EVGA

EVGA 970 FTW vs MSI 970 Gaming 4G

Author
Ginwho
  • Total Posts : 99
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/06 04:25:19 (permalink)
I've been a loyal EVGA customer for 10 years, but I'm wondering if I should get the EVGA FTW card or the MSI Gaming 4G 970.  No, I'm not trolling, it's a legitimate question.  The 970 card reviews from BitTech compared the Asus STRIX, MSI Gaming 4G and EVGA 970 SC.  I know the FTW edition has higher clock speeds, but according to the BitTech review, the EVGA SC had some coil whine and they said both MSI and Asus didn't have that problem because they use higher quality components using 6 power phases vs 4 power phases that EVGA uses and according to them, this is what causes the coil whine.  They also said MSI's fans are better than EVGA's, it's both cooler and quieter.

Can anyone tell me if this is true or do they have it out for EVGA.  I know on an EVGA forum, people are going to vote for EVGA and I do too, I just have some questions.  I know the FTW 970 will outperform the MSI card, but it's clocked higher and in their review when they manually O/Ced them, the MSI card came out on top.

I actually bought a Gigabyte G1 Gaming WindForce card, but it was defective and it was too big for my sons case.  My son gets my cards after I upgrade.  It scored high on the synthetic tests like 3DMark and the Firestrike demo, but in actual gaming performance with Crysis 3 and SWTOR, it performed exactly like my EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC.

Do you think you guys can not be subjective and tell me if the MSI 970 is made better?  I just want the best 970 available.  Oh, I should note that the Gigabyte 970 that I had, actually had some coil whine but then maybe that's because it wasn't working right......don't know.

7 Replies Related Threads

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW vs MSI 970 Gaming 4G 2014/11/06 05:04:41 (permalink)
    By my reading all the Nvidia 900 series suffers from the problem.  All manufacturers have coil whine to some degree (or don't have it at all).  It's just the luck of the draw I think.  It's like humans... not every human is a whiner but when they are boy do you notice it.

Ginwho
    • Total Posts : 99
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW vs MSI 970 Gaming 4G 2014/11/06 05:10:19 (permalink)
    Well, I guess my question is moot now.  I bought the EVGA FTW card from Amazon, but they hadn't processed the order yet.  They said it would take 1 to 2 days to process.  I ordered the MSI Gaming 4G 970 from Newegg and they processed it immediately.  I didn't get the MSI card based on that factor.  Of course I want it yesterday, but I kept reading in forums and people seemed to want the MSI card more and I did seem to read the EVGA card, actually all the models seem to suffer from coil whine and loud fans and overheating.  Of course I'm referring to the ones that people have had problems with.  I have no doubt in my mind that there are more amazing EVGA 970's vs not, but this time around I'm going to go with MSI.  I have an MSI mobo anyway, so that goes together well.

My next upgrade will be in 2016 and I'll be doing a full upgrade at that time, not just the vid card, but everything.  I'll see what card EVGA has out at that time.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW vs MSI 970 Gaming 4G 2014/11/06 05:22:55 (permalink)
    Viper97
    By my reading all the Nvidia 900 series suffers from the problem.  All manufacturers have coil whine to some degree (or don't have it at all).  It's just the luck of the draw I think.  It's like humans... not every human is a whiner but when they are boy do you notice it.

Your answer is not accurate.

The quality of the components and the number of phases have a huge affect on how audible the coil whine. It is true that all the "reference" NVIDIA cards from various brands will be equally likely to exhibit certain properties since they are all essentially identical other than a different sticker. But non-reference cards do not behave according to the same general habits.

Coil whine is caused by pulsating current flowing through coils ("inductors" in the voltage regulation circuitry controlling impedance). It is a simple electromagnetic phenomenon. Reducing the strength of the eletromagnetic field by increasing the number of coils (less current flowing through each individual coil) or increasing the quality of the coils makes a huge difference.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/11/06 05:29:52
    sahafiec
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1344
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW vs MSI 970 Gaming 4G 2014/11/06 05:27:19 (permalink)
    why don't you just go on with your GTX 670 for another year Ginwho?
    you won't loose anything significant, believe me...

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW vs MSI 970 Gaming 4G 2014/11/06 05:30:34 (permalink)
    sahafiec
    why don't you just go on with your GTX 670 for another year Ginwho?
    you won't loose anything significant, believe me...

He already purchased the MSI 970 4G.
    sahafiec
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1344
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW vs MSI 970 Gaming 4G 2014/11/06 05:33:51 (permalink)
    right, well...

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

dave851
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1696
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW vs MSI 970 Gaming 4G 2014/11/06 05:53:26 (permalink)
    Well as for coil whine, pretty much all manufactures are having issues with it with there gtx 970's. From this poll on another little forum, you can see people are reporting coil whine from all manufactures. 

In terms of coolers, I will say that evga is not known to have the best aftermarket air coolers. It does its job but if your looking for silent operation then there are better options from other manufactures such as msi. 

As for the power phase deal, that has been hugely controversial. While having more phases does allow more power to be delivered to the gpu unit, this is something that doesn't always have a real world impact. Overbuilt power circuity usually only comes into play when you are going for very high overclocks. From the reviews that I have seen, if your simply going to run this card on air then silicon lottery will play more of a factor on your overclock then having extra power phases. Having more power available only means higher overclocks when the gpu itself can actually reach such a clock speed that it needs the extra power. 

In the end this is my opinion, the real world difference between evga and the others is pretty much non-existent other then evga cards are a little louder if you are running on air. If you are into heavy overclocking the card with sub-ambient temps, then the extra power phases stand a better chance to help out more, but as always still playing silicon lottery. 

ty_ger07
    Coil whine is caused by pulsating current flowing through coils ("inductors" in the voltage regulation circuitry controlling impedance). It is a simple electromagnetic phenomenon. Reducing the strength of the eletromagnetic field by increasing the number of coils (less current flowing through each individual coil) or increasing the quality of the coils makes a huge difference.

I agree with 90% of this. Simply having a lower current though the coil doesn't always mean less coil whine. What really makes the whine audible is that they are pulsing at a frequency that it inside the human hearing range. It has more to do with the frequency of the pulse, if that ends up in human hearing range, drawing more current will make louder because it will form a stronger magnetic field. You can draw tons of current though a coil but if its frequency its "whinging" at is outside your hearing range, well your not going to hear it.
    post edited by dave851 - 2014/11/06 06:03:43
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile