EVGA

Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default clocks!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Brimy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 250
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 14:24:32 (permalink)
Daz1967
I got my EVGA GTX 980 SC from Scan UK yesterday as an upgrade to my 16 month old EVGA GTX 780.

I'm very pleased with the overall performance increase of around 25-30% in the games and benchmarks I've ran so far but I've encountered two driver crashes while benchmarking unfortunately ("Driver has stopped responding and recovered" errors) which I never had on my GTX 780 unless I overclocked too far (I used a core offset of +100 MHz and a memory offset of +50 MHz). This SC model has a default core clock of 1,240 MHz according to GPU-Z v0.7.9 but does boost to 1,342-1,367 MHz during benchmarking. I have only been testing on the out of the box settings and have not overclocked anything (even my CPU is running at stock 3.5 GHz). I always do this to ensure everything is stable.

I was using the v344.11 WHQL drivers but I upgraded to the newer v344.16 beta ones yesterday evening. Also, because my PSU is modular I am using two separate 6+2 pin PCI-e leads to my GTX 980, which is how I had it set up for my GTX 780. Each lead does have two 6+2 pin connectors though so should I be using one and both connectors rather than two individual leads? I figured using two would spread the power load. Is that incorrect?

I normally play games with v-sync enabled so I am unlikely to be stressing my card to the extent I have during the benchmarking but I'm a bit concerned at the unstability issues at the moment. My previous GTX 780 has been 100% stable for the last year once I stopped overclocking it too much.

Advice?

If you have to downclock the GPU for it to work then the package has false advertising which is something i doubt a company like EVGA would want to do/risk.

You should have used two separate 6+2 cords and see if you get the same problem with stock clocks. You can use a twist tie to hole down/made to look presentable the extra two 6+2 pin leads on either cable. 

If you still get the error either contact EVGS's support via CHAT to see what they think or just RMA it pronto.

P630 | P8Z77-V PRO | i5 3570k@4.7Ghz | ASUS STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING CM Extreme Power Plus - 600W | 1x250GB 850EVO & 2x Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD | Patriot Viper 3 Series DDR3 16GB 2200MHz | XSPC Rs360 Kit | CM Storm QuickFire TK | Corsair M90 | Acer GN246HL | Canon PIXMA MG5320 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
erikdfier
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 14:29:00 (permalink)
Sajin
erikdfier

Indeed, I thought so too.  But, its not just Benchmarking is unstable, Playing both Crysis and Metro 2033 crash to desktop w/driver failure.  

Downclocking the card clears all this up correct?

Hey Sajin.   Yes, before my power Supply Failed, I was able to render the Metro 2033 Benchmark at Max quality a single time , 1X, I didn't try looping the benchmark with it down clocked, also this was with the 344.11 Driver.

With the new PSU and Graphics card Driver 344.16, I haven't Down-clocked the card and tested.  All this testing is time consuming, keep testing, trial and error on this thing is taking too much time out of my day.  At this point, I just want get a new card, this isn't just a gaming PC, its my work computer *i'm a game developer*

It really needs to be noted that the GPU operates reliably until it comes to playing Games or Benchmarking.  It has not crashed while working with both LightWave 3D and Adobe Photoshop CC running at the same time all day long.  Photoshop loads the GPU *Core clock at 1240.3* with the use of Open CL, Lightwave doesn't load the GPU much at all running Open GL.  My Fan profile is keeping the GPU cool at 48c.

Non OC'd 6 Core i7 4930k @ 3.9 ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition IvyBridgeE X79 - Corsair H110 Liquid Cpu Cooler - 32gb Crucial Ballistic Tactical 1866 mhz - 240 gb Sandisk Extreme II (Boot) - Win 8.1 Pro 64 - 1 tb Western Digital Green 5400 RPM (Storage) - MSI GTX 650 OC from > 980 SC - EVGA SuperNova 1300w PSU - Corsair Vengeance c70 Black Case (The Ammo Box)
erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 14:33:03 (permalink)
Brimy
Daz1967
I got my EVGA GTX 980 SC from Scan UK yesterday as an upgrade to my 16 month old EVGA GTX 780.

I'm very pleased with the overall performance increase of around 25-30% in the games and benchmarks I've ran so far but I've encountered two driver crashes while benchmarking unfortunately ("Driver has stopped responding and recovered" errors) which I never had on my GTX 780 unless I overclocked too far (I used a core offset of +100 MHz and a memory offset of +50 MHz). This SC model has a default core clock of 1,240 MHz according to GPU-Z v0.7.9 but does boost to 1,342-1,367 MHz during benchmarking. I have only been testing on the out of the box settings and have not overclocked anything (even my CPU is running at stock 3.5 GHz). I always do this to ensure everything is stable.

I was using the v344.11 WHQL drivers but I upgraded to the newer v344.16 beta ones yesterday evening. Also, because my PSU is modular I am using two separate 6+2 pin PCI-e leads to my GTX 980, which is how I had it set up for my GTX 780. Each lead does have two 6+2 pin connectors though so should I be using one and both connectors rather than two individual leads? I figured using two would spread the power load. Is that incorrect?

I normally play games with v-sync enabled so I am unlikely to be stressing my card to the extent I have during the benchmarking but I'm a bit concerned at the unstability issues at the moment. My previous GTX 780 has been 100% stable for the last year once I stopped overclocking it too much.

Advice?

If you have to downclock the GPU for it to work then the package has false advertising which is something i doubt a company like EVGA would want to do/risk.

You should have used two separate 6+2 cords and see if you get the same problem with stock clocks. You can use a twist tie to hole down/made to look presentable the extra two 6+2 pin leads on either cable. 

If you still get the error either contact EVGS's support via CHAT to see what they think or just RMA it pronto.

Brimy, this applies to me as well.  I am currently NOT using Two power Cords.  Im using a single PCI-E 6+2 pin + 6 pin to power this card.  

Non OC'd 6 Core i7 4930k @ 3.9 ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition IvyBridgeE X79 - Corsair H110 Liquid Cpu Cooler - 32gb Crucial Ballistic Tactical 1866 mhz - 240 gb Sandisk Extreme II (Boot) - Win 8.1 Pro 64 - 1 tb Western Digital Green 5400 RPM (Storage) - MSI GTX 650 OC from > 980 SC - EVGA SuperNova 1300w PSU - Corsair Vengeance c70 Black Case (The Ammo Box)
Brimy
Superclocked Member
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 14:42:08 (permalink)
erikdfier
Brimy
Daz1967

Advice?

Brimy, this applies to me as well.  I am currently NOT using Two power Cords.  Im using a single PCI-E 6+2 pin + 6 pin to power this card.  

Yes i understand that but i have noticed every "rig" is different and functions the same. What may work for you rig may not work on mine, especially with drivers. Ruling out all possible causes should be looked at no matter if it does not apply to someone else, is all i am saying.

For example i have switched motherboards last year and i never re-installed my OS, i just deleted the previous drivers and installed the newer ones and all worked well, i tried that for a build for a customer and only a fresh OS install worked for him. Another, example, i have the XSPC rs360 kit from late 2012 to now and the X20 750 v4 has worked since then to now, someone i know bought the ex240 kit and his pump died after 4 months.

So in my experience it is best to go through the process of elimination to rectify or narrow a cause to a problem.

P630 | P8Z77-V PRO | i5 3570k@4.7Ghz | ASUS STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING CM Extreme Power Plus - 600W | 1x250GB 850EVO & 2x Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD | Patriot Viper 3 Series DDR3 16GB 2200MHz | XSPC Rs360 Kit | CM Storm QuickFire TK | Corsair M90 | Acer GN246HL | Canon PIXMA MG5320 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 14:51:34 (permalink)
Brimy
erikdfier
Brimy
Daz1967

Advice?

Yes i understand that but i have noticed every "rig" is different and functions the same. What may work for you rig may not work on mine, especially with drivers. Ruling out all possible causes should be looked at no matter if it does not apply to someone else, is all i am saying.

For example i have switched motherboards last year and i never re-installed my OS, i just deleted the previous drivers and installed the newer ones and all worked well, i tried that for a build for a customer and only a fresh OS install worked for him. Another, example, i have the XSPC rs360 kit from late 2012 to now and the X20 750 v4 has worked since then to now, someone i know bought the ex240 kit and his pump died after 4 months.

So in my experience it is best to go through the process of elimination to rectify or narrow a cause to a problem.

Hey Brimy, I should have clarified, that my statement was more of a question than a refute to your point.    Now, I would like to know what is the Cord system that is best to deliver to the GTX 980 regardless.  So, do you think...  Dual 6 pin+2pin Connections, instead of the Single 6pin+2pin +6 pin?  I'm open to suggestion.

Brimy
Superclocked Member
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 15:02:28 (permalink)
erikdfier
Brimy
erikdfier
Brimy
Daz1967

Advice?

Hey Brimy, I should have clarified, that my statement was more of a question than a refute to your point.    Now, I would like to know what is the Cord system that is best to deliver to the GTX 980 regardless.  So, do you think...  Dual 6 pin+2pin Connections, instead of the Single 6pin+2pin +6 pin?  I'm open to suggestion.

Oh ok, i though you were saying something else.

Yes. I think you should try dual PCIe 6+2 pin cords from the PCIe outlet on the PSU and see if both of you get the same problem and if not well you can ascertain that is is the power draw from one cord that is the problem but if you get the problem it could be the driver or the GPU or maybe the PSU, for what ever reason.

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 21:00:35 (permalink)
Brimy, using dual 6+2 pin power cords had no effect on stability.

Re-installed old GTX 650 OC 2gb version and ran the metro 2033 benchmark again, set it to loop 20x and the system ran flawlessly.  

As for the GTX 980, This looks like a bad card or the 344.16 drivers are causing problems with the new architecture, or by chance its overloading a rather robust PSU... Regardless, Its back in the box to be returned.
post edited by erikdfier - 2014/09/24 21:06:04

enigma442
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1539
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 21:09:06 (permalink)
Just looking at your system specks do you mean your storage drive is 1 terabyte and not 1 gigabyte?
Also you may very well have an unstable card.

My specs.
Case-Corsair 800D full tower~LG Bluray  Burner.
Processor-Intel I7-3770K @4.2GHZ~Lighton Bluray Burner.
Motherboard-ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe
Memory-G.SKILL Ripjaws x 32GB. DDR3 1600 Dual Channel.
GPU-EVGA GTX-TITAN SC x2 in SLI  Water cooled EK full XXL blocks.
Power Supply-Corsair AX1200 Gold.
1 OCZ VERTEX 4 512GB SSD Boot Drive.1 Crucial M4 128GB SSD cache for Hitachi 2TB storage drive.                             1 WD Caviar Black 1-TB. 7200RPM Hard Drive.
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid cooling Solution for cpu.
Sound Blaster Zx soundcard.
Win.7 64BIT Professional.(Now playing with Win 8.1 to see how i like it.)

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/24 21:26:45 (permalink)
enigma442
Just looking at your system specks do you mean your storage drive is 1 terabyte and not 1 gigabyte?

Good eye man, fixed.  1gb storage, that would be pretty lame.

Brimy
Superclocked Member
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 03:28:02 (permalink)
erikdfier

Re-installed old GTX 650 OC 2gb version and ran the metro 2033 benchmark again, set it to loop 20x and the system ran flawlessly.  

As for the GTX 980, This looks like a bad card or the 344.16 drivers are causing problems with the new architecture, or by chance its overloading a rather robust PSU... Regardless, Its back in the box to be returned.

Alright well now i can understand you starting an RMA.....those things suck.
erikdfier
enigma442

Back in 1983 10gb HDDs were a seriously expensive thing, crap i just showed my age. Never make fun of where you came from man

slickrick289
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 17:37:29 (permalink)
I want you to be aware of something erikdfier. Going through this thread ive acertained that this is the exact problem I'm having albeit with a 780 Ti instead. All my games run fine except for two of them which are Crysis 3 and either one of the Metro Redux games. Both those games are severely flawed at the moment. If you head over to their respective forums, one in Steam and the other at the new EA HQ site, many people are getting constant crashes with stable hardware. After the recent patches, the Metro games have become very unstable. I spoke to a developer through steam and they are blaming Nvidia for the problems. All I know is that after the last few patches the game crashes randomly through playthrough. Crysis 3 is a lost cause as the developers have abandoned that game already.

In summary, I don't think it's your hardware, I think its those games. You said so yourself that those are the only games giving you issue. Go to those threads and you'll see what I'm talking about. I unfortunately cannot post them here.
post edited by slickrick289 - 2014/09/25 17:40:09

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 17:50:26 (permalink)
slickrick289
I want you to be aware of something erikdfier. Going through this thread ive acertained that this is the exact problem I'm having albeit with a 780 Ti instead. All my games run fine except for two of them which are Crysis 3 and either one of the Metro Redux games. Both those games are severely flawed at the moment. If you head over to their respective forums, one in Steam and the other at the new EA HQ site, many people are getting constant crashes with stable hardware. After the recent patches, the Metro games have become very unstable. I spoke to a developer through steam and they are blaming Nvidia for the problems. All I know is that after the last few patches the game crashes randomly through playthrough. Crysis 3 is a lost cause as the developers have abandoned that game already.

In summary, I don't think it's your hardware, I think its those games. You said so yourself that those are the only games giving you issue. Go to those threads and you'll see what I'm talking about. I unfortunately cannot post them here.

I only own 3 games, Crysis 3 (origin,) Metro 2033 and State of Decay (steam) *i'm a console gamer convert*  I've completely played through Crysis 3, Metro 2033.  I blasted through them using the same PC and Old Graphics card GTX 650 OC in a couple days each.  Hours spent during each session.  Upon installing the GTX 980, I restarted playing Both Crysis and Metro on higher settings and both games crash during extended periods of play.

I believe the drivers are the issue as well.  Evga, upon contacting them is also said that a lot of driver fails have been reported, and recommended that I wait for another driver update, if its not stable after a new driver update then I should return the card.

Brimy
Superclocked Member
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 17:53:08 (permalink)
slickrick289

Do you and erikdfier have a CPU OC on your system? This can also produce these crashes in certain games. As i recall, going from the 335.23WHQL driver to the 337.50 beta and up i had to add voltage to my 4.5Ghz and 4.7Ghz OC on my 3570k just to play CoD Ghosts for just to load. So it could be the game and if yo have any OC and not really the GPU.

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 17:57:36 (permalink)
Brimy
erikdfier

erikdfier
enigma442

Back in 1983 10gb HDDs were a seriously expensive thing, crap i just showed my age. Never make fun of where you came from man

Hahah!  You stepped in it brother.  I completely avoided the 1gb storage drive reference on purpose to avoid showing my age.  But, my first computer was a C=64 and I was a teenager ;)

Brimy
Superclocked Member
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 18:03:35 (permalink)
erikdfier
Brimy
erikdfier

erikdfier
enigma442

Hahah!  You stepped in it brother.  I completely avoided the 1gb storage drive reference on purpose to avoid showing my age.  But, my first computer was a C=64 and I was a teenager ;)

My first PC was from a bank when they changed out their old system for some new ones. I was working with the guys whom had the contract and the bank just said keep the old systems and he gave me one. Man it was like Christmas in May for me that day!

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 18:11:19 (permalink)
Brimy
slickrick289

Do you and erikdfier have a CPU OC on your system? This can also produce these crashes in certain games. As i recall, going from the 335.23WHQL driver to the 337.50 beta and up i had to add voltage to my 4.5Ghz and 4.7Ghz OC on my 3570k just to play CoD Ghosts for just to load. So it could be the game and if yo have any OC and not really the GPU.

No Over Clock on my machine.  I don't plan to OC the machine either.    

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 18:13:40 (permalink)
Testing a 3rd Game.  "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter." Literally just came out within the last hour on Steam.  Its installed and running, will likely put some hours into the game, unless the game crashes.

Brimy
Superclocked Member
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 18:41:38 (permalink)
erikdfier
Testing a 3rd Game.  "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter." Literally just came out within the last hour on Steam.  Its installed and running, will likely put some hours into the game, unless the game crashes.

If you get no crashes then it is safe to say it is the game/s as slickrick289 said.

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 20:27:18 (permalink)
Brimy
erikdfier

If you get no crashes then it is safe to say it is the game/s as slickrick289 said.

Indeed, however I'm not sure if its using direct x 11.  Specs on Steam only mention Dx9.
post edited by erikdfier - 2014/09/25 20:32:28

WhiteNoise
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/25 21:45:32 (permalink)
I'm running a 970 myself and the latest nvidia drivers keep crashing. It's very frustrating. I don't know if its the card or the drivers. I'm waiting on a new driver release to see what happens but I'm ready to throw this card out the window.
Misterbond
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/27 19:36:03 (permalink)
Same problem here

Got my EVGA GTX 980 SC today, made a clean install of the drivers (344.16) and played Assassins Creeds 3 for about 1 hour and worked flawless. Then I tried do make some benchmarks with Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (using stock clocks).
First run was perfect, but when I tried the second run the software started to freeze and then crashed.

Now when try to play Assassins Creeds 3 or TF2 or any other game that is 3D the game crashes (sometime even at the menu)

Tried with 344.11 but the crashing continues. Also, noticed that after crashing Nvidia's driver lock my Core Clock at 999 MAX, that way I can play without problems, but as expected, with fps impact... so... its really a OC issue

Before the 980 I had 2 x 660ti in sli, so I dont think that its the PSU, my PUS is a CoolerMaster SilentProM 850w
Already tried putting the power limit up to 125% using MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision but same problem.

RMA looks like the only path now :(

Here are some pictures to have and idea of the problem
At the first one you can see some blue blocks... wth o0
The second one you can see that the CORE CLOCK goes higher than the BOOST CLOCK, is that possible? Also is it normal to my Power Consumption be at 61% while the core clock is at 1392?

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/28 20:47:21 (permalink)
Misterbond
Same problem here

Got my EVGA GTX 980 SC today, made a clean install of the drivers (344.16) and played Assassins Creeds 3 for about 1 hour and worked flawless. Then I tried do make some benchmarks with Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (using stock clocks).
First run was perfect, but when I tried the second run the software started to freeze and then crashed.

Now when try to play Assassins Creeds 3 or TF2 or any other game that is 3D the game crashes (sometime even at the menu)

Tried with 344.11 but the crashing continues. Also, noticed that after crashing Nvidia's driver lock my Core Clock at 999 MAX, that way I can play without problems, but as expected, with fps impact... so... its really a OC issue

Before the 980 I had 2 x 660ti in sli, so I dont think that its the PSU, my PUS is a CoolerMaster SilentProM 850w
Already tried putting the power limit up to 125% using MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision but same problem.

RMA looks like the only path now :(

Here are some pictures to have and idea of the problem
At the first one you can see some blue blocks... wth o0
The second one you can see that the CORE CLOCK goes higher than the BOOST CLOCK, is that possible? Also is it normal to my Power Consumption be at 61% while the core clock is at 1392?

That sucks. I have no advice about the situation you have as it seems worse than my own here since I have benchmarked Heaven for HOURs; however we have similar issues for example, no problems until benchmarking crashed the driver, then everything DX 11 became unstable.  I wouldn't be surprised if this whole issue was just bad drivers for our hardware setups and will be easily worked out in a couple months.  

erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/28 20:56:04 (permalink)
I just want to follow up again.  I did successfully complete a newly released Unreal Engine based Direct X 9 game on the GTX 980, " The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" via Steam, it ran absolutely flawlessly, full detail, 8X antialiasing and VSync locked at 60 FPS at 1680x1050 resolution.  Core Clock was locked at 1366.7 MHZ.  Ran beautifully.

BUT:  Direct X 11 games crash 100% if played long enough.

I think this issue needs to be more pronounced on the Nvidia Forums as were not getting anywhere here at the EVGA forums.  Hopefully EVGA is listening as I do want to support their products in the future.

NOTE:  For the record: The OP did create the exact issue/problem, the same day he posted here on the Nvidia forum, not much resulted there, but I think the issue needs to be continued at Nvidia's forum.  

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/29 01:41:45 (permalink)
Wait next driver and than replace card, it's not NVIDIA guilty.
Other GTX980 cards work in same applications.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/29 06:41:12 (permalink)
jonny30bass

I guess you could always try DDU:
hxxp://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

(Can't wait until I can post links, geez!)

I love DDU! It's so easy to clean install new drivers with this program.

Inertio
bcavnaugh
Before you removed your GTX 780 and installed your new GTX 980 did you remove ALL NVIDIA Drivers?

On a Side Note that I have learned to do is delete the two Keys listed below.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video
It will error and say it cannot delete the Key, but that is ok as it cannot delete the Key itself nor the Default VGA Driver GUIDs.
What it will delete is all the GUID's for NVIDIA's Drivers. REBOOT After you delete the Keys.
This is the last item that I do before I install a New Video Drivers.

I guess you could always try DDU:
hxxp://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

(Can't wait until I can post links, geez!)

It is more of removing the Drivers from you current card before installing a newer card of a different model.
How you do it is up to each user. My self I used CCleaner for a while but stopped.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Misterbond
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/29 16:28:31 (permalink)
erikdfier

That sucks. I have no advice about the situation you have as it seems worse than my own here since I have benchmarked Heaven for HOURs; however we have similar issues for example, no problems until benchmarking crashed the driver, then everything DX 11 became unstable.  I wouldn't be surprised if this whole issue was just bad drivers for our hardware setups and will be easily worked out in a couple months.   

Excatly! Everything went down right after running the benchmark heaven...
Im gonna send it to RMA... lets see if lucky this time
erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/30 17:21:52 (permalink)
Update:

Just wanted to mention that my GTX 980 Graphics card issue appears to be a problem with PhysX software installed.  I successfully removed PhysX from the system and everything runs without crashing.  

Upon re-installing PhysX; from the same release build, the game or benchmark causes the display driver to crash.

*note:  I guess I could have simply turned PhysX OFF from the Nvidia Display Control panel.*

Without PhysX - Everything plays flawlessly including 20 runs of the Metro Bench Mark.

Edit:  I've also Read there is possibility of 344.16 drivers have issues with my Specific Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition - X79 / Ivy Bridge E.  

http://www.overclock.net/t/1513920/official-nvidia-gtx-980-owners-club/1220

http://steamcommunity.com/app/287390/discussions/0/613935403964830629/?insideModal=1#p12

https://forums.geforce.co...ead-9-23-14/?offset=96

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041119517

post edited by erikdfier - 2014/09/30 20:32:33

Misterbond
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/30 17:37:58 (permalink)
Só it would be a drivers problem? Because im packing right now mine SC version to rma and get a evga 980 normal version. If it was just a drivers problem i would keep the SC version
erikdfier
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/30 17:47:18 (permalink)
Misterbond
Só it would be a drivers problem? Because im packing right now mine SC version to rma and get a evga 980 normal version. If it was just a drivers problem i would keep the SC version

Hey Misterbond, Wish I had advice for you on this situation.  Before you package it up, can you test the removal of PhysX real fast?

Misterbond
Re: Driver stopped responding and recovered errors with my EVGA GTX 980 SC on default cloc 2014/09/30 17:49:12 (permalink)
Yeah! Im at my girlfriends house right now but im running home to teste it an then post my feedback here. My motherboard its a sabertooth 990fx r2... Gonna check if it hás any similarity with yours
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile