Hopefully the OP will step in and explain why the GTX 760 made no difference over the GTX 560. That's really all I care about.
    post edited by kram36 - 2015/03/22 14:00:32
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/22 14:04:14 (permalink)
    Ok, I will agree with most points, but agree to disagree on some points.

May I ask you...? If there were a time when OpenGL had the same support and backing as DirectX, would you not think that was a good thing? Isn't an increased number of options always welcome and isn't a reduced entry price preferred? Yes, Linux and SteamOS sucks in many ways at the moment, but isn't the campaign a good one? Wouldn't the short-term pains be worth the fight for a better future? I hope that many will participate in this campaign and I hope that the objective is eventually accomplished. For gaming, Windows certainly is the better option at the moment, but I believe that Linux has a much brighter future.

For your viewing pleasure: Linux Sucks
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOxlazS3zs
    Warning: some strong language.

... And then we could continue the discussion about why DirectX is so bad. We could also list some of the features and technological breakthroughs which OpenGL provided ahead of DirectX. I don't know whether you love or hate DirectX or whether you love or hate OpenGL or whether you love or hate Mantle, but history has shown and will continue to show that DirectX wouldn't be nearly as good if it weren't for OpenGL and Mantle. This is a just campaign, I applaud Valve for their vision, and I hope that it will be successful and prove to the industry that money can be made in cross-platform endeavors.
    Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: EVGA Steam Machine I build 100% SteamOS 2015/03/23 07:10:42 (permalink)
    Well done.  Love the picture staging.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile