Author
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 26
2014/07/19 10:28:07 (permalink)
Please see the below official message:

We understand that there is a lot of confusion and misinformation in the internet community about Guru3D’s article titled “Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?”. We would like to clarify the following:

1. Precision’s original main GUI concept was designed and provided to the community by EVGA in 2008.
2. The RivaTuner control panel and backend code in prior versions of Precision were developed and is owned by the RivaTuner developer. EVGA does not own the source code for any RivaTuner code. EVGA paid for the development and distribution rights per the contract.
3. The new EVGA PrecisionX 15 was coded from scratch by EVGA without copying any of the RivaTuner code.
4. Both RivaTuner and EVGA PrecisionX 15 make use of the NVIDIA NVAPI to communicate with NVIDIA graphics cards and drivers, which is owned and provided by NVIDIA.

Some people mentioned that the file structure in EVGA PrecisionX 15 is similar to the previous version of Precision. During development, we referenced the USF skin format (which has been published by RivaTuner developer at Guru3D forums in 2009http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3316361&postcount=8 to allow the community to create their own skins). The above mentioned feature would make it simple to allow users to recompile any previous skins to work with the new version of PrecisionX 15. However, we do understand the confusion caused by trying to maintain this feature and we will change it in the next release.

Next, it was also mentioned that the code contains text references (not code) to the word “RivaTuner” and the word “RTTSH.dll”, a RivaTuner file. This actually came from the user interface localization / help (wording). During the original Precision development, EVGA worked with several outside firms to help translate user interface help files into various languages, unfortunately this is a misprint in the translation files and will be fixed. Again, no RivaTuner code was ever used in EVGA PrecisionX 15. We apologize to the RivaTuner developer for this error.

Originally our goal was to add more features such as 64bit OSD, Steam, updated voltage controls, and more to a new version without changing the Precision user’s experience that they were already familiar with. Unfortunately, the “similarities” between the two programs have led people to believe that EVGA might have copied the code and design from RivaTuner, which is not the case. Given the circumstances, in order to remove any questions and to further differentiate it visually from the previous versions of EVGA Precision, EVGA has decided to listen to the community and suspend the downloading of EVGA PrecisionX 15 temporarily while these updates are being implemented.

Please remember, Precision was and is built for the community and without the community EVGA Precision and many other overclocking utilities would not be where they are today. It is EVGA’s commitment to continue investing in the development of PrecisionX by adding the features the community asks for while providing it free of charge!

Thank You,
EVGA

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10337
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 10:33:11 (permalink)
Thanks Jacob!  Looking forward to the next revision (release) when ready...

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 10:37:03 (permalink)

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 10:55:18 (permalink)
Respectable statement. I can appreciate EVGA listening to customers in this matter. 
mack-attack
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 10:58:30 (permalink)
Thanks Jacob, keep up the good work

~~Imperial Stormtrooper Build V2~~
Case=Corsair 780T White MOBO=Asus X99 deluxe CPU=intel 5820k CPU Cooling=Corsair H100 Ram= Crucial Ballistix sport 4GBx4 Total 16GB GPU1=Nvidia 970 SSD= Samsung 840 EVO 500GB HDD= Toshiba 1 tb Soundcard= Soundblaster Z Powersupply=EVGA 850 G2 Monitor= X-star 1440p  KeyBoard= Logitech G510 Mouse= Logitech G300 Speakers=Logitech 5.1 Headphone=JVC HARX700 OS=win7 Ultimate
EXPERIMENTONGOD
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 11:02:15 (permalink)
Nice damage control EVGA. I hope the next version is polished enough that we can forget about this little incident. Just fix the bugs and improve the OSD and you're golden. If we don't get all features we had in v14 a lot of people won't update or even switch to Afterburner.
chevyowner
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 11:27:51 (permalink)
EXPERIMENTONGOD
Nice damage control EVGA. I hope the next version is polished enough that we can forget about this little incident. Just fix the bugs and improve the OSD and you're golden. If we don't get all features we had in v14 a lot of people won't update or even switch to Afterburner.

I have 2 EVGA video cards in my PC and I am "switching" to MSI Afterburner to show GPU stats because I do not have any version of EVGA precision and cant download it at all.
I Have the cards because a few poeple I know swear up down left and right (or any other way you can think of) by EVGA but so I figured I would give the brand a try, but so far they are worse then whoever it was that made my old GTX 280 (not a well know brand).

EDIT
At this point I may be buying my next 2 video cards from some other brand that may or may not be better.
post edited by chevyowner - 2014/07/19 11:33:35
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5496
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 11:33:47 (permalink)
Hat off to you Jacob, thanks for the update and I will look forward to the next official release.
I do hope you include support for G19 Keyboard LCD display as well.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

Vengeance_GB
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 11:34:58 (permalink)
Cannot download using direct links. All I get is the pop up with the Precision X statement.
The Steam version works, but it constantly displays 'Playing Precision X' which is very irritating.
JoeyC
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 11:45:17 (permalink)
Vengeance_GB
Cannot download using direct links. All I get is the pop up with the Precision X statement.
The Steam version works, but it constantly displays 'Playing Precision X' which is very irritating.

Good afternoon,

Precision has been temporarily removed for download at EVGA.com. It will be available at EVGA.com once again, after the next update. 

Rate my service by going to: http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

Vengeance_GB
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 11:48:00 (permalink)
Ok thanks for the info. I suggest you put a note on the download page to save further confusion.
pstlouis
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 322
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 11:51:25 (permalink)
Will look forward for the next revision hopefully with less bugs then that version.
micas
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 11:52:33 (permalink)
I appreciate the statement from EVGA even though I don't think it necessary.  I've been buying only EVGA video cards since 2007 (a 8800GTX, 6 GPUs total), and I'm very happy with the customer service and quality of the products.  My 780Ti SC SLI setup is expensive, even though I bought them at a nice dip in the price, but I got what I paid for.  It turned my rig into being CPU bottlenecked, which I'll rectify this fall.  From all the different vendors I buy electronic products, I'd rate EVGA right at the top in terms of value for my money, and the effort they make to ensure that everything works as it should.  I also appreciate having a direct line to EVGA reps via these forums.  Too often customers only point out when things go wrong, and are silent when things go right, so I thought I should let the EVGA guys know that this hard-core gamer has a better experience with my rig because of the work they do.  They get my money as a result.  Win-win.

As to the new Precision, I like the way the functionality is as I've been used to.  I consider it a good thing that it is basically the same, and it's something of a shame that they feel the need to put in more money (via developer time) to modify it just to placate people that have the wrong understanding of the situation, but I know EVGA values their reputation so it must be worthwhile for them to spend the money.  I'm getting a new and improved Precision for free (and it works well for me right now), so again, thanks to EVGA for doing that.

I'm sure to some people, I probably sound like a sycophant.  Far from it.  I say it like it is, good and bad.  If EVGA were to sell me something I wasn't happy with, I'd point that out and ask them to rectify it.  They just haven't this time.  They're doing active development on a utility I use constantly, and which improves my gaming experience.  I'm not going to have to wait a long time to get new versions, and I'm sure if the community requests a feature, EVGA will try and implement it.  They deserve credit for that, and not derision for other people's mistaken claims.  If the other party wants me to use their product, make it better than EVGA's.. period.
post edited by micas - 2014/07/19 11:54:51
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 14:49:25 (permalink)
chevyowner
I have 2 EVGA video cards in my PC and I am "switching" to MSI Afterburner to show GPU stats because I do not have any version of EVGA precision and cant download it at all.
I Have the cards because a few poeple I know swear up down left and right (or any other way you can think of) by EVGA but so I figured I would give the brand a try, but so far they are worse then whoever it was that made my old GTX 280 (not a well know brand).
EDIT
At this point I may be buying my next 2 video cards from some other brand that may or may not be better.

LOL.. obvious troll is being obvious.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

gringopig
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 14:49:53 (permalink)
Bit of a PR disaster all this but with the confusion and inferences drawn based on the common interface of the 2 programs and the competition for the attention of the original developer between 2 rival companies, it was sort of inevitable perhaps.
A squabble perhaps best kept in private I believe but it may result in 2 products of better quality and value to the gaming community than before this story began unfolding.

I have had personal support from EVGA in the past with BIOS updates, so I appreciate EVGA's commitment to the customer and I wish this issue will now settle down for all parties...

Asus Sabertooth X58
I7-950 @ 4.2GHz
EVGA GTX 980Ti SC
12GB Corsair Dominator
Creative X-Fi
Rgallant
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 605
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 15:27:39 (permalink)
gringopig
Bit of a PR disaster all this but with the confusion and inferences drawn based on the common interface of the 2 programs and the competition for the attention of the original developer between 2 rival companies, it was sort of inevitable perhaps.
snip

I agree
but feel this leap frogging of ab vs px features caused issues only because of the peeps coughing up blood  on the naming convention in most cases.
if PX was behind with it's 64bit code  da use the AB one , BUT because of it having MSI in front of Afterburner major net wars broke out
I have always run evga cards and always used msi-ab and the fact it has msi in there I never spent 1 second thinking about , just the same if I had a non msi - evga cards , I still would be using msi - AB [AK updated Rivaturner ] as I always have.

3770k [KL370]|| 3xMCR320[basement] || ek bay res|| 655x2 ek-tops || 9xSFF21F || Vl4n
MVF WC || Evga GTX 780 sc 941 sli EK block,s
Sam 256gb 840 Pro|| HAF 932 || 8 gb Tridents 2400
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
oshia86
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 17:36:50 (permalink)
Honestly, I'm glad ties are being cut with a certain developer. Years ago he burned a bridge with me, all over nothing. I will use whatever software he isn't part of. Good job EVGA. This needed to be done regardles, just maybe in a little smoother fashion.

AMD 5900x, Noctua NH-D15, Gigabyte Aorus Elite, 32gb GSkill DDR4 3600, EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3, Acer XG270HU, Super Flower Leadex Plat. SE 1KW, Samsung 970 Evo, Samsung 850 Evo, Klipsch Promedia 2.1, Phanteks P500A, Logitech G502 Hero, Nuforce HDP & Sennheiser HD650
Chuck H.
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/19 17:56:43 (permalink)
best version so far works great..

MSI MEG X570 Unify | 3900X | Sabrent Rocket 2TB | Corsair 1500i | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | Custom H2O 

turboD
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/20 10:31:28 (permalink)
oshia86
Honestly, I'm glad ties are being cut with a certain developer. Years ago he burned a bridge with me, all over nothing. I will use whatever software he isn't part of. Good job EVGA. This needed to be done regardles, just maybe in a little smoother fashion.

I'm kinda agreeing here. Unwinder has been rude and condescending throughout his whole online career as a developer. Every time somebody asks him a question it is like you just ate his lunch and he is angry at you in a passive aggressive manner. I appreciate his passion and contribution, however just because the software is free, it doesn't give him the right to be rude to everybody on any forum. Regardless, I wish him all the best and I really hope EVGA pulls this out so that people can enjoy an alternative.
post edited by turboD - 2014/07/20 10:53:39
PurSpyk
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/20 21:37:54 (permalink)
I know its no longer available to download, but there is an issue with clock speeds when resuming from sleep, the card never goes to full speed again, until you reboot. This is with version 5.0.1.
Slammy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/20 22:15:41 (permalink)
turboD
oshia86

I'm kinda agreeing here. Unwinder has been rude and condescending throughout his whole online career as a developer. Every time somebody asks him a question it is like you just ate his lunch and he is angry at you in a passive aggressive manner. I appreciate his passion and contribution, however just because the software is free, it doesn't give him the right to be rude to everybody on any forum. Regardless, I wish him all the best and I really hope EVGA pulls this out so that people can enjoy an alternative.

I also agree, ive been using Rivatuner for over a decade and while its a great program, the guy behind is a bit of a cock. People would ask questions and he was very rude and crappy to them. Then when someone said something his crappy attitude, he would always go on about it being free etc. Heres an idea, if offering tech support bothers you so bad, maybe you should charge for the program in the first place! 
boogeyman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 181
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 05:00:28 (permalink)
Slammy
turboD
oshia86

I also agree, ive been using Rivatuner for over a decade and while its a great program, the guy behind is a bit of a cock. People would ask questions and he was very rude and crappy to them. Then when someone said something his crappy attitude, he would always go on about it being free etc. Heres an idea, if offering tech support bothers you so bad, maybe you should charge for the program in the first place! 

So name calling is your answer? Your post is exactly why the his attitude comes across harsh.
Who said he was hired as tech support in the first place? You?

You are now being the one who is rude and crappy so what does that make you? A cock too?

*ignore on*

i72600K @ 4.5 water cooled  | Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 | 2 x 4 G Skill Ripjaw
MSI GTX 970 | BFG Tech EX-1200
Swiftech MCR360, MCP655-B + D-tek FuZion block
Crucial M4 128 / 256 GB SSD, (2) HD's + DVD RW  |  X-Fi Xtremegamer
Asus 26" widescreen | Corsair 800D case | Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
S1lverflame
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 09:23:40 (permalink)
Allo EVGA.

I found an error in this.
My version basicly corrupted some files in the Nvidia driver, causing BSOD's.
(system_service_exception (nvlddmkm.sys))
This prevented me from booting up my pc, and caused extremly long loading times in any game (They are installed on an SSD)

After i went into Safe mode, and uninstalled this software, it worked. No BSOD's...

So....

//S1lv3r

P.S. I need a link for an older version, but can't find one.

EDIT: i use EVGA GTX 780 Ti SuperClocked cards (2 way SLI), at 105% Power target @ Default clocks, combined wih a 1200w Psu & 4930k.
pstlouis
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 322
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 12:42:15 (permalink)
Is it possible to give us an ETA for the next version ?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 13:38:25 (permalink)
Vengeance_GB
Ok thanks for the info. I suggest you put a note on the download page to save further confusion.

You could have just read the first post in this thread instead of asking. ;)

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jayz6206
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 14:05:56 (permalink)
EVGA YOU GUYS NEED TO FIX PRECISIONX  15 (Deleted for foul language)
post edited by XrayMan - 2014/07/21 16:01:20
PrimexDrn
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 14:06:29 (permalink)
ETA for release? I wanna play skyrim but I get way too much fps for the in game physics and the game freaks out with my 780ti sc acx so I need the cap limiter on precision x :) (can't bother installing some other limiter)
EXPERIMENTONGOD
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 15:07:29 (permalink)
PrimexDrn
ETA for release? I wanna play skyrim but I get way too much fps for the in game physics and the game freaks out with my 780ti sc acx so I need the cap limiter on precision x :) (can't bother installing some other limiter)

Not having FPS limiter is what forced me to uninstall the new version swiftly. Let's hope we get that functionality back in the next real/usable version.
DakTannon
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 15:38:07 (permalink)
I saw in the feature list for 15 they listed improved does anyone know how they improved I actually need to use k boost in certain games that don't properly support my sli configuration to keep from losing performance in multi gpu mode but it is always a major hassle (kind of an exploit-bug) to get it to activate on all cards at once It usually involves disabling sli disabling and re-enabling all sync the activating k boost then re-enabling sli then restart my rig and the load my oc profile (too much work to play only a couple games)
DakTannon
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA PrecisionX 15 Update 2014/07/21 16:05:33 (permalink)
*Improved K-boost function (forum won't let me edit keep doubling old post)
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile