EVGA GeForce Titan Black Hydro Copper Signature: Cooling Advice

Author
DoomDuck
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/16 11:44:08 (permalink)
Hey everyone,

So I did something stupid last week, but I only just found out about it today.  I'm hoping you gents can help - 
I picked up the EVGA GeForce Titan Black Hydro Copper Signature from Newegg after reading specs and reviews, built a pretty nifty desktop.  I was quite happy until I realized shortly after installation that the GPU was overheating.  A quick look into why and what SHOULD have been obvious before became apparent:  I don't have water cooling and the specs clearly state that it REQUIRES water cooling.

Oof.

So, long story short I needed some advice:
Firstly, does it absolutely REQUIRE water cooling?  Is there a way to achieve similar/ adequate cooling with fans that would attach somehow to the card?

Secondly, I've done a small amount of research into water cooling - it looks like I need a Pump, Radiator, Reservoir, and GPU Water Block and tubing (lots of tubing).  I don't want to do something stupid, so is there anything in particular I should watch for while trying to cool this particular card?  I think it already comes with a GPU water block, unless I'm mistaken.  And as an aside, I have a very nice fan cooling my CPU, but if I'm going with water cooling should I just bite the bullet and get a CPU water block as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

~DD

3 Replies Related Threads

trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: EVGA GeForce Titan Black Hydro Copper Signature: Cooling Advice 2014/07/16 12:12:58 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums...well, that is quite the oops, but you are not the first that failed to realize water cooling is needed.  Hence the name "hydro" meaning water....hopefully you did not do any permanent damage to the card without it being cooled with water.  What were your temps?

Anyway, yes it needs to be water cooled unless you remove the water block and install an air cooler assembly such as the ACX cooler that EVGA sells separately.  The card is already assembled with the water block.  The ports at the front of the card are for the inlet and out.  Or return the card and get the air-cooled version.  Probably best to do that and avoid the potential issues that come along with water cooling.  But if you feel like taking the plunge and pursue the water cooling, there are plenty of youtube videos and other sites/forums with a plethora of information. 

Good places for parts are either:
    www.frozencpu.com
     www.performance-pcs.com

This is the link to the cooler assembly that you can swap out to make it air cooled.
    http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-FS-3790-B9
    post edited by trabe3 - 2014/07/16 12:18:07

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    DoomDuck
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA GeForce Titan Black Hydro Copper Signature: Cooling Advice 2014/07/16 12:35:02 (permalink)
    Yah,

I looked at my error, looked at the GPU name, looked at my error... and face-palmed.

In retrospect it was pretty obvious that it required water cooling, I'm not sure how I missed it!

Thanks for the response, that cooling system looks perfect.  I won't be overclocking right now anyways, so switching to that air cooler should be sufficient.  If it isn't, I'll have to start looking more closely at the water cooling solutions and take that leap :)

~DD
    trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: EVGA GeForce Titan Black Hydro Copper Signature: Cooling Advice 2014/07/16 12:54:24 (permalink)
    Happens to the best of us sometimes.  Let us know how it goes with the cooler swap.  If you have any questions, plenty of people here to help you out.  Good luck and hopefully you can enjoy your card once it gets cooled properly. 

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz