EVGA

EVGA G2 850 cables

Author
neocasses
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/09 06:25:57 (permalink)
I have a question about the cables required to run a EVGA GTX780 Hydro.

My current setup is an EVGA G2 850 PSU, EVGA GTX 780 Hydro card, EVGA X58 FTW mbrd, they have served me well and I am very happy with them, but I thought I would try SLI for the first time while waiting for Pascal to come out (from EVGA of course). So I find an identical EVGA card to my existing one on the market and eagerly look forward to receiving it.

Card arrives ok and on time, but my first question when I open the new card is that I see it comes with 2 sets of compression fittings, after checking the box for my existing card I find my original didnt. I never noticed this shoratge to start with as I had bought a complete set of barbs, tubes, reservoir and pump before hand.
So I contact support and try to explain the problem, enquiring if I could get a set of the 1/2"-3/4" EVGA fittings, short story was ..  go to the shop and buy them. This is difficult as they are not listed in the EVGA shop. Not a big problem, I go and by 4 new compression fittings from elsewhere (Barrow make for those interested, so far I am impressed with them).

Now we come to my main question. I have found that my original 780 requires 2 cables with the 6+2 connectors to work, it does not work with the 6+8 psu connector cable (msg appears on the screen about adding the correct cable). I am assuming that it needs the extra power for the overclocking.
This wasnt a big issue as the 850 came with 2x PSU to 8 pin VGA power cables, so I used those.

Now I have bought the 2nd card, I have found all I have available to use from the 850 supplied cables is a single PSU to 6+8 connector cable. Yet looking at the parts listing on the box I should have had 2 of these not just the one I have. Again not a big issue if I cant use them with my current cards.

So the question is .. Do I need to source an additional 8+8 cable from EVGA or can I get the 780 to use the existing 6+8 cable I have?

(as a note, I also have a corsair 860 psu in another pc and that comes with 2x 8+8 cables as standard, I could swap the psus around, but I would have preferred to keep my PC as an "EVGA" PC)

I should also mention the psu arrived with a Euro mains plug, which surprised me as I live in the UK and had it shipped there. I thought that the correct power cable had to be supplied. Also not a big problem as I had loads of UK versions aorund, but just a note for EVGA.
post edited by neocasses - 2016/02/09 06:29:05

2 Replies Related Threads

neocasses
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re: EVGA G2 850 cables 2016/02/09 09:22:48 (permalink)
    EVGATech_AndrewA
    Hello,

Your 850 G2 PSU should have came with 4x 8-Pin(6+2) connectors and 2x 6-Pin connectors for the PCIe which should be enough connectors for 2 GTX 780 GPU's as they use 1 8-Pin and 1 6-Pin connector. Keep in mind that the minimum power requirements for the GTX 780 Hydro is 600 Watts and the max power draw is 250 Watts so you might be cutting it a little close but it should be fine.

The Packaging lists only:
    2x (6+2)
    2x (6+2) +6
    Packaging shot

and I physically received in the box:
    2x (6+2)
    1x (6+2) +6

I have the HydroCopper Classified (pn 03G-P4-3789-KR), which requires 2x (6+2) per card:
    Spec sheet

Maybe the cable contents have changed recently for the 850 G2 (I purchased this product direct from EVGA in August last year), but as supplied I cannot run 2 cards requiring 2x 8 pin connectors each.

Netrick
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: EVGA G2 850 cables 2016/02/09 09:56:33 (permalink)
    I just purchased the 850 G2 SuperNOVA from Newegg within the last week and can confirm it came with the 2x (6+2) and 2x (6+2) + 6 just as the manual shows should be included.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile