EVGA

EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive.

Author
Vexx303
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/09/06 03:39:00 (permalink)
I built my PC, and the first GPU I had was the 660 TI. (So, Nvidia drivers from the start.)

This issue happened once with the old GPU recently.  I also recently upgraded to a newer GPU (GTX 770).

I dont think it's a hardware issue, because it happened with the old card once, but it's happened about 3-4 times with the new card as well...

When Precision X crashed the last two times, all I was doing is watching Netflix.  The card was idling about 40 Degrees (which is higher than the average 34 when doing nothing), and when it crashed, the keyboard and screens became unresponsive, and I was forced to Power cycle.

Has anyone else been having a any similiar issues, or know what might be causing it?

22 Replies Related Threads

coolmistry
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2502
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/09/06 03:51:04 (permalink)
    Hello and Welcome to the EVGA Forums 
    Let re install EVGA Precision X again!! You need to close EVGA Precision X and check make sure RTSS is close after Precision shut down then run uninstall then it will ask you to save profile so don't save profiles! Complete remove Precision please do restart Window!
    After restart Windows please check any left over EVGA Precision X in Windows Program Files if still there  then you need delete by manual  and then do run CCleaner select both Cleaner and Registry! Now let try install lastest Version EVGA Precision X to run test!!
    Let us know how getting on? 

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
    i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
    gremlich
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/09/22 09:03:53 (permalink)
    Happens to mine too. I have uninstalled Precision X and Riva. I already uninstalled/reinstalled everything last month (properly, yes) and still get the same issue.

Get it fixed.
    Vexx303
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/09/23 10:13:39 (permalink)
    Yup;  Recommended steps fix nothing...Still happens.  It's not an issue on my end.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/09/23 14:42:57 (permalink)
    How do you know it's Precision that is crashing?
    gremlich
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/09/24 16:38:18 (permalink)
    It only happens when it is running. When I don't have it running, the computer does not do this.
    Vexx303
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/09/25 13:51:43 (permalink)
    kram36

(Sentence deleted for being off topic/Trolling)

Obviously because I didnt just drop in here right when I experienced the problem.  I work IT, I tried a bunch of different troubleshooting steps before coming here. 

The issue only happens when Precision X is running, and Windows CLEARLY gives the "Precision X has crashed or stopped working" popup for Windows Error Reporting before the PC becomes unresponsive. 

Nvidia has updated the drivers several times through both GPU's that I've had, so this is the only conclusion, as it's only Precision X that crashes.  If I dont run Precision X, the PC up and runs no problem until I personally decide to restart...If I run Precision X for monitoring/etc, it cant run for more than 48 hours without Precision X causing a crash.
    post edited by XrayMan - 2013/09/28 23:29:37
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3762
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/09/28 21:18:59 (permalink)
    Vexx303
    kram36

Obviously because I didnt just drop in here right when I experienced the problem.  I work IT, I tried a bunch of different troubleshooting steps before coming here. 

The issue only happens when Precision X is running, and Windows CLEARLY gives the "Precision X has crashed or stopped working" popup for Windows Error Reporting before the PC becomes unresponsive. 

Nvidia has updated the drivers several times through both GPU's that I've had, so this is the only conclusion, as it's only Precision X that crashes.  If I dont run Precision X, the PC up and runs no problem until I personally decide to restart...If I run Precision X for monitoring/etc, it cant run for more than 48 hours without Precision X causing a crash.

You sound just like a typical IT worker. Just because you work in IT doesn't make you better then anyone else. Get over it. Great way to respond to someone that's just trying to help though, it will get you far. Wait no it won't.

Oh and for the record, it is a problem on your end. I know someone who I would have pointed in your direction had you not just responded like the way you just did.
    post edited by Baltothewolf - 2013/09/28 21:21:51

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.
    -1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/09/28 23:32:31 (permalink)

Let's stay on topic, and don't let your ego's derail this thread.

(General Thread Warning)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Vexx303
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2013/10/01 11:43:25 (permalink)
    Baltothewolf
    Vexx303
    kram36

You sound just like a typical IT worker. Just because you work in IT doesn't make you better then anyone else. Get over it. Great way to respond to someone that's just trying to help though, it will get you far. Wait no it won't.

Oh and for the record, it is a problem on your end. I know someone who I would have pointed in your direction had you not just responded like the way you just did.

Baltothewolf
    Vexx303
    kram36

Oh man, coming from a grown man who thinks he's a "Furry"... I'll try and be kind.

I'm pretty sure I never said "I'm better than everyone else".  I simply pointed out that his reply was very pointless.  It's like calling your ISP and telling them your Internet is not working and you've already reset the modem, and their first method of troubleshooting they offer is: "Why dont we try and reset the modem."  (Of course, after an hour of wasting your time, they actually do some work and it turns out there's an outage in your area...)

- IE they follow a script to help, because they want to apply as little effort as possible, and still get credit for finding a solution.

The crash is also not just a problem on my end, because it happens on two PC's I own; Different GPU's.  I've also gone through 3 driver updates on both, same error still happens.  It also apparently happens to at least one other person who posted in this thread. 

Coming in here saying "I know the answer, but I'm not telling you because you're mean." is also a wasted reply, Why dont you go play internet hero elsewhere?  If acquiring your help requires that I make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside, then consider it not wanted, maybe you should also consider filling out a hurt feelings report with your local police station.

Stop reaching for what isnt there;  Me stating I work in IT should only indicate that I've tried the basic, most obvious troubleshooting steps but the problem still exists; I didnt just experience a problem and wander in to find the solution without trying to resolve it on my own.  The first response was "have you tried reinstalling", and obviously I've tried that, and a number of other things.

The second response was "how do you know this is the problem" ...That's equivalent to just trying to get a +1 to your post count as far as I'm concerned.
    I just wanted to know if there is a known issue that's been causing the crashes.  Obviously if there was, there would be more information on it.  But I guess there's not, since people are still giving "Scripted solution answers".  Thanks for not being helpful, have a wonderful day.

SHOBU007
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2014/03/28 05:19:51 (permalink)
    I have the same problem when evga precision is running , the computer freezes for 3 - 4 seconds or so ... about 3 times or 2 times every minute , please fix this ...

If it's not running , everything is going well.
    boogeyman
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 181
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2014/03/28 07:05:59 (permalink)
    Why not try MSI Afterburner and see if it improves. Completely uninstall P-X first.

i72600K @ 4.5 water cooled  | Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 | 2 x 4 G Skill Ripjaw
    MSI GTX 970 | BFG Tech EX-1200
    Swiftech MCR360, MCP655-B + D-tek FuZion block
    Crucial M4 128 / 256 GB SSD, (2) HD's + DVD RW  |  X-Fi Xtremegamer
    Asus 26" widescreen | Corsair 800D case | Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2014/03/28 12:44:16 (permalink)
    SHOBU007
    I have the same problem when evga precision is running , the computer freezes for 3 - 4 seconds or so ... about 3 times or 2 times every minute , please fix this ...

If it's not running , everything is going well.

Being that your issue only affects a small percentage of users, it's most likely some type of conflict with other software you're using.  Make sure you're not running any other monitoring software that accesses the same sensors as PrecX.

Also, try turning off any background programs (msconfig) that aren't needed and test again.  If all is fine, only turn back on one item at a time until you find the culprit.

thunderman101
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2014/05/09 19:51:21 (permalink)
    same here
    defalkner
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2014/06/27 18:14:31 (permalink)
    I have a problem with it crashing my system even without overclocking. Seems to run fine at first, Ill throttle the video card up a little (overclock) and then game a while it works fine. I set the defaults again works fine. Make adjustments a few more times and then it gets stuck. Im running in SLi with 2 Evga GTX 670's & one of the cards will get stuck at full throttle while the other stays around an idle of 300mhz or so (nothing running in background). Rebooting does not fix it, nor does setting everything to defaults, reinstalling ect. The only way I can get both cards back in sync is to reinstall the drivers again (works). Also on Windows 8.1 64bit when Precision X is installed and running I get BSOD's (not overclocked) a few minutes after booting now. Sometimes random times but usually at least every 30-45min. The rest of my system is not over clocked either, I can't 100% sure say that PrecicionX is at fault for the BSOD's but it does glitch after overclocking a few adjustments or a couple hours. As though the Vmode or whatever its called is on all the time (Its off). Like I cant control the cards any longer after the glitch happens. Seems to be an issue with going back to defaults. The rest of the program works though. I've reinstalled 3 times in the last 2 days. I wonder if theres a glitch in the configuration in he memory or whatever that tells it to tell the cards to run at certain speeds. Like I said rebooting will not resolve it, the cards throttle all over the place and stay maxed out when nothing is running after a fresh boot.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2014/06/28 06:30:40 (permalink)
    @ defalkner

Try following my instructions in post #5 from this thread  >>  http://forums.evga.com/Precision-X-Showing-Power-Loss-Mid-Game-m2182434.aspx

stephane nadeau
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2015/09/18 18:03:15 (permalink)
    Hi guys, came across this thread...

System :Windows 10 64 bits build 10525, EVGA 670 with Gsync Screen.

I have been having issues with my Nvidia card recently, it's not a crash but rather the screen freezes and stops updating but the game is not crashed i can move fire etc sound is ok.

i tried all the version of nvidia up to 355.82, and always having the same problem

2 games that i run

-Mass effect 3
    -Pillars of Eternity

they used to run fine but now the freeze( i mean screen freeze)

i always thought it to be the video drivers. It's not!

tonight i forgot to start Precision X 5.3.7,the card runs way too hot for my tastes without precision X,but...

the game runs fine, no freezing of screen was able to play an entire game no issues it's definitively Precision X but this is a recent issue, i have updated it recently but had no issue before that.
    i will be trying older versions to see if this fixes it.

It seems to be related to the Fan speed(Guessing?) or something has changed recently, hope this helps you guys find out the issue.

Take care!

Update:

Just tried V5.3.0 working fine.
    post edited by stephane nadeau - 2015/09/18 18:35:02
    JustusLM
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2016/07/01 09:37:28 (permalink)
    I'm having the same issue.
    My card is a GTX 970 and sometimes the screen will just go black. On my second screen however precision x is still running and showing that the card is running at around 500 MHz.
    Sometimes everything crashes though, both screens go black and the sound freezes.
    Rarely the screen won't even go black but both the GPU clock and the memory clock are reduced massively, resulting in terrible performance.
    Of course, this only happens when precision x is running.
    I now tried reinstalling (of course making sure everything was cleared when I did and rebooting before the install) and it didn't help. Not the slightest bit.

Update/Fix(?): The issue might be caused by the power limit. I haven't done any long-term testing yet, but after switching the priority to temperature my power consumtion has gone up to ~115%, at which point the gpu would have been powered down already with priority on power limit (max. 112%).

Yet another update: After testing: The above does help, crashes have been happening less often. However, they still do appear.
    post edited by JustusLM - 2016/07/02 17:51:46
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2016/07/02 12:50:47 (permalink)
    That would be an unstable overclock. Causes the Maxwell cards to run around 500Mhz.

JustusLM
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2016/07/02 17:51:08 (permalink)
    @ipkha
    Yeah, my card was clocked too high, although at most times no signs or graphical bugs would appear. Anyways, I took care of that now.
    However, even the GPU crashing shouldn't cause the whole PC to freeze, so I think there's another problem with the program. I'm now trying with internet connection disabled for both the precision x and server .exes, as well as renamed server .exes, since features like this have been causing trouble with different software for other stuff (e.g. Adobe Premiere).

And I just wanna note here that this thread is kinda weird, discussing various topics and various program-related issues. So a special thanks to You for even reading and replying to this thread.
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2016/07/02 18:10:55 (permalink)
    I run a 970 right now. Neither PrecisionX or the Riva Server actually use the Internet in that way. Adobe and other programs check your liscense every so often. Have you tried running Precision X with just a fan profile and default clocks. An unstable overclock could crash the games executable, or the driver crash caused the freeze.

JustusLM
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2016/07/03 02:34:00 (permalink)
    I think  figured it out now, it was all an unstable overclock. (Also, I'm not even using a custom fan profile.) And yeah, the driver did crash a few times and got repaired, so when my machine freezed it was probably cause windows was unable to fix the driver crashing. So thank you, you fixed my problems with the most obvious solution (that I was unable to find myself...  <-me).
    I think it's alarming though that you can clock your card too high and still see no graphical bugs until suddenly it just crashes. Or maybe I'm just getting confused because I'm usually not much of an overclocker.
    Anyways, thank You for Your help! 
    post edited by JustusLM - 2016/07/03 02:40:41
    MagicPhysicist
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:EVGA Precision X Crashes, renders the PC Unresponsive. 2016/11/02 15:08:31 (permalink)
    I have done repeated clean installs of PX for my 660Ti SC using Win7 and Win 10 and the fan adjustment refuses to slide up so I can set the fan speed to where it would work for me.
    I tell it to stop the auto settings first and it is just frozen at some low speed (usually 30) and I want it closer to 55 and once in a while after 50 tries it finally just jumps up to a faster speed so I X out and then check the speed of the fan and the rest of the info to see if it is actually running at the proper clock speed with GPU-Z but after this many tries over the last 3 years I finally just uninstalled PX and now am going to give 6.0.8 a try.......I see it is now asking for my name and address and even a serial number.....time to make one up again 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile