EVGA

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 22
Author
piloth
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/10 03:55:45 (permalink)
kainswiss
That seems very strange for a card like this to just die! Well evga has you covered. this card is a beast. I love it to death. Hands down the best 980ti out there period. How are you getting on with the other two cards?

Have yet to try them properly. The top card gets too hot for comfort (Can hit 90) the other one is stable at around 70.
It has nothing to do with the cards guess the ventilation sucks. I'm waiting for the EK waterblock then I will put them under water.
All that being said I'm really happy with the cards. When I get them to work they absolutely destroy anything else out there! Would buy again, just hope I will not be as unlucky :) 
kainswiss
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/10 06:22:59 (permalink)
piloth
kainswiss
That seems very strange for a card like this to just die! Well evga has you covered. this card is a beast. I love it to death. Hands down the best 980ti out there period. How are you getting on with the other two cards?

Have yet to try them properly. The top card gets too hot for comfort (Can hit 90) the other one is stable at around 70.
It has nothing to do with the cards guess the ventilation sucks. I'm waiting for the EK waterblock then I will put them under water.
All that being said I'm really happy with the cards. When I get them to work they absolutely destroy anything else out there! Would buy again, just hope I will not be as unlucky :) 

Well 90 is way too hot for this card. Did you crank the fans to max? Airflow is crucial. But didn't you say you didn't even overclock it? I have never seen mine go over 70 I ran Heaven at 1520 MHz and my temps were in the 55 range! The card is very sufficient. What case are you using?

piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/10 07:05:05 (permalink)
kainswiss
Well 90 is way too hot for this card. Did you crank the fans to max? Airflow is crucial. But didn't you say you didn't even overclock it? I have never seen mine go over 70 I ran Heaven at 1520 MHz and my temps were in the 55 range! The card is very sufficient. What case are you using?

Right, so since I wrote that what I have done is move the two cards away from each other so they have 2 slots spacing in between. The temps then dropped do around 85ish on the hottest card with the fans to auto. What I do get on the hot card is that the LEDs start flashing on and off almost as if the card is glitching. I suspect this has something to do with the card hitting a thermal limit but i'm not sure.

I have now also tried running heaven with the fans set to max and the max temp recorded was 72 and 60 with no flashing LEDs.

No I have yet to overclock the cards or the CPU. I'm still waiting for my case to arrive from Caselabs and then do the custom loop before I start overclocking they are currently residing in a fractal R5

Cards were at 1430 Mhz and everything maxxed out on Heaven at 2560 gave me average FPS of 109.1

TrueGaming11
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/10 07:18:16 (permalink)
Does it have high quality fins? my 980 Ti is still making rattling noises because of the loose fin inside and I don't have any thermal pads to stabilize it.
TheGingerKid
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/10 07:59:04 (permalink)
shogon
If it's within a certain time frame (think a week or two) EVGA will cover the shipping costs in case of an RMA. Sorry to hear your KPE died :(. I'm still debating if I should put the EK universal block on mine, or just run it with the stock cooler.

you can just request they send a prepaid shipping label and they almost always will :P , gotta find ways to cheat the system so to say lol 

TheGingerKid
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/10 08:07:39 (permalink)
Szeged
Jayztwocent review of the kingpin was embarrassing. That clown didn't even know where to begin with the card. Such a shame to see the kpe card get compared to other generic cards in games. I really don't understand why people think he does good gpu reviews. You would get more info about the cards from the official specs page on websites than from his reviews.

im surprised they sent him one tbh ... he doies decent air and water cooled card reviews imo if you want to get some general unbiased benches of the cards between each-other , but why send an ln2 focused card to him if hes not going to go into detail about ln2/dice/ ect .... baffles me. 

kainswiss
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/10 08:41:41 (permalink)
I think the fact of that matter it was requested by people to show us the copper meaning kingpin, I actually am starting to believe he wasn't interested to begin with. He does not have the setup to do an LN2 review, but he cocked up that review anyway. As stated by Kingpin, if you know what your doing and using a card with an a sic rating above 76% then 1550 is easily achievable. It's just the fact he missed the mark with this card. Face Palm!!!

EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/11 09:50:15 (permalink)

Vipergtspa
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 233
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/11 11:36:08 (permalink)
k|ngp|n
Vipergtspa
I asked this question a few times earlier in this thread and I am also waiting to hear back from EVGA (called them 8/31/15) in regard's to what would cause this.

Anyone know what the red light on the right side of the card in between the kingpin logo on the back plate and the voltage switches indicates ? It only comes on at random times (some times after a driver crash) and needs a complete shut down to get it to turn off.
Both of my cards have had this light come on, regardless of which PCE slot they are in.

I never noticed the light before on my 980 kpe, but with the Ti's it has happened since day one. Earlier today when the red light came on with the top card it also changed all of the led's to the default white, then started to blink off and on.

I have tried four different driver's, PX installed and uninstalled with no change. I am not sure if this is an issue or not, just want to know what this light is for. Also does not seem to be linked with the LED flicker that happens every so often, my none Ti kpe did this as well.

When running in SLI the light will come on when the top card hit's 80C no matter what, which is hard to make happen lol. But when running each card single they will both do it regardless of temps, max is about 67C.

EDIT: 980TiKP_XOC.rom bios did not fix the led flickering or the mystery red light.  Also the driver will crash once the red light comes on and I exit the software.
Thanks

The red light your talking about is an indicator that is related to PCB temperature monitoring. Just ignore it. Its essentially monitoring pcb temps and when the heater is enabled, there are handshakes between the two. The LED reset that happens on your card is related to this and can happen if the card exceeds 70C.
The LED reset that happens randomly on some cards like u are describing is a minor FW issue with some of the first cards that were released. Tin will post a ez DIY fix for this at KPC sometime next week FYI    
On a side note, the PCB heater function ABSOLUTELY CANNOT power on without removing the cooler and making the proper hard mods to the 980ti kp pcb. We did this for a specific reason, as to make it impossible for the heater to turn on unintentionally.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question

I had another question about the red light.
Is it normal to have a driver crash after the light comes on ? Also when running just one card the light will come on at around 66C to 67C, but when running SLI it takes 80C+ to have it come on. When I have both card's in, I have to use a 8 pin and 8 pin + 6 pin pci-e cables (2 separate cables for each card) from my PS. If I use this same setup when running one card the light will still come on, but if I use a 8 pin + 8 pin + 6 pin ( 3 separate cables ) on a single card setup the light will not come on.

Is all of this normal behavior ? or is there something else going on that need's addressed ? I can not tell if this is temp related or power related or both.
Thanks

Intel i7-8700K 5.1GHz 1.344V-Asus ROG Maximus X Formula Z370-EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 2100MHz/6496MHz -16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum@3200Mhz-EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2-EK Custom Water Loop-2 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD -1 Samsung 970 Pro 500GB M.2-Phantek Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass-Windows 10 64bit-Dell S2716DG 27" G-Sync 2560X1440-Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media Speakers

piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/12 14:19:26 (permalink)
Anybody knows why the card does this? I think it has with temps to do but I'm not sure. It looks like it's glitching but it still works fine. 
http://bit.ly/1K5ROVN

Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/12 14:45:00 (permalink)

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/12 16:43:20 (permalink)
piloth
Anybody knows why the card does this? I think it has with temps to do but I'm not sure. It looks like it's glitching but it still works fine. 

That is craziness.  I would think it could be a BIOS issue, so contact tech support, send them the link, and ask them if you can get the stock bios (it comes in a .exe, so it is a simple click and it installs).  If not, it could be a PCB issue, but that right there would bother me. 

Also, one other question.. are you using Precision X16 in any way?  If it is on, can you disable it completely?
Vipergtspa
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/12 18:48:29 (permalink)
piloth

That is what my 2 do as well.
If you go back and read the last two pages, I asked about a red light which comes on at the same time as all of the leds resetting back to the default white and flicker on and off. Then after a few seconds they just stay at the default white, along with the red light still staying on.

Vince responded to my question and said this.
The red light your talking about is an indicator that is related to PCB temperature monitoring. Just ignore it. Its essentially monitoring pcb temps and when the heater is enabled, there are handshakes between the two. The LED reset that happens on your card is related to this and can happen if the card exceeds 70C.
The LED reset that happens randomly on some cards like u are describing is a minor FW issue with some of the first cards that were released. Tin will post a ez DIY fix for this at KPC sometime next week FYI    
On a side note, the PCB heater function ABSOLUTELY CANNOT power on without removing the cooler and making the proper hard mods to the 980ti kp pcb. We did this for a specific reason, as to make it impossible for the heater to turn on unintentionally.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my situation.

I am also waiting for EVGA to call me back with a solution to this and why that happens.

Your bottom card has the red light I was talking about, not sure if your top one has it as well.
post edited by Vipergtspa - 2015/09/12 18:55:31

Intel i7-8700K 5.1GHz 1.344V-Asus ROG Maximus X Formula Z370-EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 2100MHz/6496MHz -16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum@3200Mhz-EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2-EK Custom Water Loop-2 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD -1 Samsung 970 Pro 500GB M.2-Phantek Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass-Windows 10 64bit-Dell S2716DG 27" G-Sync 2560X1440-Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media Speakers

kainswiss
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/12 21:16:19 (permalink)
piloth

Does the card run normally? Could be a driver issue with sli. I've not noticed that flickering at all on mine.

kainswiss
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/12 21:20:54 (permalink)
Pgcmoore

Nice score!!! Could only get mine upto 1540 so far without tweaking it!

ron biron
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/12 23:34:07 (permalink)
Did you guys follow Vince Kingpin's directions to the letter? [ Driver cleaner, Reflash bios to factory the way it came in the box, reload old driver 353.62 , Start tests at 1500 fan speeds a 100% ] 
piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/12 23:51:11 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech

That is craziness.  I would think it could be a BIOS issue, so contact tech support, send them the link, and ask them if you can get the stock bios (it comes in a .exe, so it is a simple click and it installs).  If not, it could be a PCB issue, but that right there would bother me. 

Also, one other question.. are you using Precision X16 in any way?  If it is on, can you disable it completely?

Don't want to change the BIOS to be honest. I mean it's a 1000 euro card :P
Yeah using Precision but only to monitor and ramp up the fans

Vipergtspa

Okay! Only read about the red light. Didn't know it would be glitching like that with the leds. I mean the card is fine but I only notice it if the card gets to about 80. 
Ramping up the fans to 100% and keeping the card under 70 solves the problem so I guess it must be that. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 03:54:00 (permalink)
piloth
Scarlet-Tech

Vipergtspa

Okay! Only read about the red light. Didn't know it would be glitching like that with the leds. I mean the card is fine but I only notice it if the card gets to about 80. 
Ramping up the fans to 100% and keeping the card under 70 solves the problem so I guess it must be that. 

You bought a card meant for flashing bios, and you don't even want EVGA to send you the stock bios so you can make sure it is flashed properly? That is waste of money.

Usually I am sympathetic to users, but that is absolutely ridiculous to waste money like that. Glad you had deep pockets.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/09/13 03:57:03
kainswiss
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 06:06:53 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
piloth
Scarlet-Tech

Vipergtspa

You bought a card meant for flashing bios, and you don't even want EVGA to send you the stock bios so you can make sure it is flashed properly? That is waste of money.

Usually I am sympathetic to users, but that is absolutely ridiculous to waste money like that. Glad you had deep pockets.

I was thinking the same. There is a reason this card has bios options on it. Yet he doesn't want to try solve the problem by a simple flash. Why buy this card in the first place. I'm baffled!

piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 06:19:28 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech

Not sure why you're upset at me? You really think it's too much of me for asking that the card will come properly flashed? Why is it a waste of money if it makes me happy? 
You guys fail to see that I love hardware just as much as you guys. This makes me happy and I like spending money on it. 
I buy what give me joy in life, some people do drugs I play games. 

Now with all that said maybe you think it's wasteful that such a good card goes to somebody you look down on. Maybe that's the case but it's still very unfair towards me. I earned my money just as you did and instead of making this some kind of closed privileged circle you guys should be happy that more and more people are looking at the enthusiast market. This will in the end just mean better cards for us all. 

Also I notice this is a recurrent theme and it really saddens me. It's not just you that complains. I get to hear it all the time. 
I just got a received three of the new Acer X34 Predators and I am all excited and happy and would love to share this with the community but instead of people being happy for me and my experiences they start complaining how stupid I am. Same when people see the specs for my computer. If I only got a nickle everytime people called me stupid for getting the 5960x only for gaming I'd be wealthy. 
It's not about bragging or anything I used to spend my days looking at other peoples builds and getting happy and I wanted to give back but this comunity is so hateful when someone does something they consider stupid.

Lastly I would like to assure everybody that I will be overclocking this cards and using whatever bios necessary once I get the waterblocks for it. Not even my CPU is overclocked yet. I could go on about this more but I feel that this is already way off topic but it really makes me sad when the people I used to look up to are so defensive about new people 
alphabr1vo
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 07:30:06 (permalink)
piloth
Scarlet-Tech

Not sure why you're upset at me? You really think it's too much of me for asking that the card will come properly flashed? Why is it a waste of money if it makes me happy? 
You guys fail to see that I love hardware just as much as you guys. This makes me happy and I like spending money on it. 

Now with all that said maybe you think it's wasteful that such a good card goes to somebody you look down on. Maybe that's the case but it's still very unfair towards me. I earned my money just as you did and instead of making this some kind of closed privileged circle you guys should be happy that more and more people are looking at the enthusiast market. This will in the end just mean better cards for us all. 

Also I notice this is a recurrent theme and it really saddens me. It's not just you that complains. I get to hear it all the time. 
I just got a received three of the new Acer X34 Predators and I am all excited and happy and would love to share this with the community but instead of people being happy for me and my experiences they start complaining how stupid I am. Same when people see the specs for my computer. If I only got a nickle everytime people called me stupid for getting the 5960x only for gaming I'd be wealthy. 
It's not about bragging or anything I used to spend my days looking at other peoples builds and getting happy and I wanted to give back but this comunity is so hateful when someone does something they consider stupid.

Lastly I would like to assure everybody that I will be overclocking this cards and using whatever bios necessary once I get the waterblocks for it. Not even my CPU is overclocked yet. I could go on about this more but I feel that this is already way off topic but it really makes me sad when the people I used to look up to are so defensive about new people 

Good post.  I feel the same way. 
kainswiss
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 07:30:25 (permalink)
piloth
Scarlet-Tech

I think your being a bit dramatic. Nobody said anything bad about you. If anything someone suggesting you try flashing the bios as this was stated by Kingpin again? Don't you see this as help? But then you say no back at the guy because you paid so much for it. So how is anyone going to help you in the end?

And by the way three 34 inch Acer Predator monitors is bad ass. Do you have them on order, as I was wondering when the release date was for the g-sync model was?

piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 07:43:37 (permalink)
I might have exaggerated but it really hit a nerv. If you only knew how much hate I get.

Got them at home now. Windows does not want to play nice but when I works wow!
It's amazing!
kainswiss
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 07:46:47 (permalink)
piloth
I might have exaggerated but it really hit a nerv. If you only knew how much hate I get.

Got them at home now. Windows does not want to play nice but when I works wow!
It's amazing!

Were did you get those monitors from?

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 08:11:36 (permalink)
piloth
Scarlet-Tech

It is nothing to do with you buying what you want. I get that, as I do it and so should you. The part that is outrageous is the fact you won't take the factory bios, made by the factory, and given to you by the factory, to reflash your card with the factory applied settings, to see if that fixes the issue. THAT is the problem.. You are NOT modifying or putting some random Joe's bios on there. I am talking and clearly stated the EVGA factory bios.

For the people that think having a 5960x or K|ngp|n or 4 K|ngp|ns is outrageous... Who cares. Ignore them.

My issue is directly with your post about the bios statement. You legit purchased a fail proof card (with the bios.. Not overall.. Anything can fail obviously, this is just in flashing aspects) that had 3 bios options.. Say you flash and brick the ln2 bios (we know you won't.. Think theoretically for me).. So the ln2 bios chip is fully borked.. All you do is switch to the ocean switch, boot to Windows, once in Windows move the switch back to ln2 and flash a factory bios. Instantly fixing the ln2 bios 99.9% of the time.

But you just said you don't want to flash the bios that evga made for the card..

Ps. Can I see pictures of your rig, please.

PSS. again, contact customer support and get the bios thay they flash the cards with. It is from the factory, so it is a legit approved by EVGA bios.. It is a simple click and t does the work for you. All you have to do is disable the monitor on the hardware section while you flash it.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/09/13 08:16:25
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 08:15:27 (permalink)
i recently sent a support ticket in asking for the easy load bios (.exe) files.
i was told they are not available yet 
that was as of 9/8/15 
post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/09/13 08:18:57

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 08:17:50 (permalink)
Pgcmoore
i recently sent a support ticket in asking for the easy load bios (.exe) files.
i was told they are not available yet 

Dang it!

OK.. I can get the easy guide for it. It is an Nvidia approved bios, so it will be really easy to flash and only takes aa few seconds.

So,with that.. I stand 100% corrected.. It is not a simple click like I just edited my post to say. But it will only take a second to get a good read out if you want to try the EVGA approve factory bios to get the card to work. It is at least worth a shot to fix the flickering lights.
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 08:23:18 (permalink)
could also just be something in Precision, you may want to try completely un-installing it and reinstalling it. i have mine set completely off (via precision) then un-installed it so i could use AB, then they just stay off all the time. but i have not notice any blinking lights or strobing effect

post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/09/13 08:34:45

Attached Image(s)

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 08:26:23 (permalink)
I have removed precision as well.. It messes with every card I have, but not like that. That could very well be the issue since precision can control every light on the card.
Vipergtspa
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/13 09:35:49 (permalink)
k|ngp|n
Vipergtspa
I asked this question a few times earlier in this thread and I am also waiting to hear back from EVGA (called them 8/31/15) in regard's to what would cause this.

Anyone know what the red light on the right side of the card in between the kingpin logo on the back plate and the voltage switches indicates ? It only comes on at random times (some times after a driver crash) and needs a complete shut down to get it to turn off.
Both of my cards have had this light come on, regardless of which PCE slot they are in.

I never noticed the light before on my 980 kpe, but with the Ti's it has happened since day one. Earlier today when the red light came on with the top card it also changed all of the led's to the default white, then started to blink off and on.

I have tried four different driver's, PX installed and uninstalled with no change. I am not sure if this is an issue or not, just want to know what this light is for. Also does not seem to be linked with the LED flicker that happens every so often, my none Ti kpe did this as well.

When running in SLI the light will come on when the top card hit's 80C no matter what, which is hard to make happen lol. But when running each card single they will both do it regardless of temps, max is about 67C.

EDIT: 980TiKP_XOC.rom bios did not fix the led flickering or the mystery red light.  Also the driver will crash once the red light comes on and I exit the software.
Thanks

I forgot about that sentence. Vince said there will be a fix this week sometime for the LED flickering.

Also I did try reflashing the factory bios and the 980TiKP_XOC.rom and it did not fix the issue with the LED's for me.

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 22
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile