EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 18 of 22
Author
Szeged
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 517
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/02 19:16:29 (permalink)
Jayztwocent review of the kingpin was embarrassing. That clown didn't even know where to begin with the card. Such a shame to see the kpe card get compared to other generic cards in games. I really don't understand why people think he does good gpu reviews. You would get more info about the cards from the official specs page on websites than from his reviews.

5960x 4.8ghz @ 1.42v | tri SLI EVGA Titan X| Rampage V extreme | G.Skill 3000 c15 16gb | K|ngp|n Tek 9 FAT | K|ngp|n f1 extreme
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/02 19:21:11 (permalink)
k|ngp|n
FYI for anyone using the new 355+ drivers...

There are some new issues I'm seeing with these new 355 drivers + with grey screens and general instability when overclocking on 980ti kp. Especially on Ln2, its hard to extreme overclock on them and entirely possible NV has put some corking in these drivers related to power limts/thermals etc similar to what they did with 350.  If you run into any of these issues when overclocking or your card and it was perfectly stable before at a higher air clock like 1550mhz air, but now stuck 1520mhz or lower with grey screens and instability, this could be your problem. Seen it on multiple cards now.
Uninstall driver, sweep the registry, back to 353.62 and everything running fine and can max card out on air and push on Ln2 all the way without constant driver display errors.
I'm looking into it now... Jayz two centz was having exact same issues with his review card I sent him, he even said it in the video. NO idea what happened there lol, I sent that card personally and it's  a solid 1560mhz dx11 heaven extreme card on air.
He sent it back for me to check it and can 1550+ np lol. I think it must be related to this, but not sure yet. If anyone has similar issues like grey screens when setting clocks or voltage or the card suddenly loses mhz on air, can you try uninstalling the driver, using driver sweeper to remove ANY NV entries at all, and reinstall 353.30 or .62 see if it helps.

been seeing the same here, tried the new drivers for a few hours yesterday and anything over +125/350 hit a gray screen right after FS launch. Just wiped the drives of Win10 (forever?) / spent all day on a fresh 7 reboot and looking forward to tomorrow with glee!

my eyes hurt, and hey!! I won an Bot on ebay today!!!  whohooo!!!

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/02 19:30:29 (permalink)
k|ngp|n
What is the SLI problem? Been busy away from forums alot, I'll check it out.

Win 10 scaling issues that were specifically addresses by 355.80 hotfix and the newest WHQL driver.

Basically Win 10 stopped sli from being useful for a while.

I am also curious about the red light on the power end of the board as well. 2 of my 980 K|ngp|n's flash on at boot, but no idea what they are supposed to indicate.
ron biron
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/03 11:33:47 (permalink)
k|ngp|n
FYI for anyone using the new 355+ drivers...

There are some new issues I'm seeing with these new 355 drivers + with grey screens and general instability when overclocking on 980ti kp. Especially on Ln2, its hard to extreme overclock on them and entirely possible NV has put some corking in these drivers related to power limts/thermals etc similar to what they did with 350.  If you run into any of these issues when overclocking or your card and it was perfectly stable before at a higher air clock like 1550mhz air, but now stuck 1520mhz or lower with grey screens and instability, this could be your problem. Seen it on multiple cards now.
Uninstall driver, sweep the registry, back to 353.62 and everything running fine and can max card out on air and push on Ln2 all the way without constant driver display errors.
I'm looking into it now... Jayz two centz was having exact same issues with his review card I sent him, he even said it in the video. NO idea what happened there lol, I sent that card personally and it's  a solid 1560mhz dx11 heaven extreme card on air.
He sent it back for me to check it and can 1550+ np lol. I think it must be related to this, but not sure yet. If anyone has similar issues like grey screens when setting clocks or voltage or the card suddenly loses mhz on air, can you try uninstalling the driver, using driver sweeper to remove ANY NV entries at all, and reinstall 353.30 or .62 see if it helps.

Thank you I'm just putting together my new system with 2 kingpin cards and this will save me a lot of trouble before it starts. My thought would be why would they try and cap us like that or was the driver for some other reason not being concerned about gaming or over clocking? 
MunneY
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/03 12:25:57 (permalink)
hallowen
k|ngp|n
hallowen
Thanks Vince,
I was wondering why the Jayz two cents Video Review of the 980Ti KP couldn't get above 1520MHz, But didn't know it was a newer Nvidia Driver problem.

Not sure what his problem was, I just found these driver troubles last week.
That review was poorly done imo and seemed unprofessional to me.  I really expected more about all the features of the card like single slot capability, unique display config, pcb heater, more focus on robust memory overclocking, the fact that the card is more efficient per clock than all other Ti's, the support we are giving in the massive OC guide we posted, etc. He doesn't even understand how the nv delta clock works based on his overclocking chart. There is literally NO DIFFERENCE in real perf between overclocks on ANY card within 12mhz or less of each other. That chart showing overclocking was hilarious with cards less than 5mhz apart but KP still winning in just about every game benchmark. KP980ti should be numbero uno in every single benchmark even with a lower clock than all the other cards. He says no idea why based on his comments about why he doesn't understand some resolutions of benchmarks are scoring higher/lower. Delta just wasn't right on nv clock, if you run multiple instances with a real time clock monitor, you can see the clock in precision will change sometimes at start of bench or when setting offsets the frequency will jump 2-3 mhz with just 1 offset or not even change at all with up to 2+ offset.
That's my idea to send that card to him, he didn't ask for it or buy it on his own. I regret it now 100% now as it seems all he wanted to do was talk about his hairline, how expensive the card is, and then plug the lightning at the end :). 

I Agree, That is similar to what I stated in post #461 of this Thread about His Review:

" I stated "I Just Don't Know what to say anymore" because He didn't impress me with his "review" much at all including his reluctance to Try harder to Push for Higher Limits on Air Cooling not only with the GPU, But Also with the Superior Samsung Memory ( only just +400 more?) or to test the Card on LN2 which is MAINLY where the KPE Shines, if He had bothered to look at any of the Futuremark HOF Results.  

If you want to know how this 980 Ti KPE actually works on both Air and LN2 Cooling , Go read the posts over at Kingpincooling.com and get the Results/Views of Vince and Other Forum Members who KNOW how (and have), Pushed the Card to it's Full Potential in the way it was Designed to do. "

I'm disappointed with the tech scene as a whole.  I'm not a member of OCN's new review group and I can promise you, I will test the ever loving crap out of these cards.  

The tech youtube scene is generally so dumbed down so that normal people can understand it, it hurts on reviews for KPE, Lightnings and the likes.  The fact that Jay had an 80% card and was overclocking on air... didn't crank the memory, didn't bother to use the classified tool, nothing, is unacceptable to me.  It also baffles me that most of these reviewers have these cards and only run them on their stock fan profiles.

/rant

@K|ngP|n, thanks for yet another awesome card ( i haven't got to play with it yet ) but atleast I know how to use it.
piloth
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/04 23:42:13 (permalink)
Guys this is getting ridiculous! Yesterday one of my friends kingpin died! Different system then mine. He was running heaven with the stock cooler with the stock overclock in a 4 way SLI. Computer crashed just like mine and we found that one of the cards had died.

Artifacting and again the code 43 in Windows!

Evga support says we're just unlucky and there is nothing wrong with the cards in general but I'm getting worried. We still have 5 more cards and none of them have been stressed! What if tomorrow another one fails randomly or a month from now! I can't keep rmaing cards!

Why are our kingpins failing? Are we just that unlucky or is there a problem with the card?

I'm losing all my confidence in the kingpin cards

BTW the systems were running same specs but different parts.
Both had the X99 rampage V with a 5960x and 32 gb dominator ram. They had different psus as well
post edited by piloth - 2015/09/05 01:56:16
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/05 01:59:13 (permalink)
piloth
Guys this is getting ridiculous! Yesterday one of my friends kingpin died! Different system then mine. He was running heaven with the stock cooler with the stock overclock in a 4 way SLI. Computer crashed just like mine and we found that one of the cards had died.

Artifacting and again the code 43 in Windows!

Evga support says we're just unlucky and there is nothing wrong with the cards in general but I'm getting worried. We still have 5 more cards and none of them have been stressed! What if tomorrow another one fails randomly or a month from now! I can't keep rmaing cards!

Why are our kingpins failing? Are we just that unlucky or is there a problem with the card?

I'm losing all my confidence in the kingpin cards

BTW the systems were running same specs but different parts.
Both had the X99 rampage V with a 5960x and 32 gb dominator ram. They had different psus as well

What we're his temps.. 4 way sli on air isn't going to yield good temps at all, but it should not have died that quick at all.

Also, was he benchmarking it at the time.
piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/05 02:03:35 (permalink)
He was running a benchmark but with no overclock at all. Just the card out of the box. Temp was just below 80 I would guess.

Mine died in single card configuration with no overclock running Tomb Raider.

So basically within a week 2 out of our 7 cards have died. What makes me worried is that they have maybe 3 h of gaming/running benchmarks since we bought them.

Why do they keep failing? What's going on here. I understand that electronics can fail and you have a small percentage that needs to be RMAd but something does not feel right here.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/05 02:28:59 (permalink)
It may just be coincidence, but we will seese I haven't been seeing many reports of cards dying, thankfully.

I hope they get you taken care of asap.
kainswiss
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 06:34:47 (permalink)
k|ngp|n
hallowen
Thanks Vince,
I was wondering why the Jayz two cents Video Review of the 980Ti KP couldn't get above 1520MHz, But didn't know it was a newer Nvidia Driver problem.

That review was poorly done imo and seemed unprofessional to me.  I really expected more about all the features of the card like single slot capability, unique display config, pcb heater, more focus on robust memory overclocking, the fact that the card is more efficient per clock than all other Ti's, the support we are giving in the massive OC guide we posted, etc. He doesn't even understand how the nv delta clock works based on his overclocking chart. There is literally NO DIFFERENCE in real perf between overclocks on ANY card within 12mhz or less of each other. That chart showing overclocking was hilarious with cards less than 5mhz apart but KP still winning in just about every game benchmark. KP980ti should be numero uno in every single benchmark even with a lower clock than all the other cards. He says no idea why based on his comments about why he doesn't understand some resolutions of benchmarks are scoring higher/lower. Delta just wasn't right on nv clock, if you run multiple instances with a real time clock monitor, you can see the clock in precision will change sometimes at start of bench or when setting offsets the frequency will jump 2-3 mhz with just 1 offset or not even change at all with up to 2+ offset.
That's my idea to send that card to him, he didn't ask for it or buy it on his own. I regret it now 100% now as it seems all he wanted to do was talk about his hairline, how expensive the card is, and then plug the lightning at the end :). 

Vince, I have been busy with work. But I watched that video and was totally pissed off. Because he missed the mark on everything! how can you review a card and not talk about how it looks, the mini display ports being a great option over other cards. He did not even display the card in his system to show temps, fan rpm, he just appeared un interested. Then yeah his stupid hair line. It seemed more like a rant, not explaining properly about asic quality, but more on how confused he was about the price, his bench marks were strange as hell. Not even sure why he was even showing those. He seems to do good reviews on products, but he missed the mark with the king! maybe msi paid him lol

FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 08:12:14 (permalink)
I wasn't going to mention anything, but since this is became a topic/issue I must well join in on my nephews behalf.
He got Kingpin 4 days ago after selling his Titan Black, yesterday while running Unigine_Heaven-4.0 card burned, literately smelled burned, he was devastated, is it that card or Heavens problem, why I mention heaven?  when I was running Heaven-4 3way sli Titan Black my PC sometimes would shot down
pathfindercod
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 08:22:17 (permalink)
Seems like failure rate is kinda high?
piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 08:27:45 (permalink)
Wish evga could adress this. I thought these cards were "hand picked"

My working cards are still in their boxes but I will start stressing them tomorrow without any overclock and we will see if any more of my cards fail.
But hey maybe I get another xl t-shirt when I get my rmas back.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 08:28:18 (permalink)
Yeah, unfortunately, it does seem that the failure rate may be fairly high right now.  I have seen quite a few people mentioning their cards going down.  Hopefully this is just coincidence.
piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 08:30:20 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Yeah, unfortunately, it does seem that the failure rate may be fairly high right now.  I have seen quite a few people mentioning their cards going down.  Hopefully this is just coincidence.

Don't think it's a coincidence anymore. Now it's more of a trend.
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 08:37:38 (permalink)
Yes, the failure of the card seem to be on high site to be a coincident
MunneY
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 12:31:15 (permalink)
I have to agree that there are several people reporting this, but you guys do understand most of what you are seeing is only the people who's cards have died and not the hundreds/thousands of other people who have them with no issues?

I'm not saying there isn't a problem.. I'm just saying, "the squeaky wheel"
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 12:38:04 (permalink)
There is also the very limited number that have been sold compared to standard cards. There was only 16-17 the first round.. Then another 15 or so after that.. Then there were many more quickly released.
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 13:17:02 (permalink)
I have to agree that there are several people reporting this, but you guys do understand most of what you are seeing is only the people who's cards have died and not the hundreds/thousands of other people who have them with no issues?

Not all that have faced the problem will report it. My Nephew is good example, he would have never said anything, but I end up helping him moving his furniture as he is going away to school and that's the only way I knew. He said he was going to deal with that directly with EVGA, he had no intention on posting that anywhere.
pathfindercod
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/08 14:35:29 (permalink)
MunneY

There are very limited number of kingpin owners compared the other models of cards. Most of the people here are regulars and not a random person reporting a issue.
k|ngp|n
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 90
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 18:02:42 (permalink)
piloth
He was running a benchmark but with no overclock at all. Just the card out of the box. Temp was just below 80 I would guess.

Mine died in single card configuration with no overclock running Tomb Raider.

So basically within a week 2 out of our 7 cards have died. What makes me worried is that they have maybe 3 h of gaming/running benchmarks since we bought them.

Why do they keep failing? What's going on here. I understand that electronics can fail and you have a small percentage that needs to be RMAd but something does not feel right here.

The card died in single card configuration with no OC running tomb raider....yet I and at least 6 other guys I know very well can push 1.9v core and 1.9v memory through a card that is rated for 1500W+ every day for hrs and hrs and never have a card die? cmon.. When did you send the card back and where did you send it too? Were any of the jumpers changed on it before it died? was it flashed to the extreme overclocking bios? Also maybe you can share whole system specs and the sw used on the card.
I'd like to see this card,  both of them actually.
The spec and ratings on this card far exceed anything you could ever do to damage it on air/water. I cringe when I see clueless maxwell users slamming the card with voltage on air without any gains, but even this shouldn't be an issue. 
FYI..first batch of these cards was 1k pieces if u wanted to know how many are made.

pathfindercod
MunneY

There are very limited number of kingpin owners compared the other models of cards. Most of the people here are regulars and not a random person reporting a issue.

Nonsense, there is not a problem with the card. It's insanely robust and you guys have no idea the amount of testing that went into it to ensure its the best 980Ti in the world.

AWK16
Yes, the failure of the card seem to be on high site to be a coincident 

What is the "high site to be a coincident" ?  Can you explain please

post edited by k|ngp|n - 2015/09/09 20:38:13

Szeged
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 517
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 18:09:30 (permalink)
probably tried to push 1.5v+ on air with stock fan profile to try to get 1600mhz on the core because people still havent figured out that is near impossible yet.

I doubt these cards are randomly dying under normal circumstances, especially running at stock in a game like tomb raider.

5960x 4.8ghz @ 1.42v | tri SLI EVGA Titan X| Rampage V extreme | G.Skill 3000 c15 16gb | K|ngp|n Tek 9 FAT | K|ngp|n f1 extreme
k|ngp|n
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 18:28:13 (permalink)
MunneY
hallowen
k|ngp|n
hallowen
Thanks Vince,

That review was poorly done imo and seemed unprofessional to me.  I really expected more about all the features of the card like single slot capability, unique display config, pcb heater, more focus on robust memory overclocking, the fact that the card is more efficient per clock than all other Ti's, the support we are giving in the massive OC guide we posted, etc. He doesn't even understand how the nv delta clock works based on his overclocking chart. There is literally NO DIFFERENCE in real perf between overclocks on ANY card within 12mhz or less of each other. That chart showing overclocking was hilarious with cards less than 5mhz apart but KP still winning in just about every game benchmark. KP980ti should be numbero uno in every single benchmark even with a lower clock than all the other cards. He says no idea why based on his comments about why he doesn't understand some resolutions of benchmarks are scoring higher/lower. Delta just wasn't right on nv clock, if you run multiple instances with a real time clock monitor, you can see the clock in precision will change sometimes at start of bench or when setting offsets the frequency will jump 2-3 mhz with just 1 offset or not even change at all with up to 2+ offset.

I Agree, That is similar to what I stated in post #461 of this Thread about His Review:

" I stated "I Just Don't Know what to say anymore" because He didn't impress me with his "review" much at all including his reluctance to Try harder to Push for Higher Limits on Air Cooling not only with the GPU, But Also with the Superior Samsung Memory ( only just +400 more?) or to test the Card on LN2 which is MAINLY where the KPE Shines, if He had bothered to look at any of the Futuremark HOF Results.  

If you want to know how this 980 Ti KPE actually works on both Air and LN2 Cooling , Go read the posts over at Kingpincooling.com and get the Results/Views of Vince and Other Forum Members who KNOW how (and have), Pushed the Card to it's Full Potential in the way it was Designed to do. "

I'm disappointed with the tech scene as a whole.  I'm not a member of OCN's new review group and I can promise you, I will test the ever loving crap out of these cards.  

The tech youtube scene is generally so dumbed down so that normal people can understand it, it hurts on reviews for KPE, Lightnings and the likes.  The fact that Jay had an 80% card and was overclocking on air... didn't crank the memory, didn't bother to use the classified tool, nothing, is unacceptable to me.  It also baffles me that most of these reviewers have these cards and only run them on their stock fan profiles.

/rant

@K|ngP|n, thanks for yet another awesome card ( i haven't got to play with it yet ) but atleast I know how to use it.

Thanx for your kind words. THE OVERCLOCKER online magazine will publish a proper review of the card soon, you guys gotta catch that for sure..

Vipergtspa
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 233
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 18:36:15 (permalink)
I asked this question a few times earlier in this thread and I am also waiting to hear back from EVGA (called them 8/31/15) in regard's to what would cause this.

Anyone know what the red light on the right side of the card in between the kingpin logo on the back plate and the voltage switches indicates ? It only comes on at random times (some times after a driver crash) and needs a complete shut down to get it to turn off.
Both of my cards have had this light come on, regardless of which PCE slot they are in.

I never noticed the light before on my 980 kpe, but with the Ti's it has happened since day one. Earlier today when the red light came on with the top card it also changed all of the led's to the default white, then started to blink off and on.

I have tried four different driver's, PX installed and uninstalled with no change. I am not sure if this is an issue or not, just want to know what this light is for. Also does not seem to be linked with the LED flicker that happens every so often, my none Ti kpe did this as well.

When running in SLI the light will come on when the top card hit's 80C no matter what, which is hard to make happen lol. But when running each card single they will both do it regardless of temps, max is about 67C.

EDIT: 980TiKP_XOC.rom bios did not fix the led flickering or the mystery red light.  Also the driver will crash once the red light comes on and I exit the software.
Thanks
post edited by Vipergtspa - 2015/09/09 18:50:06

Intel i7-8700K 5.1GHz 1.344V-Asus ROG Maximus X Formula Z370-EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 2100MHz/6496MHz -16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum@3200Mhz-EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2-EK Custom Water Loop-2 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD -1 Samsung 970 Pro 500GB M.2-Phantek Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass-Windows 10 64bit-Dell S2716DG 27" G-Sync 2560X1440-Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media Speakers

k|ngp|n
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 19:24:58 (permalink)
Vipergtspa
I asked this question a few times earlier in this thread and I am also waiting to hear back from EVGA (called them 8/31/15) in regard's to what would cause this.

Anyone know what the red light on the right side of the card in between the kingpin logo on the back plate and the voltage switches indicates ? It only comes on at random times (some times after a driver crash) and needs a complete shut down to get it to turn off.
Both of my cards have had this light come on, regardless of which PCE slot they are in.

I never noticed the light before on my 980 kpe, but with the Ti's it has happened since day one. Earlier today when the red light came on with the top card it also changed all of the led's to the default white, then started to blink off and on.

I have tried four different driver's, PX installed and uninstalled with no change. I am not sure if this is an issue or not, just want to know what this light is for. Also does not seem to be linked with the LED flicker that happens every so often, my none Ti kpe did this as well.

When running in SLI the light will come on when the top card hit's 80C no matter what, which is hard to make happen lol. But when running each card single they will both do it regardless of temps, max is about 67C.

EDIT: 980TiKP_XOC.rom bios did not fix the led flickering or the mystery red light.  Also the driver will crash once the red light comes on and I exit the software.
Thanks

The red light your talking about is an indicator that is related to PCB temperature monitoring. Just ignore it. Its essentially monitoring pcb temps and when the heater is enabled, there are handshakes between the two. The LED reset that happens on your card is related to this and can happen if the card exceeds 70C.
The LED reset that happens randomly on some cards like u are describing is a minor FW issue with some of the first cards that were released. Tin will post a ez DIY fix for this at KPC sometime next week FYI    
On a side note, the PCB heater function ABSOLUTELY CANNOT power on without removing the cooler and making the proper hard mods to the 980ti kp pcb. We did this for a specific reason, as to make it impossible for the heater to turn on unintentionally.
post edited by k|ngp|n - 2015/09/09 19:29:05

piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 22:36:34 (permalink)
k|ngp|n
The card died in single card configuration with no OC running tomb raider....yet I and at least 6 other guys I know very well can push 1.9v core and 1.9v memory through a card that is rated for 1500W+ every day for hrs and hrs and never have a card die? cmon.. When did you send the card back and where did you send it too? Were any of the jumpers changed on it before it died? was it flashed to the extreme overclocking bios? Also maybe you can share whole system specs and the sw used on the card.
The spec and ratings on this card far exceed anything you could ever do to damage it on air/water. I cringe when I see clueless maxwell users slamming the card with voltage on air without any gains, but even this shouldn't be an issue. 
FYI..first batch of these cards was 1k pieces if u wanted to know how many are made.

Right, full spec is:
5960x
32gb DDR4 corsair dominator 2888
2 x samsung 850 pro
Used 2 PSU, one was the RM1000i my friend had the AX1200i. We also have 3 sunflower 8pac edition rated for 2000W but they were never used with the cards.

Mine was sent back a week ago to EVGA I can PM you the RMA number if you want and my friend has the RMA approved but have not sent it back yet.
There was NO overclock at all! I did not touch the BIOS and it was still on the stock. Went no where near any jumpers. 
Like I said I was playing Tomb Raider with one card, he was running Heaven with 4. 
Currently I have 2 of them in SLI and they are working fine. Will try to put 3 in when I get back the faulty one from the RMA.

k|ngp|n
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 23:19:22 (permalink)
piloth
k|ngp|n

Right, full spec is:
5960x
32gb DDR4 corsair dominator 2888
2 x samsung 850 pro
Used 2 PSU, one was the RM1000i my friend had the AX1200i. We also have 3 sunflower 8pac edition rated for 2000W but they were never used with the cards.

Mine was sent back a week ago to EVGA I can PM you the RMA number if you want and my friend has the RMA approved but have not sent it back yet.
There was NO overclock at all! I did not touch the BIOS and it was still on the stock. Went no where near any jumpers. 
Like I said I was playing Tomb Raider with one card, he was running Heaven with 4. 
Currently I have 2 of them in SLI and they are working fine. Will try to put 3 in when I get back the faulty one from the RMA.

Listen, I tried 4 way on these even at stock they run a lot hotter than when in single mode. You guys need to understand that the bin of the card is HIGH and capable of very high clocks. These gpus can heat up if not cooled properly. It is a performance card all the way. I would suggest to use my XOC bios with real 100% fan speed for 4 way SLI if your keeping the air coolers on.
and for any benching at all, I would suggest at a minimum to use 100% fan speed on stock bios.

Pm me the rma number. A card dying when doing nothing at all is a really strange circumstance, not the norm lol. I would think about PSU and mobo as well. Be careful with your other cards and Id suggest to not run them in your configuration unless you know 100% another component isnt at fault. Psu's can kill vga's as well.
You only used one psu on the system? and your friend only used one PSU on his? Completely separate systems?
What psu and mobo was on your system when the card died?

DirtySouthWookie
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 23:24:00 (permalink)
Jay2 is just a basic reviewer. He does have Basic pc knowledge and building skills, but who doesn't that's not an enthusiest? He is not a real technical guy as you can tell from any of his reviews. He opens up with, "This card is meant for ln2 and water at the least." Then, slams it when its on air? Anything he says most people know to take with a grain of salt. 

SLI EVGA GTX 980 TI SC Reference EK WB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNU4xhWA88k
Acer X34 Gsync
16464 FS Extreme:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5638585

piloth
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/09 23:24:15 (permalink)
k|ngp|n

Listen, I tried 4 way on these even at stock they run a lot hotter than when in single mode. You guys need to understand that the bin of the card is HIGH and capable of very high clocks. These gpus can heat up if not cooled properly. It is a performance card all the way. I would suggest to use my XOC bios with real 100% fan speed for 4 way SLI if your keeping the air coolers on.
and for any benching at all, I would suggest at a minimum to use 100% fan speed on stock bios.

Pm me the rma number. A card dying when doing nothing at all is a really strange circumstance, not the norm lol. I would think about PSU and mobo as well. Be careful with your other cards and Id suggest to not run them in your configuration unless you know 100% another component isnt at fault. Psu's can kill vga's as well.
You only used one psu on the system? and your friend only used one PSU on his? Completely separate systems?
What psu and mobo was on your system when the card died?

I think his temps were around 85ish 

I have since replaced the PSU just to be on the safe side and I am thinking of replacing the mobo if I have any more problems.
He had a identical set up but with different PSU, they were completely different systems. We bought the cards together and we built our systems together that's the only thing.

Both systems were running the Asus X99 Rampage V extreme one had the RM1000i and the other the AX1200i.

I will PM you the RMA number 
kainswiss
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N 2015/09/10 02:58:27 (permalink)
That seems very strange for a card like this to just die! Well evga has you covered. this card is a beast. I love it to death. Hands down the best 980ti out there period. How are you getting on with the other two cards?

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 18 of 22
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile