EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed

Author
meroced
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/02/04 04:19:12 (permalink)
Greetings folks,

First off, I would like to say that I have searched this forum and the web for numerous hours already and have read loads of suggestions but to no success.

Here are my specs:

OS - Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU - Intel i7 4770K
RAM - 32 GB Corsair CMY32GX3M4A1600C9
Mobo - Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 (Bios F7 latest official release) I have tried the latest Beta version F8d
Graphics - 2 * EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB - SLI Enabled (Max Performance) - Latest Official Nvidia release & Latest Nvidia Beta Release
HDD - Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB
PSU - Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold Evolution

My Issue:
Video Card fans will spin up to 100% randomly, no particular action will set it off. This can happen when the system is idle, copying data, browsing the net, watching Youtube, playing a video on VLC to playing video games. It can have intervals of a few minutes to a couple of hours between spin ups.

Diagnose:
Precision X, HWMonitor & Speccy has been used to monitor the behavior.
Idle temps for both cards avg 35C. Checked to see if the temperature changes when catching the fans at 100%.
The temps don't change, however with Precision X I'm able to control the fan speeds and I did setup a profile with my own curve.
Left it for a day, but it still managed to bypass my curve and spin up randomly.

I've done clean installs and only put the bare minimum, I've disabled my onboard graphics via the bios. Primary display is set to Pcie1.
I have been gaming and I don't seem to have any issues, I'm yet to do a full stress test but just the fact of hearing those fans rev up bugs the hell out of me.
All my other other fans in the case (Corsair 900D) are fan controlled including my Corsair H110.

Something did catch my eye on GPU-Z in the Bus Interface, both cards would read PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 3.0 when selected.
However after waiting a couple of seconds it would read PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 1.1.
Now I read that this was normal behavior, for saving power output and that if I did a render test full screen both would display 3.0
However doing a render test full screen starts off with both cards @ 3.0 but then the bottom one drops to 1.1, I'm yet to read up on that.

I hope I've given enough details to start with.
This system is my first SLI setup,  so I'm still learning the ropes.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully help me on my quest to silence these fans !!

Mero

17 Replies Related Threads

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/04 07:11:49 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA forums

"Precision X, HWMonitor & Speccy..."

These programs can -cause- the fan ramping issue you are describing, by fighting over sensor polling on the card and/or becoming abnormal because of corrupted data.

---This would appear to be what has happened to you---

Question:
    Are you using ANY other "software" for your case fan controls (SpeedFan, Gigabyte MB software..Etc) or are your fans and H110 simply MB fan header BIOS controlled?
    ---------------------------------------------

Use of too many programs that try and poll the same sensors (videocard temp and fan control sensors) can lead to whats called a SMB conflict.
    This is made much more likely as many programs are NOT working correctly in Windows 8.1

The recovery and testing should be fairly simple
    *NOTE: do NOT skip any of the reboots listed in the recovery below

Shut down and completely Uninstall HWMonitor, and then reboot
    Shutdown and completely Uninstall Speccy, and then reboot

Shutdown and completely Uninstall Precision
    *Important: During the Precision uninstall--> a box will come up for saving data that has "yes" as the DEFAULT
    You MUST change this to -NO- and NOT save that Data as it may have become corrupted
    After the Precision uninstall is complete, you must reboot the computer once

After rebooting, you may put Precision back in (only the latest version 4.2.1)
    *it is suggested to uncheck the RTSS (riva tuner) addon during the install.
    Leave the program at 100% defaults, except for "Start with Windows"
    For now leave the Precision fan control at DEFAULT (for now)

You should now test
    Use Heaven 4.0 for testing, as its Win 8 and SLI behavior are well known
    ----------------------------------------

*if you have "other" software that monitors videocard temps and/or monitors or controls fan speeds such as SpeedFan, AIDA or -any- MB addon GPU monitoring/control PLEASE POST WHAT PROGRAMS YOU HAVE INSTALLED

Also, please post what computer case you are using....
    ACX cards are not ideal and can be problematic running in SLI without the proper case and airflow.   

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/02/04 07:31:38

meroced
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/04 12:30:33 (permalink)
    Hello maniacvvv

Thank you for your welcome and response.
    I will give your suggestions a go, however over the course of my many clean formats I've only had two of those software mentioned installed in one instance.
    Each time however had Precision X.

I do not have any other software that control my fans, I have a good old Zalman fan controller for all my fans in my Corsair 900D. (Hence the temp monitoring tools)
    Why I didn't go with MB fan headers? 1. I have too many fans 2. Wanted manual control for silence operation under the right environment 3. The motherboards CPU bios sensor is off by 10 Degrees and would make my H110 go nuts at times.

This case (Corsair 900D) is huge, and I wouldn't think that having this SLI setup would be an issue, like I mentioned both cards idle @ 35C avg. I think that's pretty decent.

Anyway I will do some testing with just Precision X installed (I have been using the latest version and never installed Riva Tuner with it)

Also do you have any ideas on my GPU-Z showing both my cards as 3.0 & 1.1?
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/04 14:44:58 (permalink)
    "do you have any ideas on my GPU-Z showing both my cards as 3.0 & 1.1?"

This is completely normal and does NOT mean its really running that way, it the testing used that causes that.

I -HIGHLY- suggest you follow the exact instructions posted below
    ---------------------------------

Shutdown and completely Uninstall Precision
    *Important: During the Precision uninstall--> a box will come up for saving data that has "yes" as the DEFAULT
    You MUST change this to -NO- and NOT save that Data as it may have become corrupted
    After the Precision uninstall is complete, you must reboot the computer once

After rebooting, you may put Precision back in (only the latest version 4.2.1)
    *it is suggested to uncheck the RTSS (riva tuner) addon during the install.
    Leave the program at 100% defaults, except for "Start with Windows"
    For now leave the Precision fan control at DEFAULT (for now)
    ------------------------------------

This will clear a KNOWN PROBLEM with corrupted Precision data files, that CAUSES YOUR EXACT REPORTED ISSUES
    *if you do not uninstall in this EXACT manner and answer NO to saving the data file, the corruption will remain when you reinstall the program

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/04 18:02:47 (permalink)
    I had ramping and card crashing once. Precision had a bug where if you put the computer to sleep and woke it back up the fans would be locked at 40%... Fried one of my cards when I fired up a game and didn't know about the bug. However, Maniac is correct, running Precision with another sensor monitoring program can cause this as well. 
    post edited by chrisdglong - 2014/02/04 18:05:15
    meroced
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/12 00:56:39 (permalink)
    Sorry for such a late response, I didn't realise I had to have the remember me ticked in order to post on the forums...

Anyway, I've done all the steps above about uninstalling, reboot, uninstalling, reboot, then re installing Precision X 4.21 with default settings (I made sure it didn't keep the old settings when uninstalling).

Still the same issues, temperatures don't change but the fans will just rev up. Today my wife told me that the fans randomly went to 100% for a full 3 hours and never let off. And my computer wasn't doing anything, and it wasn't hot.

I've also had a clean install with no monitoring software and the fans will still rev up to 100%. It's really starting to annoy me, as I really can't deduct what is triggering the issue.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/12 01:08:27 (permalink)
    Silly question, is it one or both fans ? I ask, because one of the members had something stuck in one fan, so it caused the other to go full speed... Maybe worth a look at the fans.
    dpoverlord
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/12 09:47:33 (permalink)
    I have 2 suggestions, since it's an EVGA card they have 24x7 tech support. 1-888-881-3842 option 1 then option 1 # # # 

My other suggestion:
    Have you made a fan profile in EVGA precision?
    When opened hit fan curve and check how it is setup.

Battlestation:http://imgur.com/a/j4rt4
    MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme - 5930k 
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB
    GPU: Tri-SLI EVGA Titan X SC
    Monitor: Samsung JS9500 65"
    PSU: G2 1300
    HD: Samsung 850Pro 1TB / 3 WD Red 4tb, Seagate 3TB
    Case/Cooling: Lian Li PC-70 modded 10+fans
    RET:X58-UD5/Xeon [link=mailto:X5660@4.67/G.skill]5660@4.67/G.skill[/link] 12GB/Ultra 120 Extreme
    meroced
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/12 12:04:17 (permalink)
    It's not just one fan, it's both. I went in the case once using a brush to softly slow them down and had to apply it to all fans.

As for the profile, that was one of the first things I did. It would take on the profile and increase the fan speeds based on the curve I gave it, but again randomly would go 100% even when my profile was active.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/12 12:26:03 (permalink)
    meroced
    It's not just one fan, it's both. I went in the case once using a brush to softly slow them down and had to apply it to all fans.

As for the profile, that was one of the first things I did. It would take on the profile and increase the fan speeds based on the curve I gave it, but again randomly would go 100% even when my profile was active.

Are you using ANY other software that can monitor or change the GPU fan speeds. AIDA64, Speed Fan, Nvidia Inspector, vendor motherboard utilities etc etc.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/12 12:43:12 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    meroced

Are you using ANY other software that can monitor or change the GPU fan speeds. AIDA64, Speed Fan, Nvidia Inspector, vendor motherboard utilities etc etc.

+1
    Uninstall--> HWMonitor & Speccy (BOTH of these are using the GPU sensors(!!

Also--> "Today my wife told me that the fans randomly went to 100% for a full 3 hours"

I dont think you understand how serious your problem could be..
    When having these types of problems SHUT THE COMPUTER DOWN when you are not in front of it.
    The potential for more loss than just the GPUs would appear to be present on your system...

Question: Have you run a FULL Malwarebytes (with latest updated definitions) you "could" have a Bitcoin miner infection.
    While I'm 98% sure your having just a software conflict problem, a bitcoin infection should be ruled out as well.

meroced
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/12 15:10:47 (permalink)
    I wish I could quote myself on previous post... I'll just paste it here again

"I've also had a clean install with no monitoring software and the fans will still rev up to 100%. It's really starting to annoy me, as I really can't deduct what is triggering the issue."

Clean install as in Windows 8.1 with just basic drivers & windows updates & latest nvidia drivers.

Again, in my very first post on this thread "I've done clean installs and only put the bare minimum"

Id like to think that when I say the bare minimum means just what i've mentioned above, meaning no monitoring software whatsoever, no vendor motherboard utilities.
    Nothing to tell me temperatures or clock speeds or whatever for that matter. 

Just Windows 8.1, latest windows updates, latest Nvidia Drivers, latest motherboard drivers... That's it !!
    Leave the machine on all day doing absolutely #### all... Fans rev up randomly or stay at full speed for 3 hours like it happened to my wife.

I do apologies for being like this but I'm getting really frustrated.

meroced
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/02/13 04:13:28 (permalink)
    Well then, seems there is something odd with my rig.

I'm currently testing the cards on a spare rig and all is normal, 11 hours in and no unusual fan speeds...
    I had this feeling that there were nothing wrong with the cards, could play games without issues and the temps were normal in idle and under load.
    Mr_Rust-EZZE
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/12/10 22:59:23 (permalink)
    I have only one fan on my EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified run at full speed and make a lot of noise. Has the solution been found yet??
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/12/11 11:55:14 (permalink)
    Mr_Rust-EZZE
    I have only one fan on my EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified run at full speed and make a lot of noise. Has the solution been found yet??

Time to contact EVGA tech support if only one fan is spinning.
    edd080
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2014/12/25 00:34:25 (permalink)
    meroced
    Well then, seems there is something odd with my rig.

I'm currently testing the cards on a spare rig and all is normal, 11 hours in and no unusual fan speeds...
    I had this feeling that there were nothing wrong with the cards, could play games without issues and the temps were normal in idle and under load.

Hi there did you get it sorted as iam having a similar issue with my 780 Ti too i even made a clean install of win 8.1 but thw fans go to 100% as soon as i install an nvidia driver. 
    Thanks.

post edited by edd080 - 2014/12/25 03:22:25
    Matinv12
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2015/08/27 15:46:02 (permalink)
    Hello, I have an EVGA 780 Ti and the same problem as you. Once I install an Nvidia driver, the fans suddenly go to 100%.

werferkaiser
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 3GB Fans Randomly Go Full Speed 2016/10/13 16:38:58 (permalink)
    Just found this post, having the same issues with a gtx 980ti acx
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile