EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA GTX 960 likely lost/stolen, any way to "brick" it...?

Author
nthill88
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/30 13:17:30 (permalink)
Hey all,

Long story short: I trusted someone to try my card after they had been asking for quite a long time to do so. After 2-3 weeks, I asked about getting the card back and they informed me it had been stolen. Now, to be fair, they did get broken into and electronics (including the computer) were taken. This is an individual I trust and I am 99% certain they aren't pulling my leg. We discussed the matter at hand, and she suggested I see if there is a way to make the card unusable, as I have already taken steps to acquire a new, upgraded card. 

I am not interested in going through the loopholes of police paperwork personally, like they did (I believe they did at least), but I do not want anybody using *my* card that I thankfully had the foresight to register through EVGA. Is it possible to "brick" said card, or to make it unworkable in any way? I am already ordering a new, upgraded card and am cutting my loses in that regard. But I would get a bit of a smile if I knew the person/persons who yanked my card are completely unable to use it, pawn it, whatever the heck they thought when they took it. 

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated - many thanks!

MDeckerM
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1799
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: EVGA GTX 960 likely lost/stolen, any way to "brick" it...? 2016/07/30 13:22:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby EVGATech_EddieH 2016/07/30 16:51:33
Hello,

bricking the card remotely would be impossible. I recommend you email support@evga.com with the serial number so that we can make note that it is a stolen product.
EVGATech_JaesonW
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 910
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: EVGA GTX 960 likely lost/stolen, any way to "brick" it...? 2016/08/01 06:27:17 (permalink)
nthill88, welcome to the forums, I wish your first time joining us were under better circumstances. Although we can't remotely disable the card as Matthew said, since you do have it registered already I've flagged it with a global ticket that it was reported stolen. That will at least prevent anyone else from claiming warranty on it. If anyone does attempt to, we'll let you know and you can file a police report. 

EVGA Customer Service Manager
Have a moment? Please rate our service 
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102241
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: EVGA GTX 960 likely lost/stolen, any way to "brick" it...? 2016/08/01 06:46:39 (permalink)
nthill88
Hey all,

Long story short: I trusted someone to try my card after they had been asking for quite a long time to do so. After 2-3 weeks, I asked about getting the card back and they informed me it had been stolen. Now, to be fair, they did get broken into and electronics (including the computer) were taken. This is an individual I trust and I am 99% certain they aren't pulling my leg. We discussed the matter at hand, and she suggested I see if there is a way to make the card unusable, as I have already taken steps to acquire a new, upgraded card. 

I am not interested in going through the loopholes of police paperwork personally, like they did (I believe they did at least), but I do not want anybody using *my* card that I thankfully had the foresight to register through EVGA. Is it possible to "brick" said card, or to make it unworkable in any way? I am already ordering a new, upgraded card and am cutting my loses in that regard. But I would get a bit of a smile if I knew the person/persons who yanked my card are completely unable to use it, pawn it, whatever the heck they thought when they took it. 

If the person you loaned it to has household insurance and hopefully not too large a deductible a claim can be filed if covered under the policy. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: EVGA GTX 960 likely lost/stolen, any way to "brick" it...? 2016/08/01 07:04:12 (permalink)
rjohnson11
nthill88
Hey all,

If the person you loaned it to has household insurance and hopefully not too large a deductible a claim can be filed if covered under the policy. 

If you want to get into the legality of it, I'm pretty sure they can show proof of ownership and sue if they wanted to, but is it worth a friendship?

Sucks it happened though..

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8327
  • Ribbons : 47
Re: EVGA GTX 960 likely lost/stolen, any way to "brick" it...? 2016/08/01 07:35:59 (permalink)
Not to be misunderstood, but if I were the person who borrowed your card, and it was stolen...I would be more than willing to replace the card for you.  You were a good friend to lend the card to begin with.  It is sad that you are out a GPU due to what has happened.  Just my $.02.

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile